5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty - FUN FUN !!
I kept hearing from my friends who have young children (2 - 5 year olds) that their children loved this movie, so I decided to finally buy it and check it out for my 2.5 year old son. He loves it and so do I. It has all the important components for a fun family/childrens movie:
Published on Feb. 13 2004 by Thoms-Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Not So Special Edition
Well...after all the waiting, it's finally landed. I wish I could say that it's truly scrumptious, but in truth, from the ashes of disaster (the previous DVD release) grow the roses of mediocrity. Like so many DVD "special editions" of late (A Christmas Story, Willy Wonka, etc), this one is a bit short on the "special".
The film itself is presented in two formats...
Published on Nov. 25 2003 by W. Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty - FUN FUN !!, Feb. 13 2004
Thoms-Mom (Somewhere In America) - See all my reviews
1. The Music: It's fun and gets my son up and dancing around the room. Also the words are catchy and easy for children to learn (although Chitty can be tricky for the little ones :-)
2. Story line: It's really fun and easy to follow. Anything with a car, let alone a flying car rates high with my son.
3. Children: The children in the story are sweet and respectful. Since there is a boy and a girl not only does my son like it, but his little friend (a girl) also relates.
I have a lot of "dusty" DVD's that I wish I could return, but I'm confident that you won't regret spending $'s on this one and making part of your family DVD/VHS collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great video restoration, Dec 12 2010
I own this movie on DVD, and have seen it countless times on television. This felt like I was watching it for the first time. The quality of the image restoration is incredible. The audio is muffled at times, especially for some of the songs, which was somewhat disappointing. The real "wow" factor is how this movie LOOKS! The DVD that I had was the "full screen" 4:3 aspect ratio, and there was so much going on in each frame that I simply missed on the DVD because nearly half the frame was cut off. Also, the colors were all muddy on previous releases. When I saw the flying Chitty, I noticed that the fold out wings were bright red and yellow, on the DVD it looked like brown and sepia. Also, the scenes at the beach had spectacular natural lighting, with rather high contrast, and beautiful technicolor "punchy" colors, which simply never came through before. This was an amazing video clean-up, I only wish that they would have been as careful with the audio.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Not So Special Edition, Nov. 25 2003
W. Moore (USA) - See all my reviews
The film itself is presented in two formats on the first disc. Both widescreen and pan & scan. The widescreen transfer is just slightly wider than the laserdisc release and the colors seem to me to be about the same, though my laserdisc is rotting and the colors are a bit compromised. It might be worth getting for the widescreen alone if you don't already have at that aspect ratio. Also on disc one is the "sing along" feature and a preview of the musical which only succeeds in demonstrating how fat Michael Ball is.
Disc two (home of the real disappointments) has a conversation type "documentary" with Dick Van Dyke (and ONLY Dick Van Dyke) where he reminisces about some of the cast. Another new feature is with Pierre Picton, owner of the nicest of the on-screen cars and it's kind of a fun look at the eccentric who owns and cares for the car. There are 3 vintage featurettes, one with designer Rowland Emett which is interesting, another which is apparently a press conference with Dick Van Dyke (boring) and the last "featuring the children" (but not really). One excellent special feature (and kudos to the person responsible!), is the inclusion of more than a dozen of the Shermans original demos for the film.
There are about 7 trailers for the film, both theatrical and television, but not the one which followed the film on the laserdisc version which, to me, seems like the genuine trailer. It is presented on the DVD in French, but not in English.
The remainder of the special features are kiddie things like digital coloring book, inventor games, etc.
I'm sure money may have been the reason for not presenting a more professional and interesting supplement. Sally Ann Howes is alive and well...I've seen her in NY. The kids, Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall, attended the premiere of the stage show in London, so they're definitely locateable. Very little is said about the locations or the production of the film. I was expecting a documentary of the caliber on MGM's Bond DVD releases given that the production company was largely the same. At least pay Dick enough to do a running commentary! Shame on you, MGM.
Perhaps what disappointed me most of all is that I feel that I could have made a better effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely Great Family Film, Sept. 10 2002
Ei "crzybookmoovielover" (Seekonk, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" came out in 1968, and I can remember seeing it on t.v. when I was growing up in the 70's. It was on par with "The Wizard of Oz" as it was shown once or twice a year on television, and they are both perfect films for the entire family to watch together. You can't say that about many movies that come out these days.
Dick Van Dyke plays Caracatus Potts, a oddball inventor, who lives in England with his two blond children, Jemima and Jeremy.
He is raising them on his own, and when the children almost get run over by "Truly Scrumptious", played by Sally Ann Howes, he meets the woman who just may help him out in bringing the children up. The four of them embark on great adventure and song! There are a few creepy moments. I especially was always freaked out by the childnapper. Other than that, it is a pure joy to view this over and over.
There are a lot of songs in this movie such as the title song, "Truly Scrumptious", "Toot Sweets", "POSH", and "Hushabye Mountain". I really like all the music here as it all has it's place in this truly remarkable piece of family entertainment.
You can even watch it in "sing a long" mode and sing along with the cast. I can only hope in a few years, in the days of "Harry Potter" and "Spy Kids", that he will still appreciate this classic endearing piece of cinema.
There aren't any extras aside from the theatrical trailer, but I love this movie so much that didn't bother me. One should purchase for the great movie that it is.
I am highly recommending you pick this movie up for your family's dvd collection!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tremendous Tale, Aug. 22 2000
By A Customer
It amazes me how both Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Willy Wonka have gotten blastings from some critics for having "forgettable" scores. How do you explain "The Candy Man?" or "Truly Scrumptious?" Almost everyone knows these songs, as they are well written and enjoyable. As is this movie.
Set in a turn-of the century small village, apparently in England (mixed accents notwithstanding-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has a similar problem), an eccentric inventor creates a magical car for his adoring children. An evil King gets wind of the invention, and sends spies to steal the car. They instead steal Grandfather, and Van Dyke and his children take off in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to retrieve him.
Largely overlooked is the heavy World War II symbolism sprinkled throughout the film. The King who hates children represents a racist Hitler, supported by the Gestapoesque Child Catcher and spies who could easily be SS Soldiers. Watching the film with this knowledge makes for an entirely different experience, one many reviewers missed. Especially chilling is a scene near the beginning in which the spies attempt to blow up a bridge. They fail, and when the charge explodes belatedly, the smoke clears to reveal both spies frozen in a Nazi "Heil" salute.
But even without this decidedly adult take on the plot, the film is extraordinarily entertaining. Great songs like "The Old Bamboo," "Toot-Sweet," and "Truly Scrumptious" will be attractive to both parents and children, and frequent use of passable, if dated special effects enhance the feel of the film. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a great film for adults and children, one you'll enjoy watching frequently.

4.0 out of 5 stars They Finally Made a DVD that Has a Widescreen Version!, Jan. 28 2004
I remember watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV several times in the 70's when I was a little girl and really liking it, I thought the story was interesting, the songs were cute and the acting was good. I really liked Dick Van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes, Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall and whenever I found out this movie was being shown on TV I would stop what I was doing and watch it. The movie did seem a bit long and I remember getting fidgety a few times but I still enjoyed the movie and would wach the whole thing. I'm glad that they finally put out a new DVD that has a widescreen version and I will have to think of either buying it or renting it. If you like movies like Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka and the Chocoate Factory, Babes in Toyland, and The Wizard of Oz then I think you will probably like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too! I also remember as a child going to the library and borrowing a vinyal record album which was the movie's soundtrack and enjoying listening to the songs from the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Scrumptious Classic, Aug. 31 2003
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Our family is on a retro trip, having bought this movie, as well as The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The King and I, Willy Wonka, and Pete's Dragon.
One of the reasons is that we want our 2 year old to experience the movies we grew up with, and the other is nostalgia.
Before watching this movie again recently, I could only remember that there was a flying car, a nice title song, and something about children being kidnapped. Watching it again for the first time, I discovered that I had forgotten most of the movie.
Caractacus Potts (Dick Van Dyke) is an inventor way ahead of his time, whose inventions don't always work the way they are intended. If you think his name is weird, the female lead is Truly Scrumptious (Sally Ann Howes), the daughter of a rich sweet manufacturer. This unlikely pair, along with his two kids and the wonderful car, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, are the star players in a story which starts out being about pirates, and ends up as a rescue mission. With comic support from Caractacus' father, and a toy maker (Benny Hill, in an uncharacteristic G rated performance), they defeat the schemes of spies (kind of like Laurel and Hardy combined with Boris and Natasha), an evil Baron and Baroness,and a wicked childcatcher, to bring the story within a story to a predictable but entertaining end.
The scenery is breathtaking, especially the Vulgarian castle and surroundings, and since this is a 1968 movie, we can forgive the lack of finesse in the special effects, where the characters stick out like sore thumbs from the backgrounds, and wires can be seen attached to Professor Potts during a dance sequence.
It's a little harder to swallow the concept of Truly Scrumptious running around on the beach dressed in tons of white cloth and coming up spotless, and her song about needing a lovely man is way too over the top and much too long. I will admit to skipping over that one.
The sing along feature is a nice touch, and catchy songs (other than the theme song) include "Me Old Bamboo", "Toot Sweet", my personal favorite "P O S H (Posh)", and the nearly too sugary "Truly Scrumptious".
Overall, this DVD is a refreshing family movie that you will watch over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC VIEWING FOR YOUNG OR OLD, Dec 22 2003
DAVID WILSON (Stanhope Gardens, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
What a treasure this movie is on DVD, finally the remastered Widescreen version is available. Presented in the 2.20 aspect ratio and comes with a new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.
Completely marvellous and enchanting viewing for any age, the colours are superb. Not one spot or grain, forget about the negative reviews, this movie is a treasure to keep in the DVD library. It's all for fun and good entertainment, brilliant music and cinematography.
A big thank you to MGM who finally gave us this DVD Widescreen remaster with a brillaint box cover that comes with it. So bright and eye catching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Children in the 1960s, Now Just Memory Lane, Dec 13 2006
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" has the unique position in my life as being the first movie I saw in the cinema. When I was 3 or 4 or whenever I saw it, I believed I loved it. My vague memories are wonderful. Now, watching again at age 40, in 2006, it does not carry over well.

Why?

It was probably no help to watch the much superior "Mary Poppins" just before. Dick Van Dyke is a great character actor, with a range of skills that make him the perfect clown actor. However, unlike in "Mary Poppins," he was not given the right materials.

His female co-lead is weak - Sally Ann Howes is no Julie Andrews. The children actors could not have been more bland. The plot was hard to follow, even as an adult.

There is one catchy song played too often, based on the onomonopoeticism of the sound the car made while rumbling down the road. Had there been more up tempo songs, or wittier lyrics, I think the movie would have twice the staying power. The other songs sound too close to lullabies.

So why it is so popular, and why do I still give it four stars? I'm sentimental perhaps, Dick Van Dyke is so good at doing that Dick Van Dyke thing, or I still find the idea of a car that can fly, float, and look retro-cool fascinating. James Bond would have loved the car, and, why not? Ian Fleming, Bond's creator, wrote the book upon which the movie is based.

The premise is that a well-meaning, hardworking inventor played by Van Dyke, single parents two pretty good kids who help push him forward in life. The kids, by force of accident, introduce him to candy heiress Truly Scrumptious. Although they start off awkwardly, the two quickly treat the children to a fantasy of a kingdom without children, flying buildings, international espionage, and romance.

For me, the difficulty was that the plot flowed in and out of fantasy. Knowing which was which was hard, and when the ending finally comes around, it seemed as if the worlds became one. I felt confused.

Did I like the movie? Yes. If I were shopping for a sweet children's movie, and I wanted something with more classic values, I would consider "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." It would not be the first DVD I picked up, but it would be a far better choice than the latest toy-based Saturday morning cartoon series.

Anthony Trendl
editor, HungarianBookstore.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie Finally in Widescreen!!!, July 18 2004
By A Customer
Theyve finally rleased this film in widescreen as they should have done years ago. And for the record this is NOT a DISNEY movie! It was made and released by UNITED ARTISTS. Don't you guys read the credits?

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (Bilingual) [Import]