5.0 out of 5 stars Big booming surprise.
Published on Jan. 20 2012 by Trollking2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Kapow
Bing! bang! boom! Kapow, typical action movie, with a short story line and lots of FX. Nice to see all these action movie actors toghether in their element.
Published on Dec 29 2010 by Cah-Ling Carisse

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Big booming surprise., Jan. 20 2012
I wasn't holding out much hope for this film, I mean, how does one deal with all the egos? The film was cliched, ham fisted, more than a tad shallow and totally self serving, ludicrous is a word I was use too, and having said that I LOVED THIS PICTURE. My Lord what a guilty pleasure. Waaaay too much fun. Heck even my wife liked it. I'm not going to tell you who is in it, nor blow some of the best lines, just go get the damn thing. I can not wait for the sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Much Good Fun, April 1 2012
I watched this movie with my husband and we both enjoyed it quite a bit. It had a little bit of everything, action, humor, fight scenes, explosions, car chases and the list of celebrities in this movie is great. So if you're looking for a great action flick that you can enjoy with your significant other, this is the movie for you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kapow, Dec 29 2010

1.0 out of 5 stars don't work, Jan. 22 2013
This review is from: The Expendables (Extended Director's Cut) [Blu-ray + Digital Copy] (Blu-ray)
this Blu-ray does not work on my Blu-ray player and our computer witch is also Blu-ray
this is a good movie as we watched it on the tv but for some reason it won't work on Blu-ray player

5.0 out of 5 stars The Expendable: perfect gift for my grandpa!, Dec 11 2012
Growing up, I watched movies with Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jet Li and all those guys! My grandfather was a huge fan of those actors! I huge fan of action movies! Don't need to have a precise mind blowing scenario or storyline, just "action, action, action"! So, I bought it for him for Christmas! Ordered it on Amazon, got it a couple of days later in perfect condition!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Expendables-a movie LESS than the sum of its parts!, Nov. 26 2010
Robert Badgley (St Thomas,Ontario,Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It is rare I do a review on a movie this soon after being on DVD but,alas,miracles do happen and here I am.The Expendables released in August/10 stars many major and minor action stars of the present and past including Bruce Willis,Arnold Schwarzenegger,Sylvester Stallone,Jet Li,Dolph Lundgren,Steve Austin,Mickey Rourke,Eric Roberts,Jason Statham,Terry Crews and Randy Couture.I was disappointed in this film because with all these actors I had very high expectations;maybe too high. Stallone's direction I thought was acceptable,as was the plot.
The story which is as see through as silk stockings,starts with a hostage taking on a ship off of Africa(some might argue Mr Stallone is keeped it direct,but simple).Stallone leads a mercenary team to the rescue and does it with quick dispatch.However team member Gunner played by Lundgren(doing his fave psycho-soldier routine from Universal Soldier)goes a little over the top when he wants to hang one of the pirate hostage takers.He's stopped and is summarily kicked off the team for being untrustworthy.
Back home team leader Barney(Stallone) is summoned to a meeting with a Mr.Church(Willis)in a....where else?..church.At the same time he has invited an old rival of Barney's called Trent(Schwarzenegger)to outbid Barney,if he's so inclined,for the job.The job is to go to an imaginary island called Vilena in the Gulf of Mexico to overthrow the dictator there.Trent tells Church to give the job to Barney as he "likes to play in the jungle"(referencing his Rambo days)and walks out.Church asks Barney what Trent's problem is and he replies"He wants to be President"(referencing his current political life).
Barney and a small reconnaissance team suss out the island and barely escape with their lives.It seems the man pulling the dictators strings is an ex CIA agent gone rogue called Munroe.Barney now knows that the real target is Munroe not the dictator.However he had a brief encounter with the dictators daughter on the island who is vehemently opposed to her fathers rule but elected to stay behind when given the chance to leave.He can't get her out of his mind and decides to return to rescue her,without his team.But the team elects to follow their leader and a long and bitter struggle ensues with Stallone killing Munroe and ending the reign of terror on Vilena.
This film is not much more than the window dressing that covers it,or a book with a lovely dust jacket with nothing inside,if you will.We have all these well known actors,buffed up,with testosterone oozing everywhere and nothing much at all to do or say;and what they do say and do is predictable and sometimes unappealing.But what,in the end,Stallone brought these guys together to do,he succeeds in tremendously.This group of guys is not here to do Shakespeare or to win Academy Awards.Stallone knows the appeal of the action film genre,as he has been part of it for most of his career,along with all the others on board.No,action and only action,INTENSE action,action BEYOND action,is what is served up in large dollops here.And I think most guys would agree,it went down mighty good.The action is not for the feint of heart,with over the top explosions,kills and lots and lots of blood and gore.Also,think about this aspect of Stallone's train of thought re making this movie in the first place.Not only will the film attract HIS fans,but also those of each and every other action man on board this film.This is a film that could not help but be a win,win at the box office.Mr Stallone is NO dummy folks.
The film is about 103 minutes long and comes in its 2:35:1 widescreen format.The transfer has been well done and the Dolby 5.1 sound is very good.Extras include an audio commentary by Stallone,a making-of featurette,deleted scenes,a gag reel & trailers,on the Blu-Ray copy only.The DVD copy has just the trailer as an extra,and there is the digital copy for your computer.
In conclusion what should have been a great send up of past action movies with a heavy hitting cast,the likes of which you rarely see,was a little disappointing.However Stallone and company did deliver the INTENSE action they set out to,just not at the level I thought they could and should have.This combo pack is certainly a good buy.3 1/2 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3 2014
Gabriel Daniel (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Très bon service et produit.
Merci,
Gabriel Daniel

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Movie, May 21 2014
A great throwback to the classic 80's action movie. A truly great homage to a genre that gave us many cult classics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Package, Feb. 12 2014
This movie was a requested gift from my nephew and I have had no complaints so far! Merry Christmas Nephew.

5.0 out of 5 stars No words to describe how awesome this is, Jan. 19 2014
Bolder (Ontario, CAN) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Finally all the greatest action movie stars all in one place. If you like shooting, violence, silly character banter, humor, explosions, car chases, then this is the movie for you. I have watched this movie at least 10 times and love it each time, definitely one of my top 10 favorites.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›