5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie
I am a little surprised that so many other people failed to see the merits of this movie. First, this was not a typical predictable Hollywood movie with a predictable ending. Second, it was not a re-hash of some old story line with the same old actors. It is a very well written comedic coming of age movie. Few movies take the time or effort to develop complex, flawed and...
Published on April 30 2004 by James R. Mckinley

3.0 out of 5 stars Cliches beneath the quirks
If Robert Downey Jr. and Groucho Marx were to have an intimate moment and spawn a child, that child would be Jason Schwartzman...or if Dustin Hoffman had a sense of humour and were a few inches taller (Jason's 5'3"). He's genuinely funny, as is Bill Murray, and they both have that underlying sadness (and I don't mean to imply a drug problem) that renders their...
Published on Aug. 25 2001 by Robert Bezimienny

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring boring boring, Aug. 7 2003
I bought this dvd and I still feel sorry for that.
No humour at all. Can't understand that people like this film.
Didn't laugh once. A comedy? Not for me. Was happy when the film was over, yes I watched the entire film, hoping it would improve. But it didn't. Waste of time.

3.0 out of 5 stars My review of rushmore, April 27 2004
Lucy W (Cheltenham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
Max is a dedicated student, putting effort into all after school activies. However his world is turned upside down by the arrival of a new female teacher. In which he and his new friend (bill murray) both fall for and compete for her affection.
I think the main theme to this movie is obsession, as max moves from one to another. The other theme could be commitment, because it shows the amount of effort max puts in to everything he does and tries to see it to the end.
I think it was acted out well, in showing the tourment each character was put through. I believe the soundtrack helped to movie progress, helping to emphase the mood within the scene.
I think it was a typically enjoyable movie in which has an originality to it, yet the story of trying to win over love has been done before. The style was very different, although it ran smoothly, it wasnt predicable as you weren't quite sure how it would end. I think the film was a success, would deffinatley recommend it to others to watch. The only thing I wished to see more of was the vengeful competition between max and his friend.

1.0 out of 5 stars Better than any sleeping pill!, Aug. 1 2002
By A Customer
I read the reviews of this movie and heard it was good and I loved the Royal Tenebaums so I rented it. The movie had no momentum to it; it was just boring all the way though. I don't recommend watching movie unless you want to fall asleep!

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, May 28 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
I never truly understood the point of the whole film, but it was different. I'll give props to the kid in movie who tried so hard to make something great out of something ordinary. His infatuation with his school teacher is silly, funny yet heroic. Because the kid just never gives in.
Bill Murray is great with playing the bored Patron to the school who grows a liking to the kid. The whatever, I could care less attitude about him is very well played.
I like the small nonchalant, yet out of the ordinary point in the movie that happen in mid conversation that adds to the comic nature of the film. When the kid asks for an explanation and is quite furious, he's smoking in a Murray's car and deflt flicks some ash on the seat. In another scene, Murray is smoking two cigarettes at once.
A different film. Likable, but not one I could watch over and over again. Once is enough. I like movies with a little more visual appeal. Worth the peak.

1.0 out of 5 stars terrible, terrible film, Feb. 10 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
what a pitifully bad flick. jason schwartzman's career started and ended here. pass on this bomb.

1.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, wake me when its over, Feb. 12 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
Well what can I say, the critics loved it, 5 star reviewers here all sing its praises. Subtle dark humour, character based humour, intellectual humour. Oooh its so clever.....
Whichever way you want to critique it - the comedy is NOT FUNNY AT ALL. And it is boring as well. If it wants to be a story driven vehicle fine, but lets not pretend it succeeds in being funny in any way. Its overlong, convoluted and dull dull dull.
Im sure the "intellectuals" will say I'm not clever enough to understand its nuances. Trust me, I know where this movie is coming from and that is "up its own backside-ville".
Critics loved it.....that should tell you everything you need to know about this anally retentive exercise. (And this should also warn you about The Royal Tenenbaums....ooh admire the acting, its got Gene Hackman in....but it is also dull and unfunny).

5.0 out of 5 stars This is like my favorite movie, April 10 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
I love this movie and if it were a person I would marry that person because I would love tha tperson equally to how much I love this movie which would be a lot which would explain the reason why I would want to marrry the person that I loved as much as I loved this movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rushmore = 0, March 8 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
To the person who said it was the best film of all time (whaaat!) and the person below who said we all need "smarts" to enjoy it, (I think you meant "laughs" it is meant to be a comedy after all). I suggest you get out more...no offence!
This film stinks. Rent it if you want, but when you are near the end and wishing that the remote was a gun so you could put it to your head, don't say I didnt warn you!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars requires a certain type of humor to appreciate it, June 15 2004
This review is from: Rushmore (DVD)
The owner of the video store warned us about this movie - it only appeals to a certain segment of the population, he told us. He was right. Among the audience I watched it with, half loved it and half hated it. I didn't appreciate the movie's humor because I thought it failed to develop a minimal level of empathy for the characters. As a result, I couldn't convince myself to care much as they moved from debacle to debacle. Not very entertaining in my opinion, but it seems to appeal to some, especially those that sympathize with oddball characters.

Rushmore (Criterion) (Blu-Ray)
Rushmore (Criterion) (Blu-Ray) by Wes Anderson (Blu-ray - 2011)
CDN$ 42.99 CDN$ 32.99