5.0 out of 5 stars It's Jimi for crying out loud....
Sure it's not perfect. Video could have been better. Audio could have been better. Playlist could have had 1 or 2 others.

But for what you get, Jimi in concert, it's a home run.

I've now got Jimi and Jim (Morrison with Doors at Holywood Bowl). Two legends no longer with us.

If only I had similar for Duane Allman.
Published 3 months ago by Hank Kingsley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last of the Best
Published on Feb. 16 2005 by jimifan

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Jimi for crying out loud...., March 31 2014
This review is from: Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight (DVD)

But for what you get, Jimi in concert, it's a home run.

If only I had similar for Duane Allman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jimi at his finest, Aug. 30 2013
Gary G. Kasmar (Vancouver, BC) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight (DVD)
The Isle Of Wight concert would have been great to be at. As well, check out the bonus features on the disc for more tunes.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably his best video release, June 20 2011
Gis A. Bun (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight (DVD)
While raw, this is probably the best video release of any Hendrix show.

This 2011 release is an expanded 3 hour edition with additional recently found footage included with also features Hey Joe [according to thew Hendrix web site].

A Blu-ray edition would of been nice [none listed as yet].

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last of the Best, Feb. 16 2005
jimifan (alberta canada) - See all my reviews
Jimi was a gift for all of us to enjoy. Too bad there is not a great legacy that is worthy of DVD viewing. This is one of the few that gives us fans a look at the genius of the man with the guitar. One just has to overlook the lack of audio and video quality and appreciate it for what it really is. It's pure Jimi, to be cherished by his true fans. To the casual fan, you may want to pass on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars IT ALL COMES TOGETHER HERE, June 30 2004
I just finished watching this, and it is awesome! I prefer this period of Jimi's career, when he played with Mitch Mitchell and Billy Cox, though the Experience were brilliant as well. With this DVD, you get Jimi playing LONG solos and his more experimental songs, though he does throw in some "greatest hits". The color film footage is superb and Jimi's wearing one of his coolest stage costumes ever! He looks like a total guitar god, but then he always did! The sound mix is excellent compared to the old Isle of Wight film. The camera angles are great - it's the best seat in the house, like being on stage, and it is edited well. I highly recommend this to any Jimi fan. It is a MUST!

5.0 out of 5 stars The One to Get, June 29 2004
Jason D Moss (Eugene, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Judging from the clips of Hendrix's Isle of Wight performance that I've seen in other documentaries, I always thought that this 1970 show in front of 600,000 people represented the sad end of Jimi's career. True, Hendrix wrestled with numerous technical problems and an audience obnoxiously yelling for hits, but that's only the half of it. The other half, to my delight, consists in moments of humor, a great set list and a relentless series of "jaw meet floor" guitar moments. In fact, of all the Hendrix DVDs available, this should be at the top af any true fan's list.
Since this is a complete concert, you get a real sense of Hendrix's ability to shape the otherwise chaotic energy of a 1960s rock show into a series of peaks to which he gingerly leads the assembled and just as carefully brings them home from. It's not just the rapid-fire blues scale runs that impress; witness his driving rhythm playing in All Along the Watchtower, his fluttering double-stops and tasteful dominant-chord comping throughout. The "Machine Gun" here rivals the version from the original Band of Gypsys record, and as for the rendition of Red House...considering that Hendrix is the best electric rock/blues guitarist in history and that Red House is his best blues song, this is simply one of the greatest blues performances ever recorded - and I say that with all due respect to the originators of the form. Jimi's blues at that time were very real; the hellhound of death was on his trail, and his only refuge was another hotel room in another of his endless tour stops. But The Master was still vital, and this DVD should put to rest the myth that he was creatively burning out in 1970. So don't buy the hype - Isle of Wight was a great Hendrix gig, and Blue Wild Angel is your front row ticket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, June 14 2004
Julie A Ross (Pleasant Hill, CA United States) - See all my reviews
When I first saw Jimi's Isle of Wight concert on the original release, I wasn't too happy with it. Seeing this DVD, I now love it. In the first film, fans are presented with chopped up versions of songs, less talk and less fiddling that Jimi did on stage. Here you see it all. That leaves me with only one suggestion: how about a DVD release of the entire Woodstock performance?

3.0 out of 5 stars Lack of focus, June 4 2004
By A Customer
I've watched some of Hendrix¡¯s best performances before. This is by far the least inspiring. He's chewing a gum, skipping lyrics and guitar notes. I have always thought Hendrix was the most expressive guitarist of all time, and I still do believe so. This concert is just a bad occasion.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Performance, June 2 2004
I would have preferred better mixing, and its not Jimi's best performance. However, it is an essential DVD for those who wish to see the Experience live. Overall it's very enjoyable and I'd buy it again if I ever lose it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two words: MACHINE GUN, May 24 2004
A Hendrix Fan (Louisville, Kentucky United States) - See all my reviews
This is my favorite Hendrix show. At first I bought the 2 CD digipak and loved every minute of it. I listened to the whole concert over and over. One day I finally decided to buy the DVD, and I was amazed. I watched the whole show, gazing at my hero onstage tuning his guitar, giving gestures to his bandmates, adjusting the amps. This is an amazing show, it starts out with Hendrix doing his rendition of God Save The Queen, it's very entertaining I might add. But the one song that made my jaw hit the floor was MACHINE GUN, sure I was amazed when I heard it, but actually seeing it is another experience. Electrifying. I love seeing Hendrix play Ezy Ryder, Freedom, and Dolly Dagger, since they weren't released during his lifetime. I'm not sure whether the crowd was more into the concert or I was, but this one blew my mind as far as Hendrix performances go. Other highlights include Spanish Castle Magic, Red House, Foxey Lady, Message To Love, and In From The Storm. Get this DVD it's amazing.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight
Blue Wild Angel: Live at the Isle of Wight by Jimi Hendrix (DVD - 2011)
CDN$ 15.00