Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Cyber Monday Deals Week in Home & Kitchen Kindle Music Deals Store SGG Tools

Format: DVDChange

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
on November 25, 2011
This ten-DVD set has the complete sound output from the boys' tenure at the Hal Roach studios...the picture quality varies, but the restorations for the most part are excellent. Stan and Babe have never looked or sounded better. I would have paid full price just for "Our Relations", which is finally at long last on home video in North America. Throw in the foreign language (and in some cases longer) versions of their films, plus guest appearances and so on and you have a collection that will make L&H fans ecstatic. Packaged like a book (with extensive liner notes), it actually takes up less space than the L&H VHS tapes I bought years ago. As they used to say --- accept no substitutes. THIS IS THE REAL DEAL!!!
on December 25, 2014
Long over due! I have spent years trying to locate such a collection and now it has arrived! This is Stan and Ollie at their best working for the Hal Roach Studios. The picture and sound quality is perfect.

These two are the masters of comedy with a chemistry that will never be repeated.

A must have ...
on February 11, 2014
Have you ever been a Laurel & Hardy Fan and spent loads of time and money importing VHS tapes and looking through video stores that clam to be special just looking for those Hal Roach shorts you grew up on as a kid? Where you disappointed more often than not because they were unknown films? Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is like Santa, the Easter Bunny ad the tooth fairy riding shot gun delivered to you the HAL ROACH STUDIOS Holy Grail as an overdo apology for all those VHS disasters! This collection deals only with the "TALKIES" but it is all neatly organized and YES there all there movies shorts worth every penny
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 23, 2014
You get 10 discs in this set - the sound shorts and feature from the Hal Roach Library. There is a lot to enjoy and some nice extras - there are some commentary tracks on several films that, for me as a more casual fan of Laurel & Hardy, were very informative. I would recommend this if you have even the slightest interest in classic comedy. There's a reason these two have retained an avid following - they were, quite possibly, the greatest comedy team in cinematic history.
on June 8, 2013
If you love Laurel and Hardy, you will want this collection. If you are not familiar with them, check them out on YouTube. As laughter is contagious, they are best enjoyed with a group of people. This cd collection is ideal for this.
on February 4, 2012
This Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection is excellent in every way. I can gurrantee you a belly laugh every minute. I have no hesitation in recommending purchase of this product.
on August 17, 2014
it is very nice, but please, do not use my name publicly.
on May 6, 2015
fantastic collection ...very good quality!!!!
on December 13, 2011
For whatever reason, my first attempt to publish a review on this site failed (I entered it almost 2 weeks ago!). I'm hoping it was just a glitch as I did not use any profanity, or anything beyond constructive criticism in my review! Below is the exact wording of my subsequent review (minus the last line of it, which isn't relevant here) that was published on seconds after I entered it. I hope for it to be helpful:

Aside from the no-brainer five star rating, I don't really have much to add to what has already been stated regarding the set's contents. My only issue is that I have seldom (if ever) heard so much carping about packaging as I have for this set! Yes, there were two discs in mine that required a bit of wiping. Apart from that, they play just fine, thank you! I actually rather like the packaging, as it doesn't take up a lot of space, and is environmentally friendly compared to other, ridiculously bulky packaging designs. As far as I am concerned, the real bane as far as DVDs and/or packaging go are the dreaded double-sided discs. Whoever thought that this relic from the golden age of vinyl belonged in the digital age ought to have their head examined! Dual layer makes that totally unnecessary! As far as conventional packaging is concerned, I have occasionally had DVDs arrive in the mail, only to find the disc shaking inside the case because the centerpiece holding the disc in place busted. At least with the packaging for the Laurel & Hardy set, that is definitely not a concern!

I regret taking up so much space discussing the packaging rather than the contents. It's just that there have been far more negative comments about it than it actually deserves, in my opinion!

I am very thankful that has restocked Laurel & Hardy: The Essential Collection (though I ordered mine through It had allegedly been pulled due to "too many returns." It seemed to me that based on comments by the loudest critics of the packaging that some returned their sets without even playing any of the discs! For Region 1 based Laurel & Hardy fans who have been waiting so long for a marvelous set like this, that don't want it to disappear, I implore you to at least try playing the discs first (at the very least, fast forward through all the titles!) before deciding whether a return shipment is warranted!
on October 31, 2014
on en a pour notre argent!