4.0 out of 5 stars *Great* value, but not without its "little frustrations"
I won't recap all the great features you get with Ooma, since those are on their web site.

The short version of this review:
It's a fantastic value, but not without its "little frustrations".

My total cost is $13/mo. for the "premium" service.
(You can pay as little as $3/mo if you just need the line, and no features.)

Pros:...
Published on Jan. 5 2012 by Colin Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, inexpensive, but has some issues
I bought the device and was able to perform basic setup quite easily. It was basically, online activation and plug-and-play.
The quality of the calls (with High Speed cable internet with a practical measured speed of 10Mbps) is quite reasonable, but it does have more than usual latency. The phone works well in full duplex. Sometimes, under heavier internet usage...
Published 9 months ago by Tom Stachura

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Getting the word out, Dec 31 2013
This review is from: Ooma Telo (Discontinued by Manufacturer) - Free Home Phone Service (VoIP) - Canadian Version (Office Product)
One of the unforeseen casualties of our Government past policies regarding Canada's misguided belief that our culture required protection from being absorbed by our neighbours to the south is that it blocked potential competition of some sectors of our economy.
Our ministers in Government have come to realize this but the damage is done. Take for example our large telecom companies who seized the opportunity to monopolize the market and we have cell phone bill that are one of the highest in the world.
I came across the Ooma system five years ago but when I called the in California I was told that they weren't in Canada at this time.
This Christmas while browsing through Amazon.com I came across the Ooma Telo which originally would sell for $225.00 but was normally priced @ $157.00. But that's not the end of it. It was on Christmas sale of $100.00. I didn't even hesitate. I got my credit card and bought it.
It took me about fifteen minutes to set it up between my modem and my computer and now I am enjoying total freedom from my bondage of the phone company. This is the Netflix of phone service, I mean about the price anyway about $8.00 a month, the voice quality is crystal and one of the best decisions I have ever made.
My original phone company, when I told them I was cancelling their service dropped their charges down to nearly nothing to keep me on board ( I also get my internet and wireless from them ). Their total bill of all three effectively give me the equivalent discount of the phone section being eliminated. I got angry with them and said "why didn't you offer this to me before" because I have already bought the Ooma Box. they then proceed to give me the price of the Ooma box in two month further reduction of $50.00 totalling $100.00, the cost of my Ooma box.
I say to you now, you Will Not regret this purchase. My Name is Rick Knowles and I have absolutely no ties to this company what so ever

4.0 out of 5 stars I love it so far. Have not found any drawbacks except having to pay for Android app but not Apple app???, Oct. 15 2013
"CR" a noted independent consumer product testing magazine rates Ooma the highest of ALL internet VOIP (voice over internet protocol systems. I agree! Having tried the big one which starts with a V, the one now being advertised C...Wave, and others. V is okay but too expensive in my view. C...Wave leaves out important details of their charges and surprises you with them after you get your credit card statement. Is that any way to do business?

Ooma tells you up front, lets you try it before commiting yourself to a plan, and the sound is great. My number is not ported yet, so I intend to add more after using the Ooma longer but so far am very impressed. At $9.95 a month and no charges for Canadian calls out or in, how does that get better?

New in Canada and new to Android. I rushed to download the Android app because the IOS Apple one is free. But android version, they still want $9.95 to purchase. After paying $9.95 a month, and Apple users can have for free, why am I as an Android user required to pay even a one-time fee for the app?

I would like to be able to phone from my android cell or tablet but on principle I will not pay for an app when I am already paying the company $9.95 per month! In that way Ooma feels cheap.

However they have a great product and I believe they WILL start giving the Android app free sometime soon. I hope! It's only fair!

More later after my number gets ported to Ooma.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ooma customer service is atrocious, Jan. 16 2013
The device itself appears to work well enough but Ooma's customer service is the worst I've ever experienced. I've encountered a problem in the porting process and I'm getting no help from Ooma -- it's been five days now that people can't reach me on my number.

Email Ooma and you get a cut-and-paste reply back, call their support line and the next day you get another generic email reply. I finally got them to agree to escalate the issue to their porting department and two days later... still no reply.

So don't count on getting any customer service if you buy this device. Their VP of Customer Service, Jamie Buckley, should be ashamed of the department he's running.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ooma's not quite as good as I'd hoped, Aug. 7 2014
I signed up due to a recommendation and the other features (2 phone numbers, cheap monthly rates and call blocking of telemarketers). However, it's not living up the it's reputation. People I talk to complain that they can't hear me or I cut out too much when I'm in certain parts of my house. Overall, that's not a good thing. I was also told that I could get some sort of refund from them because of a deal at the time, but I didn't get anything. So, I'm stuck with this at least for the time being (need to get my money's worth for the unit).

I don't know why this unit (it's nicely designed though) it's being discontinued in Canada—this is the first that I've heard. It better not be the service that's being discontinued. I also like the way you can check your calls from your email, that's a nice feature.

If I had better sound (no cutting out), I'd give it a 5.

4.0 out of 5 stars OOMA TELO Canadian Version, May 19 2014
Dianne Difabio "lady di" (canada) - See all my reviews
Vewry easy to set up! I am not at all tech savvy but at 66 I did it all myself .There are ample helps on line which answer most questions Very kind and helpful people on their chat line. You can easily see your account at ant time .Voice very clear when talking on phone~~~

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressed with Features and Quality, June 6 2014
Awesome phone service with great features and crystal clear voice quality at a very reasonable price rate.
Not to forget the great customer service and the constant email communications and update.
I highly recommend it for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent option to typical phone company BS, Dec 7 2013
Was told by a friend, ands its worth it! We are in Niagara Falls and it costs about $12 a month with Ontario taxes included. The unit and porting (fee to keep your old number) cost just under $200 but even with those up front costs its a smart move. I have ADT alarm system and even though ADT won't support OOMA Telleo works well with it, as long as you switch the dial tone to "alarm" mode (simulates standard dial tone). We are also had a cogeco Home phone but Ooma is still cheaper. Call quality is ok, generally is great but can be a bit choppy based on internet load/signal quality. We only have the cogeco lite internet (cheapest & lowest package).
Overall totally worth it!

3.0 out of 5 stars drops calls sporratically, May 19 2014
nice working system, but drops in the middle of calls for no apparent reason, support said they reset but problem still occurs, better than payin bell for long distance tho

5.0 out of 5 stars Big $$$ Saver and Great Features, Nov. 28 2012
I have always been hesitant to buy into VOIP phone solutions. Companies like Vonage are supposed to offer good service, but their prices are high and high prices defeat the main reason for switching to VOIP in the first place. Other companies, like Magic Jack, seem like two bit operations with poor quality service and could easily fold over night leaving you stranded without a home phone. When I heard about Ooma and read the positive reviews people were writing about it, I decided to give it a try and I have not regretted this decision since we signed up for the service three months ago. Ooma was a big factor in allowing us to 'cut the cord' on the traditional phone, internet, and tv services we used to pay over $140 a month for. The money that we are saving with Ooma (and an internet based TV solution called PlayOn) is significant and some of the features it offers, like call forwarding, personal black lists, and a web based management dashboard have transformed how we use our home phone. There is still more work for Ooma to do on the feature front (such as integration with Google Contacts), but I give it 5 stars overall for the significant money you can save by using it and for great features that previously weren't available for home phone service.

5.0 out of 5 stars It actually works, Dec 26 2011
D. Watkins (Springfield, OH) - See all my reviews
We have several friends with Magic Jack and Vonage, and with the exception of the price of monthly service, they complain about the service, having to use the computer (what happens when it crashes), voice quality, calls getting cut off, etc. The Ooma just works. It's as reliable as your high speed internet service (which is what it uses), and it doesn't appear to slow down the computers, even when making phone calls. The quality is better than with hard phone lines. We are sold. Vonage = $29.95 / month x 12 months = $350. Ooma = $3.50 / mo X 12 months = $42.00 plus the original $250 for equipment and you're still ahead at the end of the first year. And only $9.95 per month to add a second line along with premium services that area actually worth it. The call screening is wonderful. We love never having to hear telemarketers call. Just follow the directions when you install it (6 pages, big pictures and big text), sign up, select your options, and start talking.

‹ Previous | 1 2 332 | Next ›