5.0 out of 5 stars Real Sleeper!
I've never heard of this movie before until I accidentally read someone's review on another movie. He was wondering why movies like Equilibrium did not get any attention which it deserved. I could not resist my curiosity and thus I rented it right away. What a pleasant surprise! Even if the cover looked like a typical B-class movie, the movie itself was a real deal...
Published on Feb. 8 2004 by Mantaray

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Movie Poor Shipping and Handling
This review is for the Steelbook Edition. I love Equilibrium and have multiple copies of the film on blu ray and DVD. I only purchased this because of the collectible steelbook packaging. However, the item was poorly shipped in a bubble wrap envelope which hardly provides any protection for this kind of item. Needless to say, the steelbook arrived dented on the front...
Published 1 month ago by A. Siani

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Equlibrium steelbook Blu-ray, Nov. 22 2011
This review is from: Equilibrium (SteelBook Edition) [Blu-ray + DVD] (Blu-ray)
It's locked only on region A - because I'm tested this Blu-ray on region B and C players. And it have same old transfer with incorrect aspect ratio 1:1,85 (OAR - 2,35). But sound on this disc is very good - DTS-HD MA 5.1 (English) rocks! Overall - 4 out 5 stars for sound and nice steelbook case.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stupid, self-indulgent sci-fi, April 28 2003
Jorg (Santa Monica, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I really wanted this to be good - there's nothing I like more than a good Sci Fi movie that challenges the world we live in today, and translates our problems into higher concepts. While the idea of [chemical substance]-induced "numbness" is an interesting one to explore, it rubbed off on the performances and photography too much. The script is dull and pretentious, and develops as intelligently as Mortal Kombat. "Let's get this character from point A to B and then have him fight and move on." This film is dumb, boring, uninspired, pretentious, slow, illogical, too "serious" and an otherwise complete waste of time. I wish the film's interesting concept had been developed by a less self-important personality with an actual grasp of story and character development.
I wholeheartedly recommend watching director Kurt Wimmer's director's commentary on this thing, though ... That ... track makes this DVD worthwhile. ...

2.0 out of 5 stars so, so offering...aspect ratio NEEDS to be corrected..., March 30 2012
This review is from: Equilibrium (SteelBook Edition) [Blu-ray + DVD] (Blu-ray)
So I doubt I'll see a really good release of this film in the near future...the picture quality, while just passable, is in the wrong aspect ratio and needs to be corrected and the DTS-MA is good, but not great. The latest release in the states is a double pack with the movie "Renaissance" that restores the correct aspect ratio but has lossy Dolby Digital 5.1. Gotta pick your poison with this title I guess...ugh...

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice surprise., Feb. 6 2009
This review is from: Equilibrium (DVD)
I got interested in this movie when I accidently saw a movieclip on youtube. I finally opted to buy the movie since it was only 10$.

I was not disappointed one bit. The story is good, the action scenes are very cool. I really don't know why people compare to the Matrix cuz honestly, nothing is like the matrix.

If this movie passed in theaters and I would have known about it, I would have definately saw it.

It's a nice addition to my cllection and would have gladly paid 30$ for it with no regrets.

If you are skeptical, rent it, but otherwise, if you like movies that have a nice storyline, action scenes, guns and some mystery, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant surprise..., April 5 2008
JJ (Peterborough, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Equilibrium (DVD)
Yes, this is definitely one of those sleepers just begging to be discovered... I became a fan of Christian Bale as a result of his strong and convincing performances in the dark and disturbing Machinist and the brooding and gritty Batman Begins. So when I came across Equilibrium, I thought 'what do I have to lose?' I ended up buying it because it was only a couple more bucks than an actual rental. And I'm glad I did! The reviewers below describe it well enough. The director's vision of the near future is a believable one, and he brings in a strong cast of characters. Not only Bale, but the cameo appearance of Sean Bean was a special treat for me. I've been an avid follower of Sean's work as well ever since his masterpiece Sharpe Series on the History Channel. Even though his role in this movie is short-lived, he plays an integral role in Christian's character Preston's 'fall from grace' and eventual re-awakening. An interesting plot, which keeps you tied to the seat with its fast action battle sequences and believable characters. A must-see for sci-fi action enthusiasts.

4.0 out of 5 stars Passafist Reviews Equilibrium, June 17 2003
By A Customer
Sometimes movies come out as reactions to fads in popular culture. Equilibrium is that kind of movie. It will always be compared to The Matrix, which is fair assessment. Much of the look of the picture seems to pay homage to that film, but its story plays closer to Fahrenheit 451, 1984, and least to me Conquest of the Planet of the Apes.
Sometime after World War III, the world was in Chaos. A man came foreword to restore order; he is Father (Sean Pertwee, The 51st State). He implements a social program in which the population takes a drug that denies them feelings. For feelings are major human flaw. Those who do not take this drug are called `sense offenders.'
So of course in the opening scene we watch as 30 sense offenders get slaughtered and the Mona Lisa get burned. We meet a Cleric, the highest-ranking police official in this society, named John Preston (Christian Bale). He recently lost his wife, who was also `sense offender.' In his own unfeeling we see a man about to crack under the pressure. One morning he misses a dose of his drug and we watch as he begins to feel again.
I'm not sure yet, but I believe much of this film is tongue in cheek. It seems like it was winking back at the audience, begging them to get the joke. The film takes itself so seriously you begin to doubt how serious the film is. I hate to invent a genre but it's almost a Dramatic Spoof.
There are a series of gun battles that are just amazing. Most seem to be done without wires, without bullet time, without computer effects. This is a film that probably had a smaller budget than The Matrix but look just as good. There's this one scene that I won't tell you about, but WOW. The choreography was perfect.
Christian Bale is electric in his role. There is this moment where he's telling a puppy to run away. He has a stone face but a sad vulnerability behind his eyes. It's amazing.
Taye Diggs seems to be smiling his way through the film as John's new partner Brandt. He plays the part perfectly, subtle but with fireworks hiding behind him.
And Emily Watson is just gorgeous, as Mary O'Brien, she has a small role, but it's powerful. When her and John touch for the first time. You feel for the first time.
All in all it was a shame that this film had such a small release in the theatres. It's fun and well worth the hour and 40 minutes you spend with these characters. In a world of unfeeling films, Equilibrium gives unfeeling characters a sense of feeling.

4.0 out of 5 stars Equilibrium in more than just title., June 7 2003
ANX "matthew4491" (Simi Valley, Ca United States) - See all my reviews
Did you like the Matrix but feel it had just too much loopiness in it's plotline?
Did you like the book Brave New World, but felt at times it lacked a modernistic approach to action?
Did you ever wish to see those two stories in one.
Okay this movie has that kind of feel. It's basically saying in the Early years of the 21st Century, WWIII happened. Since then the world joined together(what remained of it) and created a society where emotions were outlawed because it was believed that emotions cause war. These emotional criminals are monitored and eraticated by these Gestapo type policemen called Clerics.

So it's like BNW in that it's a society hellbent on one ideal. (BNW=Youth alone EQ=No Emotion) and then one Cleric learns what it is to feel and tries to work his way through it all. While there's some incredible fight scenes (no CGI or Wires mind you. Just pure crazy choreography) it's also got a great deal of feeling to it without all the crypticism of the Matrix.
Christian Bale provides an amazing portrayal of innocence through naivity. And while Taye Diggs belied his part by smirking far too much for an emotionless Cleric, he did play a natural bad guy 'just doing his job.'
All in all despite a fairly basic plotline, and Taye Diggs minor slip ups, this movie provides all that was lacking in Matrix and more.
Tired of Wire Fighting and CGI taking over the job of great choreography blended with great acting? Look no further than Equilibrium.

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly Entertaining, June 6 2003
Mert Hekimci "DiGaHoLe" (Chicago, IL USA) - See all my reviews
The Gun-kata in this movie is unbelievable. A very creative piece of imagination I must admit. Bale as Preston character does a good job, and also pulls off the action sequences really well. It could have been so much better if they could have used Sean Bean more in the movie. The costumes and the environments also give the audience a good feel of the cold atmosphere surrounding the new world.
One last word must go to the ending sequence. The ending sequence of this movie was unbelievable. I would say that one would easily be among the best action sequences together with Blade's opening sequence, and The Matrix's scene where Neo and Trinity take on the entire swat team in a hall. I wish it would have been longer.
For sci-fi and action fans, I strongly recommend this movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gun Fighting done right, June 6 2003
Forget The Matrix, the action scenes in this movie (done with no wires, bullet time or slow motion) absolutely blows everything else away.
This movie demonstrates how to blend martial arts and gun fighting perfectly.
The story is good, but its the fight scenes (which unfortunately only take up maybe 15 mins of the whole movie) that makes it so great.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the 10 best sci-fi films of all time!, June 2 2003
Chris O'Brien (Mississauga, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
Christian Bale, perhaps one of the most overlooked talents in Hollywood today, delivers his best performance yet. As John Preston, the most esteemed "Cleric," a police-like figure whose responsibility it is to hunt down and kill those reisistance fighters who still cling to human emotion and collect relics of human culture in post-World War 3 civilization, Preston belongs to a government which firmly believes that it is our own emitions which threaten to destroy mankind. The logical conclusion is to shut these emotions out, which is acomplished through the administration of a special drug.

I don't want to summarize the plot for you, but being an employee at a major video rental chain, I see a lot of crap. And this movie had the potential to join that crap in the stinking, steaming pile of garbage movies that are produced each year without fail. But something about this picture is different. Anyone who dismisses the blending of martial arts and gunfighting as ridiculous is obviously not a true fan of the genre, since they accept such equally preposterous concepts such as harnessing the powers of three psychic siblings to tell the future of crime before it is comitted in other similar films (not naming any names).
What we have here is a mix of Orwell's 1984 and Bradbury's Farenheit 451, with some Blade Runner and yes, I'm proud to admit, some Matrix-esque slickness thrown in for good measure. The result is pure energy, a film which oozes cool without overtly trying to do so. Hell, even Taye Diggs manages a convincing performance. For that alone this film deserves my rating.

‹ Previous | 1 2 310 | Next ›