4.0 out of 5 stars Looks, sounds and feels like the real thing
Like many of you, I first heard The Sheepdogs via the excellent single "I Don't Know", a rollicking journey through territory pioneered by The Guess Who and Neil Young. And what a cool Canadian success story, what with that Rolling Stone cover and all.

Published on Aug. 31 2011 by LeBrain

2.0 out of 5 stars Got "Burned" and "Learned" with this one
Published 14 days ago by Doug Keon

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks, sounds and feels like the real thing, Aug. 31 2011
LeBrain - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Audio CD)

I bought the album based on that one song, and I'm glad that I did. It's a really cool mellow rock album. It sounds as if it came right out of 1969. It sounds (and looks, check out those beards) very authentic to the period. I am impressed. I really like it.

Highlights for me include:
"Please Don't Lead Me On", much in the same vein as the single, but with piano too
"I Don't Get By" which has a very country (or even Led Zep III) vibe
"Sounthern Dreaming" which reminds me of the Allmans, CCR and The Band all at once
"Soldier Boy" probably the most rocking song on the album
"Catfish 2 Boogaloo" kind of even reminds me of a simpler version of Cream at times
And, the whole medley. These four mini-songs all meld together seamlessly kind of like a really brief version of Abbey Road side two.

The only song I dislike is the title track "Learn and Burn". Not into the vocal hook at all.

Good album though, and I want to find out more about this band.

4 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing change, July 11 2011
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Audio CD)
The Sheepdogs are a combination of Burton Cummings, Steve Miller Band, a bit of CCR and a dash of Almond Brothers. Every track brings back good old rock music memories. This is, by far, the best new artist that I have heard in the past decade.

2.0 out of 5 stars Got "Burned" and "Learned" with this one, Oct. 5 2014
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I bought this CD, and their self-titled "The Sheepdogs" CD after hearing them perform "I Don't Know" from this CD on a Grey Cup half-time show, because: they're Canadian, and they sounded like they have a sound similar to BTO/CCR. But after hearing the whole CD, the rest of the songs don't live up, except for a terrific instrumental called, "Slim Pickens". It is by far the best song on an otherwise mostly mediocre CD. "I Don't Know" is a good song with a BTO sound, as is Rollo Tomasi, and Slim Pickens sounds like classic CCR. But that's pretty well it.

4.0 out of 5 stars fresh new old sound, July 26 2013
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
awesome vocals and lyrics, has kind of a seventies sound alot of toe tapping music from heavy metal to blue grass

5.0 out of 5 stars play & love, June 22 2013
This review is from: Learn & Burn [Vinyl] (LP Record)
what a great record! I am extremely happy with this purchase, like buying a record from the old days. It plays so well, the music is fantastic and brings back the feeling of the early 70's in a way I don't think any band from this generation could possibly do. The record itself plays as smooth as a whistle, although far greater sounding than any whistle I'll ever hear

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Canadian band and awesome cd!, April 4 2013
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I recommend this cd to anyone who likes the sound of classic rock with a fresh twist! These guys are great and I look forward to seeing them live in Victoria, soon.

Awesome cd and a great price!

5.0 out of 5 stars More great music, Jan. 19 2013
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
A renascence to the much loved sound of the 60's + 70's. Good grove, touch of psychedelia-a very familiar sound.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, expect greater things from this group in the future., Dec 27 2012
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
I purchaced this CD before seeing them live here in Moncton New Brunswick. I bought the vinyl copy of this at the concert. I like the album and really enjoyed the live show. They closed their live show by doing a cover of "The Weight" by The Band, (Take a load of Annie) in memory of Levon Helm who passed away earlier this year, the room went wild. Buy this album, see them live.

4.0 out of 5 stars Old Bands Live on, Dec 17 2012
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
This was my first listen to The Sheepdogs and I was blown away at the the old band influences. You can definitely pick out the Led Zepplin, Iron Butterfly etc. inspired tunes yet these gents have made each song uniquely their own. A good album for us oldies that will instantly pick out sounds that remind us of Steppenwolf and the likes

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't turn it off, Feb. 7 2012
This review is from: Learn & Burn (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
Literally cannot take this out of the player. It just cycles through all of the songs and they are all great. If you hear one that you like, you will love the whole album.

Learn & Burn (Deluxe)
Learn & Burn (Deluxe) by the Sheepdogs (Audio CD - 2011)