Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(1 star).Show all reviews
on April 28, 2003
I really wanted this to be good - there's nothing I like more than a good Sci Fi movie that challenges the world we live in today, and translates our problems into higher concepts. While the idea of [chemical substance]-induced "numbness" is an interesting one to explore, it rubbed off on the performances and photography too much. The script is dull and pretentious, and develops as intelligently as Mortal Kombat. "Let's get this character from point A to B and then have him fight and move on." This film is dumb, boring, uninspired, pretentious, slow, illogical, too "serious" and an otherwise complete waste of time. I wish the film's interesting concept had been developed by a less self-important personality with an actual grasp of story and character development.
I wholeheartedly recommend watching director Kurt Wimmer's director's commentary on this thing, though ... That ... track makes this DVD worthwhile. ...
on February 8, 2010
It's a real scam! On the rear of the box, it's written clearly that the main feature is 1080p with a ratio of 2.35:1, the original film aspect ratio, but in reality those Alliance idiots cropped the picture to 16:9, to fit your screen. It's false representation all the way. Don't get caught like me. This Blu-ray bears the catalog number 111279 on the side of the box and the UPC is 65935 82901. Wait for another release or buy a release from another country.
on September 14, 2009
First of all let me say that this movie is fantastic as most of you already knows.Now to the point, this blu ray deserve no more than one star because the original 2:35.1 aspect ratio of the movie has been $%^&***&%%$. Shame on you alliance atlantis. What's wrong with black bars on big screen tvs anyway? Even though this movie looks better on blu ray I will always watch on dvd. Ive seen this movie so many times that when I watch in on blu ray, I feel that there is something missing.Im really pissed off.
on March 5, 2003
(...)P>I was one of the ten people in America who caught EQUILIBRIUM in the theatre and dear lord, I laughed until I cried. I hadn't seen such an earnestly bad movie since BATTLEFIELD EARTH.
Just because a science fiction movie adopts a lofty premise (what would the world be like if we couldn't feel.. sniff?) doesn't mean it's a good or intelligent movie. The "world without feeling" premise is so flimsy, it's hysterical. They live in a world without emotion (to prevent war), but the clerics and government officials all display anger, aggression, ambition, prejudice, etc.
Wimmer ignores any interesting aspect of exploring characters who feel no emotion and instead occupies himself with creating a low-rent version of THE MATRIX. The visuals and the look of the movie are all uniformly pathetic. Apparently, Dimension had left-over sets from IMPOSTER and wanted to make another forgettable sci-fi flick on the cheap.
There are so many hysterically bad moments in the film, there are almost too many to list, but here's a few: Christian Bale abandons his whole belief system for the love of a puppy; future people think throwing criminals into a giant furnace is a prudent form of capital punishment; in the future, we all have lots of futuristic gadgets, but we'll drive repainted Ford Tauruses; the government decides that the best way to enforce use of the "no feeling pill" is to create a group of CLERICS (?) who do kung-fu with guns--that's right, KUNG-FU WITH GUNS--yep, that's good; and apparently, the government only needs 2 or 3 clerics to police all of society.
Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that this is a "deep" or "serious" work of science fiction. It's cheap genre trash that hides behind Philosophy for Dummies and an art house cast.
BUT I do recommend that you see EQUILIBRIUM. It's hilariously bad and makes a great companion piece for a bad movie night with BATTLEFIELD EARTH, DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS, or SHOWGIRLS.
on May 6, 2003
The movie's story line is awfull, no major special effects, in fact, it has absolutely nothing special on it, just a silly story about a quasi Hitler/Goebels lunatic messing with people's minds for no purpose at all.
I even asked the rental to return me the money I spent on it, as it was on their recomendations display.
on March 27, 2003
Once again, I see a poor movie, and then come on Amazon to see scores of people who have writeen a briliant review of it. This is undeniably a rip off of the Matrix, an obvious cash in on a cult movie, but then again, I guess it was only a matter of time before that happened.
Now I was actually hoping to be pleasantly surpirsed by Equilibrium, as the storyline seemed to be a very promising one. Set in the future in the aftermath of World War 3, a drug is given to people to keep their emotions stable, with the thought being that it is emotions that account for wars beginning in the first place, thus eliminating them would rid the world of war altogether. But one person forgets to take the drug, and so it goes...
But it seems the storyline is only good thing about this film, as it drags on to become a total bore. It's main weakness being the action sequences, good on effects, but completely ridiculous on realisation, as we see one man wipe out a gang of twenty or so other men time and time again. The scenes are corny, and I found myself laughing at the stupidity of them countless times.
There were only about ten people in the whole cinema when I went (which figures) including my friends, and even they, who had been eagerly awaiting it admitted afterwards that it was bad to the point of being laughable, so I honestly don't know where all these good reviews have been coming from. Then again. there were a few morons in the audience who seemed to be enjoying it, so I suppose they could have come from them .
I'm not saying this a truly, truly, awful movie. As I've written in my title, it is the worst movie I have seen this year. I'm sure there have been worse ones than this, but I wouldn't know because I only try to watch quality movies. But compared to the rest I have seen this year, this is definitely the worst.
on October 14, 2003
This is a really bad movie. Do not waste your money or time with it. If I could give it a negative star rating, I would.The premise of the film isn't original at all. I watched, waiting for a final twist, but it ended in the usual way. To compare this to the Matrix is an insult. It also trys to compare itself to Minority report. This does not ring true either.
on April 25, 2004
This movie was highly recommended. I regret wasting the time watching it. I hoped, vainly, that it would get better but it did not. Matix made you think about our world and our reality. This movie did none of those things.
I read a lot of SF and this script is so poorly done that I was getting madder and madder at the stupid dialog and character "motivations". I offered to lend the DVD to friends but they would not take it.
If you want a well crafted movie rent or buy Donnie Darko.