5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty - FUN FUN !!
I kept hearing from my friends who have young children (2 - 5 year olds) that their children loved this movie, so I decided to finally buy it and check it out for my 2.5 year old son. He loves it and so do I. It has all the important components for a fun family/childrens movie:
Published on Feb. 13 2004 by Thoms-Mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Not So Special Edition
Well...after all the waiting, it's finally landed. I wish I could say that it's truly scrumptious, but in truth, from the ashes of disaster (the previous DVD release) grow the roses of mediocrity. Like so many DVD "special editions" of late (A Christmas Story, Willy Wonka, etc), this one is a bit short on the "special".
The film itself is presented in two formats...
Published on Nov. 25 2003 by W. Moore

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty - FUN FUN !!, Feb. 13 2004
Thoms-Mom (Somewhere In America) - See all my reviews
1. The Music: It's fun and gets my son up and dancing around the room. Also the words are catchy and easy for children to learn (although Chitty can be tricky for the little ones :-)
2. Story line: It's really fun and easy to follow. Anything with a car, let alone a flying car rates high with my son.
3. Children: The children in the story are sweet and respectful. Since there is a boy and a girl not only does my son like it, but his little friend (a girl) also relates.
I have a lot of "dusty" DVD's that I wish I could return, but I'm confident that you won't regret spending $'s on this one and making part of your family DVD/VHS collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A genuinely Great Family Film, Sept. 10 2002
Ei "crzybookmoovielover" (Seekonk, Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" came out in 1968, and I can remember seeing it on t.v. when I was growing up in the 70's. It was on par with "The Wizard of Oz" as it was shown once or twice a year on television, and they are both perfect films for the entire family to watch together. You can't say that about many movies that come out these days.
Dick Van Dyke plays Caracatus Potts, a oddball inventor, who lives in England with his two blond children, Jemima and Jeremy.
He is raising them on his own, and when the children almost get run over by "Truly Scrumptious", played by Sally Ann Howes, he meets the woman who just may help him out in bringing the children up. The four of them embark on great adventure and song! There are a few creepy moments. I especially was always freaked out by the childnapper. Other than that, it is a pure joy to view this over and over.
There are a lot of songs in this movie such as the title song, "Truly Scrumptious", "Toot Sweets", "POSH", and "Hushabye Mountain". I really like all the music here as it all has it's place in this truly remarkable piece of family entertainment.
You can even watch it in "sing a long" mode and sing along with the cast. I can only hope in a few years, in the days of "Harry Potter" and "Spy Kids", that he will still appreciate this classic endearing piece of cinema.
There aren't any extras aside from the theatrical trailer, but I love this movie so much that didn't bother me. One should purchase for the great movie that it is.
I am highly recommending you pick this movie up for your family's dvd collection!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tremendous Tale, Aug. 22 2000
By A Customer
It amazes me how both Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Willy Wonka have gotten blastings from some critics for having "forgettable" scores. How do you explain "The Candy Man?" or "Truly Scrumptious?" Almost everyone knows these songs, as they are well written and enjoyable. As is this movie.
Set in a turn-of the century small village, apparently in England (mixed accents notwithstanding-Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory has a similar problem), an eccentric inventor creates a magical car for his adoring children. An evil King gets wind of the invention, and sends spies to steal the car. They instead steal Grandfather, and Van Dyke and his children take off in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to retrieve him.
Largely overlooked is the heavy World War II symbolism sprinkled throughout the film. The King who hates children represents a racist Hitler, supported by the Gestapoesque Child Catcher and spies who could easily be SS Soldiers. Watching the film with this knowledge makes for an entirely different experience, one many reviewers missed. Especially chilling is a scene near the beginning in which the spies attempt to blow up a bridge. They fail, and when the charge explodes belatedly, the smoke clears to reveal both spies frozen in a Nazi "Heil" salute.
But even without this decidedly adult take on the plot, the film is extraordinarily entertaining. Great songs like "The Old Bamboo," "Toot-Sweet," and "Truly Scrumptious" will be attractive to both parents and children, and frequent use of passable, if dated special effects enhance the feel of the film. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a great film for adults and children, one you'll enjoy watching frequently.

4.0 out of 5 stars They Finally Made a DVD that Has a Widescreen Version!, Jan. 28 2004
I remember watching Chitty Chitty Bang Bang on TV several times in the 70's when I was a little girl and really liking it, I thought the story was interesting, the songs were cute and the acting was good. I really liked Dick Van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes, Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall and whenever I found out this movie was being shown on TV I would stop what I was doing and watch it. The movie did seem a bit long and I remember getting fidgety a few times but I still enjoyed the movie and would wach the whole thing. I'm glad that they finally put out a new DVD that has a widescreen version and I will have to think of either buying it or renting it. If you like movies like Mary Poppins, Willy Wonka and the Chocoate Factory, Babes in Toyland, and The Wizard of Oz then I think you will probably like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too! I also remember as a child going to the library and borrowing a vinyal record album which was the movie's soundtrack and enjoying listening to the songs from the movie.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Not So Special Edition, Nov. 25 2003
W. Moore (USA) - See all my reviews
The film itself is presented in two formats on the first disc. Both widescreen and pan & scan. The widescreen transfer is just slightly wider than the laserdisc release and the colors seem to me to be about the same, though my laserdisc is rotting and the colors are a bit compromised. It might be worth getting for the widescreen alone if you don't already have at that aspect ratio. Also on disc one is the "sing along" feature and a preview of the musical which only succeeds in demonstrating how fat Michael Ball is.
Disc two (home of the real disappointments) has a conversation type "documentary" with Dick Van Dyke (and ONLY Dick Van Dyke) where he reminisces about some of the cast. Another new feature is with Pierre Picton, owner of the nicest of the on-screen cars and it's kind of a fun look at the eccentric who owns and cares for the car. There are 3 vintage featurettes, one with designer Rowland Emett which is interesting, another which is apparently a press conference with Dick Van Dyke (boring) and the last "featuring the children" (but not really). One excellent special feature (and kudos to the person responsible!), is the inclusion of more than a dozen of the Shermans original demos for the film.
There are about 7 trailers for the film, both theatrical and television, but not the one which followed the film on the laserdisc version which, to me, seems like the genuine trailer. It is presented on the DVD in French, but not in English.
The remainder of the special features are kiddie things like digital coloring book, inventor games, etc.
I'm sure money may have been the reason for not presenting a more professional and interesting supplement. Sally Ann Howes is alive and well...I've seen her in NY. The kids, Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall, attended the premiere of the stage show in London, so they're definitely locateable. Very little is said about the locations or the production of the film. I was expecting a documentary of the caliber on MGM's Bond DVD releases given that the production company was largely the same. At least pay Dick enough to do a running commentary! Shame on you, MGM.
Perhaps what disappointed me most of all is that I feel that I could have made a better effort.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Scrumptious Classic, Aug. 31 2003
Amanda Richards (Georgetown, Guyana) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
Our family is on a retro trip, having bought this movie, as well as The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The King and I, Willy Wonka, and Pete's Dragon.
One of the reasons is that we want our 2 year old to experience the movies we grew up with, and the other is nostalgia.
Before watching this movie again recently, I could only remember that there was a flying car, a nice title song, and something about children being kidnapped. Watching it again for the first time, I discovered that I had forgotten most of the movie.
Caractacus Potts (Dick Van Dyke) is an inventor way ahead of his time, whose inventions don't always work the way they are intended. If you think his name is weird, the female lead is Truly Scrumptious (Sally Ann Howes), the daughter of a rich sweet manufacturer. This unlikely pair, along with his two kids and the wonderful car, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, are the star players in a story which starts out being about pirates, and ends up as a rescue mission. With comic support from Caractacus' father, and a toy maker (Benny Hill, in an uncharacteristic G rated performance), they defeat the schemes of spies (kind of like Laurel and Hardy combined with Boris and Natasha), an evil Baron and Baroness,and a wicked childcatcher, to bring the story within a story to a predictable but entertaining end.
The scenery is breathtaking, especially the Vulgarian castle and surroundings, and since this is a 1968 movie, we can forgive the lack of finesse in the special effects, where the characters stick out like sore thumbs from the backgrounds, and wires can be seen attached to Professor Potts during a dance sequence.
It's a little harder to swallow the concept of Truly Scrumptious running around on the beach dressed in tons of white cloth and coming up spotless, and her song about needing a lovely man is way too over the top and much too long. I will admit to skipping over that one.
The sing along feature is a nice touch, and catchy songs (other than the theme song) include "Me Old Bamboo", "Toot Sweet", my personal favorite "P O S H (Posh)", and the nearly too sugary "Truly Scrumptious".
Overall, this DVD is a refreshing family movie that you will watch over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC VIEWING FOR YOUNG OR OLD, Dec 22 2003
DAVID WILSON (Stanhope Gardens, NSW Australia) - See all my reviews
What a treasure this movie is on DVD, finally the remastered Widescreen version is available. Presented in the 2.20 aspect ratio and comes with a new Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtrack.
Completely marvellous and enchanting viewing for any age, the colours are superb. Not one spot or grain, forget about the negative reviews, this movie is a treasure to keep in the DVD library. It's all for fun and good entertainment, brilliant music and cinematography.
A big thank you to MGM who finally gave us this DVD Widescreen remaster with a brillaint box cover that comes with it. So bright and eye catching.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for Children in the 1960s, Now Just Memory Lane, Dec 13 2006
"Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" has the unique position in my life as being the first movie I saw in the cinema. When I was 3 or 4 or whenever I saw it, I believed I loved it. My vague memories are wonderful. Now, watching again at age 40, in 2006, it does not carry over well.

Why?

It was probably no help to watch the much superior "Mary Poppins" just before. Dick Van Dyke is a great character actor, with a range of skills that make him the perfect clown actor. However, unlike in "Mary Poppins," he was not given the right materials.

His female co-lead is weak - Sally Ann Howes is no Julie Andrews. The children actors could not have been more bland. The plot was hard to follow, even as an adult.

There is one catchy song played too often, based on the onomonopoeticism of the sound the car made while rumbling down the road. Had there been more up tempo songs, or wittier lyrics, I think the movie would have twice the staying power. The other songs sound too close to lullabies.

So why it is so popular, and why do I still give it four stars? I'm sentimental perhaps, Dick Van Dyke is so good at doing that Dick Van Dyke thing, or I still find the idea of a car that can fly, float, and look retro-cool fascinating. James Bond would have loved the car, and, why not? Ian Fleming, Bond's creator, wrote the book upon which the movie is based.

The premise is that a well-meaning, hardworking inventor played by Van Dyke, single parents two pretty good kids who help push him forward in life. The kids, by force of accident, introduce him to candy heiress Truly Scrumptious. Although they start off awkwardly, the two quickly treat the children to a fantasy of a kingdom without children, flying buildings, international espionage, and romance.

For me, the difficulty was that the plot flowed in and out of fantasy. Knowing which was which was hard, and when the ending finally comes around, it seemed as if the worlds became one. I felt confused.

Did I like the movie? Yes. If I were shopping for a sweet children's movie, and I wanted something with more classic values, I would consider "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang." It would not be the first DVD I picked up, but it would be a far better choice than the latest toy-based Saturday morning cartoon series.

Anthony Trendl
editor, HungarianBookstore.com

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie Finally in Widescreen!!!, July 18 2004
By A Customer
Theyve finally rleased this film in widescreen as they should have done years ago. And for the record this is NOT a DISNEY movie! It was made and released by UNITED ARTISTS. Don't you guys read the credits?

5.0 out of 5 stars Chitty Chitty Bang Bang [1968] [Blu-ray] [UK Release], Aug. 2 2014
Andrew C. Miller - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang [1968] [Blu-ray] [UK Release] A VIVID, SPLENDID RIDE!

Ladies and Gentlemen, boys and girls – start your engines. You’re about to take an incredible ride with one of the most wonderful family films of all time. With its clever tunes (including the 1968 OSCAR® Nominated Original Title Song). Marvellous cast and enchanting storyline, this delightful romp is lots of fun and simply “toot sweet” to pass up! Dick Van Dyke stars as eccentric inventor Caractacus Potts, who creates an extraordinary car called Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It not only drives, but also flies and floats, as it leads him, his two children and his beautiful lady friend, Truly Scrumptious [Sally Ann Howes], into a magical world of pirates, castles and endless adventure.

FILM FACT: "Doll on a Music Box" is sung near the end of the musical by Truly and is a musical counterpoint, also being sung simultaneously with Caractacus' rendition of the song "Truly Scrumptious". Two songs apparently intended for the film but ultimately relegated only to instrumental background music. The Caractacus Potts inventions in the film were created by Rowland Emett. In 1976, Time magazine, describing Emett's work, said no term other than "Fantasticator...could remotely convey the diverse genius of the perky, pink-cheeked Englishman whose pixilation’s, in cartoon, watercolour and clanking 3D reality, range from the celebrated Far Tottering and Oyster Creek Railway to the demented thingamabobs that made the 1968 movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang a minuscule classic."

Cast: Dick Van Dyke, Sally Ann Howes, Adrian Hall, Heather Ripley, Lionel Jeffries, Gert Fröbe, Stanley Unwin, Anna Quayle, Benny Hill, James Robertson Justice, Robert Helpmann, Desmond Llewelyn, Arthur Mullard and Barbara Windsor

Director: Ken Hughes

Producer: Albert R. Broccoli

Screenwriters: Ken Hughes and Roald Dahl

Composers: Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman

Cinematography: Christopher Challis

Resolution: 1080p

Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1 [Super Panavision]

Audio: English: 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, Spanish: 5.1 Dolby Digital and French: 5.1 DTS

Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish and French

Running Time: 140 minutes

Region: All Regions

Number of discs: 1

Studio: 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Andrew’s Blu-ray Review – ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ belongs to a class of films that are often mistaken for Disney productions when they're in fact not. While on other movies the reasoning doesn't usually go further than the use of animation or archetypes made popular by Disney, in the case of Chitty, the confusion is more warranted. Dick Van Dyke playing the male lead in a splashy, two-and-a-half-hour 1960s musical with songs by the Sherman Brothers and score by Irwin Kostal is understandably reminiscent of Mary Poppins. Throw in a prim and proper female lead and two children (all from England), and the comparisons to Disney's 1964 classic are inevitable.

Loosely based on a book by James Bond creator Ian Fleming, ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ finds its protagonist by way of Caractacus Potts [Dick Van Dyke]. Potts is an inventor, but not a very successful one. As the single father of children Jemima [Heather Ripley] and Jeremy [Adrian Hall], he struggles to make ends meet. The children request he save a used motorcar from destruction, so Potts has it completely refurbished, christening it Chitty Chitty Bang Bang based on the sound it makes.

With Chitty, the trio meets the refined, well-to-do Truly Scrumptious [Sally Ann Howes], daughter of a rich candy factory owner. She joins the group on a picnic that leads to storytelling from Potts. In his tale, the petulant and greedy Baron Bomburst [Gert Fröbe] seeks to steal Chitty for himself. Unable to do so, he kidnaps Grandpa Potts [Lionel Jeffries], thinking him to be the creator of Chitty. Thanks to the features Caractacus has installed in the vehicle, the gang follows Bomburst by both sea and air to the land of Vulgaria, where children are strictly prohibited. Now Caractacus finds himself having to both rescue Grandpa and keep his kids safe.

‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ can best be described as a charming chore. By that I mean that that while the film holds plenty of entertainment value, its meandering story (adapted by kid lit icon Roald Dahl and director Ken Hughes) is a bit trying. Though frequently misidentified as a Disney movie, Disney has always prided themselves on their tight and efficient narratives. Chitty, on the other hand, is awfully indulgent, throwing in fantastic sequences and musical numbers just because it can. In fact, the whole story-within-a-story concept doesn't even start until nearly 80 minutes in. Before that, you're left wondering where all this is leading.

The second half of the picture works much better, which is unusual, since many musicals have a strong first act to which the second can't compare, especially with films of the genre of The Sound of Music, Funny Girl, and Fiddler on the Roof immediately come to mind. That's not to say that Chitty's Act II is perfect, however. The whole thing is played pretty much as a farce and because of that, there's barely a sense of peril. Only two scenes involving Robert Helpmann's creepy Child Catcher character present any real tension.

Even at its most self-serving, the picture is still entertaining for a variety of reasons. The songs by Richard and Robert Sherman are as strong as those of their other works. The title song and "Toot Sweets" both stay in one's head for days while "Doll on a Music Box" has a haunting quality to it. The choreography by Poppins' Marc Breaux and Dee Dee Wood is also impressive, particularly on "Toot Sweets" and "Me Ol' Bamboo." Often, musical numbers have a different feel from their surroundings, but these ones display just as much creativity and imagination as the dramatic scenes.

Dick Van Dyke essentially plays himself here, which is just fine as he exudes natural charm as always. His charisma is almost enough to make one forget he's the sole American in this production, a fact that makes him being the father of two British children a bit odd (Van Dyke reportedly refused to do an accent for the film after the criticism he endured for his Cockney one in Poppins).

The rest of the cast is likewise appealing and obviously having a great deal of fun. Most surprising is Gert Fröbe. Having only seen him as the calm and collected Bond villain Goldfinger, his over-the-top temper tantrums as the Baron are quite a revelation. Other cast members like Sally Ann Howes, Benny Hill, and Lionel Jeffries feel slightly underutilized, but they make the most of their screen time, particularly Lionel Jeffries.

There's a lot to like about ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.’ It has memorable numbers, staggering production design, and a sense of whimsy that's reflected in its cast. Unfortunately, it takes too long to really get going and prefers showing off what it can do rather than serving the story it's telling. So long as expectations are kept in check, fans of musical fantasies in the vein of Mary Poppins should enjoy this.

Blu-ray Video Quality – ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ was shot in spherical 65mm format (70mm for theatrical prints), here called Super Panavision as that company provided the lenses and cameras, but which was basically the same as Todd-AO, the better-known process (at least as Todd-AO existed in the late-1960s). The result is an extremely sharp, steady image along the lines of similar 65mm titles released films. The detail is just incredible, especially in wide shots and tight close-ups, where landscapes and actors' faces, pebbles on a beach, the texture of the costumes and make-ups on the actors, really take on an almost 3D look. Viewers can note the extreme detail given to even the extras' costumes and grotesque make-up and hairstyles, or in Ken Adam's highly imaginative set design.

Blu-ray Audio Video – The Roadshow presentations of ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ were also in six-track magnetic stereo, with fully directional dialogue and superb fidelity that, to my ears at least, home theatre audio still can't quite surpass. The 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio comes awfully close, however. It's extremely strong for what it is, really maximizing the audio in every scene. The film was preceded by a brief overture, includes an unusual cliff-hanger intermission break, entr'acte, and exit music, all of which are included here.

Blu-ray Special Features and Extras:

Sing-Along: The Blu-ray carries over virtually all of the supplements from 2003's two-disc Special Edition DVD starting with a sing-along. As expected, this offers all of the film's musical numbers with accompanying lyrics that change colours so the singer can follow along. In a nice touch, this can be activated on the film itself or one could choose to play only the musical numbers individually or consecutively.

Chitty Chitty’s, Bang Bang – Driving Game: The first of the Blu-ray-exclusive is where the player must guide Chitty through a path made out to look like a 2-D board game. Along the way, the player must avoid hitting obstacles and characters. The gameplay itself is shockingly clunky compared to most Blu-ray games, and to make matters worse, it is over in approximately 60 seconds.

Toot Sweet Toot’s Musical Maestro: At six points throughout the film, a selection of coloured candies will emerge at the bottom of the screen. The player must press the corresponding colour keys on their remote in the same order the sweets twirl in. Why this is placed over the feature film six times instead of in an isolated set-top game is anyone's guess. It's boring and offers no treat for successful play.

Remembering ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ with Dick Van Dyke [25:58] Showcases a then-current interview with the actor about his experiences making the film. While he lavishes praise on his co-workers and the film itself, he still provides plenty of substantial information. Nearly every musical number he was a part of is given some attention, and he even points out little details to look for in each. While it's a shame Sally Ann Howes and the two actors who played the children weren't interviewed to give this piece a broader perspective, Van Dyke's winning enthusiasm makes the featurette worth a look.

A Fantasmagorical Motorcar [9:43] looks at the iconic car itself and its owner Pierre Picton. Picton tells of how he was entrusted with the car's maintenance during production and how he later stumbled upon it once again, purchasing it for himself. He also gives a detailed examination of the car and all of its kooky details. Picton's anecdotes are interesting, and the showcasing of the car gives one an appreciation for its design.

Sherman Brother’s Demos [30:20] Performed by the Sherman Brothers themselves, whether or not both are present is difficult to tell as only Richard is singing. What makes this particularly unique is that three of the demos are for songs that didn't make it into the film. All are a treat to hear and are surprisingly crisp in quality. Note that during the duration of these songs, a static image of Chitty is placed on the screen. While a half-hour may not be enough time to create burn-in on a screen, it's still a little uncomfortable not to have other images in rotation.

Vintage Documentary: You get a trio of promotional clips from the time of the film's release. The Ditchling Tinkerer [10:06] Focuses on inventor Roland Emmett. Emmett can be credited with the many bizarre contraptions found in the Potts home, and he even gives us a closer examination of how these work.

Dick Van Dyke Press Interview [8:48] Here you have a single-take Q & A between the actor and off-screen journalists whose questions are rather banal and even a little sceptical. While Van Dyke's answers are well thought-out, his mannerisms and expressions throughout the interview make him seem a little tipsy. When one knows of the actor's struggle with alcohol during this time period, it makes for somewhat uneasy viewing.

The Potts Children [3:05] Looks at child actors Heather Ripley and Adrian Hall. We see them fooling around with the other actors in between takes and even some of their (staged) time exploring the German countryside. Oddly, the children (especially Ripley) sound significantly older in their narration, making one wonder how long the film's post-production process ran.

Photo Gallery: You have a 46-still photo gallery contains various shots from the set, both candid behind-the-scenes and ones shot for promotional purposes.

Vintage Advertising Galleries: Contains the Theatrical Trailer [3:20], a French Theatrical Trailer [3:36] and five TV spots [3:36].

Finally, while perhaps falling short of being a genuine classic, ‘Chitty Chitty Bang Bang’ remains an absolute cinematic delight, which has been a massive favourite of mine for years. It is definitely recommended for viewers of all ages, but it's absolutely essential viewing for children. The hi-definition image and sound are terrific, making it easy to suggest why you should get this awesome Blu-ray disc and again I am so proud to now have it added to my Blu-ray Collection and if you have not got this in your Blu-ray Collection, then you are missing out on a fantastic treat and it will take you on a fantastic journey and all the extras you get with this Blu-ray disc is totally fascinating and is an added bonus. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Andrew C. Miller – Your Ultimate No.1 Film Fan