1,208 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have album
"Nevermind" is one of the greatest albums of our time. For any of you who are interested in what killed 80's Rock and infiltrated Alternative, listen to this album.
Published on July 5 2004 by Jack

2.0 out of 5 stars How do you screw this up?
I have been listening to Nirvana since 92, collecting every thing I could, both official on non-official. My mouth was watering over this release since I now only buy vinyl records...but then I listened to it.

Published on Oct. 27 2011 by Matt Williams

2.0 out of 5 stars How do you screw this up?, Oct. 27 2011
Matt Williams "Matt Williams" (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews

My main problem is with LP 1 (Nevermind Remastered) - This is the worst of it (It's all pretty bad though). Compared to my 2009 pressing, the cymbals have been nearly stripped of their presence. The beauty of Dave's crashing has been flattened down. It all sounds more like a badly mixed CD than a high quality vinyl. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me so pulled the remaster off my turntable and threw on my 2009 copy. While the new one made my ears ache, the original drew me right through to the end of a side, like it always does. The new version is devoid of any depth and there are obvious clipping issues. I'm afraid to turn this thing up for fear of that awful overdriven distortion creeping in. Kurt's vocals on parts of Lithium sound especially bad, artificially distorting. I didn't believe it on the first listen, but after comparing to the original there is no mistaking it. I'm am no expert but this does not sound like it is even analog sourced. The 2009 vinyl edition was remastered from the original analog master tapes. Buy this while you still can.

Aside from this, the track listing shows UME has no idea what a person listening to vinyl records wants. Boombox demos are unnecessary on a audiophile medium, but they took it further and split them across 2 records. Logic would tell you they could have been on one separate LP so you could listen to it once and put it aside, but hey, what do I know?

For the other material, I'm willing to settle since it's the only way you are going to get this rare material on vinyl. The highlight is actually the last side of the last record. Early versions of Drain You, Something in the Way (loud as hell, in a good way) and the standard Endless Nameless.

All in all, this could have been so much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have album, July 5 2004
Jack (Flint, MI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
Kurt Cobain's voice is scratchy but he uses it the rite way. He is no better than an average guitarist, but the genre of "grunge" didn't rely on that. Krist Novelsevic is one of the greatest bassists ever as well as Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters) on drums.
The CD kicks off with the overly catchy "Smells Like Teen Spirit". This is a heavy song that epitomises grunge. Next is the loud rock song "In Bloom". Upon hearing this, you'll find yourself tapping out the drums with Dave. Krist sets a great rhythm with his pulsing bass. The third single of four is "Come as You Are". This is a bass heavy song that dwells on Kurt's "take me for what I am" thoughts. The four song is the speed drumming, lyric slurring "Breed". The fifth song and final single is catchy "Lithium". A more up-tempo song on their alternative side. You'll find this song stuck in your head. The first acoustic song is favorite, "Polly". This is an anti-rape song magnifying Kurt's views. Truly a great song. "Territorial Pissings" is a punk song coming from the bands early influences. You might as well look the lyrics up before you listen to it. Track eight is a popular favorite "Drain You". This song illustrates the effects of love and hate. "Lounge Act" starts off with a great bass strum into a poppy chorus. Song ten is the screaming loud song "Stay Away". "On a Plain" follows as Kurt fills us in on his poor background and childhood. Finally is the acoustic "Something in the Way". An extremely depressing ballad. There is also a hidden track known as "Endless Nameless". This is the Nirvana old fans are used to. This song draws a wide variety of opinions but I love it, it's just so LOUD!
Every song on this CD is great. If you like the heavier songs, listen to "Incesticide"(1992) or "Bleach" ((1989)no Dave Grohl). This CD is more like "In Utero" (1993). It was their mainstream debut and was widely coppied by other bands, STP, Toadies, and early Bush. This is a fantastic record and I would die without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Somebody PLEASE boot AFI K. James off Amazon!, June 29 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I'm sorry, but AFI K. James is an utter creep. And no, not the Negative variety, he's more like the malicious kind who never has anything good to say about anything, and continues to harass people when they aren't swayed by his stupidity. The bottom line: Everybody likes what they like. And if you don't like that philosophy, go the hell away from us actual human beings and rot alone behind your wall of loneliness. Everybody likes their own type of music, so leave it at that. I can see the validity of a less-than-shining review of a Nirvana album, so long as the reviewer is honestly expressing how they aren't satisfied with what it offers. AFI K. James just rips Nirvana because he has nothing better to do on Friday nights, weekends, and weekdays than to submit rip after rip of Nirvana. What's more, he copies & pastes his "reviews" and "band recommendations" from other people without their consent! So not only is he a nuisance that needs booting off Amazon, he's also plagiarizer. I think that is grounds to boot the guy of of Amazon. All in all, Nevermind is a good record, people. It's worth buying just as much as anything else.

5.0 out of 5 stars This review isn't about the album, but about AFI K James, June 24 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
First of all I don't think this album is that great. I've listened to it a few times, it's mediocre. Two, maybe three stars in my opinion. But the reason I'm giving this 5 stars is to spite AFI K James. Some idiot who has reviewed this album at least 10 times, and givin it one star every time. Don't worry about not finding his reviews, because I'm sure everyday for the rest of his life he review about how "Kurt Nobrain"(As he likes to call him. A name that when heared of Kurt Cobain even thought was funny) has corrupted america's youth, and how it inspired Nu-Metal. Both is true, but you don't need to state it 15 times, once is enough. And the Darkness aren't going to save rock. Sure, they have solo's, but not many other mainstream bands do, and I don't see a rock revolution coming anytime soon. If you still haven't read one of AFI K James's reviews scroll down a little, and you find one, and another, and another, and another, and another, proving this guy has absolutely no life, and feels proud about bashing a guy that's been dead 10 years. But hey, whatever helps him sleep at night. I believe that he has single handedly brought this albums average review down from 4 and a half stars to just 4 stars(Which it still doesn't deserve, but that not the point) But hey, whatever helps him sleep at night. Oh! Kurt Nobrain, how original.

5.0 out of 5 stars You People Know Nothing, June 23 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I bet more than half of the people that wrote reviews for this album have never even heard of or listened to bands like The Jesus Lizard, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Black Flag, Laughing Hyenas, Scratch Acid, Butthole Surfers, Melvins, Meat Puppets, Fugazi, Dinosaur Jr, Husker Du, The Replacements, and the countless others who were either peers of Nirvana or really influenced them. You all talk about how Nevermind is so mainstream and easy to listen to, and how Kurt was just a whiny, angsty kid who tried to make money just by trying to relate to teens. First off, Nirvana NEVER sold out. They never changed their musical ideals or anything to gain more money. Yes, their sound did change from Bleach to Nevermind, but that was the direction they had been planning on going. They wanted to mix a heavy, noisy underground sound, with an easy pop sound, just like what Sonic Youth was sort of doing. Thats also what the Pixies sounded like and what Husker Du and The Replacements both did. Even right after they recorded Smells Like Teen Spirit, Kurt and Chris both looked at each other and said, "Pixies".
Nirvana signed to a major for two main reasons that I know of. One was so that their music would be more available. There where so many kids who were aware of the underground scene but couldnt get their hands on any of the music. But because Nirvana signed to a major, and released Nevermind, Punk "breaks through", and becomes more accessible. That's what makes this band and this album so important. Without it, I would never have gotten into music and heard of all the great bands that I listen to, including the ones I've mentioned above. Oh yeah, the other reason they signed to a major was because they were dirt poor, and couldnt get jobs because of touring and stuff. So they signed to a major so that they could at least get a place to live, and so that they would be able to buy food, and equipment(to replace what they would smash at pretty much every show, since before, they always had to repair it, and could never afford new equipment).
So no, this is not a new Sex Pistols or anything like that, and Kurt was not John Lennon. These guys didnt care about all the hype and the scene that was going on. They didn't want to be spoksmen for a generation. They even hated most of their fans. All they were trying to do was make a good record, and they did.

4.0 out of 5 stars review for the music, not the name, June 21 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
Alright, I suppose you can't be a legitmate rock album reviewer unless you review this album, Nevermind.
Everyone knows where this band stands in history, so I'll just skip that mumbo jumbo. Nevermind is a punk album w/ an introduction to grunge. Nirvana didn't create this sound, it was just the first album that was successfully commercial, thus they are legends according to the media. Oh well, Time to rate the songs, no questions asked.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" is obviously about the teen angst syndrome that haunted the society of the early nineties. "Here we are now, entertain us..." is forrunning motto of this generation. It's a good song w/ high emotion. Overplayed, yes, but still good.
Another well known song in the second spot, "In Bloom" which not as depressing as the former, is still a classic. Still grungy, but this is Nirvana. One of the better on the album.
My favorite song, "Come As You Are" is a dark melodic ballad where some of the lyrics are hard to pick up. Ironic in the fact that Kurt shot himself w/ the "I swear, I don't have a gun" part is repeated, but it's a great song to listen to when you need a good song to listen to.
"Breed" is a more punk song than a grunge song. Nothing to great about it in my opinion, but no reason to skip it.
The final single displayed is "Lithium." Combination of subtle guitar riffs w/ stoic vocals and alt. rock head banging w/ a raging Cobain. Excellent.
Some people might say that the rest of the album sucks b/c there are no other singles in it. The people that own it, know otherwise.
"Polly" a 3 minute ditty about a parrott? Hardly. "Polly" is a poetic ride of Kurt's songwriting skill. The music isn't much though.
The song w/ the most punk is "Territorial Pissings." Here, the lyrics aren't really much as the song is pretty much one line over and over. Just a short punk song is all. Fun to play.
The best non-single is "Drain You." I actually like this song better than "Smells.." Something about it that puts you in the mood to do something constructive. I think I did my laundry to this song, oddly enough.
A short Nirvana type song is "Lounge Act." Many people like this song for it's uptempo style play. I, for one, wish it were longer.
More of that punk/grunge feel is "Stay Away." Lyrics are weak though. Sounds almost like "Territorial Pissings" in some parts.
I love "On a Plain" for it's simpistic sound. The pace is constant throughout the whole song w/ the same drum beat most of the way. The lyrics are great and Cobain sarcastically sings the words in his usual depressed manner.
The only song that doesn't have any punk to it is "Something in the Way." Could be fitting for the last song perhaps as they stray further away from punk and rely heavily on the more grunge dark sound that "In Utero" perfects.
Revolutionary? Not to me, just another album in my collection. Could be to some fans who are Nirvana freaks, but the band is gone and we all must move on to other things. As for the king of grunge, my vote goes to Soul Asylum, who transitioned from punk to grunge in the 80's.

5.0 out of 5 stars How could u write bad reviews on this cd?, June 21 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
This is probably the best cd made in the 90's and possibly ever.
Kurt Cobain used a lot of meaning to his songs and he should be credited for that, along with his great guitaring. Kurt may have used less guitar on some songs, but on other songs, like In Bloom, he uses a lot of hard sequences (you try to do that song on the guitar and email me!).
Smells Like Teen Spirit: Best song of the cd, opened many floodgates for bands, even some of today's bands.
In Bloom: My favorite, pretty tough to do on the drums and guitar. Not too many lyrics, but a really good song.
Come As You Are: Great song, starts out with a watery sounding bass, the theme for Nevermind.
Breed: Pretty good, though it's not my favorite.
Lithium: Good song, especially the drumming.
Polly: Slow, but still a pretty good song.
Territorial Pissings: Fast-paced, screaming.
Drain You: One of my favorites, love the :59 drum solo.
Lounge Act: Great bass, awesome song.
Stay Away: Decent song, could be better.
On A Plain: More fast-paced than Unplugged, but better, good song.
Something In The Way: Somewhat-depressing song, but great nonetheless.
I didn't get a cd with "Endless, Nameless" in it, but I heard it was okay.
I hope this helped and showed how spectacular this cd really was and still is.

5.0 out of 5 stars ....., June 15 2004
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I found it funny that someone actually tried to sterotype all Nirvana fans by saying that they (and i quote): " enjoy listening to Avril Lavinge and Puddle of Mudd. And if they even know of amazing bands like The Smashing Pumpkins and Blind Melon, they consider them "oldies". They enjoy giving anyone different from them the finger."
this is absolute bull. but rather than get angry or feel the need to somehow prove myself to this peice of dirt, i'll just laugh at their stupidity and feel bad for them. (for the record, the Smashing pumpkins are amoung my favorite bands; i do not like avril or POM in particular, and AND i support diversity...) that's the thing with sterotyping: it just doesn't work!
so...for the review.
i don't care what people say about this album, i love it. those who hate it are either A) pissed off hairmetal fans or B) too arrogent and obsessed with being 'hardcore' and the idea that this album is 'overproduced'. (what am i sterotyping people? oh the hypocrisy of it all).
others still claim that this album is too repetitive, boring...etc. well to those people i say: there is beauty in simplicity and the best way to see that in this album is with Polly. that alone is the most remarkable song on this album (besides the hidden track where krist's bass freaking rules). all that matters in the end, are not the riffs that you can mindlessly bang your head to, but the passion and the brilliance of the lyrics. if you buy this album, but it for those reasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just.... AMAZING!!, June 12 2004
P. Woods (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
This is one of the best albums I have, it just got beaten by a few others. I only have four Nirvana albums, but I know this is the best one. Whilst "Bleach" had the grungier tracks and "In utero" had the rawer tracks, this has the catchier, more enjoyable tracks. My favourites are:
Smells like teen spirit: Everyone should know this. Words cannot describe how good it is. 5/5
Breed: Only just started to like this one a lot more. Very fast-paced and I love it. 5/5
Lithium: One of the best. Good lyrics, nice soothing verses. 5/5
Territorial pissings: A lot of people hate this. I know it is a bit stupid, but it's fun and catchy. 5/5
Drain you: My favourite. Shame it couldn't have been released, it would have been a classic. Amazing lyrics. 5+/5
My tracks that I think are good, but could improve a little are:
In bloom: I know many people will wonder why I chose this one, but there's something about it I don't like as much. The chorus is ok. 4/5
Come as you are: I don't listen to this one a lot. I always get it mixed up with "Lithium". 3/5
Polly: I've heard this was based on a true story of some sort. Relaxing acoustic playing. 4/5
Lounge act: My favourite out of the "OK" tracks, it's just missing something. 4.5/5
Stay away: I thought this track got a bit tiring. But it's fast-paced and OK. 4/5
Now, for my least favourite tracks:
On a plain: It's just too boring and I don't like the chorus. 2/5
Something in the way: I now many people like this one, but there's not many lyrics and it's very boring. Even the secret track after it isn't very good. 2/5
So, there isn't any bad tracks on it, just some which need to improve that's all, it's basically only two tracks on this album I don't like. But, this is a magnificent album of course.

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted a bunch of rocks like Teen Spirit!, June 12 2004
Parodized (Dixie Cup Land) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nevermind (Audio CD)
I don't care if Kurt hated the song, he should've put a bunch of songs on the album that were just as good as Teen Spirit. After all, Kurt was our trained monkey with the Geffen go-ahead to rock his brains out every night, so why not? The key word with Nirvana is overrated. They were never as good as anyone said. None of the praise Nirvana garnered was ever deserved, and if you listen to Muddy Banks or even Roma, it's glaringly obvious (aside from the good renditions of Polly and Dumb on Roma). Nirvana made some average studio albums with a few hits on each that were really good. The kicker is that their non-singles were nothing but filler. I'm not even counting Bleach because it's so bad nobody should ever ponder buying for any reason. If there ever was a singles band, then Nirvana is it. Smells Like Teen Spirit has no "social conscience" or any type of meaning to the lyrics, but it was a great song. Too had the rest of Nevermind wasn't as awesome as Teen Spirit, THEN the praises could have been true, but they aren't. It's all just ass-kissing from the critics because they don't know real art when they see/hear it. Nirvana wasn't art.

Nevermind (Super Deluxe Edition 4CD + DVD)
Nevermind (Super Deluxe Edition 4CD + DVD) by Nirvana (Audio CD - 2011)