Most Helpful First | Newest First
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars "There's something that bothers me",
This review is from: Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection 1994-2003 (DVD)XXXXX
"Columbo" is a murder mystery television series, starring Peter Falk (1927 to 2011) as Lieutenant Columbo, a homicide detective with the Los Angeles Police Department.
This series popularized the inverted detective story format or "HowdHeCatchem" format where in almost every episode began by showing the commission of a murder by a killer. There is no "WhoDunIt" element.
The plot mainly revolves around the killer or killers, whose identity is already known to the audience, and how he, she, or they will be caught and exposed.
Columbo is a friendly, verbose, dishevelled-looking detective (his trademark attire is a rumpled raincoat over a suit and tie) of Italian decent who is consistently underestimated by his suspects. He has increasingly irritating, pestering behaviour with those he thinks committed the crime. Columbo has certain unforgettable catchphrases (one which titles this review).
The episodes were broadcast from (1968 to 1978) and from (1989 to 2003). There were 69 episodes (45 + 24) in total.
This collection contains the seven episodes that were televised in the years (1994 to 2003). They are presented in chronological sequence. The titles of these episodes and my brief impression of them are given below:
(1) Butterfly in shades of grey: 1 hr, 32 min; Guest star: William Shatner; Filmed in 1993; Excellent
(2) Undercover: 1 hr, 33 min; Guest stars: Ed Begley, Jr., Tyne Daly; Filmed in 1994; Deviates from a standard episode but acceptable
(3) Strange bedfellows: 1 hr, 33 min; Guest stars: George Wendt, Rod Steiger; Filmed in 1995; Obvious in parts but very good
(4) A trace of murder: 1 hr, 32 min; Filmed in 1997; Very good
(5) Ashes to ashes: 1 hr, 30 min; Filmed in 1998; Guest stars: Patrick McGoohan, Rue McClanahan, Sally Kellerman; Excellent
(6) Murder with too many notes: 1 hr, 29 min; Filmed in 1999; Very good although I had trouble with the solution to the crime
(7) Columbo likes the nightlife: 1 hr, 28 min; Filmed in 2003; Very good although I had trouble with the solution to the crime; This is the very last episode of the complete series.
In each episode, the screen goes black for a second or two between scenes.
Finally, this collection (which was released in 2012) has no extras.
In conclusion, this collection gives you a chance to see the legendary Peter Falk play the equally legendary trench coat-wearing Lieutenant Columbo. Oh! "Just one more thing." (I'm kidding! This is another Columbo catchphrase.)
(1994 to 2003 ; 10 hr, 35 min; 7 episodes; 3 discs; 2 episodes per disc with the final disc having 3 episodes; wide screen)
<<Stephen PLETKO, London, Ontario, Canada>>
5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this program when it was on TV,
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection 1994-2003 (DVD)I bought this collection becausse i missed this series a lot when it went off the TV.
Could watch it over & over enjoying it every time!!
5 of 7 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Good Gift,
This review is from: Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection 1994-2003 (DVD)I bought this for my husbands b'day---he really enjoyed watching all of the movies.They reflect a more innocent time in TV---BEFORE CSI.I will probably buy another in the series.
Most Helpful First | Newest First
Columbo: Mystery Movie Collection 1994-2003 (DVD - 2012)
CDN$ 30.99 CDN$ 15.49