Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Countdown to Black Friday in Lawn & Garden

Format: DVDChange

Ever seen a horror movie with hillbillies in it? They're usually psychotic chainsaw-swinging inbred cannibal psychos who like to murder anyone who happens to drive by.

But don't expect any of THAT to actually appear in "Tucker & Dale Vs Evil," a clever black comedy that asks, "What if the HILLBILLIES were the innocent victims of the doomed college kids?" Tropes are inverted (or lampshaded), there's gore aplenty, and Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine make endearingly rough-hewn heroes.

West Virginia hillbillies Dale (Labine) and Tucker (Tudyk) have just bought a dilapidated little house out by a remote lake, and plan to spend some time fishing and drinking beer. They also end up rescuing Allison (Katrina Bowden), a college student who hit her head while swimming, and she soon finds that these seemingly terrifying hillbillies are actually kind, gentle and sometimes quite smart.

Unfortunately, Allison's friends get the wrong idea, and think that she's being held captive by a pair of chainsaw-swinging psychos. As they try to attack Dale and Tucker, they end up accidentally dying in bizarre and gory ways. As Dale, Tucker and Allison try to defuse the situation, they also have to deal with the increasingly bloodthirsty Chad (Jesse Moss).

I have no idea why it's taken so long for "Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" to make it onto DVD, because this movie is absolutely hilarious -- a gory, satirical little comedy that acknowledges every hillbilly-slasher cliche right before turning it on its ear. And yes, writer/director Eli Craig homages many a horror movie, from "Evil Dead" to "Friday the 13th."

And even though it's obviously a spoof, "Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" is actually very well-written -- clever foreshadowing, a shocking climactic twist, and all sorts of hilarious situations that make Dale and Tucker look... well, like psycho hillbillies. For instance: Tucker accidentally destroys a beehive, and ends up racing through the woods, screaming and waving his chainsaw spastically.

And yes, there are lots of OTHER hilarious moments, such as lampshading hillbilly stereotypes ("Oh, I love Earl Grey") and the college kids' gory deaths (impaling themselves on sticks or jumping into woodchippers).

And the acting is absolutely brilliant. Labine and Tudyk are amazing as the protagonists, respectively playing a sweet timid teddy bear and an outgoing good ol' boy. Yeah, don't judge these guys from their appearances, because you will be ALL WRONG. And the rest of the small cast also does an excellent job, especially given that most of them are shrieking horror movie cliches.

"Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil" is pretty clearly destined to be a cult classic, right alongside other fun spoofs like "Shaun of the Dead." Hilarious, bloody and clever.
on February 2, 2012
First off I'll give my rating (I do a four star) I'll giv'er 3/4 stars. This movie is funny! I got some good belly laughs, I was entertained, I will watch this movie again.
For orignality I'd say 3/4 as well. While the kills were funny, they were a bit predictable.
I like how this film was shot. I like how the actors protrayed their charachters especially Tucker & Dale. I love how they have no clue as to what is going on with the crazy college kids committing suicide around them. The paniced discussion inside the cabin as to what the "college kids" are doing was one of the funniest scenes.
As far as plot goes, there is a thin one but this movie doesn't really need a plot as much as the comedy kills combined with no one asking anyone the simple question "What's going on?" with the exception of Alison and the hillbillies!
I didn't go into this movie expecting much. I'm glad I was wrong!
Well worth a laugh! This is a light, fun, horror/comedy. Get your buddies, get some pizza and your favorite beverages, and have a good laugh.
on August 2, 2012
I'm not going to describe the plot other than it's a unique and hilarious twist on the "campy horror where teens go camping by a lake"

I bought this on a recommendation from a friend. For a relatively unknown and low budget film, it is really well written, acted and directed. Alan Tudyk and Tyler Labine have a great chemistry and their acting performances (along with everyone else) are excellent. The plot is pretty damn good and funny. The Blu Ray extras are decent, nothing spectacular except for the extra where they re-edit the film so it is told from the side of the teens which I really enjoyed.
on February 12, 2013
Tucker & Dale vs. Evil.

This film was not well known at the time I stumbled across it. I generally browse looking for movies with good reviews and when I came across this title, I was a bit skeptical. I thought, oh, another spoof. Then I satisfied my curiousity and watched the trailer and I literally laughed so hard I nearly peed myself at the trailer. I knew I had to watch it. When I did, I had to rewind a few times so I could catch what I missed while laughing out loud. Movies that do that to me are few and far between so it was very refreshing to finally be absorbed by this movie's surpirsingly great story about these poor, innocent rednecks who just want to do up their new holiday trailer. It's a great twist on you typical horror film. Although, I can't really categorize it as horror, or a comedy at that. It has everything! It has laughs, gore, scares, a relatable love story, suspense, action, and a sliver of drama! I cannot stress enough how much you, the reader, will enjoy this film. The dialogue is so well written and the actors are all so great. This movie will not disappoint to entertain you and want to share with your friends! I wish I could give it more than five stars. I watch a LOT of movies, so trust me when I say this movie is excellent! This movie deserves more marketing. It saddens me to see how little distribution this film got. Please buy or rent it. It will not disappoint.
on May 14, 2013
Great spoof of Horror/Slasher movies with a hilarious plot and script. Not just a montage of scenes put together like Scary Movie, but an actual story line that makes this movie a joy to watch. A twist on who are the actual Evil doers. Tyler Labine and Alan Tudyk are perfect as the Hillbilly buddies who just want a place to fix up and call there own, until some college students stumble on to their Vacation Home on the Lake. Evil Dead meets Deliverance with a little Jerry Lewis thrown in for good measure. I highly recommend this movie.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon September 12, 2015
The "cabin in the woods" genre of ridiculous horror movies has thrown up some winners; most notably the Evil Dead series. So it's not surprising that someone had a go at total parody. They have the ingredients right; run down cabin in the Virginia woods, a pair of beer soaked rednecks and a clutch of attractive, milk fed college students. And of course there is a back story involving a historical murder. This is where the formula begins to unravel. The rednecks, though dumb as stumps are so sweet you want to pinch their cheeks. The college students, arguably dumber than the rednecks, are paranoid and spend the movie on a knife edge of hysteria. As the bodies pile up it becomes apparent that human stupidity is competing neck and neck with any actual evil. Tucker and Dale Vs Evil is about as terrifying as a Buffy episode but it is filled with laugh out loud moments. Kudos to Eli Craig for putting everything together neatly, complimented by Tyler Labine and Katrina Bowden as the most mismatched couple since Titania fell for Bottom. Perfect fun for the aficionado of horror parody and silly movies in general.
on December 12, 2014
My husband and I never heard of this movie until we came across a "best movies you've never heard of" article and saw a 5 second clip. That's all it took. We were laughing so hard that we tracked down a copy of the movie that very night. Then, we huddled in front of the screen and giggled, guffawed and snortled our way through this movie like a couple of goofy kids. We even had to pause the movie a few times because we were laughing so hard.

The horror genre has long since lost its charm for us, so this movie really made our night (okay - it made our whole week!) It's clever without being too cute for it's own good and even the gory parts (which we usually don't have patience for) were forgivable. It's a very well thought-out movie and excellently executed - um ... pun not intended ;-) There was great attention in even the smallest details and we paused often to take it all in: newspaper clippings in the background, opposing characters dressed in outfits that were subtly similar, etc. I highly recommend this movie for both horror fans and those who have "out-grown" the genre.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon December 2, 2013
This is a great movie that expresses the differences in cultures and their ability to better understand each other, or the thrills of owning one's very one vacation house. This can even be a tutorial on how to pick up girls.

Tucker & Dale (Alan Tudyk & Tyler Labine) just by the new vacation home (a fixer-upper) will now way to do a little vacationing and fixing upping. They should have recognized the omen as the policeman explains to them that nothing good can come from that area. Little did they know that they would be soon stocked by college preppies that mysteriously also picked the same words to party and possibly even more. Will the two cultures clash from a misunderstanding or is there truly evil lurking there?

For the Music lovers:
"Soon" by John Craig "Meet My Maker", Holding On", & "Belong" by Mike Shields
"You Won't Hate Me Forever" by Mile Shields & Russell Broom
"Pump Up the Jam" by Thomas De Quincy & Manuela Kamosi
"I Dug My Grave and Walked Away "By David Isbister, Alan Calimbas, Michael Mestrovic, Brandon Lazenby

If the location looks familiar it was filmed in Alberta, Canada.

I had a great time with this movie as it was much better put together than your standard spoof. The presentation is not a campy as you would assume and even carries a redeeming social value.
on November 6, 2011
This horror spoof comedy is executed brilliantly by director and co-writer Eli Craig, and the production value is high. This is one comedy that will have you laughing out loud at the visual gags and rooting for the poor misunderstood hillbillies, portrayed by two very talented and funny actors, Tyler Labine & Alan Tudyk.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil is about two gentle & kindhearted hillbillies who just want to spend a relaxing weekend fishing and drinking beer at their new vacation home (a run-down shack used previously by a serial-killer) but here's the problem. A group of college kids decide to go camping in the Appalachian Mountains and run into our two backwoods buddies. One bloody mishap leads to another and the next thing you know, the witless college kids think they are being terrorized by the two hillbillies ... but it's all a misunderstanding! Mayhem & chaos ensue.
You've heard the expression, "You are your own worst enemy"? Well, the case will apply to most of the college kids in this movie, hence the "evil" our poor hillbillies will have to face.

Viewers will not have time to get bored as this comedy is fast paced with loads of visual gags, a heart warming story line and a very funny cast. This is a horror spoof along the line of the Scary Movie franchise so gore effects are used, but the emphasis is on the physical humor, the funny lines of dialogue and the comedic talents of the cast.

Dale is the shy, hapless, but very smart hillbilly who's tongue-tied around girls, and Tabine plays him with the perfect combination of satire and heart. His sidekick, Tucker, played by Tudyk is hilarious as he takes the brunt of the movie's mishaps in stride, and who's facial expressions alone will make you laugh.

The supporting cast is great as well. I thoroughly enjoyed this comedy and as some reviewers noted, this will become a cult classic. This movie will go viral in no time. Highly recommended!
on July 20, 2015
This little Canadian film is hilarious. It turns the horror genre on its head.
It looks at the premise of what if the ones you expect to be a couple of red neck serial killers after a group of college kids who've dared to venture into their woods, are really 2 sweet helpful guys.
But the college kids don't see it has that. So when these 2 hillbillies help a college girl after she's knocked unconscious. Her friends mistakenly think they have captured her to do unspeakable horrors.
Then each time they try to mount a rescue something goes awry leaving one of them dead.
The 2 hillbillies believe it's some crazy sucide pack & the kids are deliberately killing themselves. LOL
Do yourself a favour and watch the hilarious trailer on YouTube.
Hopefully someone decides to do a sequel. They could adapt the novel Green Fried Zombies, change the leads names in that novel to Tucker & Dale. Then they could make Tucker & Dale vs Zombies.