5.0 out of 5 stars Laurel and Hardy fans MUST buy this compilaton!
Published on Nov. 25 2011 by Mark

2.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the warning on the bad packaging
Thank you 'Robert Badgley' for the warning on the sub-standard packaging. I am so fed up with dvd's arriving scratched and scuffed from packaging such as you have described. It's bad enough that dvd's get damaged and scratched during shipping without the added problem of impossible packaging.

Having to use a cloth or a latex glove every time that one wants to...
Published on Nov. 13 2011 by Anthony D

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurel and Hardy fans MUST buy this compilaton!, Nov. 25 2011
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
This ten-DVD set has the complete sound output from the boys' tenure at the Hal Roach studios...the picture quality varies, but the restorations for the most part are excellent. Stan and Babe have never looked or sounded better. I would have paid full price just for "Our Relations", which is finally at long last on home video in North America. Throw in the foreign language (and in some cases longer) versions of their films, plus guest appearances and so on and you have a collection that will make L&H fans ecstatic. Packaged like a book (with extensive liner notes), it actually takes up less space than the L&H VHS tapes I bought years ago. As they used to say --- accept no substitutes. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best purchases I have ever made, April 23 2014
Keith Little - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
You get 10 discs in this set - the sound shorts and feature from the Hal Roach Library. There is a lot to enjoy and some nice extras - there are some commentary tracks on several films that, for me as a more casual fan of Laurel & Hardy, were very informative. I would recommend this if you have even the slightest interest in classic comedy. There's a reason these two have retained an avid following - they were, quite possibly, the greatest comedy team in cinematic history.

5.0 out of 5 stars PARDON US, Feb. 11 2014
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
Have you ever been a Laurel & Hardy Fan and spent loads of time and money importing VHS tapes and looking through video stores that clam to be special just looking for those Hal Roach shorts you grew up on as a kid? Where you disappointed more often than not because they were unknown films? Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is like Santa, the Easter Bunny ad the tooth fairy riding shot gun delivered to you the HAL ROACH STUDIOS Holy Grail as an overdo apology for all those VHS disasters! This collection deals only with the "TALKIES" but it is all neatly organized and YES there all there movies shorts worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars Laurel and Hardy, never better!, June 8 2013
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
If you love Laurel and Hardy, you will want this collection. If you are not familiar with them, check them out on YouTube. As laughter is contagious, they are best enjoyed with a group of people. This cd collection is ideal for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Movies, Feb. 4 2012
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
This Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is excellent in every way. I can gurrantee you a belly laugh every minute. I have no hesitation in recommending purchase of this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Laurel & Hardy Set!! Enough Carping About The Packaging, Already!!!, Dec 13 2011
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
For whatever reason, my first attempt to publish a review on this site failed (I entered it almost 2 weeks ago!). I'm hoping it was just a glitch as I did not use any profanity, or anything beyond constructive criticism in my review! Below is the exact wording of my subsequent review (minus the last line of it, which isn't relevant here) that was published on amazon.com seconds after I entered it. I hope for it to be helpful:

Aside from the no-brainer five star rating, I don't really have much to add to what has already been stated regarding the set's contents. My only issue is that I have seldom (if ever) heard so much carping about packaging as I have for this set! Yes, there were two discs in mine that required a bit of wiping. Apart from that, they play just fine, thank you! I actually rather like the packaging, as it doesn't take up a lot of space, and is environmentally friendly compared to other, ridiculously bulky packaging designs. As far as I am concerned, the real bane as far as DVDs and/or packaging go are the dreaded double-sided discs. Whoever thought that this relic from the golden age of vinyl belonged in the digital age ought to have their head examined! Dual layer makes that totally unnecessary! As far as conventional packaging is concerned, I have occasionally had DVDs arrive in the mail, only to find the disc shaking inside the case because the centerpiece holding the disc in place busted. At least with the packaging for the Laurel & Hardy set, that is definitely not a concern!

I regret taking up so much space discussing the packaging rather than the contents. It's just that there have been far more negative comments about it than it actually deserves, in my opinion!

I am very thankful that amazon.com has restocked Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection (though I ordered mine through amazon.ca). It had allegedly been pulled due to "too many returns." It seemed to me that based on comments by the loudest critics of the packaging that some returned their sets without even playing any of the discs! For Region 1 based Laurel & Hardy fans who have been waiting so long for a marvelous set like this, that don't want it to disappear, I implore you to at least try playing the discs first (at the very least, fast forward through all the titles!) before deciding whether a return shipment is warranted!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooray for the BOYS, Oct. 27 2011
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
Yes indeed, the BOYS are here in grand form. A big 5 stars for the content. Absolutely THE BEST comedy team EVER. I love these guys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, Aug. 17 2014
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
it is very nice, but please, do not use my name publicly.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the warning on the bad packaging, Nov. 13 2011
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)

Having to use a cloth or a latex glove every time that one wants to take out a disc to prevent scratching and scuffing to the disc owing to the packaging which obviously makes it impossible to grab the disc from the edge from your description.

It's especially ironic if they done this to cut down on costs which would not surprise me as is usually the case with 'some' studios. However, it may backfire on them with people returning sets or simply not buying them owing to the bad packaging that you describe. Yes, even a 'Laurel & Hardy' disc set.

A damaged disc is no good no matter who or what is on it. I think that some studios think that we should be so happy that they released some titles that we should just purchase them and ignore bad packaging. They are obviously making money from these releases otherwise they would not do it , the very least they could do would be to design the packaging that it protects the discs as musch as possible. Perhaps studios should start treating their paying customers with a little more respect and realise that they shan't take just any old packaging that they throw at us simply because it may be a long awaited release.

Thank's again Mr. Robert Badgley you have probably saved me the hassle of having to return a defective and/or scratched item. Packaging is indeed very important.

1.0 out of 5 stars RHI blows it with sub-par packaging!, Oct. 25 2011
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import] (DVD)
Let's start by saying that this reviewer is one of THE biggest fans of the Boys.Without a doubt they are arguably THE best comedy film team of all time and I,like SO many other fans of the Boys here in North America,have waited patiently(ok,maybe not so patiently)for a respectable release of their Roach material for years and years onto DVD.Europe,of course,beat us to the punch by quite a number of years with their spectacular releases,doing the Boys VERY proudly by them.What we have had on this side of the Atlantic are dribs and drabs and none are worth even mentioning.All by companies whose main goal was just to make a buck and all the while none really understanding or appreciating the significance of the material in their possession.MGM and Fox have thankfully released all they have had and even the Boys silents have been released but ironically as their talkies finally come out,they are now out of print.
So RHI Entertainment grabbed up the rights to the Boys Roach films and released them.The general consensus from alot of quarters,when news first broke,was here was finally someone who really cared.Did they?...let's see.
There are ten discs here,including all of their Roach material,except of course that already released by MGM,which includes all their shorts and features and some other great items.It is a beautiful set....at least in theory.I will never know because I never got past the initial stage of checking them.
I liken to what RHI has done here to a football player intercepting the ball and running down the field at full speed only to be tackled at the one yard line.As Maxwell Smart might have said "Missed it,by THAT much".I might also paraphrase another TV icon in the form of Scotty from Star Trek who said"The more complicated it gets,the easier it is to stuff up the plumbing".
RHI has made this 10 disc set into like a large,thick book.Each page contains little blurbs about each film and between each page is a disc,inserted into a "pouch".A tiny,tiny portion of the disc edge is visible through a little half moon shaped cut-out in the cardboard sleeve/page.If you try and grab it with your finger tips you will definitely touch the playing surface and we all know what happens then.Can you imagine trying to do this over and over again as you take them out to watch them repeatedly?(and what fan won't?).Somewhere down the line,somehow,that disc will gets scuffed and/or scratched and becomes unplayable.
In taking one of these discs out I used a scratch free cloth to grab the tiny edge(should one have to use such special measures?).However upon examination of the discs I found almost all discs had some form of scratching and scuffing on them;either light or heavy.With packaging like this it is inevitable this would happen.I recall shaking my head over this very thing,when I first saw the set up for pre-sale back in August and my worst fears have come to life.
There have been ALOT of fancy packaged DVD sets come up for sale(some I have reviewed)and most all have been disastrous.The concepts are neat and eye catching but in reality,they simply,well, suck...big time.And unfortunately no one at RHI had the foresight,savvy or plain common sense to see that packaging such as this would never work properly.Just a plain double sided slim case with an insert for the film blurbs would have sufficed just nicely thank you very much;just keep it simple.Sure,nothing is ever foolproof when it comes to DVD packaging,but if it was cost they were worried about I would gladly have paid the few extra bucks to get a set that wasn't scuffed or scratched from the get go,and one that would stand up over time.
Well,here's another nice mess they have gotten us into folks.Unfortunately this time,we're talking about a treasure trove of the great Laurel and Hardy and a company that some thought finally gave a rats about the Boys.But instead they have completely blown it by,of all things,the ridiculous packaging.
If RHI had any pride in themselves as a company or really cared about this collection of classic films,they would take this set out of circulation pronto,and re-release them into a more suitable and simple set.One that isn't screwed up from the start and/or,if one is fortunate enough to get one unscathed from the get go,one that will stand up over time;which this one certainly will NOT.But don't go holding your collective breaths my friends.I haven't seen it happen yet and my spider-sense tells me it's not going to happen here.
However,I certainly wish my fellow Laurel and Hardy fans the best of luck with their sets.Check your discs carefully guys and gals,and if they are not pristine,send them back.RHI has to be sent a BIG message.

Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection [Import]