5.0 out of 5 stars I'M COMING HOME

Published 12 months ago by Elaine Franco

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I'M COMING HOME, July 6 2015
THE MOVIE GUY "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Water For Elephants (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
The heart warming tale opens with an old cagy Hal Holbrook wanting to see the circus. He is befriended by the current staff and tells them his story. As a young man during the depression, Robert Patterson hits the road due to tragedy and inadvertently joins the circus. He has veterinary skills and an eye for Reese Witherspoon who is married to circus boss Christopher Waltz. She is the bareback rider and is pictured on the DVD in the arms of Patterson. Not hard to figure out where this is going. From the beginning dialouge we know there will be a tragedy and Robert Patterson will survive and mature into an actor as fine as Hal Holbrook.

Heart throb Robert Patterson is a slightly better caliber actor in this one than what we have seen in "Twilight." The movie is more than a love story, it is also a PETA commercial for the abuse of circus animals in the name of the almighty dollar. Christopher Waltz plays an excellent jealous insecure "bad guy." Reese Witherspoon was not the perky blond we are used to seeing. She appears to be miscast in the role and doesn't look natural with the 30's hair style. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't bad, they just didn't write lines for her. 5 stars for those who enjoy an old fashion forbidden romance with an elephant.

No f-bombs. Violence to animals and women, quick love scene, brief 30's style French postcard type nudity, Robert Patterson's acting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story, May 2 2014
I watched this for the first time with my mother. I always enjoy Reese Witherspoon, and she played her part well. The circus scenes were a joy to watch and the love story that unfolded was enjoyable. All-in-all a good movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, May 23 2014
Kindle Customer (Winnipeg, MB, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Water for Elephants (DVD)
I loved this movie. It kept pretty much to the book which was good. If one is looking for a period movie in the 20/30's this is the one. I wanted it to be longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Water for Elephants shouldn't be ignored, Dec 13 2011
I must start my review by stating that I read the book, Water for Elephants, first. More often than not, the book version turns out to be a much better version of the story than the hollywood version. Not to knock hollywood, they have less time than a book to cover all the details as well it is no easy task to portray human emotions without the words that books can use to describe them. I must say I was pleasantly surprised by what this movie had to offer. I laughed, I cried, I screamed.... it was a roller coaster of emotion. Reese Witherspoon is superb as the main attraction in this travelling circus. I won't say much more because I don't want to give up too much of the story. Robert Pattison shows he is more than a tween idol from his Twilight saga movies and also shows what a capable actor he had become. I highly recommend this movie for everyone. I must add as a side note, my husband loved this movie as much as I did. ( Usually he is more into the horror genre and would have written this movie off as a chick flick.) So ladies, this does appeal to men too. Get your hubby/ boyfriend to try it out....I bet they'll like it as much as I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars As wonderful as the book, April 3 2014
If you read the novel and loved it, you'll love the movie, too. Both are well worth investing some time to enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cinematography, blue ray version looks amazing., Feb. 22 2014
Chose 4 stars not five due to the misorder of the movie compared to the book It still followed the same general story line. It was a good movie, not a great movie. I would recommend it as a good Saturday night movie with a bowl of popcorn.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite as good as the book, Jan. 1 2014
I read the novel first, which is not always a good idea. In my opinion, the novel is better than the movie, although I did enjoy the movie, enough to want to own a copy of the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story about elephants and humans, Dec 9 2013
terrific story about life in the 1930 - the heart-warming story of a wonderful elephant and its love of people.

4.0 out of 5 stars Water for Elephants, Nov. 28 2013
It was nice to see these two actors together; Reese Witherspoon and Robert Pattinson. The story was very interesting and I enjoyed it. The seller got the movie to me on time so that was good.

5.0 out of 5 stars water for elephants, Nov. 23 2013
nature girl (British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
I had previously read the book and wanted to have the DVD because it is quite intense and you need time to absorb all what is in the story........certainly well worth the buy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Water For Elephants (Blu-ray + Digital Copy) (Bilingual)
CDN$ 19.19