5.0 out of 5 stars The Shat's in fine form!
Heard the "Space Truckin" cover and had to own this. Many amazing covers on this two disk set. It is a bit self indulgent, but that's what he's known for.
Published 10 months ago by Roxanne Byman

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment
Published on Nov. 21 2011 by Cheryl Critchlow

5.0 out of 5 stars The Shat's in fine form!, June 21 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Concept Album!, Oct. 27 2011
Andrew Salmon (Vancouver, British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Seeking Major Tom (Audio CD)
Anyone considering buying this latest offering from William Shatner should realize that his "singing" is an acquired taste. Hunt up some samples or listen to a few tracks online to see if this is for you. That said, if you "get" what Shatner and company are up to here, then you are in for a real treat!

Seeking Major Tom is not as good as Has Been. I want to make that clear right off. Has Been is a classic album, one of the best I've ever heard (check out my review if you don't believe me), containing a cover or two but mostly original, thought-provoking, enjoyable material you won't soon forget.

Seeking Major Tom is a collection of covers -- brilliant, inspired covers, but covers nonetheless. As much as I enjoyed the double set, this fact did cost the album a star in my rating. Case in point, I find the lone original song, Struggle, to be the best of the 20 offerings here.

The album is no slouch though. Boasting an array of high-calibre talent, including Sheryl Crow, Ritchie Blackmore, Lyle Lovett, Peter Frampton, Steve Miller, Ernie Watts, Dave Davies and others, there is a wealth of musical talent.

The concept is simple: songs about Major Tom or exploring what he may have gone through while lost in space and the album is a feast for the ears when listened to in its entirety. This is due to the eclectic array of songs from Space Oddity (of course) to Space Truckin' (a standout), Shatner's immortal Rocket Man (subdued here but still captivating),She Blinded Me With Science (a hoot), Walkin' On The Moon, Spirit In The Sky (another standout), Lost In The Stars (excellent), Mr. Spaceman (Cash-like), Twilight Zone (you just know Shatner's winking at you with this one), Iron Man (Heavy Metal Shatner? Why not!)and Bohemian Rhapsody here is one for the ages. Sheryl Crow's Mrs. Major Tom has to be heard to be believed, it's that good! These and others, put together with the unforgettable Struggle mentioned above and the folks behind Seeking Major Tom have created a very, very good album.

So, if you get what Shatner does, this album will not disappoint. It may lack the brilliance of Has Been but it is still better than a lot of what is being released these days. I enjoyed it a lot and I hope Mr. Shatner will provide us with more of these while he's still alive and rocking. Bravo!

5.0 out of 5 stars Shatner pulled it off!, Nov. 23 2011
Neil Daniel Beattie Jr. (Brampton, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seeking Major Tom (Audio CD)
This is my first William Shatner CD and I loved it. He ties all the songs together with small snippets of his theme song that has the most haunting background music and singers. I smiled everytime I realized what song he was singing(sorry,talking). The bad part is I liked it so much that I purchased his first CD. "The Transformed Man" was a big letdown. Anyone who finds William Shatner funny will enjoy "Seeking Major Tom".

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, Nov. 21 2011
This review is from: Seeking Major Tom (Audio CD)
I begin by stating "I am a BIG fan of William Shatner". I continue by saying that his previous album ("Has Been") was a triumph - for him and the others involved in it, including the music, the lyrics and the delivery, ALL of which were original, surprising, touching and - just plain excellent. I conclude by admitting that I am actually hugely disappointed in his album "Seeking Major Tom", from all the aspects just mentioned. I sincerely regret that this is so.

ARRAY(0xb56f8be8)

Seeking Major Tom (Vinyl)
Seeking Major Tom (Vinyl) by William Shatner (LP Record - 2011)