5.0 out of 5 stars A dream of a Movie
Ooooooh baby!
If one appreciates Independent Films, this is one of the best.
Three characters (mostly)--- Ellen Burstyn, Jennifer Connelly, and Jared Leto make up the brilliant cast.
Published on July 18 2004 by My Inner Chick

3.0 out of 5 stars Bare-bones release of a good movie
Published on March 11 2009 by K. Lynch

5.0 out of 5 stars A dream of a Movie, July 18 2004
My Inner Chick "KRROBI" (Duluth, MN. United States) - See all my reviews
Ooooooh baby!
If one appreciates Independent Films, this is one of the best.
each of them despartely stuck in situations they appear they cannot get out of, each of them pathetically sick (in different ways), each of them will grab the viewer by the neck and demand their full attention.
they will get it.
Ellen Burstyn in one of the most superb roles of her career...absolutley stunning as the old, lonely, heart-wrenching widow with nothing to look forward to except a pathetic, no-mind game show.
Jennifer Connelly and Jared Leto as heroine junkies...who need it so bad they steal, lie, she sells her body, performs at stag parties---and all of this for a temporary high.
This movie is powerful, will bring you out of your seat (if you're alive), will bring you into places you do not want to be, dark, lonely, bug-filled filth.
But you'll stay...because you cannot bring yourself to leave..,
because you want so much for the characters to change, to be what they are meant to be.
But they don't---they only take up space---only exist while life happens around them. They are like bugs, moving, eating, breathing, but really nothing. Nothing.
This movie was directed beautifully, multi-layered, poetry on the screen (the kind of poetry that will make you cry, feel, and think about for weeks on end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing, Graphic and Great, July 18 2004
I went to this movie hearing plenty of buzz about how graphic the content was. Over the course of the movie you see just how Aronofsky wants to send his message to the audience. The characters start off with somewhat mild addictions and then next thing you know the four main characters are living in hell. I couldn't believe how low they all fell. This movie may be the greatest anti-drug message of all time. I dare anybody to watch this and to not be touched and frightened by these characters. Before the movie started I noticed the audience was quite loud and garrulous, but as it ended and the credits rolled the whole place was stone cold silent. It was amazing.
As a whole I felt the movie was excellent. The visuals were well done and the editing was outstanding. The actors really put themselves into their roles. Jared Leto and Jennifer Connelly had very good chemistry, while Marlon Wayans showed he is a talented actor and not just a talented comic. Ellen Burstyn. Wow! She was amazing. I can't believe an older woman would allow herself to be filmed like that. She has some serious guts. Hands down the best female performance I've watched this year, not even close. I was totally amazed by her.
All in all, I would say Requiem For a Dream is a great movie. It had a profound impact on me and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I watched it on opening night. I definitely recommend this movie to anyone. This is a movie everyone should see, but unfortunately not enough will.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bare-bones release of a good movie, March 11 2009
K. Lynch (Canada) - See all my reviews
Like a number of recent Alliance releases, with the corresponding lower price, the Blu-ray of "Requiem for a Dream" comes with no main menu nor any extras (you change sound options via a pop-up display). The quality of the video is okay at 1080p but is noticeably not up to what one would expect from a BD title (although, this may be due to the source material, somewhat). Sound comes in a 5.1 DTS-HD Master (also 5.1 Dolby Digital) so there's nothing to fault there.

The movie itself has incredible acting and a shooting style that makes it a worthwhile viewing experience for movie buffs. However, I'm afraid that the movie may lose some of its audience if they are used to traditional fare. "Requiem for a Dream" is a big part Art and it won't be for everyone.

Briefly: I'm quite positive about the movie itself, and if you don't care for bells & whistles or the best quality Blu-ray can offer, this release will suffice. However, the bare-bones nature of it may give you pause.

5.0 out of 5 stars So more than just another 'drug movie', June 29 2007
Jenny J.J.I. "A New Yorker" (That Lives in Carolinas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Remember the anti-drug commercial where a girl points to an egg, says, "this is your brain," and then screams, "this is your brain on drugs!" as she smashes the egg with a skillet and proceeds to demolish the entire kitchen, screaming, "and this is what drugs do to your family, this is what they do to your future..." and so on? We'll this story does give you that indication but it's so much more.

After watching this I thought it was the most harrowing, unsettling, and yet utterly compelling film dealing with the issue of drug use, and the effects it has on those involved I have ever seen. This is, and I state for the record, in no way glorifying, sensationalizing, or condoning drug use in any way. Took me ages to finally see this flick but thankfully it's been recommended to me base on my experience with Aronofsky's recent film "The Fountain."

It has a brilliant ensemble cast. Ellen Burnstyn had my heart by the end as I watched her truly sweet and charming character of Sara Goldfarb slowly deteriorate because of an addiction. I cannot believe she was denied an Oscar for this role, because it's among the best on-screen performances I've ever seen. It would be a crime in my mind to not commend Jared Leto on his performance. The job he does in the film seems to be quite underrated, but his role as Harry Goldfarb came out as my favorite character. His acting is superb in all senses, and its clear to me that his research into the role paid off. Big time. Because he's put me off drugs of all forms with his depiction of an addict. Jennifer Connely could've very easily made her character of Marion Silver a melodramatic, difficult to watch hunk of ....., but thank the good lord she didn't. It takes a great actor to walk the fine line between real and fake, and she does it so wonderfully well. She may have been playing a supporting role, but it never seemed that way to me. Her performance will stay with me for a long time to come. Marlon Wayans was also amazing in his performance and the fact that he managed to make me remember his character of Tyrone C Love says a lot.

The directing is nothing short of amazing. Darren Aronofsky creates an excellent mood, making great use of cameras mounted to the actors, hallucination sequences, split camera shots and shows he his artistic sense in a brilliant montage at the end of the film, which was one of my highlights, and the score is beautiful, and makes the mood even more hostile at times. All up, "Requiem For A Dream" is not for the squeamish or faint of heart, but it's a film that everyone should see at some time in their lives. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you may never see another film that leaves you more scared, shocked and affected mentally than "Requiem For A Dream." O by the way Mr. Aronofsky I'm your friend again.

2.0 out of 5 stars I just don't get it., March 29 2009
D. Morrison "drD" (toronto, on) - See all my reviews
The film itself get's 5 stars as it is one of my favourite movies. The cast, script, direction & editing are all incredible.
I thought I'd be replacing my DVD but crap ... my DVD widescreen director's cut has much in the way of extra's & the Blu-Ray has squat. The extra's are done & in the can, why not include them on the Blu-Ray? When I started buying Blu-Ray's I had the hopes of replacing some of my DVD's on Blu-Ray, but it's happened (too often) that I have to keep both versions because the features on the DVD aren't on the Blu-ray. Getting kinda fed up with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars M'eh . . . Stylish but Rather Empty, July 13 2004
Stephen Kaczmarek "Educator, Writer, Consultant" (Columbus, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
Having Attention Deficit Disorder may not be required when watching "Requiem for a Dream," but it probably helps. If being bombarded with many of the same images throughout the film isn't enough to make you feel this way, then the onslaught of style over substance--sped up action, rotating cameras, fisheye lenses, split screen effects--that stands in for a compelling plot will. Based on the 1970s novel of the same title, "Requiem for a Dream" chronicles the predictable downward spiral of several characters whose otherwise empty lives revolve around drugs of one kind or another. The most interesting of them is a diet-obsessed TV junkie (Ellen Burstyn, who rather disturbingly resembles "Three's Company"'s Mrs. Roper here)--we see her devolve into a hideous sketch of her former self with the help of physician-endorsed speed. By comparison, the troubles of blank-faced co-stars Jared Leto, Jennifer Connelly, and Marlon Wayans seem trivial and almost a distraction. I'm probably just too old to be moved by it all; overwrought sequences of people lazing about, freaking out while searching for their next fix, or turning to one form of human degradation or another in desperation just seem cliched and emotionally sterile, perhaps because I still remember "Gridlock'd," "Trainspotting," "Naked Lunch" and "Drugstore Cowboy." Nonetheless, I'm guessing younger people will be pretty impressed, and to be fair, the acting and technical tricks occasionally almost make up for the low budget and paper-thin story. The soundtrack by Kronos Quartet is also sufficiently hip and brooding to match the mood of the film, but mute the sound during any of the repetitive "getting high" or "tripping bad" scenes and see if it still seems like something meaningful is going on. While I saw the unedited version, I'm stumped as to what was deemed the equivalent of "NC-17" material, as there's nothing here I haven't seen on HBO--ratings nowadays really do seem rather arbitrary.

4.0 out of 5 stars will leave you speechless, July 11 2004
This is one of those few movies where you actually stare at the tv screen for more than 5 minutes after the film is over...it's just that good. To say this is brilliant film-making is an understatement. Ellen Burnstyn gave of the best performances I have ever (and I repeat, EVER!) seen on film. What really pisses me off is that she was nominated for an Oscar the same year that Julia Roberts won for that piece of trite called "Erin Brockovitch"....talk about wanting a recount! Miss Burnstyn won that Oscar in my eyes that year. And, I firmly believe that this movie should be sent to schools that participate in the "Just Say No" program. It may be rated R (or in some versions, NC-17) but this is what really happens to people who abuse drugs. The last 10 minutes of this movie will either move you to tears, or make you get up and leave the room...it's just that powerful. (mainly it's the technique the filmaker uses to cut to the different scenes...also the soundtrack is pretty intense as well). I urge you to see this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Beyond All Belief, June 24 2004
Requiem for a Dream is filmmaking at its height and glory. Instead of repeating what has already been said in the other reviews, I'd like to quote a passage given in the DVD case by "Ain't it Cool News":
"This film should be REQUIRED VIEWING for every friggin High School kid in the country. It should be unleased upon them. This movie is brutal...brutal in the most aggressively harsh reality moments we have in society. Are you happy with where the characters are at the end...NO....should it be any different...NO. This film has an absolute moral center. And I know for a fact that I'll see this film at least 10 times before the end of the year. Not because it is a happy film. Not because ewwww I love dark stories. I'll see it repeatedly because it is just BRILLIANT filmmaking."
I myself have a new standard as far as a lead actress is concerned...Ellen Burstyn as Sara Goldfarb. It takes alot to make me cry in a movie, but I have never helt so intensly about a characters demise than in Requiem. She is the actress to which all other actresses will be compared.
I can't stress enough how important this movie is to see, and how important it is to spread. Amazing...simply extraordinary.

5.0 out of 5 stars The hell is in your mind, June 14 2004
Hiram Gomez Pardo (Valencia, Venezuela) - See all my reviews
This movie is stunnig. Aronofsky has thrown his glow to the sand with this disturbing and challenging film that will demand of you as viewer one moment of your valuable time because this film is important.
The infinite loneliness in which lives Ellen Burstyn (I still wonder why she didn't received the Academy Award for this performance)is just the starting point of horror nightmare which will involve four lives.
The hopeless and the no reason to live in the behavior mood of his son , will lead him with his bride and his friend to find the delights and pleasures of an artificial universe , due this world is awful and understandable for these three border characters.
The narrative is loaded of brilliant effects ; every one of the meaning characters is inmersed in his own mind jail. The slow decline in the moral will lead to feed the unthristy need of getting more and more ; the huge greed for feeling alright.
You'll experience a journey to hell , but beware ; I don't mean special effects ; it's the awfulness , the anguish in its major expression.
This film , from its first release has become in a sudden cult movie.
If you felt the human desperation in the man with the golden arm in the fifties , so then prepare your senses when you watch this film.
Top notch performances and no mercy script!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Dream...or a Nightmare??, June 12 2004
One of the most surprising and enticing movies of the last years, this cult classic (yes, it`s a modern classic already) presents a superb and unforgettable perspective about the nature of addiction (not just drugs).
Darren Aronofsky delivers some cutting-edge moments here, managing to offer terrific camera-angles with a powerful, fluid photography and an urban, hypnotic soundtrack. He`s one of the most promising directors around, resembling David Fincher, Chris Nolan or Richard Kelly due to his videoclip-like cinematography.
The plot focuses the lives of four alienated and lonely individuals whose experiences with addiction lead them to a downward spiral, generating a couple of astonishing and surreal scenes. "Trainspotting" was one of the essential movies of the nineties, as it delivered a new perspective on drugs and its effects, but "Requiem for a Dream" is equally impressive, creative and original, presenting multiple memorable moments worth rewatching.
Its non-linear structure may be confusing at parts, some characters are not fully developed and the overall tone of the film is way too depressing (even a bit pretentious), still "Requiem for a Dream" shines as a respectable and strong achievement nonetheless.
This is independent filmaking at its best, a rich and multi-layered cinematic experience that doesn`t disappoint.
Highly Recommended.