march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

Format: DVD|Change

on November 24, 2013
I now understand where my infatuation with MUSIC comes from ... it's all from Jem and her gorgeous back-up all-female band, the Holograms. Let me begin first by saying, I have been longing for this series for a VERY long time and at long last, it has been released! For those of you who hear a slight "echo" on only some of the opening credits of some of the episodes or a slight variation in colour...please note that this series is from the 1980s and animation quality back then is nowhere near the level it is today. Please keep in mind that this is restored film from the '80s transferred to DVD. Yes, there is a lot of "high-quality" Jem episodes online on YouTube in HD but you will not find this sold on DVD anywhere. Thank you to the tireless efforts of Jem fans who have posted episodes online in HD quality that is absolutely stunning but if you are a true fan of the series, appreciate the quality of a hit '80s animated series as it was intended to be viewed! This DVD collection has all the episodes in pristine quality and you can tell the animation is brilliant in some episodes (no doubt, from the Japanese animation studios). All of the episodes are complete and present in this collection! The sound quality is very good and there is a "video Jukebox" at the end of each disc, so if you LOVE the tunes, you can listen to all the songs, one after the other, in succession!

Buy this series if you grew up watching it and love the glory that is Jem! This cartoon is my SOUL source of inspiration and I am glad that Shout! finally released it. I sing along to all the songs and dance to the upbeat tunes...I love Jem, she is TRULY OUTRAGEOUS!!!
on September 23, 2012
I purchased the Rhino DVD release several years ago and have been waiting for the last part of the 3rd season to be released but they never did. So this box set is great b/c it has the complete 3 seasons with bonus materials all for a very reasonable price. Where I paid the same price for just season 1 and 2. I recommend this if you are a big Jem fan.
on April 18, 2016
The show featured a pop band made up of young women (who were themselves highly made-up) and music videos would often start playing at the peak of action or melodrama in their adventures--complete with song and artist info in the lower corner of the screen. Slightly more interesting that Jem and the Holograms were their musical rivals, the Misfits, who added some spice to the sugar of the show. Reckless at best, murderous at their worst, these gals attempted to maim or murder the Holograms at least once per episode but, frustratingly, never got thrown in jail for their crimes. Just like in real life, the rich and corrupt could get away with it.

Both Jem and the green-haired Pizzazz (green because she was jealous?) are presented as being naturally good at everything but because they make such a mess of their lives too, they avoid being labeled true "Mary Sues." In one episode the Holograms actually rebuild an Indy race car, which Jem proceeds to drive in the Indy 500! True to form, Pizzazz hijacks another car and the two women easily demonstrate (in fashionably high heels yet!) that they are superior to all the professional drivers by coming in first and second. (Naturally, Jem wins). Even more "totally outrageous," in the PSA tag that comes at the end of the same episode (mimicking Filmation's morality tags), one of the Starlight girls is shown having trouble playing her guitar, frustrated because she wants to be a big star like Jem. Jem sees her struggling, and comes up to give her some friendly advice: "It's okay not to be good at everything right away. Some things take practice." Wisdom straight from the mouth of an impromptu mechanic and improvisational Indy 500 winner!

If it sounds like I'm bad mouthing the show, I'm not. It's actually pretty darn entertaining and some of the songs are incredibly catchy. It's only that the 1980s represented a sharp drop in whatever social awareness was gained by people in the '70s. MTV and the Sony Walkman successfully distracted the next wave of youths lest they also turn out to be a wrenches in the cogs of the Powers-That-Be machine. With Madonna endorsing being a "Material Girl" and Cyndi Lauper's anthem for girls to just have fun, is it any wonder that altruistic slogans like "Make love, not war" were replaced by acquisitive ones like this show's "Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame" among the youth? Not that Jem didn't have some heart under all those designer clothes she wore. After all, she did head up a home for orphans, frequently gave charity performances, and proved herself hardworking and diligent at running her own company (something the recent "Jem" movie didn't want to show--so much for progress). I could think of worse role models for young people. And, of course, the distractions are worse today--with most kids plugged into their smartphones, Facebook, and Twitter.
on February 20, 2015
It's Truly Outrageous!!! I LOVE Jem And The Holograms!!! It's my favorite cartoon!!! I am a bit of a nostalgic and when I saw the DVD Box Set on Amazon, at that price, I jumped on it and ordered it right away! When I got it, I had a Jem Of The Holograms marathon and realized there were some episodes I hadn't even seen! I recommend this box set to all the Jem fans out there!!! You won't regret it! Yes, the imagine is a bit "pixelized" on an HD big screen TV since it's an 80's cartoon after all! However, on your laptop you won't have a problem. It's everything I remembered, I love it, I recommend it because I know your inner child will thank you and you won't regret it!
on September 14, 2014
I originally purchased the Rhino versions of JEM, horrible, horrible mistake! I'm overjoyed that a complete series version has now been released like it should have been. Reliving my childhood has not been so much fun in a long time! I've even got my husband hooked. He thinks the Misfits are criminals and need to be locked up--lol!

To those who would like to know more about the technical specs, it looks exactly the way it did when we were kids--SD format with all the intro and extro bumpers in place. The extras are basically the music videos taken from the show. Lots of fun! Highly recommended!
on October 26, 2013
I remember watching this on cable with my sister on Saturday mornings. Great cartoon from the 80's, for boys as much as for girls. Packaging it great, too!
on September 30, 2013
I love Jem
I'm so happy to have all three seasons finally!
Now I can watch my childhood favourite show time and time again.
on January 4, 2015
Came intact. It was a gift for the gf so I don't know if the disc work but she'll let me know if they don't. So I'll give it a 4 right now and adjust after viewing if an adjustment is necessary! Gf is happy with the gift though so that's worth at least a 4 out of 5! And the package arrived two weeks ahead of the original delivery date, just in time for Christmas!
on January 19, 2012
I love this boxset it has all the episodes and i love how fast
it was shipped to my door,the box and the cases of the set are very beautiful if you are a Jem fan do not miss your chance to get this boxset,i have no complaints this was my first online purchase from Amazon and i thank them for their excellent sevice can wait to start watching Jem.
on April 22, 2013
I bought this for my mom who used to watch it, and although it is way cheesier then she remembers it is still a fun little show. The songs are ridiculously catchy and any fan of the 80's would be missing out if they didn't at least try a couple of episodes. Fans of the show you will not be disappoint it has everything you remembered about it.