5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie and a trip down memory lane
I love sci fi movies and this one is a story that took me back to my childhood (60s) and the story reminded me of the fun I had the first time I saw ET. To me Super 8 has the same magic... with good kids and evil adults (army)...

The DTS 7.1 sound is truly amazing and the train wreck has got to be experienced on a good surround system.

PA
Published on Dec 13 2011 by Pierre Aubin

3.0 out of 5 stars Collage of E.T., Close Encounters and other such stuff
J.J. Abrams - Director / Writer / Producer presents us with a love story that incidentally is visited now and then by an alien. Marketed as a sort of kids "Blaire Witch" story, the film is a pale reflection of "The Goonies" (1985.)

Published 4 months ago by bernie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great movie and a trip down memory lane, Dec 13 2011
Pierre Aubin - See all my reviews

PA

4.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, Aug. 11 2012
This movie took me back in time to the late seventies early eighties when the Saturday Matinee at our local theater played.

The entire vibe of them movie is retro but with great special effects and top knotch acting.

Kyle Chandler kicks but as usual. He could be one of the most under rated actors out there. For a bit of nostalgia, get this movie and watch with you kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, Aug. 1 2012
Simple plot but extremely well done and very entertaining. All ages should find this an excellent way to escape for a while. Hard to locate the single DVD and so now the 'combo' package has been reduced to a sensible price don't miss out on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Dec 24 2011
I saw the film the first weekend it came out. It was amazing then. It was even more amazing when I watched it on Blu-ray. The effects enhanced the well-written and well-directed story. The special features were great, especially how they focused on the kids' relationships with each other and on the town the filmmakers used to represent the setting.

Film - A+
Special Features - A

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Spielberg homage, Dec 23 2013
Simon Bergeron - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
J.J. Abrams may be the king of lens flare on screen, something I don't mind at all, and this tale of children discovering an alien in their neighborhood is truly poignant at times, fun at time, action at times, etc. Spielberg would probably be proud. Abrams doesn't make a mockery of the genre and mixes E.T., Close Encounters of the Third Kind and sometimes Jaws (for some suspense) for a superb result. Actors (even the kids) give believable and touching performances, the special effects are great, and the reconstruction of the 80s is, quite frankly, mind blowing (having lived through them). Dialogs are spot-on, and the metaphors and horrors (the beginning is brilliant under-play) finish bringing Abrams' tale to cinematic life.

Special features are interesting and lengthy: a nice commentary track, loads of featurettes, interviews, deleted scenes, etc. You won't get bored with these selected bonuses. I honestly didn't expect to get close to 2 hours of stuff, but having 2 hours of comprehensive and entertaining as well as informative behind the scenes segments really honors the film.

Personally, I just loved the movie, even though I didn't know what to expect at first. Having said that, I would advise any newcomer of this movie to try and not remember everything your friends may have told you beforehand.

Brilliant filmmaking, nice homage and never a boring minute (for my tastes, of course)... Add this to your collection, you won't be sorry.

3.0 out of 5 stars Collage of E.T., Close Encounters and other such stuff, Dec 3 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Basically kids making a movie witness a train wreck and possibly something else. We know that they are in trouble as "poof" out of nowhere men in uniforms with flashlights appears.

There is a disclaimer in the beginning of the film but there does seem to be a lot of gratuitous potty mouth in the presentation.

Even if the plot was formula and many times formula can be fun, Elle Fanning excelled as a zombie. See her earlier works as Phoebe Lichten in "Phoebe in Wonderland" (2008).

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Movie, Nov. 28 2013
P. Rae - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Super 8 (DVD) (DVD)
This is really a fun picture suitable for family viewing. You can definitely see the fingerprint of Spielberg and Abrams. We have seen this movie 3 times and purchased the DVD to include in our collection of favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, Aug. 23 2013
Bernard (Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada) - See all my reviews
This movie is a big surprise. I loved it so much that I enjoying watching after the fourth and fifth times :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Super 8 Is Great.., June 10 2013
Oh my good lord the Train Wreck in this awesome movie is to die for,
wow the 7.1 DTS H.D Master Audio,the best i've heard in any movie that i've seen,
it's nice to bring back those good old days,E.T and Jurassic Park comes to mind
with one crazy Alien that eats people for a living.you got to love it..

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film!, Feb. 10 2013
This review is from: Super 8 (Bilingual) (DVD)
A cross between the films Stand By Me and District 9, this film combines excellent character development, humour and an exciting action story centered around a government cover-up of a discovery of extra-terrestrial life. I loved that the main characters were primarily kids yet there was an emotional depth to the writing that is not found in most action films.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa72475c4)

Super 8 (Bilingual)
Super 8 (Bilingual) by J.J. Abrams (DVD - 2011)
CDN$ 15.99 CDN$ 9.98