Published on June 1 2012 by Kieseyhow

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty
Published 22 months ago by Jonathan M. Katz

5.0 out of 5 stars Western Digital Wd Tv Live, excellent product, two concerns, and it has extra features not mentioned in the specs., June 1 2012
Kieseyhow (Hawkesbury, Ontario) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
I am more than pleased with this product. It has a truly amazing list of features and the performance, even streaming a 10Gb BluRay movie over a network is flawless. The device also automatically re-sizes the video to fit whatever size screen or resolution your TV is operating on. However, I do have merely two concerns. The device runs very hot. I have a long history of working with, and repairing electronics and computers, and this device runs above a recommended safe temperature for a long life. I STRONGLY suggest you find a way to mount it vertically somehow and raise it on a small rack of metal screen. I am sure if you look around at the local dollar store, you will find a suitable stand to allow it more air. If you are the adventurous type, I suggest drilling extra cooling holes in the case, or having a professional do the same (This will obviously void the warranty) The second concern I have is that if your media library is excessive, and you use the library feature (unnecessary in my opinion) you will experience long pauses where the device seems to freeze as it tries yp update and maintain a current database of media files. I simply disabled the live media library feature and that freezing problem completely disappeared. This device has features that the website and the manual do not even mention. I was constantly surprised at the level of quality of the media playback capability, the connectivity and how it "just works" when presented with a wide variety of media formats and storage configurations. You can also use this as a media server, as a network storage device, and as a highly effective means to watch Internet content from an ever expanding list of sources. Make sure you do an hardware update after you set it up as that added about a dozen extra online sources and even flash games online that you can play using the well-designed remote. It is well worth the money, it would even be worth double it's cost for the features you get. Be warned that unless you find a way to enhance the cooling of the device, it may not have a long life. I rate this a solid FIVE STARS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Streamer ---- Hands Down., Nov. 29 2012
Doug.F (Sudbury, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Media streamers are,imo, supposed to do two things. And do them well.
A. Stream from internet content providers such as Netflix, and
B. Play video and audio files(of whatever sort) that you may have on your local hard drives.

This little box does both of these things, and does both of them very well indeed. I have never had a major problem with anything that it does, nor found a file that it would not play, and one of the things that it does that almost nothing else can do is play MKV video files. BIG MKV files. Those of you who know which files these are will appreciate how important this ability is in any media streamer. WD Live plays these from attached USB hard drives with no hesitation or streaming errors, and the quality of playback is outstanding. Try to find something else for the price that does the same. Because you won't.
It also plays Netflix flawlessly and Netflix can have a great selection, if you know what you are doing with it.
As a bonus, this device can and does play files located on your networked computers with a minimal amount of effort and set-up.

I have the a wired ethernet setup with modem and it works very well. Using wireless for intensive streaming is as anyone should know a dubious proposition, so I can't honestly recommend it. It's unfair to blame the box for the inherent problems of the technique.

I honestly can't understand those reviewers who have had problems with this unit. If you are not doing anything 'odd', this thing should be the greatest thing since sliced bread for 99.9 of potential users.
Seriously it's a big bang for quite a little buck.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, April 19 2012
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This Wd Tv is almost perfect. There is only one missing feature: you can't set a VPN or Proxy in the network settings :(

1.0 out of 5 stars Nasty, Feb. 6 2013
Jonathan M. Katz (Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
There's watching paint dry, slow...There's watching linoleum curl, slow...and then there's WD live tv, slow. Unbelievably slow. I first turn the machine on, and try to setup my wifi. It took 11 minutes to connect. So I want to access the files on my computer, I'm waiting, waiting, 20 minutes later the screen turns black. I'm thinking, did it freeze? screen saver? The remote doesn't do anything, waited another 5 minutes, then just unplugged it to try again. Tried 3 more times, same thing, just freezes after loading for 20+ minutes. I was never able to access my files. So I figure I'll try watching some movies on a USB stick. Was fine, until halfway through it starts buffering, and then...freezes again. I unplugged it, stuck it back in the box, and returned it. What a waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars best thing I ever bought, March 26 2013
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
we use this handy device to watch videos from the flash drive, and to stream netflix and youtube to our tv set. Great product, worth every penny

5.0 out of 5 stars WDTV, April 2 2012
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Great little product. Watch Netflix, play youtube videos, pics and files off computer via wireless network. Setup was easy and has several different ways to plug in to your system so will work on just about any setup no matter what you have. Shipment arrived in about a week after ordering so was pleased with that as well. Would highly recommend this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars This player was probably hands down the best media streamer perhaps up to 2012/2013 with no real ..., Nov. 30 2014
A. Albert (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Long time user here- WD TV owner from (HD to Live version 2010-2012)

Behind its time.

This player was probably hands down the best media streamer perhaps up to 2012/2013 with no real competition. It simply allows your organize and play your media from NAS / Computer via DLNA technology. The interface is always buggy but it did the job.

Fast forward to 2014 - WD TV Live is now the inferior choice compared to other streamers notably Roku (with Plex capability). At last you don't have to deal with connectivity issue, streaming issue, network undetected issue, stuttering issues, setting up issues. Now that I've transitioned to Plex, I can never ever go back to WD platform.

WD - you had an enormous advantage once but now all that is gone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Media Centre, Jan. 18 2013
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This little box is amazing I have two 1 TB drives attached to it with all sorts of movies tv shows and music of varying formats and it plays the hell out of them. Using a universal remote as well which works great. Couldent live without this box.

Only Negative is the internet connection when streaming from my computer in the next room (wireless so this could be the fault of my router) is a little dodgy and works well some days and not others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well, if it works..., Nov. 27 2014
Rob van Halen (Calgary, Canada) - See all my reviews
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
This player works well, if it works. It plays pretty much all video types, supports multiple audio tracks and subtitles. I mainly use it for playing video files and therefore can't say anything about the streaming capabilities.
What's great about the unit is the idea of the media library. If for example you have TV series on a hard drive you can download episode infos and pictures from websites live TVDB and the player will show those in the list of episodes, as you browse your library. If the player is connected to the internet through wifi it can also download media info or ratings.
However, here are the problems I've been having with this player:
- sometimes playback gets choppy all of a sudden, so you have to stop it and resume to solve the problem.
- If you switch off the player by simply pressing the remote button once, it's not really off, but actually on standby. The unit gets hot after a while, even though it's not running. When you need it again it starts up quickly, but sometimes gives me errors with the media library and/or is unable to play any video files. I had to sometimes unplug it, plug it again and then wait for about two minutes for the unit to start up again. Even then sometimes there is a problem with the unit not recognizing media or simply refusing to start playback. Sometimes only frequent restarts help. After contacting WD support I learned that you should completely shut down the unit by keeping the on/off button on the remote pressed for several seconds. Alternatively, unplug the unit, but it takes a while to start up again.
- If you use the media library and have pictures for all video files navigation is often slow. I found that a unit reset sped things up considerably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small flaws don't hinder a great product, Sept. 15 2014
Ce commentaire est de: WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (Electronics)
Bought this for my family's main TV. I stream movies and shows to it from my WD My Cloud, and it works flawlessly. I don't really use it to browse pictures or watch live TV, or anything else besides its video capabilities, but that's really all I ask of it. The remote control is nice to hold and the buttons are laid out really well. The on-screen menus are quite nice, though I think I prefer the design of Sony's Playstations and Sony TVs better.

All that said, there are a couple gripes. First, the response is sometimes a little laggy, after you push a button on the remote. It's not a huge deal, but obviously, you expect to breeze through menus quite quickly. Second, there doesn't seem to be a combined overview of files from multiple sources. For example, I have the aforementioned My Cloud NAS on the network and sometimes I also plug in an external hard drive directly to the WD TV Live. But I can't view all the movies in one big list - you can only view it per source. That means you actually have to remember where you saved a file, which is not a huge deal, but can make searching for a particular film a bit of a chore. I'd prefer to have one big list of all movie files (and other categories) from every attached source.

WD TV Live Streaming Media Player