5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing
Published on Dec 13 2011 by Mike MacDonald

3.0 out of 5 stars DVDs are fine, but the box they are stored in seems like a cheap copy............
DVDs are fine, but the box they are stored in seems like a cheap copy, flimsy compared to any other factory boxed seasons I have purchased. The box they came in is about as sturdy as a breakfast cereal box. Don't think I will be purchasing anything again from this seller.......
Published 19 months ago by dolores

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing, Dec 13 2011
Mike MacDonald (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (DVD)
I didn't know what to expect when I saw the previews. Steve Buscemi is an odd, but interesting actor, and I generally like most of the things that he has done. Well, from the opening chords and intro of the first episode, I knew that this would be something worth watching. With HBO, you know that you are going to probably get something that is pretty decent, but I have to see that this is one of the best series that I have ever seen, and I think the other reviews you'll see will give the show high praise.

I am surprised it has taken so long for the set to come out, nonetheless, a great gift even if it doesn't arrive in time for Christmas!

5.0 out of 5 stars The boardwalk is where the money's at, Aug. 25 2011
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (DVD)
Atlantic City, 1920. The war has just ended, Prohibition has just started, and a new breed of criminal is on the rise.

Based on the true-life story of Enoch "Nucky" Johnson, this brilliant HBO series brutally kicks aside any romantic notions we might have had about the flappers'n'bathtub-gin era of American history. It's bloody, sexual, and full of cruel ruthless men who are saved from being TOTALLY despicable by little acts of kindness.

Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (Steve Buscemi) is the unofficial boss of Atlantic City. While officially only the state treasurer, he actually has his fingers in every business in the city -- and now that Prohibition has started, he's also the boss of the bootlegging biz in New Jersey. His creepy brother is the sheriff, so he basically controls the cops as well.

However, his "boardwalk empire" is constantly under threat. His protoge Jimmy (Michael Pitt) is involved in a whiskey robbery that ends up becoming a huge bloody mess, and soon fanatical Prohibition agent Van Allen (Michael Shannon) arrives to uncover what REALLY happened. So now Nucky must fend off the Feds, as well as dealing with a lynched black gangster, boardwalk thefts, the "Celtic Dinner," and weeks of pre-election politicking.

And while all this is going on, Nucky is forced to play hardball with Jimmy, who is now wanted by the New York mob. He also becomes acquainted with Margaret Schroeder (Kelly Macdonald), a lovely young Irish widow who appeals to Nucky in a way his sleazy showgirl mistress does not.

There are only twelve episodes of "Boardwalk Empire Season 1," and somehow that's never quite enough -- they're packed with so much blood, sex, politics, murder, booze and subterfuge that it's dizzying to watch. And there are at least a dozen intricate subplots, all of which are constantly changing from one episode to the next.

And the writers are unafraid to unleash some really graphic violence (head blown off, severed fingers, a shooting where the guy's BLOOD SPLATTERS ON THE CAMERA LENS), as well as exploring the ugly underbelly of this glamorized age. The dialogue is strong, quick and peppered with the F-word, and the characters are outlined carefully by the stories they often tell (such as Chalky informing a KKK jerk about how his dad died).

And how do they manage to make us actually LIKE these cruel, ruthless characters like Nucky, Jimmy and Luciano? Well, just when you're preparing to hate them... they suddenly reveal a soft spot for premature babies, or they tear up about their deaf child. Steve Buscemi is absolutely wonderful as Nucky -- he's a wise-cracking, politically savvy bootlegger, but you do NOT want to cross this guy.

And there are some great smaller performances by the pretty-faced Pitt, Macdonald, Shannon, Shea Wigham, Stephen Graham, and a lot of other solid actors. The one downside? Paz de la Huerta as Nucky's mistress Daisy -- she's basically there to lounge around naked in almost every scene, whining in a creepy little-girl voice about random topics.

"Boardwalk Empire Season 1" is a rich, amazingly-written slice of American history -- that is, the American history that is often glossed over because of its ugliness. A must see.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must see!!, Aug. 18 2011
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (DVD)
This series should be added to your mobsters' collection. Steve Buscemi is perfect as Nucky Thompson and the rest of the cast is simply captivating (Micheal Pitt's performance needs to be mentionned!). The clothes, decors and music really take you back to the 20's. If American History classes were half this interresting, kids would eat them up! Like most of HBO's series, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just keeps getting better!, March 14 2014
Boardwalk Empire is one of those rare shows that get better and better each season and three continues that trend. New characters mixed with the traditional ones makes this series wonderful. After each espoide you can't wait to see the next one! Definitely a must buy if you liked the first two seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big budget, movie television! Finally a "new" Sopranos!!, March 15 2012
RIGGER1 (CALGARY, ALBERTA.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Well done as usual HBO! This one is as big as I've seen yet!! By the way, I mean big set, big costumes, big acting, etc. (I'm sure you get the point!) I really enjoyed this series, it's so mesmerizing and grandiose it's almost distracting from the plot and acting at times. The viewer gets so heavily submerged into the 20's you honestly feel like you're living it. I have no complaints about this series, everything from writing to directing is far above my expectations, making this series one that can't be missed! I love how open the storyline is, I can see this series getting really violently "nasty" in the next few seasons. A must for anybody with an appreciation for time periods, "gangster/mob" flicks, or anyone who just enjoys some incredible substantial viewing. It's so good it's an instant classic, hope this helps, enjoy your popcorn!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, Dec 31 2013
BRIGHT WHITE HARD TOP Code: VRL $2600
Was everything that I expected. To see all of the famous people and their beginnings into the mobster world was great. The first season give y insight has to what is coming up next season. I have purchased season 2 & 3 so far

4.0 out of 5 stars great show, March 2 2014
arrived on time.
this was a gift, so i don't know what extra features it has. great show - first couple seasons of this show are the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars BOARDWALK, Sept. 3 2011
Doug Luelo (Kitchener, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
WDL
Thank goodness there's an HBO - no one else would have incurred the
expense of recreating an era in such detail! The sets alone are worthy
of discussion and appreciation!

I agree with everything in the two previous reviews, so why repeat it.

Well done HBO. Nothing will ever replace the Wire, but this stands out
in its own merit.

WDL

4.0 out of 5 stars Good season lack of action, Dec 21 2013
This review is from: Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 (DVD)
The play of the actor are exellent and the costumes are great. The story take you back at beginning of Al Capone and Lucky Luciano what is very interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars HBO finally does it for me..., Dec 15 2013
I wasn't drawn into True Blood as much as I tried (gave them three seasons before giving up), and I only recently got into Game of Thrones, but I hadn't heard a single thing about Boardwalk Empire, so I was completely innocent as to what the series held... and once I watched the first episode, I wasn't glued... I was nailed. Not that I had to watch every episode in a run, but I always looked forward to discovering Nucky Thompson's world and how Prohibition was being held...

Boardwalk Empire presented itself to me with likeable characters (not all of them, granted), a pilot directed by Martin Scorsese and plot twists that didn't feel as forced as True Blood's (I seem to hate True Blood, but not at all, it's just not cut out for me even though it was okay). The 1920s were a different time indeed and it's nice to see how taboos of then are treated into the actual storyline. It makes me see the period in a very different light and this series knows how to pull the right strings for me. I'm anxiously waiting to finish this season and begin the second one, because there's just such an attention to details, characters, backgrounds, dialogues... This is one series I won't mind at all to watch over and over again.

As far as special features are concerned, you will find quite a load to be satisfied: A making of featurette, an enhanced viewing mode, a creation of the boardwalk, character profiles, a look at Atlantic City, a tour of speakeasies (illegal bars) and six audio commentaries... it doesn't look like much, but most of these features run over 30 minutes and truly convey interesting facts on the shooting of this series.

I didn't expect to be drawn as much as I was into this. If you're into historical dramas (Mildred Pierce is next on my list, right after Boardwalk Season 2), or have an interest in the Prohibition era, this is a show that has it all and then some (for me at least).

Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season (Bilingual) [Blu-ray]