Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage giftguide Countdown to Black Friday in Home & Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 18, 2011
If all you want are the films in blu-ray format, then this is the collection for you.
If you want a stunning box, creative presentation, and extra features for the films, you will be sorely disappointed.

Before running away, ask yourself this: how often do you watch all the extended extra features of movies you buy?
If the answer is "always" or "most of the time" then run run run.
If the answer is "never" then click purchase.
on December 12, 2011
Thanks for the early reviews who recommended Amazon UK, you are awesome!

As for the product, the picture quality of the blu-ray is superb, it really shows how well made the movies were. I did find the volume to be lower than other movies, really have to turn it up. One review claimed you only get one disc for each movie, making the assumption that all the extras are excluded. This is not true as the extras are packed onto the disc for the first few movies, and for the last three, there are actually two discs.
on January 28, 2013
This is all I need, as I am a harry potter fan, but not a die hard, All I wanted was the movies on Blu Ray, and that's what this is, It's a reasonable Price for the whole collection.

HD Picture Quality is perfect 5/5

Surround Sound is great 5/5

It's a nice scaled down box that holds all the discs together safely 5/5

The one Disc that still has "Disc 1 of 2" on it is just lazy on their part. 3/5

As far as owning just the blu ray of all the harry potter films goes, this is all you need, if you are a die hard and you want every little special feature, this isn't for you. Hope this helps.
on November 19, 2011
If you are a die-hard Harry Potter fan, do not buy this collection. All you get with this set is the first disc (disc 1) from each of the original blu ray releases of the films, literally. This is fine for the first five films/books (Stone, Chamber, Prisoner, Goblet, Phoenix) because they were only one disc to begin with, but HBP and DH 1/2 are only the first of the two discs you get in the individual releases. The publishers didn't even take the time to re-skin the discs to remove the "Disc 1" and "Movie" titles from their original placement in two-disc sets. I am not a massive HP fan but I love the films, so this isn't a huge bother to me as someone who just wants all of the films in blu ray, but this is a pretty disappointingly presented collection. To include the second disc for the last three films would not have pushed the total cost much over a reasonable limit and I was expecting to get either A) a COMPLETE collection including bonus discs or B) a newly published set of discs with uniquely arranged extra features befitting a slimmed down package. As it is, this collection is adequate but not satisfying. The case is nice. I like having all eight films in one small, plastic blu ray case with plastic clip inserts for pairs of discs. It's like a four-page book, double-sided, with all the films laid out in order. Too bad the finishing touches are a little cheap and disappointing. I almost recommend this set.
on March 22, 2013
It comes as described. There's nothing fancy about this box set, so if you want tons of extras then splurge and buy the collectors edition. Paid extra for express shipping and it arrived in a reasonable amount of time. One thing I love is that there is only one case. No struggling with 8 different cases and getting all mixed up.
on December 3, 2014
My children had scratched up all my Harry Potter movies in their younger years, so it was a great reason to upgrade to Blu-ray. Got the item on a deep discount. Very happy with it. The packaging is basic, and not overly bulky. There is no bonus features, and I didn't want that anyhow, so that was fine. The quality of the pictures is great. It would have been less lazy of the producers if they relabelled the discs properly.
on January 15, 2012
Waited for this to come out. I was not disappointed, it is a true work of art. The sound and picture is exquisite. Was lonely when the last credit finished, Harry wa all grown up and had familly of his own. Then I realized that I could revisit Harry and his friends any time I wanted, via the disc set.

Thanks to all who had a hand in the production. "IF YOU DIDN'T ENJOY, THEN YOU DIDN'T WATCH IT"

T.A. (Tom) Lalonde
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This complete 8 film set on Blu-Ray goes on sale occasionally on Amazon for about $40, making the cost of each film about $5. Technically speaking, there were 7 books and 7 films but the last book was made into 2 films. Each book/story shows another "year at school" for the child characters who themselves grow up throughout the series to become adult wizards.

The Blu-Rays look and sound excellent and is the way to own these films. For the value, I feel it is a 5-star collection. The Blu-Rays are also well-housed in a hard plastic book style case and there is also an outer cardboard cover which briefly explains the plot of each film.

You can spend more money buying the films individually in packages that include a lot more bonus materials, but I don't feel it's worth the extra money. This set also includes hours of bonus material, just not as much. Fans of the books may want it all though.

To be honest, I must admit that I've not read the books, so I cannot comment on how accurately the films adapt the books to the big screen. Also, I did not watch any of these movies until all the films were out on DVD to rent and then I rented and watched them all in order. It's best to watch these back to back, so you can see how details are dealt with from one film to the next. I bought this set recently and I'm re-watching the films in order and enjoying them again.

However, they are not all equally enjoyable. The first 2-3 are my favourites, as I like the on-screen chemistry between the trio of friends and there is more humour. As later films focus more on Potter, and a comical love interest sub-plot, I feel they are missing "something" and the pacing drags at times. It could also be that the producer's of the films change and the plot is becoming far more serious and less fun. That is why I deducted 1 star from my rating.

The films were all well done in terms of how they were filmed, special effects, etc. They are all big budget films and the shortest film is just over 2 hours. The films are well cast and it's great all the actors remained for all 8 films, which took about 12 years to make. That meant that some of the more established adult actors returned for very tiny roles in successive films, which rarely happens. It's a shame Richard Harris died in 2002 and had to be replaced as Dumbledorf, as I much preferred him in the role. It's also very neat to see the child actors grow up and yet maintain their characters so well/smoothly/evenly. TV actors can do this easily but it seldom works with film actors, who usually get years off between films. It helps that these films were done in close succession. It's also neat that none of the child actors grew up to be "messed up" fodder for the tabloids, and hopefully they will continue with successful acting careers. The child actors really did exceptional jobs, and it helps that they used a British cast and not a Hollywood one.

A warning to parents: I remember when these films and the books came out there were negative comments from Catholic church goers about the wizardry being something of a popularization of Satanism, and I didn't understand what all the fuss was about. After all, many children's tales contains witches and wizards. However these films, especially from the 3rd film onward are definitely too dark for children. The way some of the evils spells are depicted can really be scary (werewolves, demonic possession, etc.) and are not suitable for pre-teens, especially without adult supervision. The film makers' intention was that the young viewing audience would themselves age and therefore be more suitably mature to handle the darkness of each successive film.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 28, 2012
I have been wanting to pick this package up for over the last year. Just wanted to find it at the price they were selling it last cyber Monday. Since I have seen all eight films via my brothers collection I think I can comment on this. This is for people like me who only want the films. I very rarely ever watch bonus discs for movies and hate that in most cases I have to buy them. This set contains the eight movies on eight Blu rays. It comes in a nice solid Blu ray case that takes up about a 1/4 of what the space the regular editions would take in your collection. These are the same editions as the regular releases so you get the best possible version of the film. Down side is the discs do come from the other editions so the say things like disc I on the sixth movie of the series. I am fine with this if that's what saved me all that money from buying them individually. If these type of things don't sit well with you you should buy one of the other additions. But these films are classics and to get each movie for under ten bucks well let's just say I am more then happy.
on December 13, 2012
La serie est ecoeurante donc c'est un excellent achat. Haute definition, Emma watson, Son 5.1 tout est parfait. Seul bemol pas vraiment d'extra.