5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I rate this movie 5 stars(along with CATS)!Giant monsters,evil alien women,cool special effects-who could ask for anything more?
This is one of the best Godzilla films ever!
Published on Oct. 4 2001 by M. L. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, dumb, movie.
A movie historian may tell you that this movie has some sort of significance. They may be right from a production, or musical score point of view.
Published on Feb. 22 2012 by Mayor Maynot

4.0 out of 5 stars DESTROY ALL MONSTERS, Sept. 30 2012
This review is from: Destroy all Monsters (DVD)
CLASSIC MOVIE BRINGS BACK MEMORIES. . GREAT SPECIAL EFFECTS FOR THAT TIME THIS MOVIE CAME OUT . PLUS YOU GET TO SEE A GREAT LINE UP OF MONSTERS. ONE OF THE BEST MOVIE WHEN I WAS A TEEN.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, dumb, movie., Feb. 22 2012
This review is from: Destroy all Monsters [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
From the point of view of the consumer, however, this movie makes no sense. Somehow, all the worlds monsters are trapped on one island and aren't killing each other like they did in all the other movies. They are kept in place with defenses that they could easily defeat, yet, for some reason they don't even try.
Then, out of nowhere, aliens show up. You can tell they are aliens cause they are wearing sparkly silver outfits with capes and head gear that looks like a swimming cap.
They take over "monsterland" and take remote control of some of the large monsters and use them to destroy the model... I mean major cities of the world. New York, Paris, London etc... all get the monster make over. Tokyo is spared this time, for now... dah dah dahhhhh!!!!
Naturally, Japan calls its moon astro-nots back from the moon to take their space ship underground to investigate the aliens. Oh, wait, they don't know they have an alien swim team invading yet... oh well.
Anyway, they take the space ship underground, the natural habitat for any space ship designed to travel to the moon and back, and which, for no reason, can split in half and both halves can fly independently.
So a bunch of models... I mean cities are destroyed, then some guy finds a metal ball in a rock, or something, and it turns out this is one of many balls controlling the monsters. They then find several balls in strange locations. My favorite is the coconut one. Ya, they found a ball inside a coconut.
So the good guys try to shoot the aliens, and, surprise! The bullets or lasers, or whatever their guns are supposed to shoot, do nothing to the alien swim team.
Then I tuned out as the spaceship went places and did things and the alien swim team tried to conquer earth and Tokyo finally got clobbered.
Then five monsters gang up on one space monster and kill it fast and easy. Then they give it to the aliens and beat them.
Then we see all the monsters who weren't really in the movie back in "monsterland" for about five seconds standing around doing nothing and then THE END.
So much to make fun of here. So very, very much to make fun of. I know its an old movie. I know it was about $500 000 for the budget, but man, what a cheese ball of a movie!
I throughly enjoyed it! The kitch, the "acting", the men in rubber suits, the son of Godzilla looking like a stoner... split my sides with laughter! Rodan looked like a giant, drugged up chicken! Also, when did Mothra revert to a caterpillar?
Ok, I'll stop now. If you are a fan of Toho (Godzilla) you will enjoy this film. Despite my review, I did enjoy the film. It was fun to watch the models... I mean cities get destroyed and all...
THE END

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Oct. 4 2001
M. L. Smith (Florida) - See all my reviews
This is one of the best Godzilla films ever!

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Much Worse, Feb. 26 2012
Craig (Toronto Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Destroy all Monsters (DVD)
I first bought Destroy All Monster when ADV released their "50th Anniversary Edition" (the one with only the International English dub, no chapters, no menu, no special features, nothing except a bonus CD soundtrack [the only thing good about the release]). So when I heard about this release I decided to get it and replace my old DVD version. Like my other reviews this one will cover the DVD itself, not the movie; there are many other fine customer reviews out there that talk about the film itself.

First the quality of the movie itself: The picture quality is pretty good, considering how old the film is. I didn't really notice any scratches/blemishes or other problems. The brightness and contrast seemed fine, as did the colour saturation. The Audio is really good. I say that because unlike my old version, this actually has the original Japanese language track, with optional English subtitles. It also has both English dubs: Toho's International English dub (the one my old DVD had) and AIP's American English dub (which in my opinion is the superior dub, it's a shame the DVD's for Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster and Son of Godzilla didn't include these dubs on their releases but that's a debate for another time). It also has an audio commentary by Steve Ryfle and Ed Godziszewski which is on par with their other commentaries on DVD's (Mothra vs. Godzilla, Gojira). My only real complaint (and a minor one at that) is that they didn't subtitle the opening credits but simply put text with an English translation at the end of the film. Personally I liked the subtitles on the Japanese opening credits like Classic Media did for they're releases, but that's just me.

The special features are really what made me give it the rating I did. While on the plus side this release actually has special features unlike the other release, they're really a mixed bag. Some of the features (the Japanese trailers) are as good as the film, though for some strange reason they don't bother to put subtitles on them while other promotional material (trailers from other countries like France) are such poor quality that it's almost hard to make out what's being shown on screen and the audio is so low you can barely hear it. It kind of made me wonder why they even bothered putting on the DVD in the first place. Like I've said on my reviews for the Classic Media Godzilla releases, I'm still convinced the attitude of the distributors is, "You've got the Japanese version! What more do you want?!" since all the focus seems to go into making the Japanese version really good while ignoring everything else, or at least putting supplements on as an afterthought. While ordinarily this might make me give this DVD a lower rating this is still much better than the treatment this film got before. This is probably the best we're going to get. It's not perfect but it's still pretty good, I definitely recommend this release for any Godzilla fan.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun movie -- very bad dubbing, July 4 2004
Jim Mann (Pittsburgh, PA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters Vol 1 (DVD)
For the 50th anniversary of Godzilla, we have a special relelease of Destroy All Monsters on DVD. This in itself is good, and an added attraction is that there's a second disc -- a CD of the soundtrack. But there are two downsides:
-- there are no special featuers -- not even a theatrical trailer.
-- the dub is the poorly acted recent dub from a few years ago. The original dub is not great (what dubs are? Why, oh, why, don't they also offer subtitled versions), this one is very poorly acted, more so that usual even for these types of films.
Overall, I'd still recommend this to Godzilla fans (and I've been one since seeing King Kong vs. Godzilla in its original US showing at the drive-in when I was a kid), but it could have been so much better.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4 Stars for Godzilla fans, 3 for Everyone else, Jan. 9 2012
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Destroy all Monsters [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
When I was a kid growing up just outside of Toronto there was a Buffalo TV station that would run after school movies. Every week had a different theme. A couple times a year they would have monster week. Every male student in my class would run home to catch these movies. This was pre home video player so it was the only chance you would get to catch theses films. My all time favorite was this film. It has almost all the Toho monsters in it and the last half hour is full out monster rumble. Don't get me wrong these are not great movies. I mean I love them but I know most people dont. That being said if you like this type of movie you will love this one.
The Blu ray is good. The picture is about a 7 out of 10. The audio is about the same. I looked for this movie for years on VHS and then finally got it on DVD. But this Blu ray rocks. I am glad I didn't have to wait for the formate to be around for ten years before it came out.

1.0 out of 5 stars All Hype, No Bite, April 25 2009
Greg "neurosky" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters Vol 1 (DVD)
I've waited to see this film since I was a little kid. I had a big monster book and was hooked by B&W stills from the movie. Based on reviews I had read over the years from cult film fans, I presumed it was a fairly good film. Instead, it turned out to be a disappointment. The film focuses too heavily on the human storyline, which is boring and lame. The scriptwriting is truly horrid, and the acting and voiceovers are dull to say the least. If you kept a word count of the word "right" you would be shocked by the total--in fact, it appears so many times that it couldn't have been by chance. The spoken lines are so mechanically written that it appears that it was the intent of the writers that the film make fun of itself...but dull is dull, whether intentional or not. The little bit of monster action that there is doesn't begin to make up for all the wasted time on the incredibly boring human storyline. This is quite possibly one of the worst Godzilla films. Not "Godzilla VS Megalon" bad, not "Godzilla's Revenge" bad, but...incredibly dull!

As for the DVD release itself, another disappointment. The cover art was so appealing that I assumed the 20 dollar price tag for this item would be worth it by special features or a beautiful menu. But there are no special features, and no menu. That's right, you can't select a scene--you can't even skip scenes! Pathetic.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great Kaiju/Godzilla film., Jan. 23 2006
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters (DVD)
This was a good Godzilla movie. It features just about every single monster and the aliens are also a nice touch. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fact that, with all the monsters around, Godzilla seems rather small.
OK, basically the story goes that all the world's monsters are confined on an island called monster land (or monster island, whichever you prefer.) and they have specail devices to keep them there. One day the defices are shut off and the workers are put to sleep and hypnotized by a yellow dust. The monsters break free and are set to destroy the world's major cities. (Mind you, the year is 1999 and humans have 'special technology' and a base on the moon. Cool, huh?) The humans later find out that aliens are controlling the monsters, and humans have to save the world.
This is one of my fave movies of the Showa series just because it has jus about everything! Aliens, monsters, destruction, explosions, hypnotics, UFO's... it's very fun. My two beefs with this film is the fact that A: As I said before, Godzilla seems small and I think that he should have had a bigger part. B: The parts with destruction and the final battle with a surprise monster are rather short. They are fun, but they could have been longer.
All in all a fun kaiju and G movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars baragon, July 1 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters (DVD)
I don't think Baragon is really in this movie; the only scene he gets (I think) is at the end, and that scene is stock footage. At least Varan's quick scene is new (must be, it's in color). I wish this film had the old AIP English dub. Also wish there were chapter stops, menu, extras. But I disagree with the one review that says this version is missing monster scenes -- as far as I can tell, comparing it to the old AIP version and the original Japanese print, there are no scenes missing here. Buy it, but really, Baragon isn't in this!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Godzilla movie ever, June 28 2004
This review is from: Destroy All Monsters Vol 1 (DVD)
Do you like Kaiju and classic sci-fi flicks?Then you've definetly watched this one. For the few who already hasn't only one suggestion......hurry up and buy it.
I'm not going to complain about the quality of the DVD release or the dubbing in English. For a Godzilla movie of this magnitute, this sounds a bit pointless. For me this film is the top of all the monster flicks. I,d also like to have it uncut and subtitled but i feel privileged and lucky just to own it in a DVD copy. That way i could watch it as many times as i want without damaging the movie. Now i'm even thinking of buying a second copy just to replace the first one in case something happens to it.
I first watched it at a summer theater when i was young and from that point i fell in love with it. I own all of the Godzilla films since i am a Godzilla maniac but this one surpass every other one, easily.
Inoshiro Honda's best movie ever and Ifukumbe's best soundtrack ever.
The story in a few words is the following:
Human race confined all the monsters in monster-island using some kind of transmitters with creates an invisible barrier surrounding the island. Aliens with bad intentions are setting them loose and afterwards they control them. Their primary orders are the demolition of every major city in the world. Later on humanity find the way to set the monsters free from the alien control and turn them against the Alien invaders. At that point the aliens have no other choice than to summon the space monster Ghidrah and set this party on fire.
As you all monster-movie lovers probably asumed by the story above, hell breaks lose on earth and we all can be the front watchers of this titanic rampage!! Godzilla saga DEFINATELY at its best moments.The only movie i expect and hope to throw this 1968 flick from the top of my list is Toho's upcoming Godzilla last project, "Godzilla: Final Wars".
I feel the need to express my graditute to Inoshiro Honda and his crew for making these kind of films(anyone seen "Mysterians" or "Battle in outer space" knows exactly what i'm talking about),which allow you to feel young again and send you on a fabulous journey throughout the boundries of your imagination. Thanx Inoshiro, you'll always have a special place in our hurts.

Destroy all Monsters [Blu-ray]
Destroy all Monsters [Blu-ray] by Mediablasters (Blu-ray - 2011)
CDN$ 283.42