5.0 out of 5 stars Not So Gentle, Our George
I love Brit mysteries and this new series is one of the best. Well thought out plots and wonderful dialogue. They capture the feel of the sixties incredibly well. Worthwhile viewing.
Published on Jan. 11 2009 by Dave and Joe

(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

5.0 out of 5 stars George Gently, Feb. 8 2009
M. veitch (Innisfil Ontario) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Gently Series 1 (DVD)
Martin Shaw at his best and superb supporting cast. Best British Drama since Judge John Deed (which remains unavailable on DVD in Canada?)

5.0 out of 5 stars Gently: Series 1, July 7 2013
This review is from: George Gently Series 1 (DVD)
I wasn't sure about going back to the 60's but Gently hooked me in and now I'm a big fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars George Gently, June 30 2013
Lillian Mayes (Thornbury, On. Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: George Gently Series 1 (DVD)
I chose to try this series because I like Martin Shaw. I was not disappointed. Completely enjoyed all episodes. I recommend it to all my family and friends who enjoy a good mystery. However I do warn them of the cost and don't know that I will be purchasing anymore because I find the prices too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Martin Shaw in some of his best work, Jan. 26 2015
RedMtl "RedMtl" (Montréal, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: George Gently Series 1 (DVD)
As a fan of Martin Shaw, I am predisposed to like his work. However, this particular series has been good from the start and continues to be excellent. For those who are not familiar with U. K. productions, a "series" often only has a handful of episodes in a "season" and this should be noted. I have seen reviews elsewhere that comment in dismay that the "set" of DVDs only has a handful of episodes.

In this series Shaw portrays a detective who is noted for being less than personable in some instances. As the series starts he is shown at the interment of his late wife, who has been victim of a revenge killing. This forms the basis of the initial season of the series. From there, it builds into an excellent portrayal of both a detective struggling with a difficult past, and his young partner who is learning the ropes.

In general, I recommend the entire series, but it would be wise not to jump to the subsequent "seasons" prior to seeing the first episodes. After this first set the order, while important, matters less.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's not a good series. Watch Morse on Netflicks, Feb. 8 2015
D. Hidlebaugh (Canada) - See all my reviews
Save your money. It's not a good series. Watch Morse on Netflicks instead

3.0 out of 5 stars George Gently: Series 1, Sept. 24 2011
Duchess "Duchess" (Edmonton, Alberta, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: George Gently Series 1 (DVD)
I watched these DVD's for the first time and even though my husband wasn't too thrilled about it, I found that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. There were some shooting scenes, and the shows dealt a lot with corruption in the police force itself but I guess that was to be expected for that period of time (the 1960's). The plot summary basically explains it. The two main characters also made it pretty good. Here, I felt that Gently's partner was a lot like Barnaby's sidekicks -- brash and like to have control and Gently, even though he was still a bit rough, he still brought out his gentler side to make it work. I also have to admit that it was good in the sense of no major car chases and many gory scenes, and also no 'depressing home life scenes', but it still does not stand up to our tastes of what Midsomer Murders offers for the storyline. Still it was something new to watch.

George Gently Series 1 [Blu-ray]