4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully different
Published on Sept. 21 2011 by Hexomega

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Opeth
Very disapointing release when listened to as an Opeth release. However, its a pretty great album if you take have no preconceived ideas. If you like Steve Wilson, you'll probably enjoy this album. If you want an Opeth, look else where - Katatonia.
Published 22 months ago by YngwieReid

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully different, Sept. 21 2011
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
Heritage is a mature album written by a band who has inspired me since their inception. I'm one of the rare few fans who had realized their importance and significance during the Orchid/Morningrise era. I can also admit to losing a significant amount of interest with Ghost Reveries and Watershed. The heavy parts on those albums seemed forced and much too formulaic for my tastes.
I was skeptical when purchasing Heritage. I only wanted it to continue my Opeth vinyl collection as I felt the band, with all of the member changes and arrogance attached to the lead song writer's work, had long since expired.
This is an album that doesn't grab you immediately. Perhaps it never will if you're expecting death metal vocals or heavy guitar melodies.
It's a mature album written as an homage to all progressive albums of the past.
There are elements of Yes, Deep Purple, King Crimson, and Jethro Tull that reign apparent throughout this record. The cleaner guitar parts sound reminiscent of Knopler's best work and the overall composition is very Brahms.
I know that it's a long stretch to compare a modern day rock quintet to the likes of Brahms but if you give the entire piece a listen as a whole I'm sure it will be, at the least, a respectable comparison.
The continuation of the theme that god is surely dead, which is a very Nietzche approach to a progressive album, is remarkable and to me the only time in this band's career where they have successfully recorded a concept for our listening pleasure. I know there have been other albums that have followed the "concept album" motif. They just weren't as seamless as this.
The subtle ambiences between songs are beautiful and as a complete work of art astounding.
I feel as though a lot of new Opeth fans who became listeners due to the growling vocals and heavy music will be turned off. However, if you are old listener, such as myself, of death metal, black metal, progressive rock or classical music you will definitely love this album.
It may take a few listens to truly grasp what they are doing but once you break that wall there is no denying that this is a terrific listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars unwrapped, Jan. 19 2014
This review is from: Heritage (Audio CD)
This product made it to me within the Time frame I was given, which is rare for me. I was not broken or scratched, but it was not wrapped in cellophane. So I, not 100% sure it was new.
Generally speaking I am satisfied.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Opeth, Nov. 30 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Beatiful, April 15 2012
This review is from: Heritage [Vinyl] (LP Record)
Aunque tengo esta obra en CD con este gran grupo dictando pautas de buen rock, esta vez progresivo, nunca esta de mas un lindo vinilo con una estupenda caratula de buen arte, viva el vinilo y grande Opeth

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow, but Great., March 18 2012
This review is from: Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD (Audio CD)
Opeth has always had a wide range of musical approaches, and their newest album is no exception. Although this album doesn't scream "Death Metal", it is sure to please any true fan of Opeth.

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Mature Prog Sound, Sept. 28 2011
Adam Hewson "ahewson" (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD (Audio CD)
I've been a huge Opeth fan for many years, and Ghost Reveries tops my list. Through Mikael and Steven Wilson, I've gone on this fascinating musical journey back to the 70s to bands I never knew existed - Scott Walker, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Blackwater Park, Vangelis, etc. etc. - and this album feels like an honest, authentic tribute to those influences. Mikael has a fantastic singing voice, and I love his mellow music even though I'm a metal fan. This is like Atonement from Ghost Reveries, my favourite song. It's so nice not to hear him screaming but instead using textured vocals, acoustic instruments, keyboards, etc. To me it feels like an album that draws from his influences without any concern for what the metal community would demand of it.

In short, this is the Opeth I like, the prog, acoustic, mellow, complex, thought-provoking Opeth - not screaming metal Opeth. So if you're looking for screaming Opeth, this album is not for you, but if you want profound, thoughtful, philosophical Opeth, got get it. It's my #2 Opeth album next to Ghost Reveries.

Plus, it's the coolest album cover ever!

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, Nov. 23 2011
This review is from: Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD (Audio CD)
I know Opeth is a progressive metal band, but I do miss the heavier music and Mike's growls. Overall this is musically a good album, but it's no Deliverence. The Lines in My Hand has to be my favourite track. Great drums and bass guitar.

5.0 out of 5 stars A slight, but well received, departure from the norm, Oct. 16 2011
Raffi (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD (Audio CD)
I didn't really know what to expect when I popped this in, so I was slightly caught off guard with the style direction that Opeth has taken with this album.

The first listen through didn't justify this album's complexities and little details. You really have to turn up the volume to appreciate it. Now that I've gone through the album a few more times, I can say that although this may not seem entirely Opeth at times, their core is still very evident.

Opeth usually takes a "take it or leave it" approach to their music, and I think this album, with all its jazz and blues origins, is just an example of the fact that Opeth simply enjoys creating and experimenting with music. It just to happens that we can listen to their creative efforts come together on an album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Opeth - Heritage - Vinyl - Great album!, Sept. 29 2011
Joel Andrews - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Heritage [Vinyl] (LP Record)
Another great work from Opeth, you continue the musical journey that Mikael Åkerfeldt has started with the band. A journey through ever changing textures and moods, I consider this album as a part of the 'set' that they have put out, another piece of the puzzle if you will. You can hear some influences of Porcupine Tree and other similar prog bands on this latest effort. It's an album that will take many listens to fully digest and appreciated. For those looking for another heavy/screaming album, this is not it, but Opeth already has plenty of albums and songs that cover that territory. There are plenty of other bands out there that churn out the same thing over and over again. Not Opeth, no one can ever accuse them of never trying new things or sticking to just one formula, an I for one applaud them for that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Opeth ever!!!, Oct. 2 2011
Eric Grenier - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD (Audio CD)
Wow, real hard rock progressive album. So far, Best Opeth ever. Produce by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree),This is what real Opeth's fans wanted since there debut. Mega guitars solos, one of best drummer in industrie, complex, intelligents and matures compositions. This CD will be better listening after listening and for eternity... Opeth is now in the category of best progressive bands ever.. They will be in tour with Katatonia... Music is not dead!

Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD
Heritage - Special ed. CD/DVD by Opeth (Audio CD - 2011)