4.0 out of 5 stars Another nice release from Alliance
****UPDATE****
Since I first wrote my brief review of the Alliance blu-ray edition of Traffic back in 2009, a few newer releases of Traffic have been released on blu-ray:
--A Universal Studios release (under the Alliance banner here in Canada) was released on April 27th, 2010. It pretty much has the same picture and audio quality as the 2009 Alliance release...
Published on March 13 2009 by C. Denison

3.0 out of 5 stars Traffic: Hierarchizing America in the U.S.-Mexico Binary
Traffic opens with a banner on the screen announcing the filmic location to be Mexico, "twenty miles southeast of Tijuana." The film is grainy and has a decidedly yellow (although some have romanticized this color, calling it sepia) tone, and the audience is introduced to two State Police officers, Javier Rodriguez (Benicio Del Toro) and Manolo Sanchez (Jacob Vargas), who...
Published on May 9 2004 by Carl Wilkins

‹ Previous | 142 43 44 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretentious, Preachy and false, July 25 2001
Amazon Customer "birdleso" (Sidney, New York United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
How sickeningly contrived and preachy can a film be?

1.0 out of 5 stars Really boring Movie, June 30 2001
T. johnson "trent" (Austin, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie was slow, and never got to the point

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Boring and Unoriginal, Sept. 22 2003
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
I don't understand why this movie has received such great reviews when it's nothing more than a overhyped docu-drama. There's nothing new in this movie that any moderately educated person wouldn't already know about the illegal drug market just by reading the paper or watching the news. Urban street low-lifes who sell crack to rich sub-urbanites; rigid drug czars who think that militarizing police departments and expanding the penal system are good ways of battling drugs; corrupt Latin businessmen in the "coffee business" whose wives are so busy shopping with the illegal dinero that they don't care what business their husbands are in; and, finally corrupt police chiefs and generalisimos who are more than happy in giving directions or giving rides to desert "coyotes" to help them get around the [border guards] across the border.
So, in the end one must ask: what's the point of this movie? It neither educates or entertains. Those two elements usually result in one conclusion: boredom. Over 2 hours of predictable snail-paced plots about things people have already seen on countless episodes of Miami Vice, Cops, and Law and Order, to name a few. This movie was made twenty years too late! As a matter of fact; since these problems were already manifest in the 60s, maybe it was made 40 years too late.
Save your money and time: rent it if you must. It may interest you if you have no clue as to drug related crimes or drug culture. As I've said though, any person with with a minimal education will find this movie to be a dull rehash of an old story.

1.0 out of 5 stars was this movie about drugs?, May 21 2002
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
I really don't know where to start. This really had to be the worst movie made in 2001. I just couldn't understand it. The story, or stories in the film. Who played the bad guys? And what was that stupid speech about blacks always seen by whites as drug addicts, that we should undertstand and feel sorry for them because Hey, that's all they know and do to survie. Wasn't the black guy giving the drugs to the girl and pratically having her as a his sex slave, because she...being stupid and rich and having nothing to do with her time needs her drugs. I couldn't stand her and wished she died in the film. She just made me want to beat some sense into her. This is what happens when we give everything to our kids (meaning allowances of over 100 dollars a week) so they start to get bored and have no sense of what it means to work for money or do with time after school. We really need to teach our kids how to be human beings instead of babying them and worrying about hurting there feeling. Because if we don't then we will see our kids turn into monsters who don't care who they hurt, rob, sale there bodies or do stupid things (like Jackass). If I was Michael Douglas I would have beat some reality into the girl and thrown her out on her butt. And the guy who won the supporting Oscar. NO Mexican speaks that way. The accent was wrong and the way the held a converstation. It was like some ignoramus decided to be a screenwriter. What they should have done was go to Mexico and get a real translator and really done a decent job. I Mexican-American, born In Houston, raised in Houston and I consider myself a U.S. citizen just like anyone born here would, white, black, latino, etc. (But I don't consider myself a Mexican, because I've been to Mexico and they don't like Americanized latinos), and I have relatives in Mexico and they laughed at the accent and the stupid conversation the two latino actors were having. It was stupid. A Puerto-Rican accent?, when the character in the movie was Mexican? Makes no sence. The only character I liked was the Chaterine Zeta-Jones role. She was cool. I guess it was the pregancy thing. A pregnant lady who is desperate, who turns into a female Corleone was cool. That was it. But I hate it and I will hate any movie that is politcally correct. Hollywood should not be afraid to show the ugly side of all races, Black, White, Hispanic, Oreantal, and so on. It is real life and real life affects all races...and that means drugs too affect all races.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time and money!, Jan. 22 2001
Patrick K. Fines "jedivader" (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
If I wanted to watch a documentary on drugs, I would have stayed home and watched PBS. I was bored throughout the entire movie. There was no action, in fact the movie was so quiet you could here the projector going the whole time. I want to watch a movie for entertainment value, to escape reality. This movie is in no way deserving of any awards. Do not see this...!

1.0 out of 5 stars I've seen better film on teeth, July 15 2003
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
Hands down this the worst movie I have ever seen, long boring, I fell asleep 6 times. I wanted to leave before the end, but my wife wanted to ride this lemon out. A terrible film, a terrible waste of talent, I have seen better film on teeth. If you want or need a nap, then by all means, watch this lousy unbearable tedious lemon of a movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Snoozer, May 27 2002
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This film can be accurately summarized with one word: BORING.
I'm getting sick and tired of getting suckered in by these "star-studded" and "award winning" movies. If this "movie" can get four academy awards then a movie documenting cars rusting should be able to easily qualify for eight academy awards.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste your money!!, Jan. 27 2001
Scott Wilkinson "cimtech" (Alpine, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie was the worst movie I have seen in quite some time. I expected much more with the great cast of charactors. During the entire movie, the scenes were jumping back and forth from one part of the world to another. The camera scenes were continually jerky and very destracting, along with poor color. The plot was the generic drug cartel theme with no real excitement or action. I alomost left the movie theater but I kept thinking the movie would improve. It did'nt!! It was a real dissapointment and waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE, Nov. 3 2002
This movie is a WASTE of TIME and MONEY. I wanted to walk out of the theatre

5.0 out of 5 stars Traffic, not your typical Half Baked, June 8 2004
"itscashed" (houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
this movie ruled. the shaky camera and grittyness is awesome. but instead of some review on how it is an academy award brilliant film of substance abuse,etc i will tell you how cool it is, even if those cool parts glorify drug dealers.
i like the part where that girl is at the party and the kid topher grace from that 70s show is talking all philosophically cause hes so stoned. and the kid on the other couch is like 'im so high' and he passes out and they drop him off at the ER and the cop comes and he yells the F word. ya i cant say it cause of amazon.com policies. its also funny when he has to get that girl messed up in a seedy hotel downtown to get with her. and theyre like doing trashy drugs too, whats up with that? since when do private school seniors do heroin through their foot? man i thought it was all about coors light and weed. guess not.
the movie starts out cool too when benicio del toro is in the mexican desert with his highway patrol giant sunglasses waiting for this plane to go over them thats traffiking cocaine. hes such a mexican badass. and his buddy cop next to him is playing game boy. thats the first noise you here in this 3 hour plus long drug war epic: mario jumping over a green tube. i love it.
another great part is when don cheadle and that funny peurto rican guy luiz something shoot that drug dealer in a san diego chuck e. cheese place. and the clown gets scared and goes back into the kitchen.
o ya when michael douglas takes topher grace out of spanish class and the teachers like where are you going and hes like im taking seth on a field trip and he takes him to the ghetto to find his prostitute heroin junkie 17 year old daughter.
traffic is a great movie cause it has moments like this. stephen s. the director is a badass who makes movies like the limey and this and the writer is good too. hes like 21 and he got the oscar for best adapted screenplay. this movie rules for stoners, concerned parents and politicians alike.

‹ Previous | 142 43 44 | Next ›

Traffic (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Traffic (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] by Steven Soderbergh (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 42.99