march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools

on October 11, 2015
Bought this movie, sounded good with the four stars and all, starring Brad Pitt as well ! .... but turned it off, even after the half hour, movie was supposed to "pick up", never happened, with very random parts to the movie, in space then dinasoars, under the sea...made totally no sense, would give it no stars if I could, would better make a nature video but I've seen a lot better nature videos that made sense, my husband said movie had Brad"Pitts" in it, a real turkey for us!
on July 17, 2015
I wasn't sure what to expect from this movie. It is a good film, but I was disappointed mostly
on May 11, 2015
Bought it for hubby. He thought it was a good movie. As for me I found it a bit boring. But it's a pretty intense movie and the story line was OK. Came on time and is of good condition. All in all it was a worth the money.
on February 20, 2015
interesting film
on December 5, 2014
Excellent cinematography, especially watched on a 100" screen. But the 7.1 ch surround sound is disappointing
on July 16, 2014
Brad Pitt.
on September 5, 2013
Film's definitely not for everyone. Actually the film should be tedious and boring for most viewers as they will likely not find themselves relevant to the message it's trying to deliver. But if you are a thinker that'd like to get a perspective on life in little unique way, this might entertain you.

I honestly didn't enjoy watching this long film. But made me think more than most other films I watched in my life.
on May 29, 2013
I am a movie collector and I am pleased to add this movie to my collection, I am very selective in what I buy and enjoyed it.
on January 11, 2013
A visually powerful and emotionally unsettling film. Viewers need patience (or a doobie) for the first half hour or so, but this movie is worth the effort. And, like any great work of art, we will all take away something different.

Like Jack, I was too involved in my own adolescent struggles to pay much attention to what my younger brothers were going through. And, like Jack, to this day I regret my failures as an older brother.

A moment that resonated strongly for me was when the father apologizes to Jack for being too harsh. His response is, it's your house, you can do what you want. The youthful Jack isn't yet capable of forgiveness, but he's taking the first steps on a long journey - separateness, tolerance, and eventually acceptance - that Sean Penn continues in the final scenes.

Some wag - I forget who - wrote that Malick doesn't seem to care much for people, but he obviously never met a tree he didn't like. The visuals that stay with me aren't the cosmic pyrotechnics, but Waco's trees - an enormous diffusing canopy, enclosing the timeless, mythical world of childhood.
The story in this movie is one that is all too familiar to baby boomers like myself. On one side of our upbringing there was a parent who was loving, enabling and affirming, only to be countered by a domineering type on the other side who tried to control and micromanage every last living moment to the point of robbing us of our joy. This parental polarity often led to a sense of growing confusion, frustration, and anger on the part of the children who had to negotiate the veritable minefield that often lay between the two parents. The young man in this movie (played by Sean Penn) who grew up in this kind of familial environment, has now reached adulthood and is looking back on those years when he and his brother were continually subjected to physical and verbal abuse from a tyrannical father. The movie moves in and out of the present as it tries to piece together this man's view of how this dysfunctional family ever came together and why it eventually broke apart. His reflections, through all this reliving of the past, force him to recognize how precarious his father's life really was in providing for them, and that he may have really only wanted something better for his children that he had never experienced himself: a sense of being independently successful. Identifying this failing in this dad made him realize how important his mother's selfless love for him and his brother was in overcoming the bad memories and encouraging him to live for the future. I was left with a very strong impression that love or devotion to serving the interests of others is the DNA of life that allows us to move on to the next generation in an evolutionary process where the bad gets chucked in favour of the good. While the visuals might be overdone in places, they do serve to make the point that life is bigger than just one generation of grief.