4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait
Ever since the end of season one on DVD I have been waiting for the release of season 2 of Downton Abbey. I think every review I read was more negative than positive so I was prepared to be disappointed. Sometimes I regretted having preordered season 2. Then on Thursday evening late season 2 arrived. Now, less than 48 hours later, I am longing for season 3.

I...
Published on Feb. 11 2012 by P. Halliday

3.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey Season 2
We enjoy the series, my disappointment is that two of the DVD became stuck and we had to skip parts of the program. I tried to clean without success. I would not buy online again for this reason.
Published 14 months ago by John Hindson

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Wait, Feb. 11 2012
P. Halliday "evensong" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)

I enjoyed the development of the story lines carried over from season one. Trying to tell a story with so many characters is a daunting task. And most probably terribly expensive. I have always regretted only one season of Berkeley Square, a series about the same time in history, with just as huge a cast of characters. Maybe the huge success of Downton Abbey will revive Berkeley Square, just as the Abbey has awakened nostalgia for all things Edwardian, including clothing styles.

I appreciated the softening of some characters and the hardening of others. For me, the process of personal change and cultural change is most interesting. Sybil's enthusiasm, impulsivity, is tempered by hard work over time, and leads her to strong convictions based on her own experience. Edith is rewarded from time to time for her devotion to others, but one still wonders why she is so pliable, so willing to seek a place to belong. Are there people who come into the world incomplete unless they have a place to lavish their love? And Mary; she is strong, aware of her peers and what is expected of her, but even when she takes the road always travelled, she does it in her own way.

In my opinion, the acting during season 2 is better than season one. Yes, there are a couple of places where reality leaves and people sing like in old time movies, but this is a movie of a bye gone era so I think it has the right to not only have historical content but historical style. And although one could say that Downton Abbey is no place to learn history, even the Bible says to tickle the baby's palate with honey to get him or her to eat solid food.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a series!, Feb. 28 2012
debby "mystery lover" (Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
My husband and I were glued to Season One and Season Two on Masterpiece Theatre so we naturally wanted the series for our collection at home. It is just fantastic! The acting is superb; the costumes wonderful and the setting is magnificant. The various plot threads are well done (sometimes moving along a bit quickly while others - Bates and Anna - going more slowly). We both thoroughly enjoyed every minute and now must wait patiently but eagerly for Season Three. I hope this Series never ends and would highly recommend the DVDs for anyone who wants to enjoy a trip down memory lane during the last days of British rule and splendour. It is pure fun, escapism, humour, tragedy and an exceptionally good historical re-creation and of course wonderfully entertaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Outstanding Period Drama, July 9 2012
Brett H "pentangle" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
(#1 HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
The greatly anticipated second series of Downton Abbey picks up two years on from the first series in 1916, in the middle of World War 1. Downton Abbey has been converted into a convalescent home for injured servicemen and the action covers the period from the Battle of the Somme up to the end of the war. As in the first series, topical events of the period, political, economic and military are covered.

The wartime scenario and the convalescent home setting provide an excellent background for some interesting story lines. The combination of excellent plot lines, great acting and the superb setting display all that is best in TV period drama. This time round we have eight more episodes to add to the seven in the first series. As befits wartime, the costumes are not as flamboyant as in the first series but they are thoroughly researched and appropriate to the period.

There continue to be many superb individual performances but mention must be made of Maggie Smith. What a stroke of genius to cast her as Violet. She dominates every scene she appears in and often has some very funny lines.

This DVD includes the Downton Abbey 2 hour Christmas Special which is probably the single best episode of Downton Abbey to date. High drama here with a cliffhanging murder trial as well as the usual romance, drama, betrayal etc one would expect!

The UK has a long tradition of producing fine period dramas and this is the most successful since the early 1980s when NEW Brideshead Revisited - Brideshead Revisited (director (Blu-ray) took the world by storm. Peak viewing figures in the UK are 11m which is an astounding number for that market. It is pleasing to learn that a third series is already planned and we now know that this will cover an 18 month period from 1920 to 1921. This one is likely to run and run and I would not be surprised to see Downton Abbey continuing up to the 1930s eventually.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time watching embedded commercials on TV, BUY THIS DVD!, April 15 2012
Juan de la Cruz (Toronto, ON, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
This DVD of Downton Abbey Second Season is the Complete Version. It includes the all-important Christmas Episode. Don't hesitate, buy it NOW! Stop wasting your time watching episodes on TV and suffering through all of the intervening commercials. You should know by now that the commercials put together take MORE time than the episode itself.

This DVD is absolutely a great buy! There's is one down side: The 3rd Season episodes won't be available until later this year. What do you when you've finished watching all of the 2nd Season episodes?

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved the 2nd season, April 12 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
Watched the whole first season in a weekend and couldn't wait to get my hands on the second season.
Watched it in 3 days over 3 evenings. It's the only way to watch this series as you can't wait until the next episode.
I loved how they interwove the story of Downton with the war and the varying impacts on everyone. All 3 daughters reacted in different ways as well as the Mother and Father. It was equally balanced with "downstairs" and the goings on with all your favourites. I can not wait until Season 3!

5.0 out of 5 stars To bad I can't give it 6 or 7 stars, April 27 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
I am a big fan of Downton Abbey. This is the perfect british serie. Love all the charaters. There is a lite comic releve once in a while. Can wait for january 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey - The Complete Second Season (Original U.K. Unedited Edition), April 10 2012
Steve Walsh (Cardston, Alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
If you enjoyed the first series, you will love this one. It is set during the 1st World War. The family and staff see huge changes and upheaval that have permanent repercussions for all. There are a few interesting twists to keep you wanting to watch the entire series in one sitting. Even if you saw the TV series, the special two + hour Christmas at Downton Abbey segment, at the end of the series, (not shown with the TV series - I believe), still makes buying this well worth it. Looking forward to the third season!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked!, April 27 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
This is an amazing series, well done and so addictive! There is a group of us who get together to watch this, and we so look forward to each new episode. After seeing season one, one has to go on to season two, and I hear there will be more - can't hardly wait! The acting, sets, period clothing and plot are all excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Most superb production of its kind., April 1 2012
Marc Fortier "Marcorelli" (Beloeil Quebec Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
The title of this review says it all : SUPERB ! A must !
Just the same for Season One.
Marc Fortier

5.0 out of 5 stars Downton Abbey, March 24 2012
This review is from: Downton Abbey Season 2 (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece) (DVD)
I just love this series. The cast is great, along with the costumes and story line. I cannot wait for the 3rd series to begin

ARRAY(0xa798d1bc)

Downton Abbey Season 2  (U.K. Edition) (Masterpiece)
CDN$ 47.99 CDN$ 29.97