Published on June 1 2012 by Kieseyhow

Published 5 months ago by David Wade

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital Wd Tv Live, excellent product, two concerns, and it has extra features not mentioned in the specs., June 1 2012
Kieseyhow (Hawkesbury, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I am more than pleased with this product. It has a truly amazing list of features and the performance, even streaming a 10Gb BluRay movie over a network is flawless. The device also automatically re-sizes the video to fit whatever size screen or resolution your TV is operating on. However, I do have merely two concerns. The device runs very hot. I have a long history of working with, and repairing electronics and computers, and this device runs above a recommended safe temperature for a long life. I STRONGLY suggest you find a way to mount it vertically somehow and raise it on a small rack of metal screen. I am sure if you look around at the local dollar store, you will find a suitable stand to allow it more air. If you are the adventurous type, I suggest drilling extra cooling holes in the case, or having a professional do the same (This will obviously void the warranty) The second concern I have is that if your media library is excessive, and you use the library feature (unnecessary in my opinion) you will experience long pauses where the device seems to freeze as it tries yp update and maintain a current database of media files. I simply disabled the live media library feature and that freezing problem completely disappeared. This device has features that the website and the manual do not even mention. I was constantly surprised at the level of quality of the media playback capability, the connectivity and how it "just works" when presented with a wide variety of media formats and storage configurations. You can also use this as a media server, as a network storage device, and as a highly effective means to watch Internet content from an ever expanding list of sources. Make sure you do an hardware update after you set it up as that added about a dozen extra online sources and even flash games online that you can play using the well-designed remote. It is well worth the money, it would even be worth double it's cost for the features you get. Be warned that unless you find a way to enhance the cooling of the device, it may not have a long life. I rate this a solid FIVE STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Streamer ---- Hands Down., Nov. 29 2012
Doug.F (Sudbury, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Media streamers are,imo, supposed to do two things. And do them well.
A. Stream from internet content providers such as Netflix, and
B. Play video and audio files(of whatever sort) that you may have on your local hard drives.

This little box does both of these things, and does both of them very well indeed. I have never had a major problem with anything that it does, nor found a file that it would not play, and one of the things that it does that almost nothing else can do is play MKV video files. BIG MKV files. Those of you who know which files these are will appreciate how important this ability is in any media streamer. WD Live plays these from attached USB hard drives with no hesitation or streaming errors, and the quality of playback is outstanding. Try to find something else for the price that does the same. Because you won't.
It also plays Netflix flawlessly and Netflix can have a great selection, if you know what you are doing with it.
As a bonus, this device can and does play files located on your networked computers with a minimal amount of effort and set-up.

I have the a wired ethernet setup with modem and it works very well. Using wireless for intensive streaming is as anyone should know a dubious proposition, so I can't honestly recommend it. It's unfair to blame the box for the inherent problems of the technique.

I honestly can't understand those reviewers who have had problems with this unit. If you are not doing anything 'odd', this thing should be the greatest thing since sliced bread for 99.9 of potential users.
Seriously it's a big bang for quite a little buck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, April 19 2012
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This Wd Tv is almost perfect. There is only one missing feature: you can't set a VPN or Proxy in the network settings :(

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I ever bought, March 26 2013
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
we use this handy device to watch videos from the flash drive, and to stream netflix and youtube to our tv set. Great product, worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars WDTV, April 2 2012
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Great little product. Watch Netflix, play youtube videos, pics and files off computer via wireless network. Setup was easy and has several different ways to plug in to your system so will work on just about any setup no matter what you have. Shipment arrived in about a week after ordering so was pleased with that as well. Would highly recommend this product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gets the job done, but there are far superior products out around the same price, March 6 2014
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I ordered this thing after reading countless reviews praising it's performance and ability to recognize different kinds of media. It does a decent job of that, as I've thrown just about every kind of media at it and it's played it all fairly well. The problems are that it randomly freezes or locks up, sometimes during a movie, sometimes while idle. It also has a HUGE problem reading large amounts of media, especially if you're trying to do so via a network connection (wired or wireless). Even if you're hooking up a portable HDD it'll take a very long time reading it if the drive is full of media (1TB seems to be a struggle). You turn the thing off, or lose power and guess what? The reading will have to happen all over again...yay! :(

Oh and if you're thinking of using the Android app as a remote control for it, you may not want to update the firmware as that seems to completely break the app. (It's been a few months now since my firmware update and the app just stopped working...no app update from developers as they seem to have abandoned the product entirely.

I'd say overall, this thing has been decent, but a HUGE headache with all the slow wait times to read media, the persistent freezes and lockups, and the Android app abandonment by devs...I also really dislike having to get up and manually unplug a product that seems to randomly freeze for no apparent reason.

Honestly, there are MUCH better products out for around the same price or a few bucks more so unless you're on an absolutely strict budget and can't spend $50 bucks or so more, then I'd look elsewhere if I were you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Media Centre, Jan. 18 2013
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This little box is amazing I have two 1 TB drives attached to it with all sorts of movies tv shows and music of varying formats and it plays the hell out of them. Using a universal remote as well which works great. Couldent live without this box.

Only Negative is the internet connection when streaming from my computer in the next room (wireless so this could be the fault of my router) is a little dodgy and works well some days and not others.

1.0 out of 5 stars not good at all, Feb. 23 2013
Dan B (Montreal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I figured I would give WD a try since I've been a longtime user of their hard-drives. I expected the same quality, big mistake.

First of all, unlike the ASUS media player I used to have, this unit takes a long time to boot up and does not detect all of the hard-drives on my network. I was willing to let this slide, but after a few days, it started saying something along the lines of : ''cannot write data to external storage'', and proceeded to stop detecting all of the media on my WD external hard drive. I tried several solutions (one was clearing the media library), which resolved the problem for a few days. Then the same problem came back. I perused several forums and found out this was a common problem. I'm sending this unit back and buying another ASUS media player.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, March 27 2014
M. Forsythe "woot" (Vancouver, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Interface, simple. Firmware updated regularly. Plays, everything. Supports my 3 TB external WD harddrive. Streams fine. Supports keyboard and mouse BT or wired.

The ONLY complaint, the browsing is not as snappy as it should be. It's slow.

Go on the WD forums, find the Titan theme, you should be happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great problem solver, April 4 2013
Michael Gracewood "Glory Guy" (Nova Scotia, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Excellent addition to my home theatre. My Yamaha receiver wouldn't allow video streaming from my network. The WD TV Live in combination with a huge network storage device satisfies all of my current and future requirements. Great product.

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player