Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: Audio CDChange

Showing 1-7 of 7 reviews(5 star).Show all reviews
I knew that I am a winner by buying this CD when my wife, 2 children and I saw it coming with 3D glasses that can be used to see 3D postcards of the band members and the front and back photographs on the CD itself. What a great concept this has been. All of us have enjoyed watching 3D pictures many many times already.

As regards the music, I have no qualms in saying that all the 4 guys have gelled in neatly. I was never a Van Halen fan. Never listened to Sammy and Mickey back then. I listened to only few select songs of Red Hot Chilly Peppers. However, Joe Satrani was an all time favorite guitarist and I listened to all his solo albums. I bought Chickenfoot only because of Joe and have not been disappointed. This has given me an opportunity to find out how talented Sammy, Michael, and Chad are who I had missed listening to before.

In this CD, Sammy reminds one of vocals of the 70s and 80s, Satriani, who sounded more subdued in the first offering, is much more expressive, Chad Smith is at his best, and Anthony is simply superb contributing his gruff back-ups several times. The hard rock numbers and ballads are all very impressive.

I wasn't expecting a CD from these guys that soon. Therefore, it has been a pleasant surprise.

My favorite songs, some of which are very unusual in delivery, are as follows:

4. Up Next: A groovey chord combinations by Satriani and great bridge with vocals from Anthoni.

5. Lighten Up

6. Come Closer: This is a ballad and makes your heart feel hurt a little. Satriani makes his guitar weep and whisper, Sammy's vocals with Micheals harmonies in the bridge stand out.

7. Three And A Half Letters: Very unusual song reflecting on current state of economy in the world. Sammy talks the verses but the verses are poetic indeed. He then thrashes out the chorus and reminds one of Slayer and Megadeath.

8. Bigfoot

9. Dubal Blues: Great riffs and solos from Satriani. Michael's backing vocals are an additional treat.

10. Something Gone Wrong: Another slow / ballad song just before another poilitical number

11. No Change: It is a hidden tune and a hidden gem. It is extremely political, controvertial, and may raise few eyebrows, but is surely worth listening and pondering.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
When you have talents like these four guys (Sammy and Mike - ex VH, The Satchman, and Chad from the Chilis) then you better hope for a giant leap forwards on the crucial second album. Chickenfoot deliver, with their trademark sense of humour intact but tempered with a new seriousness.

Satriani fans will be in nirvana, as he really strecthes out a lot more than album #1. Some of his tones and fills here are more akin to things we hear on his solo albums. Imagine that with a kickass band behind it.

Sammy and Mike's vocals blend beautifully once again, the last surviving remnant of the glorious VH harmonies of old. VH are using Michael Anthony's backing tapes while touring. It is incredible to me that Sammy Hagar as a singer has remained this powerful after so many years. Has any lead vocalist ever ages as well as Sammy Hagar? A lot of people forget he is older than DLR but looks and sounds decades younger!

Lastly Chad Smith -- I know that Kenny Aranoff will be incredible on tour, there is no doubt of Kenny's skill. But Chad Smith really kicks some serious butt on this album. Just listening to the snare hits, I ask myself how many broken sticks and drum heads were tallied up in the studio.

Highlights are every single song, but one I keep coming back to is "Different Devil", a joyful romp through the countryside with the top down. There are no bad songs on this album. The closest we get is "Three And A Half Letters" which is mostly delivered in a tiring spoken-word vocal. The lyrics are poignant enough, letters from people seriously down on their luck, with Sammy screaming "I need a job!" during the choruses. Indeed, Sammy is rarely this polical, but his simple message is one we can all agree with.

"Big Foot", the first single, stomps through the forest relentlessly but is actually seems to be about a car. "Got 'Houses Of The Holy' on the box, got it all cranked up cause, yeah! that s*** rocks!" sings Sammy back in celebratory mode.

Fans of album #1 will remember that album's cool gimmick, the heat-sensitive packaging. This time Chickenfoot go 3D. I have the classic rock Fan Pack edition which came with 3D glasses among other goodies.

Bonus tracks: Be aware of the following bonus tracks out there!

Live versions of "Down The Drain" and "Oh Yeah" are included from my Fan Pack. These tracks are taken from the live Chickenfoot DVD (Get Your Buzz On), but this is their first release in audio format.

I don't know where to get it yet, but some versions of the album come with a "hidden" song called "No Change". I have heard it, and "No Change" is an angry political rocker with a simply storming riff. The buzz on fan boards has it listed as the best track on the album! You decide.

5 stars. Hoping there is more to come.
on July 2, 2012
Amazing album. Better than their first one. My favorite is Different Devil and 3 Letter word. Sammy is just amazing.
on May 6, 2015
This was on the Christmas list as well and was a great find on AMAZON...thanks again.
on November 2, 2011
This is a great followup for Chickenfoot. Sammy Hagar still has the vocal chops which are always accented nicely by Michael Anthony's background vocals. Some great guitar hooks with a solid rhythm section. A must purchase for fans of Sammy Hagar and the first Chickenfoot album.
on October 8, 2015
Excellent CD. Would highly recommend.
on September 29, 2011
love the album, on my 4th listening actually. kinda fun listening the album, with 3d glasses and enjoying the cd packaging. Great singing, great tunes, really, buy this album if not done already!