4.0 out of 5 stars *Great* value, but not without its "little frustrations"
I won't recap all the great features you get with Ooma, since those are on their web site.

The short version of this review:
It's a fantastic value, but not without its "little frustrations".

My total cost is $13/mo. for the "premium" service.
(You can pay as little as $3/mo if you just need the line, and no features.)

Pros:...
Published on Jan. 5 2012 by Colin Foster

1.0 out of 5 stars Ooma customer service is atrocious
The device itself appears to work well enough but Ooma's customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. I've encountered a problem in the porting process and I'm getting no help from Ooma -- it's been five days now that people can't reach me on my number.

Email Ooma and you get a cut-and-paste reply back, call their support line and the next day you get...
Published 15 months ago by Randall Sceraga

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option to typical phone company BS, Dec 7 2013
This review is from: Ooma Telo - Free Home Phone Service (VoIP) - Canadian Version (Office Product)
Was told by a friend, ands its worth it! We are in Niagara Falls and it costs about $12 a month with Ontario taxes included. The unit and porting (fee to keep your old number) cost just under $200 but even with those up front costs its a smart move. I have ADT alarm system and even though ADT won't support OOMA Telleo works well with it, as long as you switch the dial tone to "alarm" mode (simulates standard dial tone). We are also had a cogeco Home phone but Ooma is still cheaper. Call quality is ok, generally is great but can be a bit choppy based on internet load/signal quality. We only have the cogeco lite internet (cheapest & lowest package).
Overall totally worth it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Big $$$ Saver and Great Features, Nov. 28 2012
I have always been hesitant to buy into VOIP phone solutions. Companies like Vonage are supposed to offer good service, but their prices are high and high prices defeat the main reason for switching to VOIP in the first place. Other companies, like Magic Jack, seem like two bit operations with poor quality service and could easily fold over night leaving you stranded without a home phone. When I heard about Ooma and read the positive reviews people were writing about it, I decided to give it a try and I have not regretted this decision since we signed up for the service three months ago. Ooma was a big factor in allowing us to 'cut the cord' on the traditional phone, internet, and tv services we used to pay over $140 a month for. The money that we are saving with Ooma (and an internet based TV solution called PlayOn) is significant and some of the features it offers, like call forwarding, personal black lists, and a web based management dashboard have transformed how we use our home phone. There is still more work for Ooma to do on the feature front (such as integration with Google Contacts), but I give it 5 stars overall for the significant money you can save by using it and for great features that previously weren't available for home phone service.

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually works, Dec 26 2011
D. Watkins (Springfield, OH) - See all my reviews
We have several friends with Magic Jack and Vonage, and with the exception of the price of monthly service, they complain about the service, having to use the computer (what happens when it crashes), voice quality, calls getting cut off, etc. The Ooma just works. It's as reliable as your high speed internet service (which is what it uses), and it doesn't appear to slow down the computers, even when making phone calls. The quality is better than with hard phone lines. We are sold. Vonage = $29.95 / month x 12 months = $350. Ooma = $3.50 / mo X 12 months = $42.00 plus the original $250 for equipment and you're still ahead at the end of the first year. And only $9.95 per month to add a second line along with premium services that area actually worth it. The call screening is wonderful. We love never having to hear telemarketers call. Just follow the directions when you install it (6 pages, big pictures and big text), sign up, select your options, and start talking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting the word out, Dec 31 2013
One of the unforeseen casualties of our Government past policies regarding Canada's misguided belief that our culture required protection from being absorbed by our neighbours to the south is that it blocked potential competition of some sectors of our economy.
Our ministers in Government have come to realize this but the damage is done. Take for example our large telecom companies who seized the opportunity to monopolize the market and we have cell phone bill that are one of the highest in the world.
I came across the Ooma system five years ago but when I called the in California I was told that they weren't in Canada at this time.
This Christmas while browsing through Amazon.com I came across the Ooma Telo which originally would sell for $225.00 but was normally priced @ $157.00. But that's not the end of it. It was on Christmas sale of $100.00. I didn't even hesitate. I got my credit card and bought it.
It took me about fifteen minutes to set it up between my modem and my computer and now I am enjoying total freedom from my bondage of the phone company. This is the Netflix of phone service, I mean about the price anyway about $8.00 a month, the voice quality is crystal and one of the best decisions I have ever made.
My original phone company, when I told them I was cancelling their service dropped their charges down to nearly nothing to keep me on board ( I also get my internet and wireless from them ). Their total bill of all three effectively give me the equivalent discount of the phone section being eliminated. I got angry with them and said "why didn't you offer this to me before" because I have already bought the Ooma Box. they then proceed to give me the price of the Ooma box in two month further reduction of $50.00 totalling $100.00, the cost of my Ooma box.
I say to you now, you Will Not regret this purchase. My Name is Rick Knowles and I have absolutely no ties to this company what so ever

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic inexpensive Telephone - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, March 10 2013
Charles Dimov (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The previous review describes just how simple it is to set up. In my case, I don't need the bells and whistles, and have stuck with the $3.98 monthly taxes and minor charges. I was paying bell just over $62 per month for POTS (insane). Worse yet, they refused to budge on price or service, despite all the telecom competition. Ooma Telo has sound quality that is basically as good as Bell premium priced service. Yes, there is the loss of service during blackouts. If you can live with that - then Ooma is the way to go.

The startup price of the device paid for itself within a few months. Then after that if your pricing was anything like mine, you will save about $700 per year. Thank you Ooma. Great product! I love this inexpensive yet great quality telephone service!

5.0 out of 5 stars Calling all Canadians - what are you waiting for?, Dec 8 2011
I am not one to submit on-line reviews, but in this case I can't help myself from telling everyone I know about Ooma Telo.
I am also usually not one to jump at new things until I've done all the research....but in this case...
I ordered Ooma the day it was available in Canada and I haven't had a single regret.

The number port from my previous provider was completed today so

Goodbye ridiculous charges for mediocre service
Goodbye to lousy customer (dis)service
Goodbye to the great Canadian monopoly
Hello great call quality
Hello free calling to North America
Hello low international rates
Hello lots of calling features
Hello Blacklist - goodbye annoying telemarketers who don't seem know about the Do not Call List
Hello Ooma!

I made the decision to subscribe to Ooma premier service -- $119.00 and that covers the number porting cost. The Blacklist feature alone is worth at least that much! not to mention all the other great features that come with premier.

My next decision is how to spend the $400+ a year (even with the premier service) that I'm going to be saving with Ooma.

5.0 out of 5 stars good quality. device pays for itself in a couple of months., April 13 2014
I'm very happy with my Ooma service so far and I have cut my phone bill down by over 90%!

Call quality is great. The live chat support is really helpful and much better than the annoying phone systems that most phone companies use (although they have phone support too)

Porting my existing number over took just over a week - much faster than estimated and much faster than advertised too.

Premier features are nice but I doubt I will keep them. I don't think there's enough there to justify more than tripling the cost per month.

Had to turn off anonymous call blocking because I couldn't call home from my work line with it enabled.

Very happy so far.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, inexpensive, but has some issues, March 17 2014
I bought the device and was able to perform basic setup quite easily. It was basically, online activation and plug-and-play.
The quality of the calls (with High Speed cable internet with a practical measured speed of 10Mbps) is quite reasonable, but it does have more than usual latency. The phone works well in full duplex. Sometimes, under heavier internet usage from other devices, Ooma had a problem connecting (no ring tone followed by a total disconnect). Occasionally, the phone quality was less than great, but these it's had to attribute it to one side. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality.
The phone is recommended to be connected between your modem and the router, rather than behind your router. This makes sense, however, if you have any services running (RDP, Minecraft Server, Web servcer, FTP, etc.) they will not work because Ooma device has a firewall and port forwarding on it doesn't work. I call supported and was transferred from 1st tier and 2nd tier, they checked my setup and couldn't figure out why it didn't work. 3rd tier support call back was expected within 48 hours to address, but never happened. The first 2 guys were trying to convince to move the router behind the router, which was not their recommended setup, which I eventually did out of lack of an alternate solution.
Watch out for taxes and fees if you are counting on the service being free or the premium costing only 9.99 - it's not. There are 911 fees and other taxes amounting to $4 in my case in either case. Still the price is good.
Long distance charges are slightly higher than Shaw, but only minimally. The paid calls are timed per-minute (not per second).
Long distance needs to be pre-paid. This is really silly, but you have to put money up front into your account and reload (or have automatically reloaded based on a threshold) otherwise your call will end. Why they can't charge after the fact like everyone else given they have your card number anyway - I don't understand.
Overall, if you are ok with these shortcomings this is still a great money saver and I am opting to stay with Ooma unless something else major comes up.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic products, March 4 2014
messages even work to flash through to our office norstar system and shows as a blinking light.

good call quality.

reasonable price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Alternative, March 3 2014
I was hesitant to switch my landline to VOIP. Now I just wish I had done it sooner. I looked at other VOIP solutions as well and found this one to be the best. Love it!

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›