5.0 out of 5 stars American History
Probably one of the best movies I've watched in awhile ---- confronting, violent & full of emotion ( a must watch ) be ready for the big ending -- AAA+++
Published on Jan. 4 2012 by danny4178

3.0 out of 5 stars meh
Things I liked:
Edward Norton
B/W memories, technicolor present
Things I disliked:
The lacking defense of "liberalism." what was their defense? that nazis are wrong because they are violent, inconsistant, and will betray you? well, okay, that's a good reason for not joining a gang thereof, but the philosophy was not deconstructed AT ALL. The sister...
Published on Sept. 13 2003 by Celia

1.0 out of 5 stars What was all the hype about?, May 9 2004
By A Customer
Everyone kept telling me to see this movie. They said it would be like nothing I have ever encountered before.
Well, I saw it. Was I moved? Hardly. Instead I found myself to be incredibly bored and even slightly annoyed.
The movie attempts to lecture white kids kids about racism. It does a terrible job. I am white, and grew up around white racist kids, and let me tell you....they were horrible animals. And you couldn't change them. They were sadistic cowards. The makers of this movie are so naive. They actually think they can change the views of racist kids by exposing them to one of the sappiest, overly sentimental movies of the past decade?
They really believe that ridiculously melodramatic scenes will get through to these idiots?
We all know that racism exists and how bad it is. And the stereotypes in this movie are so politically correct, that they very well may further racism rather than stop it.
This movie also seemed to alienate white kids. It makes it as though you can only be racist if you are white, and that the social problems of other minority communities excuse their prejudices and racist attitudes towards white people.
At least thats the feeling I got from the film. I could be wrong. But it feels strangely familiar.
American History X drags on and on. The story is poor. The dialogue is poor. I actually pity the actors. Its not really their fault. I mean, they were given such terrible lines, they really had nothing to work with.
One of the biggest failures of the movie was the transition of Norton's character from a violent racist to an open minded, loving, saint. The change was brought about so poorly in the movie that it was embarrasing to watch because it looked so artificial.
I applaud movies that attack the evils of racism, but this one is an utter failure. It relies far to much on shock value rather than plot and character development. There is nothing here. Its as though high school students wrote the script.

2.0 out of 5 stars still teh best Neo Nazi and SKinhead film BUT......., March 9 2004
By A Customer
it seems imposible for the weidros in Hollywood to produce a film that comesclose to the truth in America (or Europe)
these days.
Eddy Norton stars as Derek, a talented pupil in High School whose father gets murdered by a black drug dealer during the L.A. riots. Traumatized by this Derek becomes the leader of a local Nazi Skinhead gang mentored by a would be Adolph called Cameron (Stacy Keach).
The problem here is that most of the things the fictional character Derek addresses are true, ilegal imigration, the fact that most criminals are blacks, the fact that the public school system in America (and Europe) have turned into zoos where drugs and non-white gangs are the status quo. Basically he just takes those argumentations to th extreme and starts his own personal revenge crusade, that sends him straight to prison.
There he gets raped by his white (!!!) Nazi fellow inmates.
AMerican History X wants to make a point, but in the end comes up with the same old clichees about the bad bad white folks who should be like dumb sheep and "tolerate" marauding blacks and Latinos in their cities, who happily should pay taxes so that illegal aliens can get even more dollars out of the honest white working men, and of course "Racism is Bad" , geeeee, who would have guessed.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Exceedingly effective, overwhelmingly graphic., March 23 2010
This movie should be rated R. That said, I think the graphic violence and disturbing visual images were extremely effective in emotively extending this dead-weight issue.
American History X is a movie for all people, those who live in multicultural communities, and those who live in more segregated ones. It is a movie that will move you and cause you to deeply consider your own interactions with others of your race and not of your race.
If you enjoyed this movie, I would also recommend you see the film Crash, it is also regarding racism in America, less graphic, and with more characters involved from both Caucasian and African American perspectives.
Edward Norton was a fantastic actor for his role. He plays his part well, as you can also see in Fight Club.
I would not recommend this movie for anyone under 14 years old.

1.0 out of 5 stars I wonder..., Jan. 11 2004
"ospawno" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
if we will ever have a movie exemplifying the racist attitudes of the people of Israel?
The problem with this movie is it portrays ethnocentricism as a white pathology, which is completely contrary to what we find in this world. How many people like Norton's character really exist in our modern world? Very few. If we are going to make a movie about ethnocentric behavior, the portrayal of an Israeli soldier would be much more relavent and believable.
Ultimately, this movie provides no insight to real life racist behavior. It simply promotes the hollywood myth that egalitarianism is the normal human tendency, and only white people prefer their own race or tribe over others. Meanwhile, the whole world is errupting in ethnic wars and indoctrinated Americans don't have a clue as to why.

1.0 out of 5 stars Do we really need..., Dec 5 2004
By A Customer
another movie to villianize white people? This movie, like so many other pieces of liberal propaganda, only serve to reinforce the notion that only whites can be racist, that whites are wholly responsible for the societal problems of the other races, and that whites everywhere are conspiring to subjugate minorities. As for me I am getting a little sick and tired of it. I wonder if we will ever see a balanced and honest view of racism and ethnocentrism out of Hollywood. Somehow I doubt it.

American History X: SteelBook Edition [Blu-ray + DVD]