5.0 out of 5 stars I did research

1.0 out of 5 stars Good blender but blade can't be replaced
Published 17 months ago by Autumn

5.0 out of 5 stars I did research, May 7 2010
Ann Mary Ripa "GaGa over Gadgets" (Montreal, QC) - See all my reviews
I went on a website that compared KitchenAid along with 4 other makes - 2 moderately priced ones and 2 higher-end commercial types. The test was whether the machines could liquify a whole apple or a whole orange with the rind on and some liquid. The KitchenAid came out on top without having to use a plunger of sorts and this item was also sold with the higher-end blenders. Hmmm. I decided to upgrade to the KitchenAid model even though my old blender was still functioning when I saw it on sale for just little over $100. You will also like how much quieter this blender is compared to others. I use it regularly and I can honestly say that I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars No drawbacks yet!, Oct. 21 2011
Previous to purchasing this blender we had an Osterizer, which cost $49 and did the tasks we asked of it. However, it always let us know that it was doing us a favor by working. Then one day, it stopped working.

We had always talked about getting an industrial blender, such as a Vitamix TurboBlend VS Blender Vita-Mix (Tax Incl.), but felt the price-benefit ratio may not meet our criteria. While perusing small appliances at a department store, I became acquainted with the KitchenAid. This blender makes a good first impression. It feels like a small tank, similar to that of other trustworthy KitchenAid appliances I have grown to trust (proud owners of the classic KitchenAid mixer, and a rugged KitchenAid food processor). However, the department store price was nearing the top end of everyday consumer blenders at $229. After returning home, I did the typical consumer research for the KitchenAid over the internet (how much does it cost elsewhere, how product owners/testers reviewed it). I was shocked to find that amazon had the identical blender on sale for $90! But I couldn't make a rash purchase, purchase decisions often boil down to reading reviews. People complained about having trouble with the seal where the blade meets the jug. Others thought it was too noisy, and the lid didn't make a proper seal. Despite these minor flaws, we ordered it.

I effing love this blender. It may be a little loud, but this blender performs. It makes silky smoothies, and perfectly pureed soups. As opposed to the Osterizer, this blender feels like a tool that is ready and willing to perform anything you ask of it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good blender but blade can't be replaced, Nov. 21 2012
This blender works really well, but after 2 years of use the blade snapped. This is pretty common and shouldn't be a big deal to fix. But you can't buy a replacement blade because of the way the jar is made - it's all one piece. So when the blade breaks after your 1 year warranty expires, you have to spend $40 ($26 plus tax and shipping) to get a whole new jar, and throw out your perfectly good one. This is not good for people who plan to use it for many years and expect to be able to keep it in good shape with minor repairs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy this product - poor quality jar, Dec 7 2012
Julie Bazinet (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
Being a longtime loyal KitchenAid customer (have spent over $2000 on small appliances in the past 5 years), I am not spending another penny on a KitchenAid product. I have owned this blender for a few years, but I have used it less than about 20 times. Despite light use and it being only ever handwashed, the jar is cracking in several places. Unlike a commentor on the US site, KitchenAid Canada was unwilling to offer me a replacement (yes, it was out-of-warranty, but U.S. customers are getting a replacement due to this specific issue well beyond their warranty periods). They have recently redesigned the jar but will not admit that it is because the other model was defective. Based on Amazon.com reviews, I am not convinced that the new jar is any better, and I am unwilling to throw good money after bad at this point. Also, they were not willing to replace a food processor bowl that was purchased months before they were manufactured BPA-free, standing behind the claim that the Government of Canada has not determined that BPA is harmful for humans to ingest. Yet, they redesigned the product without BPA...

This blender is going into my garage sale and a new Vitamix onto my Christmas list. Yes, it is a LOT more expensive but I know that it will last a lifetime and that they will stand behind their product...a company that understands that it is much more profitable in the long run to build quality products and ensure that customers are completely satisfied.

As a consumer, we can only vote with our dollars. It is worthwhile to invest in quality rather than buying into the current throw-away culture. Until we demand it, companies will just keep making cheap products and have you buy them more often. They make more money this way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Broke after two years, Nov. 21 2012
This blender worked great for about two years. It was really powerful and could do thick dips, etc.

The rubber washers that hold the blade on failed - I ended up with bits of rubber washer in my brownie batter and a leaky jar. I called Kitchenaid, who said that while they had identified that leaking was a problem with this model, they were not taking any action about it yet and I should call back in a month or two. Not an acceptable resolution from my perspective. Seems like a waste to throw out the whole thing, as the motor seemed great, but I also don't want to spend more on a jar that might just break again!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, July 13 2011
I had been all set to provide a very very very positive review of this blender which I purchased after seeing how well it worked at a friends house, and was meeting all my needs until the jar, after approximately 5 weeks started to leak! My primary use of a blender is for the blending of ingredients for soup dishes, iced coffee and caiparenha! It was working beautifully until I discovered that the jar had begun to leak....I have reported the problem and since its still under warranty I have arranged to return it and receive a replacement which will hopefully not suffer a similar demise KitchenAid® 5-Speed Blender with Polycarbonate Jar - Metallic Chrome

4.0 out of 5 stars So far quite impressed., Aug. 18 2010
Does a real good job on liquefying veges and fruit such as apples, carrots etc. Half the price I would pay local and that's if it was on sale. However was misled about watts from other reviews, it is 600 watts. I am also impressed with Amazon. Being nervous about shopping online have stuck with only small items. The first shipping failed but Amazon was easy to get a hold of and corrected the problem right away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Choice, April 10 2010
This blender is very powerful. Crushes Ice into snow, leaves no pieces of frozen fruit in smoothies. If your thinking about spending over $500 on a Blendtec or Vitamix, try the Kitchen Aid blender first. Plus, the clean up on this blender is SO easy. There are no parts to take apart, you just fill 1/3 of the pitcher with water, add a drop of dishwashing liquid, and set it to the "stir" speed, then rinse. Very easy. Also, I was a bit aprehensive buying a blender that did not have a glass pitcher, but the Polycarbonate jar is excellent, lightweight but very durable.

You get a 1yr hassle free warranty. All in all, great buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Engineering, Feb. 22 2011
Bought this blender to replace an cheap 7 year old blender. First year it worked well (I never put it in the dishwasher, so never saw leaking as others report). Blade broke shortly into the second year. Turns out replacing the blade means replacing the whole jug at approx 1/3 the cost of the entire blender!

Firstly, it's hard to imagine a piece of metal that comes under more stress in the entire house than a blender blade. That the engineering design requires that replacing a tiny piece of metal which will almost certainly break means sending about a pound of high quality plastic to the landfill and re-investing 1/3 the price of the blender deserves one star. It's a a ripoff and an environmental disaster.

Secondly, Kitchenaid wasn't much help. Amazon will ship you the blender for free, but replacement parts ship from Kitchenaid for $10.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender!!, May 17 2010
I did a bit of research before purchasing this blender and I can say with confidence that for the price point this is the best blender out there. It works wonderfully and has an easy clean up. If you're thinking about buying a blender and want something quality for a decent price, this is it.

ARRAY(0xb4f0c510)