5.0 out of 5 stars Breezy
Published on July 6 2005 by William Mack

2.0 out of 5 stars An edition which is a dissapointment of a lifetime!
This edition of the movie is very disappointing to me. I received it as a Christmas present and have I been aware of its poor contents, I would have never wanted it. I have nothing against the movie itself, because it is a classic film which I like very much. My dissatisfaction deals with this edition.
First of all, it shows on the box everything that it contains,...
Published on Jan. 5 2004

5.0 out of 5 stars Breezy, July 6 2005
There are so few books, movies, and products that just really light a fire under my, well, you know where region. The movie COLD MOUNTAIN was one such thing. The novel THE BARK OF THE DOGWOOD was another such item. And of course, the ubiquitous and compelling classic that we all know------GONE WITH THE WIND. The first time I've seen this movie, I was fourteen years old. At that age, not many teenagers would even bother watching a classic or even adore it. It is a beautiful love story and not only that, "Gone With The Wind" shows how the civil war affected the people of the South. How the grace and beauty of the south changed dramatically. And what's great, Scarlett is the star. A head-strong woman who made it through the war with very much emotional stars but survived and beat the odds. Scarlett is a take-charge woman and doesn't let anything or anyone stand in her way. Unfortunately with that personality you have few friends and your loved ones sometimes loses their patience. LOVE AND STRUGGLE is the basis of this movie. EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars An edition which is a dissapointment of a lifetime!, Jan. 5 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone With the Wind [Import] (DVD)
First of all, it shows on the box everything that it contains, but when you open it, the material is not the quality that you expected it to be. The eight limited edition lobby card prints are in strange colours including dark pink and blue and do not in any way resemble the naturally colourful prints of the lobby cards shown on the box itself. For example, a lobby card entitled ''Scarlett O'Hara enlists the aid of Hattie McDaniel as she prepares to meet Rhett Butler.'' On this card Hattie McDaniel has a dark pink turban on her head, and all the colors are off and most of all, this lobby card was not even supposed to be in this box at all, because it is not one of the eight shown on the box flyer. This applies to all the lobby cards in this set on which all colours are very weird, and the cards do not resemble in any way the ones shown on the box flyer. This false advertising, also applies to the DVD itself, because on the paper flyer displaying the contents, the DVD cover appears to be plastic not paper like it is in reality, once you open the box. There are also six b&w photos of which three are not as sharp as the other three. Perhaps this is due to the fact that they could have used original film negatives to reproduce the last three pictures, but why enhance the quality of the first three and not the rest?
The DVD, aside from the fact that you have to flip it over to see the rest of the movie, has no sticker on the CD, which would make it nicer if there was and it is somewhat difficult to tell which side is A and which B, because the letters that label the sides are small. Furthermore, the DVD comes in a paper cover, which means that you can this exact DVD separately, without any extra things, and is available in this paper edition in most stores. I admit that the lack of special features was surprising as well, the only thing included is a movie trailer, wow, why bother listing any special features then?
The movie poster is good, except, for those of us who were hoping to hang it on a wall. There is a problem, because it is folded, and there is no way of getting rid of those folding lines, even if you tried straightening it out. Finally, the only piece of this package that is relatively satisfactory is the senitype image from the movie.
In conclusion, if this edition cost less money and you received what is in this box, knowingly, meaning the lobby cards would appear on the cover of the box, in its weird colours, exactly what they look like once you open the box, there would be no need to complain, because you would get what you are shown and hopefully for the right amount of money too. Of course for the price that they want for it, if the contents were as they should be in proper colors and some additional changes were made, it would be a good buy. You can buy all those things for the same price separately and probably get a better selection of photos too, so this edition is not worth it. Trust me, wait until the studio re-releases this movie again in a better edition and one worthy of this classic film.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst item that I got here in Amazon, April 1 2014
As a regular Amazon customer, I was quite disappointed of the quality of the product that I bought. I waited for so long to buy this special edition that I was shocked to find out that the package was damage, the red velvet box was damage in three corners. The book that comes inside its torn, it almost impossible to open it without damaging more. The piece with the blu ray and DVD, when I open it the plastic that hold them just fell from the cardboard,

I never had this quality before, and I got many special edition before, but even when some of them had some damage in their package, never as horrible as this one.

definitely it will affect my decision in spending money in expensive special blu ray or DVD edition again with Amazon if they can not guarantee the quality of the product.

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 star Movie with 1 star DVD, April 25 2004
Love the movie, hated the special features. For a great movie and all you would think Warner Brothers could afford to throw in another disk, BUT NO! They had to be ignorant and make one bad package. But then again the DVD is only $14.95. But I would rather throw in $5 or $10 for some half good features.
I will finish my thoughts by saying this: Don't I don't like the movie because frankly I love it. It's the special features that ruin the disc. Still, my final review for the film is 5 stars and my final review for the features is 1 star. But altogether I give it 4 stars because we still buy movies for the film and not the features anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars gorgeous blu-ray fabulous package, Oct. 26 2010
Cheryl - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
While not always a devoted fan, I could appreciate the film-making achievement and historical significance of Gone With the Wind. But now I have a whole new admiration for the classic epic given the astounding blu-ray picture quality. This 70th anniversary blu-ray package is highly recommended for fans and collectors, as it contains in the numbered red velvet box, reproductions of correspondence, art prints and the program, along with a commemorative hardcover picture book (52pg.), and soundtrack cd sampler (approx. 34 min.). The highlight of course is the 3 disc box set which contains a mammoth amount of programming, including the blu-ray feature (disc 1 - with commentary by Rudy Behlmer), the 6-hr MGM: When the Lion Roars documentary (disc 3 - dble sided dvd), and the related bonus features on disc 2 (which is a blu-ray for storage purposes only - the approx. 8 hrs. of extras have not been re-mastered to hi-def quality). Though some doc's and making-of's are on previous releases (i.e. Gable and Leigh bios, Havilland reminisces etc.), the "new" programming to this set include the Legend Lives On (featurette), The Scarlet O'Hara War (telefilm), and 1939: Hollywood's Greatest Year (a 1 hr. doc that I'd hoped would have spanned 3). This package is highly recommended for fans and film-buffs, and the film itself to those who think they've already seen it. (Reminder - the film is presented in its original frame size (ratio aspect), meaning there will be black bars on the sides of wide screens - and as a note, the audio is fine). Gone With the Wind is well worth experiencing on blu-ray.

3.0 out of 5 stars A disappointing box set, Feb. 17 2004
This review is from: Gone With the Wind [Import] (DVD)
Please note that my disappointment was in no way with "Gone With the Wind" itself, which is, as we all know, is one of the greatest movies of all time. I couldn't say anything about this wonderful film that hasn't been said already. This big, lush, box set, however, left a lot to be desired.
Let's start with the 8 original limited edition lobby card prints. They're obviously colorized, and hideously so. Mammy in a neon pink headdress? The same neon pink as the stripes on the soldier's pants at the charity bazaar? I don't think so. And excuse me, the dress Scarlett wore when she fled from Atlanta and for some time after that was lavendar, not French's mustard yellow. Nor is anyone's skin that "flesh" color, ever.
Moving on to the 6 original black and white photograph cards (and why would you print black and white photos of a beautiful color movie like this, anyway?)...I could have done a better job on my home computer, with screen captures. The pictures, which include Rhett at the bottom of the stairs seeing Scarlett for the first time, are very blurry. Even the close up of Rhett and Scarlett about to kiss (after Frank Kennedy's funeral) isn't clear.
The 35 mm film frame I received was of Rhett bidding Scarlett farewell on the road to Tara; the accompanying art graphic is very dark and muddy. I have to hold the film cell up to bright light to even see it, so forget about framing it.
The 27x40 movie poster was very nice, and I'll end up getting a frame to display it.
The DVD lists its "special features" as interactive menus and scene access; isn't that pretty much standard by now? The extras consist of a trivia game (you don't guess the answers, they'll give them to you on the next screen) and the movie trailer. That's it. One of the greatest films of all time, and that's the best you can do? What about the excellent documentary "The Making of a Legend: Gone With the Wind"? I have that on VHS and it's wonderful. That could have been added to make a two disc set.
I'd wanted "GWTW" on DVD for a long time, and instead of buying the much less expensive DVD (where I could have had a choice of standard or widescreen versions), I had to hold out for the big box set. I wonder now why I bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE EPIC OF ALL EPICS, June 13 2004
adriana "alisa" (Los Angeles,CA,USA) - See all my reviews
Gone With The Wind is one of my favorite films OF ALL TIME. No matter how many times I watch it, I find myself engulfed,overwhelmed,moved to tears, chilled to the bone, and amazed at the pure marvelousness of the entire thing.EVERY FREAKING TIME.
The acting is BRILLIANT from absolutely everyone.That's right, not a single performance is anything less than awe-inspiring.From Vivian Leigh as fearless and strong-willed Southern belle Scarlett O'Hara, to Clark Gable(WHY DIDN'T HE WIN THE OSCAR???????!!!?????) as the ultimate "non-gentleman" Rhett Butler, to Leslie Howard as the gentle,but slightly weak-minded Ashley Wilkes, to Olivia De Havilland as the deeply humane, and physically weak Melanie Hamilton.And, who could forget Hattie McDaniel as the feisty Mammie?THIS IS SIMPLY ONE OF THE BEST CASTS OF ALL TIME, OR DAY I SAY THE BEST????Every performance, is, I repeat, a testament to the power of acting.
The dialogue is so damn good every time-and every scene stands out in my mind as a piece of cinematic history.And to those idiots who think that Scarlett O'Hara was a "bad,selfish" person, I could just spit on you.Here is a woman who had enough spirit and bravery to go against a society of pampered Southerners, a woman who fought with her sweat and blood to keep her family's plantation, a woman who rose after every war, ever obstacle, a woman who waded through burning cannons with a pregnant woman and a baby on her own-and you call her a bad person? Maybe she was selfish, but perhaps it was this selfishness that let her see that the important things in life weren't a good repuatation, or nice hands, but honor, and family, and the well-being of loved ones. She might have acted like a spoiled brat, but her fearless actions contradicted whatever egotism she may've shown through her words.
I don't care who you are, where you're from, if your favorite movie is the matrix, I DONT CARE, this is a film that, if there ever was one, can be loved by ever single living and breathing soul.In this three hours lies a treat drenched in truth about the (corny as this may sound, its true!) endurance of the human spirit, the ties which bind human beings,and simply life-what it can bring, what it can take away, and what it can retain.Watch this absolutely timeless masterwork and relish in the power of the incredible acting, the brilliance of the dialogue,each and every scene which results in a film which is by turns witty, smart,weary, romantic, tragic,epic-ally moving and spine chilling.Brilliant beyond all words-and an asbolute masterwork which has already gone down, and will continue being known as one of the cinema's greatest pieces of art.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's always time for Gone With The Wind..., Oct. 9 2014
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Review:
What's not to like about this classic? Most if not all drama/period love story owes a debt to this incredible effort. Back in those days, color films were rare and so this was a great feat that was surmounted. The acting is superb (for the time, of course), the set design is impeccable (even to this day), the photography is breathtaking (most of the time) and there is a true sincerity that seems attached with the project and the overall feeling. Gone With The Wind. There really isn't much to say that hasn't already been said over the years, save for one's own appreciation. And my appreciation is this: it was time for me to plunge into this classic and I didn't regret the time (and money) invested into it.

Film:
Adapted from Margaret Mitchell's Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, this dazzling epic stars Vivien Leigh as the tempestuous Scarlett O'Hara and Clark Gable as the dashing Rhett Butler. Forever linked by passion and separated by pride and self-delusion, these unforgettable screen lovers bring Mitchell's immortal saga vividly to life, set against the stunning backdrop of a time and place forever "Gone With the Wind". (taken from Blu-ray.com)

Audio:
Original mono track, TrueHD mix, you have a good choice to pick from and all sound wonderful. The HD mix does sound a bit more recent and the mono track delivers perfectly with a sweet touch of oldie (like watching TV at your grandmother's place).

Video:
This catalog title has been taken VERY seriously. The restauration here is quite an improvement over any previous efforts to date. It's rich, complex, detailed and leaves VERY few to desire. It is one marvellous transfer that remains, in my mind, as one of the better transfers Blu-ray has to offer.

Extras:
Oh boy. They really opened the barn on this one... Documentaries, featurettes, interviews, retrospectives, tests, commentaries, you name it, this boxed set has it in aces. There's hardly any complain on my part since Warner did such a wonderful job at putting together a most wonderful set of extras that will use many hours of your time to go through. There's even a fourth disc which comprises of Max Steiner's most memorable music cues.

Update: There is a 75th anniversary edition that continues the more recent Warner "anniversary" boxes with a few good paper material such as a book and a few more featurettes, but it is comprised of almost 90% of the same supplemental package.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great film; mediocre package, Jan. 21 2013
This review is from: Gone with the Wind (Limited Edition SteelBook) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Gone with the Wind looks great in Blu-Ray. The visual power of the film comes through in a way no previous home video release could match. Sherman's march through Atlanta has never looked more terrible. The Tara that was never looked so opulant, and its destruction has never been so dramatic. The film is a revelation in high definition.

Unfortunately, that's not the only revelation when opening this package. The Amazon catalogue description lists a whole range of enticing bonus features which are not actually part of this package. This steelbook edition is the feature film, and a companion lecture by Rudy Behlmer about the film and the people who made it. It's a lecture filled with interesting information, but perhaps half of his commentary is biographical information about David O. Selznick and Vivian Leigh and Victory Jory and Leslie Howard and other members of the creative team that made this artistic achievement.

This edition is for those who would be quite content to watch the film on Netflix or iTunes, if only they offered a true high definition picture. If that would satisfy you, then this edition will satisfy you. But if, like me, you look forward to things like "8 hours of revealing extras about this timeless classic including more than 3 hours new to the collection," this edition will be a little shallow. The Scarlett edition is probably the one you want to hold out for.

I did purchase this from Amazon, but with a little regret returned it when I found the advertised bonus features were not included. Great film, but a sadly lacking Blu-ray package.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why no "Special Edition"?, Aug. 8 2003
S. Young (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
GWTW is my absolute, all-time favorite movie. I've seen it so many times I've lost count (and many of those were at movie theaters.) I've wanted to own this DVD since the first day I got a DVD player. I absolutely refuse, however, to buy this stripped down edition. One of the most celebrated movies of all-time and there are no "special features" or "extras" on the DVD? Surely I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Gone with the Wind (Limited Edition SteelBook) [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
CDN$ 22.99 CDN$ 17.93