biss Up to 40% Off CBC's Canada Reads 2016 Shortlist boutiques-francophones Learn more snsflyour Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Own the 2016 GRAMMY Nominee Album featuring the Biggest Hits from Music's Biggest Night Exercice Tools ca_ty_gno

on April 4, 2012
I've only been using this for a few weeks but it's been so good I cancelled my landline. This is now my primary phone. I've got it connected to my modem directly, and then my router connects to the Ooma telo. I figure this will give me the best shot at good quality calls. I'm using a DSL connection and even with my lowly 600 kbps upload spead (16mbps down) it still works great. Occasionaly a bit of an echo but minor. Some outgoing calls won't ring, yet the other party answers. After I dial, I just listen to the silence for a few seconds and then somebody answers. Not a dealbreaker for sure. I'm using Panasonic cordless phones and the phones recognize when I have a voicemail and I retreive it from the cordless handset. Listening to the message on the telo directly is a premium subscriber feature and I don't want to pay the extra few bucks. The Panasoninc cordless also have Night Mode and call blocking so with these cordless I can get most of the features of the premium without paying extra. I also like being able to check my voicemail and caller logs while I travel, the email notification is a premium feature but simply logging on to "My Ooma" is not and they have a nice mobile optimized website if your'e accessing it from a smartphone.
on March 10, 2012
I bought the Telo since mid January and have been struggling with serious voice quality issues and no real support and solution from Ooma support. My last e-mail was unanswered for more than 2 weeks.

During my telephone conversations, my callers hear intermittent loud dial tone beeps which cut off our conversations. Reported this issue since end of January to Ooma for assitance and went through many configurations and tests as per the usual routine with no improvement at all. I am also experiencing long latency (delay) and are forced to stop talking many times in order to re-sync our conversations.

The Ooma Telo is not just ready for prime time and even less for Canadian users.

With the very high acquisition costs, make sure that you buy from a vendor that provides generous return policy if not you will be stuck with an expensive brick. I bought mine from Canada Computers and could not return it.

I have now setup Freephoneline.ca with Google voice using the Obi 110 and this setup is
much better and costs much less. Initial cost around $100 and NO monthly fees. I could
call North America for free until Google decides to charge.

Tai
on February 19, 2014
I finally got tired paying land phone costs at $ 36 per month with Big 'B'. Ordered the Telo from Amazon, followed the steps & was up & running with 15 minutes. I decided to port my existing phone number for $ 39.99 and that took 12 days (in the meantime Ooma issued me a temporary phone number).

The incoming voice quality is just as good as a land line, though folks on the outgoing side say there is just a very slight echo to my voice. For the $ 3.98 I'll be paying, it's a very slight compromise. A large determinant of the voice quality is your internet service - I have a good one from Big 'B'.

I kept my internet connection with Big 'B' and am on the 15 mbps down/ 10 mbps up (now dry loop) DSL service. All throughout the process , I did not even call up Big 'B' as the porting process itself set things in motion . I did not lose internet service at anytime, going from a line with a dial tone to a now dry loop - nor was I charged extra fees by Big 'B' on the dry loop.

I did get a 'retention' call however from Big 'B' on the day my phone number was ported. They counter-offered against Ooma but I didn't budge - but the retention rep did cut me a better deal on my internet and cable service !
on March 11, 2013
I've switched from an expensive landline in Saskatchewan to Ooma and overall I'm happy with the product. There are a couple of things that you'd need to know before you make the switch:
1) It's not a perfect product, but it's damn close. I experience a delay in calls some times (and I'm talking maybe 1 out of 25 calls), which can be confusing for some people.
2) If you're using a voip toll free forwarding service (like I have, with eVoice.com), the delay gets worse
3) If you're in Saskatchewan, you can only transfer your number if you're in Saskatoon on Regina. I'm not, but now people in Saskatoon can call me locally because I chose a Saskatoon number
4) In some cases, you can't connect to a 1800 number. For example, if you're trying to reach 1-800-SASKTEL from your Ooma line, you'll be SOL. Sasktel have what's I believe is called a "regional toll free number" or something to that extent. Since Ooma is not affiliated with Sasktel, you'll have to dial the number that you'd have to call if you were in the States.

Positives:
1) Calls are crystal clear, if you're not experiencing the delay
2) Voicemail to email is awesome
3) Customer service seems capable
4) It's cheap!
5) It's a breeze to setup.

I highly recommend Ooma to anyone who's ok with a delay every once in a while.
on December 1, 2011
We all hate phone bills, myself included. Over the years, in an effort to keep my cost down I have played the "Best Offer Game". Switching back and forth from Pacific Bell, AT&T,MCI,Sprint,Time Warner,Comcast and Vonage. I have tried the "Bundle" approach of TV, Cable and Phone, all in an effort to keep the phone bill down. Finally, I found Ooma. I have had Ooma service for well over a year without a single problem. Easy set up, clear voice reception and best of all, $3.47 per month for unlimited local and long distance calls.

PS. My $3.47 is for Ooma's basic service as that is all I need. There premium service is a bit higher, I think around #13.00 per month. That is still a good deal if you have a family and need more then (1) one line. Ooma has other products such as wyfi adapters if your into that. Also, you can keep you same phone number, they call it call it Porting, they will charge you of course but it's not that high.

My review might not be as professional as Ooma might want, sorry. But the product
is great. After purchasing my Ooma and paying the $39.00 Porting charge it took me less then five months to recoup my initial outlay.
on December 1, 2011
I am happy to report that as a residential phone service Ooma is absolutely for real. It has even been singled out for praise by Consumer Reports among the VOIP (voice over internet) providers. The one caveat for VOIP is that you must have a fast internet connection. In my case, I ditched my land line with AT&T in favor of Ooma two years ago, simply because it made sense to use VOIP via my existing cable modem to reduce my phone bills. I looked at other VOIP services, MagicJack and Vonage in particular, and Ooma was the clear choice. After the up front cost it is considerably cheaper than Vonage and unlike MagicJack does not require having your computer on to work. Call quality is indistinguishable from what I had with AT&T and for my $10 per month for Ooma premier service I have features AT&T doesn't provide (two calls on the same number at the same time, black listing of numbers that persist in calling with unwanted solicitations, a no ring-send to voice mail privacy setting, internet and email access to voice mail, automatic forwarding to cell phone if internet connection is lost, etc). Over 2 years time Ooma has saved me at least $1800 in AT&T phone bills at a total cost to me of $400, and a good bit of that $400 was spent up front to buy the Ooma equipment. International calling is also easy and inexpensive with Ooma. You simply put some money in the international calling account provided to you on the Ooma web site and your calls then go through. The occasional calls I make to Greece cost $.03 per minute from the account (for frequent callers Ooma's web site has even cheaper options). The only downside I'm aware of is that VOIP systems are not effective with home security systems; i.e., for that you would need a minimal land line to go along with Ooma (or any of the other VOIP systems). I will also note I had no difficulty installing Ooma - its control box simple connects between cable modem and computer and you plug your phone system into it. I've seen no Impact on my internet connection and it's been working away ever since I installed it. For those with odd setup requirements, there are lots of people posting suggestions to the web, and Ooma has pretty good customer service (at least they did 2 years ago ... there was little wait for my call to them to port my phone number and the transfer finalized in about 10 days, which was when I got to kiss AT&T goodbye, hopefully forever).
on December 31, 2013
One of the unforeseen casualties of our Government past policies regarding Canada's misguided belief that our culture required protection from being absorbed by our neighbours to the south is that it blocked potential competition of some sectors of our economy.
Our ministers in Government have come to realize this but the damage is done. Take for example our large telecom companies who seized the opportunity to monopolize the market and we have cell phone bill that are one of the highest in the world.
I came across the Ooma system five years ago but when I called the in California I was told that they weren't in Canada at this time.
This Christmas while browsing through Amazon.com I came across the Ooma Telo which originally would sell for $225.00 but was normally priced @ $157.00. But that's not the end of it. It was on Christmas sale of $100.00. I didn't even hesitate. I got my credit card and bought it.
It took me about fifteen minutes to set it up between my modem and my computer and now I am enjoying total freedom from my bondage of the phone company. This is the Netflix of phone service, I mean about the price anyway about $8.00 a month, the voice quality is crystal and one of the best decisions I have ever made.
My original phone company, when I told them I was cancelling their service dropped their charges down to nearly nothing to keep me on board ( I also get my internet and wireless from them ). Their total bill of all three effectively give me the equivalent discount of the phone section being eliminated. I got angry with them and said "why didn't you offer this to me before" because I have already bought the Ooma Box. they then proceed to give me the price of the Ooma box in two month further reduction of $50.00 totalling $100.00, the cost of my Ooma box.
I say to you now, you Will Not regret this purchase. My Name is Rick Knowles and I have absolutely no ties to this company what so ever
on November 21, 2011
I have Ooma in the US at my vacation property. It is magnificent! It does not generate a monthly bill and the service is either the same or better than those "other guys"! I have ordered my Canadian version and I am keen to start saving forever! 5 Stars from me!
on January 16, 2013
The device itself appears to work well enough but Ooma's customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. I've encountered a problem in the porting process and I'm getting no help from Ooma -- it's been five days now that people can't reach me on my number.

Email Ooma and you get a cut-and-paste reply back, call their support line and the next day you get another generic email reply. I finally got them to agree to escalate the issue to their porting department and two days later... still no reply.

So don't count on getting any customer service if you buy this device. Their VP of Customer Service, Jamie Buckley, should be ashamed of the department he's running.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
We have a recreational lot in the US and have been using Ooma for several years through our Comcast cable internet account. I originally paid about $200 for the older model (which at the time came with a satellite module for a second line). I have never upgraded from the Basic service which allowed free phone calls within the US and we have never been charged any other fees or taxes...I believe that we were Grandfathered in based on the terms in place at that time. The calls that we make back to Canada when we are there are charged at a pittance and the amount is deducted from a prepaid minutes account. I believe that the Canadian program will work pretty much as it does in the US. I have only ever loaded the interational account once and there is no expiration period. I'm sure that it is critical to have a good internet connection, but I can say that we have experienced great call quality at least 95% of the time. Although I don't own Ooma for Canada yet, I will buy one in the next few weeks based on my US experience. When you are away from home, you receive email notification when you have voice mail...love that. You simply click the link to access your account and you can play the message on your computer. But the very best thing about it is the ability to eliminate monthly charges from land line providers. Phone and Cable providers have known that this was coming and therefore all have offered "package plans" rewarding subscribers with discounts for including phone service in with their TV and Internet "bundles". I have no idea what the Ooma "taxes and fees" amount to for Canada and also what their "Premier" option will cost if desired, so check out what you need first to determine how much you may be able to save. And it really goes without saying that you must have internet service for it to work as well as a phone(s). Lastly, Ooma does not require a computer...just hard wire access (through a router if you do have a computer)to the internet.
0Comment14 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse

See 1 answered question