Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage pinata Cook Kindle Music Deals Store Cycling Tools minions

on December 7, 2011
I love projectors, the size of the picture is like going to a small movie theatre in my basement, its great. So, in the last 2 years i've been waiting to upgrade to a 1080p projector. I've had a sharp projector 8 years ago when they were $5000> i bought an optoma 720p when they came out with hdmi, and i had a benq 720P. i've played games, watched movies,tv,computers, and laptops and such. I can say that paying $1500 for anything electronic, makes me really cautious> But after doing my research for like 1 month, knowing what i wanted and what i did'nt like> i was ready to take the plunge. I was initially thinking buying a hd-20 or 1080p epson> im glad i waiting for the new generation 3d projectors to come out at the begining of november 2011. I decided to buy the hd-33 because it did not have 3d problems like the epson 3d projector did. After all, its the 3d that im going to be showing off to the friends, not the 2d. I got the projector in about a week, boy i wish i would of paid the extra $35 to amazon and got the fast shipping. The wait killed me. However, when i got it, it was packed in a ton of bubble wrap and very well protected. I put it in my ceiling mount and turned it on. It was great in 2d. However, i had to buy a couple of dlp glasses to get 3d. The 3d is simply awesome. I put in lion king 3d, and the bird flew out of the wall about 6 feet. I had the little neighbour girl chasing it around the basement. I love it, it has a rf emitter for their own special rf glasses but i decided to go dlp> one day i would like to see if the rf glasses are better, maybe, one day i'll try. For the price, you are not going to beat the optoma, sure the epson comes with glasses, but its $100 dollars more, and if the 3d does'nt work as good, why would you want the epson. Really, the hd-33 is the best sub $3000 3d projector out there. Sure, a 50 inch lcd 3d tv looks better for contrast and colors however, this optoma thing goes up to 300" and right now im projecting about 180". be careful with the placement, im at 21' from the screen and my picture is 180. You would need to be about 18 feet to get the perfect 150" placement.
on October 26, 2012
Even in a living room (aka. not the ideal lighting setting), you will be pleasantly surprised what this projector can do. The picture quality and 3d is amazing. The 3d is comparable to Nvidia's 3d Vision 2 WITH lightboost. Though it must be noted, you can't actually use Nvidia's 3d vision on this projector. It is Nvidia 3dtvplay compatible, which is NOT the same thing. If someone figured out how to utilize 3d vision or even the glasses to work with this projector, let me know.

But back to the optoma hd33, the 3d is even one step better than 3d vision for its RF. The RF emitter does not have to be in front of you to work. So it has that over 3d vision. [If you are interested in Nvidia 3d vision, take a look at the pc3d ready Optoma 750. It is half the price of this and I hear it is quite the decent gaming projector.]

You can get great picture quality even with a relatively cheap screen (like the epson portable 80 in. 4:3 16:9 ratio on amazon.ca). You could probably even just project onto your wall and do quite well for yourself. Although sooner or later you would want to have a real home theatre room setup for this projector. It deserves it.

One thing I will say is there is no lens shift. Keep that in mind, you should make sure you have plenty of room to adjust in order to get a good projection. It is not a short throw projector.

It is not loud, especially when something is playing.

Overall, for around $1500 you get native 1080p, great 3d, amazing picture quality. If this is your first projector, like it was for me, you will be amazed. I didn't know projectors could produce quality picture that looks like you bought a tv screen. It goes up to 300 inches (though you will need quite some space to achieve that), so you can decide when it becomes cheaper to get a projector than a tv.
on February 9, 2012
at this price point, I cannot think of any other projectors that offer these features. Some of the other creature comforts you get are not available on this model though. Digital zoom and focus, are not features, so it will have to be done manually. But you get great picture with this product. I have a 133 inch screen, and the picture looks very crisp, and with a proper blu-ray disc - as opposed to a regular DVD being upscaled - the colours look amazing.

For gamers, there is very little in the way of lag. I have played a verity of games - from Assassin's Creed, to Blur - and I do not detect any lag worthy of note. I am by no means a competitive gamer, so others playing online shooters may notice something, but it did not impact my enjoyment of any of the games that I play.

great product and highly recommend it.