Auto Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools boutiques-francophones Kitchen

Format: Audio CDChange

Like many of you, I first heard The Sheepdogs via the excellent single "I Don't Know", a rollicking journey through territory pioneered by The Guess Who and Neil Young. And what a cool Canadian success story, what with that Rolling Stone cover and all.

I bought the album based on that one song, and I'm glad that I did. It's a really cool mellow rock album. It sounds as if it came right out of 1969. It sounds (and looks, check out those beards) very authentic to the period. I am impressed. I really like it.

Highlights for me include:
"Please Don't Lead Me On", much in the same vein as the single, but with piano too
"I Don't Get By" which has a very country (or even Led Zep III) vibe
"Sounthern Dreaming" which reminds me of the Allmans, CCR and The Band all at once
"Soldier Boy" probably the most rocking song on the album
"Catfish 2 Boogaloo" kind of even reminds me of a simpler version of Cream at times
And, the whole medley. These four mini-songs all meld together seamlessly kind of like a really brief version of Abbey Road side two.

The only song I dislike is the title track "Learn and Burn". Not into the vocal hook at all.

Good album though, and I want to find out more about this band.

4 stars.
on September 2, 2011
Not so keen about techno & rap? Long for the days when rock
had some soul rather than sounding like every group who's
music seems to come out the same old cookie cutter can?
Want some good rock like what might have been around in
the late 60's and early '70 (read: heart felt, good rockin')?
Then I have two words: The Sheepdogs.

It suddenly hit me one morning while listening to Learn And
Burn -- this reminds me of The Guess Who ! And I loved
The Guess who!

But make no mistake, the Sheepdogs are at the same time
uniquely themselves. So this is certainly an album for
those of us who grew up in the '70's, but also an album
that fills a vacuum so much needed today ... real musicians,
good musician, and a group of guys who have the soul of rock
within them.

Truly, Learn And Burn amongst today music is like a
breath of fresh air with all the comfort that reminds
us of what seemed a more classic time in rock history.

on July 11, 2011
The Sheepdogs are a combination of Burton Cummings, Steve Miller Band, a bit of CCR and a dash of Almond Brothers. Every track brings back good old rock music memories. This is, by far, the best new artist that I have heard in the past decade.
on December 27, 2012
I purchaced this CD before seeing them live here in Moncton New Brunswick. I bought the vinyl copy of this at the concert. I like the album and really enjoyed the live show. They closed their live show by doing a cover of "The Weight" by The Band, (Take a load of Annie) in memory of Levon Helm who passed away earlier this year, the room went wild. Buy this album, see them live.
on June 22, 2013
what a great record! I am extremely happy with this purchase, like buying a record from the old days. It plays so well, the music is fantastic and brings back the feeling of the early 70's in a way I don't think any band from this generation could possibly do. The record itself plays as smooth as a whistle, although far greater sounding than any whistle I'll ever hear
on December 17, 2012
This was my first listen to The Sheepdogs and I was blown away at the the old band influences. You can definitely pick out the Led Zepplin, Iron Butterfly etc. inspired tunes yet these gents have made each song uniquely their own. A good album for us oldies that will instantly pick out sounds that remind us of Steppenwolf and the likes
on November 22, 2011
Learn & Burn is a classic album that could only be compared to other classics like the Hip - Up To Here; Led Zeppelin II; Fleetwood Mac - Rumours; the Guess Who - American Woman. That probably hasn't phased the guys in the band yet, but it's the reality! Congratulations on their west coast award! Hope there's more to come!
on April 4, 2013
I recommend this cd to anyone who likes the sound of classic rock with a fresh twist! These guys are great and I look forward to seeing them live in Victoria, soon.

Awesome cd and a great price!
on February 7, 2012
Literally cannot take this out of the player. It just cycles through all of the songs and they are all great. If you hear one that you like, you will love the whole album.
on July 26, 2013
awesome vocals and lyrics, has kind of a seventies sound alot of toe tapping music from heavy metal to blue grass