4.0 out of 5 stars One of the most intimate music docs I've ever seen.., Nov. 2 2011
RIGGER1 (CALGARY, ALBERTA.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (DVD)
Wow, what an awesome stroll down memory lane! This is not just a Pearl Jam movie, it's a music documentary! One does not have to be a huge PJ fan to appreciate the care and attention that was spent to put this together so thoughtfully. I was surprised how often I laughed throughout the film considering the subject matter, this is an absolute must have for PJ fans, grunge fans, or pretty much anyone who finds themselves "missing" real music! Remember those days? When bands played real instruments and rattled us with substance from awesome chord progression and actual heart felt lyrics? Just do yourself a favour, watch the film and you'll know what I mean, it will make you want to dust off that old plaid jacket and wish you'd never cut your hair! Enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Documentary but I would have liked the extras!!, Nov. 2 2011
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I saw Pearl Jam and Soundgarden open for Neil Young in 92 or 93 and then they slowly drifted off my radar. Then this last summer I got to see them both again. I saw pearl Jam at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto during the Toronto Film Festival where they premiered this film. The film is really good for someone like me just getting back into the band there was a lot I did not know or had forgotten so it was really interesting to watch. They had great interveiws with the band and Chris Cornelle from Soundgarden. It starts of with some great video of Mother Love bone which I had never scene before. It also had some Temple Of The Dog live video. Lots of great clips of Pearl Jam live (since they have so much live film and video I really hope they make a set like kiss did where you get multiple shows in one package) and great interveiw clips from throughout their carreer. However I do feel Pearl Jam must of had final say on the film because certain things get mentioned in passing (like drug problems) and very little of the internal struggles are talked about or expanded on.
I don't know how great this film would be for die hards. If you know the Band's history there won't be much here. Although the Grammy segment is classic. My only major complaint is the lack of bonus materiel. If you bought this from their web site you got four hours of bonus material. I am getting tired of the practice where you have to by things from certain sites to get bonus material. I know you are saying "just go to their website". Well in this case they are sold out and sometime it's not the Band's web site you have to go to. With Yes's Union DVD/CD you had to go to the web site of the company making the package. I also feel it punishes people who get into the group later on. I also know in my case it has discouraged me from getting into a group that I can't get all the product I want from. I did eventually buy their CD's but this happened when I got back into Iron Maiden because I could no longer buy their cd's with the bonus b-sides disc's. It has also stopped me from picking up their other albums because of the CD reissues they have started and you get bonus stuff when ordered from their site.
So over all! Solid Doc.

5.0 out of 5 stars PJ20 = Epic!, Oct. 5 2013
Love this deluxe collection, I am glad I upgraded from the regular. So much extra footage and live performances. Here's to another 20 years Pearl Jam!

5.0 out of 5 stars it Pearl Jam of course it's great!, June 13 2013
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
watch it about every three months, never get tired of the story that is PJ.
it's PEarl Jam ... what else do you need to know.

5.0 out of 5 stars This a MUST for true Pearl Jam fans, May 3 2013
I don't care if you own every single Pearl Jam dvd of their concerts or the one with them in the recording studio...you have to buy this one on Blu-ray if you are a true fan. There's way more stuff to see on here then there was in Pearl Jam 20 the dvd.
Don't waste your time sitting here reading this get off your Butt now and get Pearl Jam 20 on Blu-ray Why? 3 discs instead of one.......that's all i have to say so get going and buy this set NOW! You can thank me later.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Documentary, Feb. 4 2013
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (DVD)
I saw this doc on TV before I bought it, and even before I had seen the whole thing I had added it to my Wish List.
I've watched it a few times since it arrived, and I'm never disappointed.
Each time you watch it you'll find something new and different. Each time you watch it it can have a different mood or feel to it.

Brilliant! Cameron Crowe is a genius at creating music-themed films.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOYFRIEND LOVED IT!!, Jan. 14 2013
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (Deluxe) (DVD)
Got if for my boyfriend who is a huge fan and he loves it was one of the many great Christmas gifts he got !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Documentary, Jan. 10 2013
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (DVD)
As a teenager, Pearl Jam's music spoke to my soul. I still regard Jeff Ament and Mike McReady as two of the world's greatest rock musicians, and Vedder's lyrics are beautiful, haunting, philosophical, authentic, and real. In a strange way, this documentary closed a chapter of my life. At the same time, it served as a catalyst that opened my eyes to the deeper reality of what the whole 'Seattle scene' was all about. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sound Garden, and many others were not just bands from a similar local who happened to all come into the public eye at the same time. They certainly didn't share a similar 'sound', although they were all friends, which separated them from other music scenes in America at the time. But the reason these bands became so popular (aside from just being really good musicians) was that they gave a very loud voice to a growing population across the world who had become sickened by the religious conservatism dominating the political landscape. They effectively (and one might say accidentally) tapped into a monstrously large, utterly disorganized, but highly emotional movement of young people. Pearl Jam especially has been an outspoken political critic, fighting for Aboriginal rights, gay and lesbian rights, and various other causes of social (and political) justice.

As for the documentary itself, I loved it! It was humerus, insightful, moving, surprising, and extremely well produced.
My only beef is that they didn't just release the deluxe version as the only version of the documentary. The difference between $19 and $24 is nada considering you get two more discs of material with the deluxe edition. It actually reminds me of the "Dissident" concert series fiasco back in 1994. Sony decided to release the show one disc at a time and only put 6 or 7 songs on each CD so they could milk the sales. That was lame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extensive set, Jan. 2 2013
Gis A. Bun (Montreal, Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The first Blu-ray set with 3 discs for a music release that I got [Second was Marillion's Holiday In Zealande on their private label]. You get the full length documentary and a few extras on the first disc. That duplicates the original release. You then get a second disc with the complete video of all the music on the first disc plus a few things removed from the original film. On the third disc, you get a bunch more extras including a statistician going through the music [how often played live], timeline, etc. [Luckily this disc has a "play all".] Last 2 discs were originally exclusive to Pearl Jam's private label.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great Doc on a cool band, Nov. 13 2012
This review is from: Pearl Jam Twenty (DVD)
I loved this doc must have watched it 4X's since I bought it!!! Love the early MotherLoveBone stuff. The concert footage performance is very cool... an all around great doc on Pearl Jam!!!

ARRAY(0xb4f0c510)

Pearl Jam Twenty [Blu-ray]
Pearl Jam Twenty [Blu-ray] by Pearl Jam (Blu-ray - 2011)
CDN$ 35.99 CDN$ 26.99