4.0 out of 5 stars Another nice release from Alliance
****UPDATE****
Since I first wrote my brief review of the Alliance blu-ray edition of Traffic back in 2009, a few newer releases of Traffic have been released on blu-ray:
--A Universal Studios release (under the Alliance banner here in Canada) was released on April 27th, 2010. It pretty much has the same picture and audio quality as the 2009 Alliance release...
Published on March 13 2009 by C. Denison

3.0 out of 5 stars USA FIlms / Alliance version of blu-ray
oddly enough, even though i rate this 3 stars, i am preferring this alliance blu-ray xfer of the film over the universal and criterion, which have been altered from it's original theatrical presentation ...... to be sharper and to essentially have more robust colour timing (by possible removal of filters that were used originally)...... all approved by the director...
Published 13 months ago by Paul Shikata

1.0 out of 5 stars I've seen better film on teeth, July 15 2003
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
Hands down this the worst movie I have ever seen, long boring, I fell asleep 6 times. I wanted to leave before the end, but my wife wanted to ride this lemon out. A terrible film, a terrible waste of talent, I have seen better film on teeth. If you want or need a nap, then by all means, watch this lousy unbearable tedious lemon of a movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars HORRIBLE, Nov. 3 2002
This movie is a WASTE of TIME and MONEY. I wanted to walk out of the theatre

1.0 out of 5 stars Snoozer, May 27 2002
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This film can be accurately summarized with one word: BORING.
I'm getting sick and tired of getting suckered in by these "star-studded" and "award winning" movies. If this "movie" can get four academy awards then a movie documenting cars rusting should be able to easily qualify for eight academy awards.

1.0 out of 5 stars was this movie about drugs?, May 21 2002
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
I really don't know where to start. This really had to be the worst movie made in 2001. I just couldn't understand it. The story, or stories in the film. Who played the bad guys? And what was that stupid speech about blacks always seen by whites as drug addicts, that we should undertstand and feel sorry for them because Hey, that's all they know and do to survie. Wasn't the black guy giving the drugs to the girl and pratically having her as a his sex slave, because she...being stupid and rich and having nothing to do with her time needs her drugs. I couldn't stand her and wished she died in the film. She just made me want to beat some sense into her. This is what happens when we give everything to our kids (meaning allowances of over 100 dollars a week) so they start to get bored and have no sense of what it means to work for money or do with time after school. We really need to teach our kids how to be human beings instead of babying them and worrying about hurting there feeling. Because if we don't then we will see our kids turn into monsters who don't care who they hurt, rob, sale there bodies or do stupid things (like Jackass). If I was Michael Douglas I would have beat some reality into the girl and thrown her out on her butt. And the guy who won the supporting Oscar. NO Mexican speaks that way. The accent was wrong and the way the held a converstation. It was like some ignoramus decided to be a screenwriter. What they should have done was go to Mexico and get a real translator and really done a decent job. I Mexican-American, born In Houston, raised in Houston and I consider myself a U.S. citizen just like anyone born here would, white, black, latino, etc. (But I don't consider myself a Mexican, because I've been to Mexico and they don't like Americanized latinos), and I have relatives in Mexico and they laughed at the accent and the stupid conversation the two latino actors were having. It was stupid. A Puerto-Rican accent?, when the character in the movie was Mexican? Makes no sence. The only character I liked was the Chaterine Zeta-Jones role. She was cool. I guess it was the pregancy thing. A pregnant lady who is desperate, who turns into a female Corleone was cool. That was it. But I hate it and I will hate any movie that is politcally correct. Hollywood should not be afraid to show the ugly side of all races, Black, White, Hispanic, Oreantal, and so on. It is real life and real life affects all races...and that means drugs too affect all races.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a waste of time and money!, Jan. 22 2001
Patrick K. Fines "jedivader" (Maryland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
If I wanted to watch a documentary on drugs, I would have stayed home and watched PBS. I was bored throughout the entire movie. There was no action, in fact the movie was so quiet you could here the projector going the whole time. I want to watch a movie for entertainment value, to escape reality. This movie is in no way deserving of any awards. Do not see this...!

5.0 out of 5 stars Traffic, not your typical Half Baked, June 8 2004
"itscashed" (houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
this movie ruled. the shaky camera and grittyness is awesome. but instead of some review on how it is an academy award brilliant film of substance abuse,etc i will tell you how cool it is, even if those cool parts glorify drug dealers.
i like the part where that girl is at the party and the kid topher grace from that 70s show is talking all philosophically cause hes so stoned. and the kid on the other couch is like 'im so high' and he passes out and they drop him off at the ER and the cop comes and he yells the F word. ya i cant say it cause of amazon.com policies. its also funny when he has to get that girl messed up in a seedy hotel downtown to get with her. and theyre like doing trashy drugs too, whats up with that? since when do private school seniors do heroin through their foot? man i thought it was all about coors light and weed. guess not.
the movie starts out cool too when benicio del toro is in the mexican desert with his highway patrol giant sunglasses waiting for this plane to go over them thats traffiking cocaine. hes such a mexican badass. and his buddy cop next to him is playing game boy. thats the first noise you here in this 3 hour plus long drug war epic: mario jumping over a green tube. i love it.
another great part is when don cheadle and that funny peurto rican guy luiz something shoot that drug dealer in a san diego chuck e. cheese place. and the clown gets scared and goes back into the kitchen.
o ya when michael douglas takes topher grace out of spanish class and the teachers like where are you going and hes like im taking seth on a field trip and he takes him to the ghetto to find his prostitute heroin junkie 17 year old daughter.
traffic is a great movie cause it has moments like this. stephen s. the director is a badass who makes movies like the limey and this and the writer is good too. hes like 21 and he got the oscar for best adapted screenplay. this movie rules for stoners, concerned parents and politicians alike.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste your money!!, Jan. 27 2001
Scott Wilkinson "cimtech" (Alpine, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Traffic (Widescreen) (DVD)
This movie was the worst movie I have seen in quite some time. I expected much more with the great cast of charactors. During the entire movie, the scenes were jumping back and forth from one part of the world to another. The camera scenes were continually jerky and very destracting, along with poor color. The plot was the generic drug cartel theme with no real excitement or action. I alomost left the movie theater but I kept thinking the movie would improve. It did'nt!! It was a real dissapointment and waste of money.

2.0 out of 5 stars dude, April 30 2004
This review is from: NEW Traffic (DVD) (DVD)
dude this movie was HILARIOUS!!! its about this dude, and he couldnt find his car

1.0 out of 5 stars Pice of crap dont by this, March 6 2009
Carl Touchette (Quebec) - See all my reviews
I never seen pice of crap like theese the picture quality is worse then my old VHS please dont by this, Alliance dont make any menu any extra, the only thin you can setup is sound that it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not good enough, Oct. 22 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Traffic (DVD)
If you thought this was good, I have one word for you; Traffik.
Go find the original German/British co-production made in the 80s, that this is a merely average remake of. This is too glossy and fails to capture the desperation, fear and loathing of the original mini-series.
If you've not seen Traffik, this is worth watching (especially if you prefer glamor to realism). If on the other hand, you have seen the original, this will probably disappoint.

ARRAY(0xaf56b954)

Traffic (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]
Traffic (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray] by Steven Soderbergh (Blu-ray - 2012)
CDN$ 42.99 CDN$ 41.24