Auto boutiques-francophones Simple and secure cloud storage Personal Care Furniture All-New Kindle Paperwhite Music Deals Store NFL Tools

on December 7, 2013
Was told by a friend, ands its worth it! We are in Niagara Falls and it costs about $12 a month with Ontario taxes included. The unit and porting (fee to keep your old number) cost just under $200 but even with those up front costs its a smart move. I have ADT alarm system and even though ADT won't support OOMA Telleo works well with it, as long as you switch the dial tone to "alarm" mode (simulates standard dial tone). We are also had a cogeco Home phone but Ooma is still cheaper. Call quality is ok, generally is great but can be a bit choppy based on internet load/signal quality. We only have the cogeco lite internet (cheapest & lowest package).
Overall totally worth it!
on November 21, 2011
I have Ooma in the US at my vacation property. It is magnificent! It does not generate a monthly bill and the service is either the same or better than those "other guys"! I have ordered my Canadian version and I am keen to start saving forever! 5 Stars from me!
on December 31, 2013
One of the unforeseen casualties of our Government past policies regarding Canada's misguided belief that our culture required protection from being absorbed by our neighbours to the south is that it blocked potential competition of some sectors of our economy.
Our ministers in Government have come to realize this but the damage is done. Take for example our large telecom companies who seized the opportunity to monopolize the market and we have cell phone bill that are one of the highest in the world.
I came across the Ooma system five years ago but when I called the in California I was told that they weren't in Canada at this time.
This Christmas while browsing through Amazon.com I came across the Ooma Telo which originally would sell for $225.00 but was normally priced @ $157.00. But that's not the end of it. It was on Christmas sale of $100.00. I didn't even hesitate. I got my credit card and bought it.
It took me about fifteen minutes to set it up between my modem and my computer and now I am enjoying total freedom from my bondage of the phone company. This is the Netflix of phone service, I mean about the price anyway about $8.00 a month, the voice quality is crystal and one of the best decisions I have ever made.
My original phone company, when I told them I was cancelling their service dropped their charges down to nearly nothing to keep me on board ( I also get my internet and wireless from them ). Their total bill of all three effectively give me the equivalent discount of the phone section being eliminated. I got angry with them and said "why didn't you offer this to me before" because I have already bought the Ooma Box. they then proceed to give me the price of the Ooma box in two month further reduction of $50.00 totalling $100.00, the cost of my Ooma box.
I say to you now, you Will Not regret this purchase. My Name is Rick Knowles and I have absolutely no ties to this company what so ever
on November 8, 2011
We have a recreational lot in the US and have been using Ooma for several years through our Comcast cable internet account. I originally paid about $200 for the older model (which at the time came with a satellite module for a second line). I have never upgraded from the Basic service which allowed free phone calls within the US and we have never been charged any other fees or taxes...I believe that we were Grandfathered in based on the terms in place at that time. The calls that we make back to Canada when we are there are charged at a pittance and the amount is deducted from a prepaid minutes account. I believe that the Canadian program will work pretty much as it does in the US. I have only ever loaded the interational account once and there is no expiration period. I'm sure that it is critical to have a good internet connection, but I can say that we have experienced great call quality at least 95% of the time. Although I don't own Ooma for Canada yet, I will buy one in the next few weeks based on my US experience. When you are away from home, you receive email notification when you have voice mail...love that. You simply click the link to access your account and you can play the message on your computer. But the very best thing about it is the ability to eliminate monthly charges from land line providers. Phone and Cable providers have known that this was coming and therefore all have offered "package plans" rewarding subscribers with discounts for including phone service in with their TV and Internet "bundles". I have no idea what the Ooma "taxes and fees" amount to for Canada and also what their "Premier" option will cost if desired, so check out what you need first to determine how much you may be able to save. And it really goes without saying that you must have internet service for it to work as well as a phone(s). Lastly, Ooma does not require a computer...just hard wire access (through a router if you do have a computer)to the internet.
on January 16, 2013
The device itself appears to work well enough but Ooma's customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. I've encountered a problem in the porting process and I'm getting no help from Ooma -- it's been five days now that people can't reach me on my number.

Email Ooma and you get a cut-and-paste reply back, call their support line and the next day you get another generic email reply. I finally got them to agree to escalate the issue to their porting department and two days later... still no reply.

So don't count on getting any customer service if you buy this device. Their VP of Customer Service, Jamie Buckley, should be ashamed of the department he's running.
on May 7, 2014
My switch to Ooma started with Rogers doing me a huge favour: I got inconsistent and unclear pricing from Rogers once my promo period was over, and on top of that, a rude and sarcastic customer service rep who wouldn't answer my questions. It made me realise that I just couldn't handle this big company anymore, and went out to research Ooma the next day.

For comparison: I downgraded from Rogers' Favourites Plan with 500 minutes North America long-distance ($49.00+tx/month) to their most basic plan, the Essentials (still $35/month, without *a single call feature* or long-distance!). I kept my phone number and went out and got Ooma the next day. Porting my old number over was easy—the $39.99 cost was waived because I signed up for the Premier 1-year subscription for $119.99. Now my monthly bill is $9.99 + $3.98 taxes and fees = $13.97.

I couldn't be happier.

Pros:
> Call quality is clear to and from Vancouver, as well as to Europe and Asia.
> the Premium features are abundant and incredibly useful for the low price of $9.99/month, including: unlimited long-distance
calling in Canada and the U.S.; call blocking for annoying telemarketers/robo-calls; voicemail right to your e-mail; forwarding to
another number in case of Internet disruption/outage.
> (Even the Basic plan which just asks you to pay a mind-bogglingly low $3.98/month for taxes and fees, still gives you Caller ID,
Call Waiting, voicemail, and unlimited long-distance calling in Canada—none of which Rogers would include in their $34 plan.)
> the international long-distance packages are also incredibly priced: 500 minutes for $7.99/month, or 1000 minutes for
$11.99/month!

Cons:
> initial costs may seem pricey, but you really do get your money's worth, and everything besides the Telo hardware is optional:
>> the Telo is a one-time cost of $149.99, but I equate this to the installation fee from Rogers and Bells, which is usually
$100-$50 (and you have to pay this each time you move!)
>> the optional handset ($57.99) gives you the option of having a 2nd phone number + 2nd voicemail account
>> the Mobile app ($9.99 for Android; free for Apple) gives you the capability of transferring calls to/from your cell phone

Otherwise, no other cons so far. Luckily, set-up and all else has been very easy, so no need for customer service yet.

Taking into consideration that the Telo is only $100 more than my Rogers installation fee (promotional pricing: $50), I'd still break even in 2 months (if I had kept the Rogers $49.00/month Favourites plan, or 3 months (if I had kept the Rogers $34/month Essentials plan). But I get a ton more with Ooma, and after that, an amazingly low monthly bill.

Go out and get this for yourself, and tell everyone you know! Never again deal with the big telcos and outrageous pricing/poor customer service.
on February 19, 2014
I finally got tired paying land phone costs at $ 36 per month with Big 'B'. Ordered the Telo from Amazon, followed the steps & was up & running with 15 minutes. I decided to port my existing phone number for $ 39.99 and that took 12 days (in the meantime Ooma issued me a temporary phone number).

The incoming voice quality is just as good as a land line, though folks on the outgoing side say there is just a very slight echo to my voice. For the $ 3.98 I'll be paying, it's a very slight compromise. A large determinant of the voice quality is your internet service - I have a good one from Big 'B'.

I kept my internet connection with Big 'B' and am on the 15 mbps down/ 10 mbps up (now dry loop) DSL service. All throughout the process , I did not even call up Big 'B' as the porting process itself set things in motion . I did not lose internet service at anytime, going from a line with a dial tone to a now dry loop - nor was I charged extra fees by Big 'B' on the dry loop.

I did get a 'retention' call however from Big 'B' on the day my phone number was ported. They counter-offered against Ooma but I didn't budge - but the retention rep did cut me a better deal on my internet and cable service !
on August 9, 2013
I have a replacement unit, because the first device would not work properly. There was no debate or hassle, Ooma replaced the unit without any argument, and the second unit works right up to expectations. The prospect of no phone bill, extended long distance calls if I desire, and being able to avoid the hassles of changing phone number, are all real treats. Based on my last phone bill this device will be paid for in a little over 1 month! At this time i am very pleased, and anticipate being very pleased long term if the service remains as good as it appears at the present time.
There was a slight disruption in phone service while my number was being ported over to my Ooma device. The number was ported from my original service, and they cut off my service before my replacement device arrived, in spite of being asked not to disconnect until I requested it. This resulted in a couple of days without service that was in no way attributable to Ooma, other than a slight delay in sending my replacement unit. I am very pleased, and wonder why I waited so long to make the leap! Thanks
on March 11, 2013
I've switched from an expensive landline in Saskatchewan to Ooma and overall I'm happy with the product. There are a couple of things that you'd need to know before you make the switch:
1) It's not a perfect product, but it's damn close. I experience a delay in calls some times (and I'm talking maybe 1 out of 25 calls), which can be confusing for some people.
2) If you're using a voip toll free forwarding service (like I have, with eVoice.com), the delay gets worse
3) If you're in Saskatchewan, you can only transfer your number if you're in Saskatoon on Regina. I'm not, but now people in Saskatoon can call me locally because I chose a Saskatoon number
4) In some cases, you can't connect to a 1800 number. For example, if you're trying to reach 1-800-SASKTEL from your Ooma line, you'll be SOL. Sasktel have what's I believe is called a "regional toll free number" or something to that extent. Since Ooma is not affiliated with Sasktel, you'll have to dial the number that you'd have to call if you were in the States.

Positives:
1) Calls are crystal clear, if you're not experiencing the delay
2) Voicemail to email is awesome
3) Customer service seems capable
4) It's cheap!
5) It's a breeze to setup.

I highly recommend Ooma to anyone who's ok with a delay every once in a while.
on July 7, 2012
This device connects much like any Voip adapter or gateway but there is one major difference that needs pointing out. When you have a high speed internet service higher than 7.5mbs, most Voip adapters like the Linksys SPA 2102 limit your internet speed so your router, pc or wireless connections are connected to a maximum speed of 7.5mbs instead of the higher speed you're paying for.
I was skeptical about this unit so I decided to buy it from a local dealer so I could return it if it turned out to limit the speed to 7.5mbs. After getting it home, setting it up and getting it activated, I went and done a speedtest and it came back at 14.76mbs. Needless to say, this device allows you to get the speed you paid for while providing a very, very clear audio, no delays, no echoes, no line noise and no large monthly bills. If my internet goes down, all calls are immediately forwarded to my cellphone, record of missed calls, voicemail can be used. This unit comes with a high price tag but this is one device which gives you what you pay for and a whole lot more. Five Stars on this one. I found my computer drug store provided the best price with a no issue return policy up to 10 days. This is as good or better than a land line, no soap, no brag, just a fact that needs pointing out.

P.S. The Ooma Telo sold in the US is not usable in Canada unless you have a US number you can use to make it work. The biggest problem I see with many of those selling the Ooma Telo is most are selling it at the full retail price while pretending its their sale price. It seems rather odd that London Drugs sells them for twenty dollars less and they're not even on sale ?