Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage SmartSaver Kitchen Kindle Black Friday Deals Week in Music SGG Tools

Format: Blu-rayChange

on November 2, 2015
Given the very mixed reviews on Amazon and in the media, I had low expectations of this film but one of the advantages of having family visit is that they bring DVD's that we wouldn't necessarily buy. In the case of Contagion, I'm glad they did. My preconceptions were of an unnecessary re-working of the excellent `Outbreak' with a modern big-name cast (although you can't get much bigger than Dustin Hoffman, Rene Russo & Morgan Freeman) to pull in the crowds.

Inasmuch as both films were about the pandemic spread of an infectious disease my prejudice was well founded but Contagion is a very different film. It is almost a documentary describing the mechanism of disease progression and while that sounds rather dull, the film is far from dull. Admittedly, there are no car chases, people getting shot or stuff going bang but the plot and little conspiracy sub-plot roll along at a consistently well managed pace, the cast & script are generally superb and the science is plausible. The only let-down is Jude Law's laughable caricature London accent (which is odd considering that he is a South London lad - it could easily have been Dick Van-Dyke it was that bad); it grated to the point of interrupting the narrative.

All-in-all, though, a thoroughly watch-able and intelligent film which stands up well to comparison with Outbreak.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 27, 2014
Watched Contagion for the first time.... and quickly washed my hands.

WHOA! This movie is outstanding. o.O

I wish I could redo the 2011 podcast we did, because this would have made the Top 10 for sure.

One of Soderbergh's best, for sure. Can't beat that cast.

Does for diseases what Traffic did for drugs.

It reminded me a lot of Children of Men and how THAT movie was a realistic depiction of the end of the world.

Contagion is similar in how I watch this movie and think "Yep.... that's how it'd happen."

This movie scared the s*** out of me. :)

This is one of those "scarier than a horror movie" kinda movies.

I mean there is some stuff in this movie that will make your skin @#$%ing CRAWL! It's a movie that makes you think about just how vulnerable you are to something like a flu.

Just simple close ups of a person touching a guard railing or a glass, no effects showing you germs, you just know they're there.

Anyway, I love this movie.

Cover your mouth when you cough, please.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 29, 2013
Beth Emhoff (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes home after night while living and debauchery. She coughs all over her family and people are starting to die right and left. Now it's up to the CDC to find out where the problem came from and if they can stop it before it wipes out civilization.

There are a lot of famous and infamous actors in this presentation for the most part we're rooting that they will make it to the end of the film. However there is the occasional character that you just waiting for him/or her to catch it.

Lots of books and lots of movies focus on the standard contagious disaster. In this one we were spared the evil done guy that doesn't listen to people or in general the defrocked scientist who turns out to be the only one that knows the true answer. Yeah there might've been a fraud tried to make a few million in the self-sacrificing individual to try to cut corners; but they are shadows of the exaggerated personalities most disaster movies. All in all it's quite intriguing to watch. There was not a lot of gratuitous vomiting. I'm not sure what their purpose of this movie was as there was nothing unique other than making another movie for people who like to watch disasters.

As you watch this presentation ask yourself what would you do in that situation?
on February 1, 2012
I saw the movie in the theatre and could not believe that there were only 3 other people in the theatre with us (6 in total). It is sad that the theatre going people don't want a movie that they actually have to think at. No, there were no car races and no death-match fighting scenes. And the only sex scene was only alluded to.

But what this movie did do, is it made you think. In North America, we have not really had to deal with anything like that. Other than SARS - which I am very sorry to say was only a Toronto thing. Try asking a mid-western Kansas City 20-30 year old what SARS is and they will not know. H1N1, a little more, but still not common knowledge.

This movie skirted the edge of the "never happens in my town". It made you wonder. Did I wash the chicken well enough for last night's dinner? Did I make sure that the apple I put in my daughters lunch today was clean and safe. Am I sure my spouse isn't sleeping with someone else?

Did I like this movie? Oh yea. Am I still thinking about this movie 7 months later? Believe it! Do I recommend this movie? Several times!
on March 2, 2013
A very well made and highly engaging film about a contagious epidemic virus sweeping the world. I enjoyed all the performances from the leads especially from Matt Damon and Kate Winslet. Kinda a scary idea of something like this occurring in real life tomorrow and makes you ponder and think. Highly recommended!
on May 16, 2014
Another GREAT movie ---would recommend to all who like action and drama. You will have to take my word I love it
TOP 100 REVIEWERon November 23, 2012
Contagion(released Sept/11)is a chilling look at what could happen when an unknown virus breaks out and the CDC and their worldwide counterparts do everything they can to stop it.The film stars Matt Damon as Mitch Emhoff,Laurence Fishburne as Dr. Ellis Cheever,Jude Law as Alan Krumwiede,Gwyneth Paltrow as Elizabeth "Beth" Emhoff,Kate Winslet as Dr. Erin Mears,Elliott Gould as Dr. Ian Sussman and many others.
The story starts with the players who contract a nasty virus of unknown origin,which spreads slowly throughout the world.As is always the case,third world countries get hit the hardest and quickest.We start our focus on Paltrow who is an American businesswoman on a trip to Hong Kong.She arrives home sick and she spreads it to her son.They both end up dying.The CDC gets involved and Fishburne,who is put in charge there,tries in vain,at the start,to put a lid on the quickly spreading disease.Gould,a doctor in San Fran,comes up with a promising cure route.In the meantime Law who is an internet blogger with many followers,is turning up his own heat on the entire scenario.He does not believe any of the explanations official are coming out with.In fact he himself comes down with the virus and through the use of a homeopathic remedy,cures himself,which goes largely unnoticed by the CDC.This inflames public opinion even more.He also is interviewed on national TV and accuses Fishburne of notifying his own family over the general populace.Fishburne then faces a hearing down the line into his conduct.
The CDC in the meantime is trying to trace ground zero of the virus.A WHO rep in Hong Kong is kidnapped and is held in a remote village.She is eventually exchanged in lieu of a batch of developed antibiotics later in the film.It turns out the batch is just placebos,useless.As the developed vaccine gets distributed,life starts to get back to normal for the world(until the next outbreak).As the film ends we see in flashback where the virus originated from.A bulldozer from Paltrows company knocked down a tree in which a bat was nesting.It bit into a piece of banana,which it in turn flew with and rested with on a beam in a farm shed,over top of some pigs.The banana dropped and the pigs digested it.The pigs in turn are shipped into the cities and one infected one arrives in the very restaurant Paltrow was in,in Hong Kong.
The film studies in detail how an organization such as the CDC operates,what protocols they use and how they become viral detectives,in search of an answer and a cure.They work in a logical and progressive manner,which to many would appear far too slow.As with many medical cures there are medical heroes,as there are here.The film doesn't just stop there,but shows the other side of the coin in the form of Law.He is an internet guru who many folks listen to and who slams the CDC and big pharma in general for being in cahoots.He cures himself and it is just left there.The director is giving as much latitude to the "official" side,as it is to the unofficial/internet.It also shows how our very own social and business structures slowly but surely break down as nurses and a myriad of union members stop working.This brings goods and material supplies to a halt,which in turn triggers hoarding and line ups.And of course this triggers small riots as people get less and less tolerant of others.It is certainly a riveting film which leaves one uncomfortable afterwards,as we see just how easy a virus can spread.But that was the goal of the director and writers,and they certainly achieved it here.
The film is in its w/s a/r of 1:78:1 and is clear and crisp.The only extra is a couple of minute cartoon-ish PSA announcement.
All in all a disturbing "realistic" look at the outbreak of an unknown virus and how the CDC and their world wide counterparts deal with such things.Throughout we are given a disturbing peak at ourselves and the straws we grasp for in times of turmoil.It isn't pretty,but it engages the viewer.Recommended.
on August 28, 2014
Awesome movie. Just don't want it if you're a germophobe or hypochondriac.
on July 21, 2013
Now if this movie is trying to scare the heck out of you they really did a piss "pore"[get it"]
ass job of it,what a waste of talent from some very talented Actors,my goodness it was the
most lame attempt of delivering a post-apocalyptic virus scenario i've ever seen,now i've
seen lots of these type of movies from [Doomsday] to [28 Days Later] to [Breakout] and my
god those were way Better movies than this Crap,there was no tension no drama no nothing,
all they had was one woman who did not believe a word what they were telling them,maybe if she
had gotten sick just to teach her ass a lesson that would be good,i see this in a lot of movies and
it's getting so redundant and tiring,i just wish there is some Director out there with ba*** to be different,
it's like with some movies when it starts,then you see the actor in bed with a woman she gets up
then he wakes,either she's naked err he's late to go somewhere,my god talk about redundancies,
is there any-body out there,i sound like Pink-Floyd,or Scully & Moulder,X-Files for any-one who don't know.
you know it's always been said people are their own worst enemy,remember when the year 2000 was
upon us every one was afraid and stacking up on water,need i say more..
THIS is in no way a negative response to the cause of the SARS epidemic,which killed a lot of people,
which was very very sad.
Very Dull Attempt To Make You Believe..
Runtime 106 Minutes.
5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio.
1.85:1 1080p High Definition.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon January 3, 2012
I saw this film in the theaters last summer. I went in expecting Omega man end of the world, last man standing but with brains. Well it wasn't what expected but I still liked it. With the same team that made the movie traffic we get more of that here. Lots of
Characters that follow multiple story lines that all give you pieces of the story. This is not an action movie (not that I ever thought it would be). It's totally dialog driven like traffic was. The cast is incredible and it looks like it was very well researched. Living in Toronto I saw a little bit of what an outbreak could be like when we had a SARS outbreak here. In that case there were only a handful of cases. Most isolated right away in certain hospitals. Some people died from contracting the virus but others died by trying to help those who were sick. But even with it contaned in Toronto our entertainment and tourism industry really took a hit. Concerts canceled because of insurance issues, etc. I am not saying the SARS outbreak was anything like what happens in the film I guess the point I am trying to make is even when it's contaned it still effects everything around it what is exactly what the film is about. How do things like this happen? What does the WHO or CDC (in the US) do to try and stop the stem of infection? How does the government deal with it? What do they tell or not tell the public? I don't want to give any of the story away but the last scene of the film is brilliant and it shows you how easily these things happen and spread.
On the down side the soundtrack is a little painful and I felt that they could have done a lot more with the story but it was one Hell of a lot better then "Outbreak" was that was made in the 90's. No helicopters chasing monkeys thru the forest or the leading lady being cured in the closing minutes of the film.
This is not as good as Traffic but I still feel it was a good film.