Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Explore the Amazon.ca Vinyl LP Records Store Cycling Tools

The Crow [Blu-ray + DVD]
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$14.83+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 212 reviews(5 star)show all reviews
I haven't read the comic... and when they made the movie I really didn't know it was based on a comic. Well I can tell that I've almost seen every movie with Brandon Lee playing in it... Although he only played in (mostly) action movies he played his best part in "The Crow"... I watched the movie the first time right after it was released. I've always been a big fan of Bruce Lee his father but also of Brandon Lee because he didn't want people to see him like his father. Brandon always wanted to play in a non-action movie and I know The Crow is one of those... His acting in this movie is good... I know they use a lot of CGI which is done superb. Yes, the fact that he was really killed in the movie made me see it even more.

This is the ultimate movie about vengeance from beyond the grave, good versus evil, wrongs made right, and the power of love conquering all. That last line may sound straight out of a chick flick, but this movie is anything but. Eric Draven is one of the most emotionally deep characters of all time. He drives through the plot with such power and momentum, never letting the adrenaline slow. If you want to see a true artist performing a true work of art, watch Brandon Lee in The Crow. Any artist can recognize the beauty of Brandon Lee's work here. Just like his father, Brandon Lee has mastered the artless art.

In addition to Brandon Lee's amazing mastery of Eric Draven, Michael Wincott is incredible as Top Dollar, the villainous leader of the gang infamous for beginning the tradition of Devil's Night. Rochelle Davis's performance as Sarah was superb, despite the fact that "The Crow" is the only movie she's ever been in.

The Crow is also full of memorable scenes, and quotes. "It can't rain all the time." became a household phrase among some of my friends and anyone familiar with the scene will know why I adore "Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." I can truthfully say that this is one of the better made films in all of the years since "The Crow" came out in 1994. It has a special magic that I sorely miss in today's movies. RIP Lee.
on January 3, 2004
In the history of screen adaptations of comic books, Alex Proyas's adaptation of James O'Barr's underground comic _The Crow_ is one of the finest. I like Marvel Comics a lot and I've enjoyed most of the recent adaptations of the Marvel catalogue. But in comics-to-screen-land, I have _three_ favorite Lees: Stan, Ang, and the late Brandon.
(Brandon Lee, as most visitors to this page will already know, died tragically as this film was being produced. That's a terrible loss and it adds an even darker edge to an already dark film.)
Alex Proyas, who would later give us the haunting noir-SF _Dark City_, here turns his directorial hand to bringing _The Crow_ to (heh heh) life. The film recalls all the best elements of Tim Burton's first _Batman_ film and, I think, outdoes its predecessor by quite a bit.
You probably already know the plot here. Rock musician Eric Draven (d'Raven; get it?) and his fiancee Shelly Webster are brutally murdered on Devil's Night (the night before Halloween). Exactly one year later, Draven returns temporarily to life in order to exact revenge on the thugs who murdered them. Which he does, very stylishly.
Dressed in Goth black and with his face painted white, he comes across as something like a vampire, something like a one-man combination of Batman and the Joker, and something like the old comic book hero the Spectre (remember? murdered policeman Jim Corrigan returned from the dead?). The whole thing is calculated, in the old Batman phrase, to strike terror into the hearts of evildoers, and so is Draven's remarkable healing ability: since his wounds close over just about as fast as they're formed, he's all but unstoppable.
Anyway, the overarching theme is that love is eternal, but along the way we get to see a lot of dark and gratifying violence as the bad guys get what's coming to them.
The cast and the script are magnificent. Of course the late Brandon Lee steals the show. But everybody else is good too, including the bird.
The cinematography is brilliant. Everything is muted into almost pure black and white, with occasional touches of red. The cityscape is wonderfully realized, fitting somewhere between Burton's Gotham and Proyas's own Dark City. And it always seems to be raining. On top of all that, the entire thing is lifted high into the (night) sky by Graeme Revell's otherworldly score.
If you like noir fantasy, don't miss this one. The genre doesn't get any better.
on June 26, 2004
Brandon Lee plays Eric Draven in this story of revenge and justice. Eric Draven and his fiancee are alone on "Devil's Night" which has been named that because of the crime and arson that goes on in the city. Devil's Night takes place on the night before Halloween. Eric and his fiancee are interrupted by a group of thugs that rape and kill Eric's fiancee in front of him, and then proceed to kill him. Now the idea of The Crow is this; when a person dies, a crow carries their soul to the afterlife, but sometimes the crow will bring the person back for unfinished business. Guided by the crow, Draven returns to exact revenge on those responsible for the rape and murders, and he targets each and every person involved. He returns as a tortured soul, bent on revenge for taking the life that he and his fiancee Shelly wanted to live, a life that was taken from them for no reason.Along the way Eric is helped by Sargeant Albrecht, who is the only one who truly cared about bringing the killers to justice. Every time Eric kills one, the task at hand gets harder as he gets to the source of the evil.
This is a superb film, perfect in every way in my opinion. It is dark, graphic and I would even go so far to call this a true masterpiece of American cinema. Brandon Lee plays his role with a passion, truly giving the dark feel of this film and the message behind it. It really is a shame that he died, I think he would have been a great actor. But this is his legacy, and it is a great legacy to leave behind. I have not seen the 2 sequels yet, but I am fairly certain this is the best one. I encourage you to see this movie if you haven't already.
The dvd itself is packed with extras that take an interesting behind-the-scenes look at the film as well as other things. The movie really sounds great turned way up on a surround system, and the picture quality is great.I should also mention the soundtrack to the movie, which is one of the best I have ever heard. Seeing this will make you want to buy the soundtrack, it is just that cool. My only regret about this movie is that I didnt see it sooner. So I have given my opinion, and I really recommend that you see this movie. If it isn't considered one already, it will go down as a true classic in cinema for the rest of time.
on April 21, 2004
Eric Draven was killed on Devil's Night; that night before Halloween when evil arsonists run amok, causing fear and destruction throughout the city. His fiancee, Shelly Webster, was raped and murdered in front of him on that same night. It is said that when someone dies, a crow carries their soul to the land of the dead, ... but, sometimes, the crow will bring them back for revenge! That's just what happens in 1994's comic book-based "The Crow," a dark, beautifully gothic tale of violence, revenge, and justice.
One year after his death, Eric (Brandon Lee, in his tragic, final role) returns as an unstoppable force of vengeance, with a supernatural Crow as his guide to those whom he must destroy. One by one, Eric takes out the scumbags that took his life and love, Shelly. As his work becomes more challenging, he enlists the aid of kindhearted Police Sergeant Albrecht, played by beloved Ghostbuster Ernie Hudson. Together, they protect a young girl named Sarah, as Eric goes on with his vigilante executions, eventually leading him to a much bigger source of evil.
The Crow is a masterpiece of modern film. The first in the now popular style of dark, gothic tales of supernatural Urban warfare. The tale is cold and unforgiving, yet equally touching, and straight from the heart of creator James O'Barr. The film is dark and graphic, and perfectly matched to the story it tells. The acting is superb, the writing poetic, and the attention to detail baffling. This is a film that is truly an event to watch, as simple as the story may be. The DVD is loaded with extras that really give you insight into the depth the film-makers went to bring The Crow to the big screen. You'll also get a keen understanding of the comic and its creator, or at least, as best as you can without reading the comic yourself.
Tragically, Brandon Lee was shot and killed while filming this Masterpiece of a movie in a somewhat suspicious "accident." Who knows what wonderful films we would have today, had that accident not occurred. As it stands however, this film will go on as Brandon's gift for generations and generations to come.
on April 12, 2004
I watched the other 2 crows before this, and I thought they were just pure garbage. One day I was flipping through channels and saw the crow 1, I was thinking this might have been the garbage that started it all. But when I saw it , it had something the other crows didn't have, potential, charisma, energy, ambition, and a wonderful plot.
This is a story about Eric(Brandon Lee) returnung from the dead, and avenging his love Shelly(Sofia Shinas) and going up aganst a large gang that goes on a rampage on their personal holiday called devil's night.
Brandon Lee delivers his greatest, and sadly his last performance of his carrer.(I'm sure this promised him a successful movie carrer). This movie does a great job of combining fantasy, drama, romance, and action it. Anyone who loves action/goth/fantasy/type movies sould definitly give this movie a shot.
Interesting fact:Brandon Lee just like his father Bruce Lee died on the set. Bruce Lee died from Cerebral Edema, and Brandon Lee died from a cap of a .44 shot(When he got shot up by all of Top Dollar's men. It's sad how this is sort of a "father like son" saying.
P.S.:When Brandon Lee died, it's like he took the crow saga with him. The other two sucked; it's like what happened to the Matrix, and Robocop. Why did they stop making the crow saga? Cuz when the first one came out, the sun shined, then it started to rain when the other two cam out. I guess they figured out the first crow's saying "It can't rain all the time"
peace
on January 13, 2004
Tragically, this film has been dismissed by many critics as an excessively violent movie designed to play to an audience of teenage Goths and vampire wannabees harboring a morbid fascination with death. Equally tragic is the fact that the star of the film never got to see the completed picture, as he died in an on-set accident near the end of principal photography. With his widow's consent, the filmmakers persevered and completed the film, intercutting doubles and digital reinsertions of Brandon Lee into the film.
Based on James O'Barr's graphic novel, the film was a groundbreaking entry into the realm of adult "comic book" fiction, using a non-traditional superhero (in many ways, an anti-hero) as its protagonist. This dark film showed studio execs the power and profit waiting to be mined from graphic novel/comic book fiction. Without the overwhelming success of The Crow, the dark heroes in Spawn, Blade, Road to Perdition, LXG, and the forthcoming Constantine and Hellboy might never have made it to the silver screen.
The film has always had the following aspects I found appealing:
1. The delicious characterization of the antagonists in the film. Although some border on caricature, the villans are all uniquely evil, and all receive retribution commensurate for their crimes. Particularly juicy are David Patrick Kelly's Milton-quoting "T-Bird" and Michael Wincott's "Top Dollar," who has it all but wants even more.
2. The poetic justice of the villans (usually) having their own vices turned against them. Particularly impressive is the death of T-Bird, whose tendencies toward arson are rewarded with his incendiary demise behind the wheel of his eponymous vehicle, and the Crow's subsequent "signature," left in flaming accelerant at the scene of the crime.
3. The unique way in which a theme that has been done frequently (love is stronger than death) is handled throughout the film.
4. The stunning incorporation of music. Alex Proyas has been unfairly criticized for turning the film into one long music video. Certainly, the combination of Proyas' visual sense with the dark, nihilistic music of NIN, STP, The Cure, Rollins Band, Helmet, and Violent Femmes (just to name a few) displays his roots in directing music videos, but the film seamlessly oscillates between Graeme Revell's tender, melodic score and the film's heavy, alternative soundtrack at just the right moments.
Although the ill-advised sequels failed to live up to the visual (or box office) power of the original, The Crow offers a mournfully tragic, yet redeeming story if the viewer can look past the violence and strong language to the beauty of the story of eternal love and justice that lies beneath.
on January 10, 2004
Brandon Lee stars in this masterpiece. His last movie, Rapid Fire was not this good with this much emotion. The sad thing about this movie is that Brandon Lee got shot during the making. Knowing this makes the movie even more sad. However, this movie is still a classic. Now, having watched this movie about 30 times over the last month qualifies for a review. For the review I will give an overview of the movie and my thoughts about the movie.
Eric Draven, a musician (played by Bruce Lee) and his fiance, Shelly, are brutally murdered. Eric Draven's spirit, however, cannot sleep until he rights the wrongs and gives justice to those men who murdered them. So, Eric, guided by the crow, sets off after Top Dollar and his cronies (T-Bird, Skank, Funboy, and Tin-Tin).
The movie may get criticized for him just killing off the guys, but if your girlfriend got raped and killed, wouldn't you go off and kill the men who did it? I think that the movie has a lot of emotion and shows the kind of drama I have yet to see in a movie. I feel that, even though I'm 12 years old, that it made an impact on me. I could see the emotion and the chemistry between Eric and Shelly, and when I saw that they got killed right after seeing all of the love they had for each other, made me cry like you wouldn't believe. I would definitely recommend the movie and I highly suggest you get a box of kleenex. Brandon Lee's last moment on earth is a triumphant one, and he would be proud if he knew the impact it has on people today.
on December 11, 2003
I didn't know he was the kid of Bruce Lee. The whole fact that I waited to see this movie on encore really depresses me. My dad told me to get out when he was watching it on dvd a long time ago. I never got to see it until now. This movie is awesome.
The first thing you will probably notice is the set. It's probably one of the best ever done next to lord of the rings, possibly even better. Everything is gothic and such. You will mabye feel comfortable in the setting once(in the little girls house) but thats basically it.
Anyways, this dead rockstar comes back to life to avenge his death and the death/rape of his girlfriend. He sets out on revenge and he basically is the perfect combination of good and evil.
As for the other reviews. The movie is good. I saw that most of the reviews have 0 out of 2 or 0 out of 1. That is because 2 people who hate violent movies decided to make everyone's reviews look bad. This movie is awesome. Every review should be 5 stars. Action, drama, a little humor, and the best set designs make this an above-average action film that is a true classic.
on September 9, 2003
I know there are other reviews about this movie, but I have to add mine. This is my favorite film of all time, of any film. It has all the elements that a great film should have - it's dark and romantic; it has action, a fabulous plot, great characters, and an awesome soundtrack to boot.
What stands out for me most in this film is the incredible Brandon Lee, (R.I.P.), in what was his first and unfortunately last film with a major starring role. He is passionate and vulnerable and utterly believable as Eric, the murdered lover back from the dead to avenge himself and his fiance. His scenes with his young friend Sarah and police Officer Albrecht are touching and funny, and as well done as his physical fighting. Brandon was on his way to a bright career. The real life tragedy attached to this film only serves to make it even more haunting.
Just as a quick aside, the sequels are decent flicks, but nothing can compare to the original.
We all secretly long for someone to love us so deeply that their love transcends time and death. That is what speaks to me in this film. I recommend it 100 times over.
on September 2, 2003
I'll be the first to admit that when this movie was released, I wasn't in a rush to see it. Needless to say, I ate my words.
I absolutely love this film!
"The Crow" tells the story of Eric Draven, a young rock star who's life is devoted to his art and his fiancee, Shelly Webster. When hoodlums brutally murder them both in their apartment on Halloween, Eric is resurrected and returns to avenge his and Shelly's murderers one by one. The Crow is born.
Yes, the movie is dark, gloomy and violent, but that doesn't take away from its substance. This movie has heart. It tells everyone that true love survives even in death.
Brandon Lee, forever remembered now for is accidental and ill-timed death while this film was in production, has never looked so beautiful. He plays this tortured soul so effortlessly but still adds a little humor to the somber mood. The action is great, the dialogue is great. In a nutshell, everything about this movie is great. You'd be missing out if you refused to see this.
As Eric Draven said..."It's not a good day to be a bad guy."