4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think
I saw the movie in the theatre and could not believe that there were only 3 other people in the theatre with us (6 in total). It is sad that the theatre going people don't want a movie that they actually have to think at. No, there were no car races and no death-match fighting scenes. And the only sex scene was only alluded to.

But what this movie did do, is it...
Published on Feb. 1 2012 by lanholm

2.0 out of 5 stars A good try
Published on April 5 2012 by Russ Crossley

4.0 out of 5 stars Makes you think, Feb. 1 2012
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)

But what this movie did do, is it made you think. In North America, we have not really had to deal with anything like that. Other than SARS - which I am very sorry to say was only a Toronto thing. Try asking a mid-western Kansas City 20-30 year old what SARS is and they will not know. H1N1, a little more, but still not common knowledge.

This movie skirted the edge of the "never happens in my town". It made you wonder. Did I wash the chicken well enough for last night's dinner? Did I make sure that the apple I put in my daughters lunch today was clean and safe. Am I sure my spouse isn't sleeping with someone else?

Did I like this movie? Oh yea. Am I still thinking about this movie 7 months later? Believe it! Do I recommend this movie? Several times!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, May 16 2014
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Another GREAT movie ---would recommend to all who like action and drama. You will have to take my word I love it

4.0 out of 5 stars This is a generic contagion movie, Nov. 29 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Beth Emhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes home after night while living and debauchery. She coughs all over her family and people are starting to die right and left. Now it's up to the CDC to find out where the problem came from and if they can stop it before it wipes out civilization.

There are a lot of famous and infamous actors in this presentation for the most part we're rooting that they will make it to the end of the film. However there is the occasional character that you just waiting for him/or her to catch it.

Lots of books and lots of movies focus on the standard contagious disaster. In this one we were spared the evil done guy that doesn't listen to people or in general the defrocked scientist who turns out to be the only one that knows the true answer. Yeah there might've been a fraud tried to make a few million in the self-sacrificing individual to try to cut corners; but they are shadows of the exaggerated personalities most disaster movies. All in all it's quite intriguing to watch. There was not a lot of gratuitous vomiting. I'm not sure what their purpose of this movie was as there was nothing unique other than making another movie for people who like to watch disasters.

As you watch this presentation ask yourself what would you do in that situation?

5.0 out of 5 stars Contagion, March 2 2013
koolz03 - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
A very well made and highly engaging film about a contagious epidemic virus sweeping the world. I enjoyed all the performances from the leads especially from Matt Damon and Kate Winslet. Kinda a scary idea of something like this occurring in real life tomorrow and makes you ponder and think. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, Aug. 28 2014
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Awesome movie. Just don't want it if you're a germophobe or hypochondriac.

4.0 out of 5 stars A chilling look at what could happen, Nov. 23 2012
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Contagion (Bilingual) (DVD)
Contagion(released Sept/11)is a chilling look at what could happen when an unknown virus breaks out and the CDC and their worldwide counterparts do everything they can to stop it.The film stars Matt Damon as Mitch Emhoff,Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Ellis Cheever,Jude Law as Alan Krumwiede,Gwyneth Paltrow as Elizabeth "Beth" Emhoff,Kate Winslet as Dr. Erin Mears,Elliott Gould as Dr. Ian Sussman and many others.
The story starts with the players who contract a nasty virus of unknown origin,which spreads slowly throughout the world.As is always the case,third world countries get hit the hardest and quickest.We start our focus on Paltrow who is an American businesswoman on a trip to Hong Kong.She arrives home sick and she spreads it to her son.They both end up dying.The CDC gets involved and Fishburne,who is put in charge there,tries in vain,at the start,to put a lid on the quickly spreading disease.Gould,a doctor in San Fran,comes up with a promising cure route.In the meantime Law who is an internet blogger with many followers,is turning up his own heat on the entire scenario.He does not believe any of the explanations official are coming out with.In fact he himself comes down with the virus and through the use of a homeopathic remedy,cures himself,which goes largely unnoticed by the CDC.This inflames public opinion even more.He also is interviewed on national TV and accuses Fishburne of notifying his own family over the general populace.Fishburne then faces a hearing down the line into his conduct.
The CDC in the meantime is trying to trace ground zero of the virus.A WHO rep in Hong Kong is kidnapped and is held in a remote village.She is eventually exchanged in lieu of a batch of developed antibiotics later in the film.It turns out the batch is just placebos,useless.As the developed vaccine gets distributed,life starts to get back to normal for the world(until the next outbreak).As the film ends we see in flashback where the virus originated from.A bulldozer from Paltrows company knocked down a tree in which a bat was nesting.It bit into a piece of banana,which it in turn flew with and rested with on a beam in a farm shed,over top of some pigs.The banana dropped and the pigs digested it.The pigs in turn are shipped into the cities and one infected one arrives in the very restaurant Paltrow was in,in Hong Kong.
The film studies in detail how an organization such as the CDC operates,what protocols they use and how they become viral detectives,in search of an answer and a cure.They work in a logical and progressive manner,which to many would appear far too slow.As with many medical cures there are medical heroes,as there are here.The film doesn't just stop there,but shows the other side of the coin in the form of Law.He is an internet guru who many folks listen to and who slams the CDC and big pharma in general for being in cahoots.He cures himself and it is just left there.The director is giving as much latitude to the "official" side,as it is to the unofficial/internet.It also shows how our very own social and business structures slowly but surely break down as nurses and a myriad of union members stop working.This brings goods and material supplies to a halt,which in turn triggers hoarding and line ups.And of course this triggers small riots as people get less and less tolerant of others.It is certainly a riveting film which leaves one uncomfortable afterwards,as we see just how easy a virus can spread.But that was the goal of the director and writers,and they certainly achieved it here.
The film is in its w/s a/r of 1:78:1 and is clear and crisp.The only extra is a couple of minute cartoon-ish PSA announcement.
All in all a disturbing "realistic" look at the outbreak of an unknown virus and how the CDC and their world wide counterparts deal with such things.Throughout we are given a disturbing peak at ourselves and the straws we grasp for in times of turmoil.It isn't pretty,but it engages the viewer.Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A good try, April 5 2012
Russ Crossley "Rusty by the Sea" (Vancouver Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
With zombie films, end of the world stories, and real news about deadly viruses abounding Hollywood was bound to try a serious take with such a film. Too bad this is boring. I know they were trying to be suspenseful but the pace was just too slow. The actors are all very skilled and they did their best to portray the fear such a real life situation would entail. I applaud them. The film didn't work for me, but may work for others. I'd suggest seeing it and then decide for yourself.

If you want to see a film which has similar pacing, but really grips you, try 1959's On The Beach, a very frightening film about the aftermath of a nuclear war.

1.0 out of 5 stars Only interesting thing about the movie is the hazmat suit that Jude Law wears..., April 2 2012
S. K. L. Ip "Stephen" - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
Having surviving through the real SARS epidermic 10 years ago in HK, I was hoping Contagion would bring some perspectives to the world about something similar to what we have gone through. Instead, the movie is sloppy, boring, totally predictable (typically hollywood), emotionless, filled with unnecessary medical mumble-jumble and inaccurate locations. A village in HK with roof-less school and living quarters? Give me a break. The only thing I find interesting is the "space age" hazmat suit that Jude Law wears in the movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Blan No suspense, Feb. 27 2012
This review is from: Contagion (Bilingual) (DVD)
Not much happening in this movie. Most of the characters are not beleieveable.
Poor scripting. We couldn't wait for the end just so it would be over. Sorry

4.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars Good But Not Great, Jan. 3 2012
Stephen Bieth (Mississauga/ Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) (Blu-ray)
I saw this film in the theaters last summer. I went in expecting Omega man end of the world, last man standing but with brains. Well it wasn't what expected but I still liked it. With the same team that made the movie traffic we get more of that here. Lots of
Characters that follow multiple story lines that all give you pieces of the story. This is not an action movie (not that I ever thought it would be). It's totally dialog driven like traffic was. The cast is incredible and it looks like it was very well researched. Living in Toronto I saw a little bit of what an outbreak could be like when we had a SARS outbreak here. In that case there were only a handful of cases. Most isolated right away in certain hospitals. Some people died from contracting the virus but others died by trying to help those who were sick. But even with it contaned in Toronto our entertainment and tourism industry really took a hit. Concerts canceled because of insurance issues, etc. I am not saying the SARS outbreak was anything like what happens in the film I guess the point I am trying to make is even when it's contaned it still effects everything around it what is exactly what the film is about. How do things like this happen? What does the WHO or CDC (in the US) do to try and stop the stem of infection? How does the government deal with it? What do they tell or not tell the public? I don't want to give any of the story away but the last scene of the film is brilliant and it shows you how easily these things happen and spread.
On the down side the soundtrack is a little painful and I felt that they could have done a lot more with the story but it was one Hell of a lot better then "Outbreak" was that was made in the 90's. No helicopters chasing monkeys thru the forest or the leading lady being cured in the closing minutes of the film.
This is not as good as Traffic but I still feel it was a good film.

Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual)
Contagion [Blu-ray] (Bilingual) by Marion Cotillard (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 24.99 CDN$ 9.41