5.0 out of 5 stars The little dolphin that could.
Published on Oct. 15 2011 by Cynthia Danute Cekauskas, LCSW

3.0 out of 5 stars Should have been better
Sawyer (Nathan Gamble), a depressed and withdrawn 11-year old, helps rescue a dolphin who washed ashore after being injured in a crab trap. The dolphin is nursed back to health at a marine animal rescue hospital, but an infection results in the loss of her tail. Without a tail, she swims awkwardly, which could permanently damage her spine. Can she be saved in...
Published on Jan. 20 2012 by Kona

5.0 out of 5 stars The little dolphin that could., Oct. 15 2011
Cynthia Danute Cekauskas, LCSW "Lithuanian Am... (Savannah, Georgia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
This is a truly BEAUTIFUL movie my husband and I went to see just this evening. It is based on the true story of a dolphin washed up on shore who lost its tail and almost lost its life. It is also about the love affair of a young boy and a sea animal he bonded with and would not give up on. I have never seen a movie that made me cry, made me laugh and made feel SO GOOD I went to see it all at the same time. The underwater photography in several parts of the movie is incredible. You FEEL like you are under the water with "Winter" the disabled dolphin and her young rescuer. The acting is superb, the characters believable and the story line sublime. I just can't get over how much I enjoyed this movie. I am a social worker by profession and a caring human being by nature and to see this incredible animal inspire young children and disabled veterans of war was one of the most moving experiences I have EVER had in my fifty-seven years of life. Go see it, purchase the DVD and enjoy for yourself. You will NOT regret it! It will stay with you for the rest of your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer tale. Winter's tail., Dec 16 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME)
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
A whale of a tale, but not a tale of a whale. Based on a true story, Dolphin Tale relates the story of real dolphin named Winter, and a young boy named Sawyer who rescues him when his tail gets caught in a lobster trap. It follows somewhat in the tradition of Flipper, and Free Willy.

As the movie begins Sawyer is a withdrawn 12 year old. As the movie progresses we understand why.

At a going away party for his cousin, a soldier and former swimming champion Kyle, Sawyer would rather be alone in the garage indulging a hobby than out swimming. His cousin encourages him to be more social.

When he rescues the dolphin he meets a young girl named Hazel. Ultimately, the encounter awakens in him a curiosity, and a purpose, and the dolphin and he form a special bond. He helps to heal the dolphin, and the dolphin helps to heal him, and you can see how he becomes more confident and outgoing. In his quest to help Winter, he encounters a prosthetic maker played by Morgan Freeman, and when the dolphin loses his tale finds ways to fashion a new prosthetic one. I must admit that I thought at times I was watching a special effects dolphin, but it turns out that it was the real dolphin, which added even more to the experience.

Along the way there are many adventures, and twists and turns, which bring heartwarming moments, and gripping and inspiring moments. When his cousin returns from war, he too is withdrawn. Kyle encourages him to be more social. Ultimately, anyone who comes in contact with Winter becomes inspired, and that includes the viewer, and a territorial pelican provides many moments of comic relief.

I consider this an outstanding movie, sure to be enjoyed by the whole family, not just for the children.

I particularly liked how whatever happened, the children were able to be proactive, and solve whatever problem came up. This included fundraising to save the dolphin, and quite creative and resourceful solutions. Undoubtedly, this will inspire many children to be the same way, and think and act for themselves. The real dolphin encouraged real people to overcome their perceived limitations.

The movie has a great cast of established stars including Ashley Judd, who was inpsired by the script, and really wanted to be part of it, Harry Connick Jr, and Kris Kristofferson. The movie belongs to the kids, with great central performances by Nathan Gamble as Sawyer and Cozy Z as Hazel.

So, ultimately whether it's a real tail, a prosthetic tail, or no tail, if you're like me, Winter's Tale will inspire you.

I think you will love it, and I hope this review was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars DVD, June 13 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
I have always loved Dolphins and my dream is to swim with them someday. It is a very well done movie. A good movie for kids to watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolphin Tale - Great family movie, May 9 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Totally enjoyed it. I would recommend it to any family. Gives opportunity to parents to teach and discuss important lessons to their children like perseverance, ingenuity, adaptability, etc. Based on a real story and it enhances love and respect for dolphins and creatures in general.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolphin Tale movie with french version, April 22 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Very great movie for anyone who likes animal rescue strories. My daughter and I really enjoyed watching this true tale; finally something positive in a world that is too often sad...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dolphin Tale, Jan. 29 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Mon fils et moi qui aimons les dauphins avons beaucoup aimé ce film car il enseigne l'amour des animaux. Le DVD a été reçu en excellent état. Merci beaucoup!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great true story, Jan. 27 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Another wonderful movie for the whole family and based on a true story. Show the special connection that some people can have with animals .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, Jan. 7 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale / Histoire au dauphin (Bilingual) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
My 5 year old daughter has watched this movie over and over again. It is a real "feel good" family movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars My kids adore this movie, Jan. 6 2014
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Great little movie for kids. They really love watching Dolphin Tale; it's a fun little family movie! They love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleased to Own., July 1 2013
This review is from: Dolphin Tale (Bilingual) (DVD)
Again, the delivery was very prompt and the jacket in excellent condition, well-kept. I enjoyed this movie so much watching humans almost living up to the potential with which God endowed them in trying desperately to improve the quality of life for this dolphin. I love seeing people at their 'best'. I love animals and nature. Thank you to Amazon.ca for having this movie available when I could no longer find it on the shelf.

Dolphin Tale / Histoire au dauphin (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]