5.0 out of 5 stars Humble, honest and introspective, with lots of great race stories!, July 18 2012
I was very much looking forward to the release of this book, but somewhat apprehensive: I was hoping it wouldn't be preachy on the subject of veganism, or full of ego, or about sudden, life-changing transformations... As a (non-ultra) trail runner, I wanted to satiate my fascination about elite trail runners without ruining my image of Scott Jurek as someone who seems to balance kindness and competiveness. I needn't have worried. The book blew me away and only reinforced my positive image. It's a story of life-long transformation, about how little pieces fall into place over the years like clues to a bigger puzzle. He even says in the prologue "I was common as grass, longing for something I couldnt even name" and "The story of my life is going to sound very familiar. Not in the details but in the desire." So very true. I could relate personally in some small way to almost every aspect of his journey, despite the vastly different details between the life of an uber-athlete and that of a jane-doe-midlife-crisis-athlete. It is also about Jurek's extreme dedication to both mental and corporeal training and research, and his enormous desire to win, yet he maintains an air of honest humility throughout. The presentation of chapters is chronological, virtually all defined by the recounting of a specific key race, but there is enough non-linear story-telling and introspection woven within each chapter to make it fun to read. The photos are well-chosen, the recipes sound delicious, the opening-chapter quotes are spot-on, effort goes into mentioning all the books that have influenced him, and the references notes at the end provide the sources for stories he tells about other people and any cited studies or facts. A bit more care could have gone into the editing, and I found the sudden jump from the last line of a chapter into a recipe quite jarring. I think it could have been better separated by a more distinct visual presentation between the two. But these details don't detract from a satisfying reading experience. Highly recommended for any runner of any distance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for trail runners!, July 12 2012
Scott Jurek was open and honest about his motivations, his life, his dreams ... and his recipes. I loved getting into this man's mind. What a fascinating person. At the end of each chapter, he has advice, tips and vegan recipes. I have tried 2 of his recipes - the strawberry pancakes and the lentil-mushroom burgers - both were a HUGE hit in my house. (I have 2 young kids, so this was amazing). I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know about the foundations of ultra marathons and trail running. This guy is the real deal. Oh, and if you're an athlete who's considering trying out a vegan diet - Scott is a huge inspiration for that as well. The man won several 100 Mile races on a vegan diet!!!
'

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, very inspiring story, May 12 2013
I didn't know about Scott Jurek until I read this book. His honesty is truly refreshing. His stoy is not embellished, he wrote about the good the bad ugly, from growing up to his adulthood and finding his passion for running.
I'm really not good at writing reviews. Just do yourselves a favor and buy this book. You will not regret.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes, You Just Do Things!, June 12 2012
Warren Green (Peterborough Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Scott Jurek's guiding ethic, and the title of my review, was very likely given to him by his father at a very young age. His early life was largely marked by a type of adversity that likely prepared him well for the extreme endurance events he would conquer. His upbring and personal life were not been easy, and he definitely comes across as being wide open and honest about it.

I briefly met Scott Jurek at the Seattle Running Company in the summer of 2004. A year earlier, he'd been profiled in a well known running magazine, after winning the Western States 100 mile trail race four years in a row, on a completely plant-based vegan diet.

I remember looking at his finishing times that were posted in the magazine, and he just kept getting stronger and faster with every passing year. So in September of 2003, at age 45, I decided I needed to pay more attention to the stuff I was eating.

Eat and Run gives some interesting insights into a relatively small group of endurance athletes who somehow feel compelled to run long distances over sometimes very arduous terrain, and often through very inhospitable weather conditions. In this book, Scott has included recipes and training tips at the end of each chapter.

For another kindred spirit whose tested his limits while eating only plants, check out [[ASIN:0307952193 Finding Ultra: Rejecting Middle Age, Becoming One of the World's Fittest Men, and Discovering Myself],]

The parallels between Scott Jurek's and Rich Roll's lives are striking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read about the WHY of running, Dec 25 2013
This review is from: Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness (Kindle Edition)
I picked up this book after reading Christopher McDougall's Born to Run and Rich Roll's Finding Ultra. Scott Jurek recounts some of his childhood experiences and relationships that helped forge his love of running. His stories about a variety of his races, the challenges he faced and overcame, the challenges he couldn't best, are valuable if you want to get inside the head of someone who has dedicated a good deal of his time and resources to pursuing a career as an ultramarathonist. The book's shortcomings lie in the constant repetition of his pearls of wisdom, which are mostly one or two ideas repeated continuously throughout the book. A book half as long would have been better, but it's still worth a read.

4.0 out of 5 stars invigorating read!, Aug. 7 2013
I read this book not having much expectations. Ended up reading it in only a few days (although english is not my first language), trying many of the recipes in the following days with sheer delight and started walking to work (20 km) once or twice a week;
sure was a life changing experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars Eat and Run: My Unlikely Journey to Ultramarathon Greatness, Jan. 9 2013
It was a gift and he loved the book. It was very inspirational for anyone who wants to use food and exercise to improve endurance.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring, March 8 2014
Thank you Scott for sharing your life with us. We may not all have ultramarathoning on our path in life,
but your book inspires us to pursue our passions.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring book, Jan. 19 2014
I liked the personal style, and how he connected it to lessons from his childhood. Great inspiration for any challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring!, Jan. 10 2014
If you want an inspiring book to help you keeping your new year resolutions, read this book! Scott Jurek is an incredible athlete and a great human being. This book is a most for every runner and person who wants to achieve the impossible.

ARRAY(0xba556f6c)