5.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, crass and at times gutt bustingly funny
Published 15 months ago by Michael

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I'm not sure what to blame for the lowering standard on what passes for comedy nowadays, but this show certainly follows the trend. Contrary to the reviews I had the misfortune of trusting, this show is not a witty modern send-up of 60s spy camp; it's just crude gradeschool humour, with no effort made to be clever, ever.

And the animation sucks.
Published 16 months ago by Lobophile

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, crass and at times gutt bustingly funny, Jan. 8 2013
Michael (Toronto) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Were I devoutly religious in any way, I might find myself feeling guilty for loving this so much. Jokes about call-girls (hookers if they're dead), sex and more sex, brutal violence, equal opportunity racism all come at you fast and furious, usually via the narcissistic main character Archer. It makes me think of what the creators of South Park might do were they to re-imagine Get Smart. From timing, to the perfectly cast voice actors to the writing, it takes a lot of talent to make something so utterly reprehensible so much fun to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the funniest shows ever,animated or otherwise, Jan. 6 2013
This review is from: Archer: The Complete Season One [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Everything about this show,from the voices to Archer's one liners just works.Quite a bit of adult content ,so don't let the kiddies watch.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better each season, July 8 2013
This show is hilarious, and I recommend it to anyone who enjoys comedies with adult jokes. Happy to own all seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT!, Feb. 16 2013
Theo (Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
You know, I don't normally put my review titles in all caps. But what can I say? This show is... well, BRILLIANT! I've always thought that there are far, far too many five star reviews here on amazon. But if there ever was a show that genuinely deserved a rave, this is it.

Archer is a wonderfully absurdist frolic for strictly adult audiences. Fundamentally this show is a giant spoof of 1960s spy thrillers; a spoof made for decidedly 21st century sensibilities. It's the show Get Smart would have been had all the characters been perpetually high on crystal meth.

In fact, the characters on Archer are all selfish, petty, and utterly and completely venal: the three great ingredients from which comedy is made. They seem to think and act more like deranged adolescents than grown-ups. Deranged adolescents with access to firearms. Add all this together and you get some idea of the flavor of the show. Archer is very much in the spirit of the original Williams Street adult swim cartoons, but is never merely derivative of them. Which of course is exactly what you'd expect, given that this show is produced by Adam Reed, whose previous producing and directing credits include both Sealab 2021 and Frisky Dingo. Indeed, Reed's voice credits go all the way back to the original Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

But while a similar sense of humor can be found throughout, Archer definitely has a flair all of its own. Visually it has kind of a pseudo-realist "ligne claire" (clear line) style that matches perfectly with the creatively anachronistic world the characters inhabit. Cell phones and other contemporary technologies may abound, but jet-age fashions still prevail, and the KGB and the Soviet Union remain major adversaries.

But the first thing long time hard core animation fans will notice is that voice of H. Jon Benjamin brings its own uniquely laconic comic genius to the title role of "Archer" himself. Many of us remember Benjamin best as Coach from Home Movies. Others may recognize his voice from various bit parts in Family Guy and the Venture Bros.. But wherever you know him from, I for one am overjoyed that a suitable vehicle has finally been found for this great talent.

Better yet, Benjamin is complemented by scarcely lesser talents such as Aisha Tyler, a standup comedian who plays Lana Kane, another top operative at the same spy agency; and Jessica Walter, who plays the head of the agency - who also just happens to be Archer's mother. However, I should stress that this rather unusual combination of relationships is never reduced to mere sit-com hijinx. Archer is the kind of show were things get genuinely disturbing. In fact, this is one of those rare shows where the entire cast is incredibly strong - and backed up by an equally strong writing team, too.

What more can I say? See it!

Theo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A for "Archer", June 16 2011
Zafri M. "Khaldun" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
At 9.99$ you'd be stupid not to buy the dvds. The first season, while short, has a great selection of episodes that are eminently rewatchable. I'd go on over and buy Community immediately afterwards, but this is a hilarious show. Good secondary characters, ridiculous plots, and Sterling "Duchess" Archer himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, Sept. 18 2011
Absolutely hilarious! One of the funniest new shows I have seen in a long time, right up there with the Venture Bros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where it all started, March 23 2014
RIP - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Archer: The Complete Season One [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Over the top characters and story lines here with a great deal of off beat humor and very adult humor as well. If you have seen this series it is a nice addition to one's collection for viewing at one's convenience, and best of all purchasing this at $20 is a great deal none the less. Highly recommend this to anyone who has enjoyed animated series like Tripping the Rift, Drawn Together and Boondocks. Adult themed animated series with raucous humor and stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best new show in a long time!, Jan. 29 2014
Daniel Fournier "daniel fournier" (Stettler alberta canada) - See all my reviews
This is pretty weird, my experience with this show, I remember all the talk on the cartoon channel about it before it started. I mean, they push it so much that they did turn me off and I had never watch this first season, and I started to give it a chance, as soon as I listen my first show, It was a selle for me right a way. I love this show so much, the best new in a long time. the mean reason why I like it so much is that every single person in the show is so original, Archer by far is not always the biggest star of let say one episode, they kind of all take a shot at it. My favorite one is Pam, I laug so out of control, I don't believe it, I don't laugh like this very often and I do love all kind of cartoons. I mean the show start right? and I wish it would be for hours, I am always crush when it end, because they end always with a bit of what is next, and you have to wait next week right? and it seem to me that it has been a long time that a cartoon went with this concept , almost like a soap. it is a fantastic show, I could say some of my favorite line or even the top line I like from Archer but I guess it has to be family for all ages kind of review so I can not say the line, but I laugh every time , it get me by surprise every time. Lana is also so good and the gay guy is just so great, or is it the relation ship between him and Archer, of course Archer is not gay so he is on his case right? in a funny way. I don't want to give away anything, check at time market place, I got my 2 first season for only ten dollars each, you can get real good deal, it is worth the wait. I hope you don't do like me and wait years to give it a chance, and no I don't have anything negative to say about it, I am a real maniac of this show.h

5.0 out of 5 stars Phrasing, Sept. 25 2013
Geordie A. "G.A." (Victoria, BC Canada) - See all my reviews
Two problems with this set.
1) The extras are ho-hum at best
2) There is just not enough episodes. Would it have killed them to make this a 52 episode season. Well it may have, but only then would this be enough Archer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for kids., July 18 2013
Archer is a gem. It is clever, it is well written, the main character is nothing short of awesome, the supporting characters are all likeable and allowed to develop nicely over the season that does not feature a weak episode. You will be hooked soon enough and purchase all the available seasons. And the show gets better as it ages.

But be aware that it is not for kids.

ARRAY(0xb3e60d80)