5.0 out of 5 stars Rain's return is a must read, Jan. 15 2012
This review is from: The Detachment (Paperback)
I picked up Barry Eisler's Rain Fall years ago and was immediately hooked. Since then I've read all of the books in the John Rain and Ben Treven series; and have been eagerly awaiting the return of Rain ever since his come back was revealed in Inside Out: A Novel.

As with previous books, The Detachment is a thrilling page turner that I couldn't put down. Reading it through once was not enough - I immediately read it again! Eisler's compelling storyline, engaging characters and attention to detail draw you into a world of excitement and intrigue. Once immersed, you never want to leave.

It's the characters that I love most about the books. The main characters may be ice cold assassins, but their battles with personal demons make them all too human. The Detachment felt like catching up with old friends (Rain and Dox), while revealing more about the newer characters (Treven and Larison) in an action packed adventure.

As an avid reader (and a librarian), I don't read thriller/suspense novels more than once; and I rarely buy books opting to borrow the library's copy instead. Eisler's books are among the rare exceptions. I want my own copies to enjoy again and again.

Can't wait for the next installment!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Detachment, bu Barrie Eisler, Sept. 8 2013
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
I had not read Eisler's book's before, but came away impressed with his military knowledge and planning. His characters in the book are four men , very different in personality. and they maintain these differences throughout the book. Four men on a mission to precipitate civilian unrest, by killing leading figures in government and blaming it on "terrorists" in order to permit the perpetrators to take over the leadership. Things do not work out as planned and the perpetrators turn out to be the bad guys, but are they all bad?
The four killers have their own personality differences and the plot thickens. A very detailed story, well told and for me enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barry Eisler - The Detachment, Oct. 30 2011
Kenneth Moore (Toronto, ON, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Detachment (Paperback)
I was looking forward to The Detachment because I had read and loved the entire John Rain series. I really wanted to see him back in action, and also wanted to get more about some of the key characters that were involved in the series at different points (e.g., Dox). I was thrilled to see that Ben, Larison, and many of the other characters were woven masterfully into a story line that kept me awake until I finished. My only issue is that I now have to wait for his next book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent as always!, Jan. 25 2013
This review is from: The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers) (Kindle Edition)
Like all of Barry Eisler's books, it's top notch. It incorporated characters from his previous books and as always it was action packed, very well detailed and well written. I've read all of the books and short stories Barry has written and I've enjoyed all of them. I would recommend reading some of his other John Rain books to get a feel for the characters then read this, all though this book can stand alone. I rather look forward to any more books or short stories Barry writes! He's a talented author.

ARRAY(0xaddb0d5c)

The Detachment (John Rain Thrillers)
CDN$ 3.51