5.0 out of 5 stars A TRICK OF LIGHT
Published on July 25 2002 by Suzanne Coleburn

3.0 out of 5 stars A Trick of Light
This was not a bad book. It kept me reading wanted to find out how it ended. Did not end like I thought it would but it still was ok
Published 22 months ago by jamie leblanc

5.0 out of 5 stars A TRICK OF LIGHT, July 25 2002
Suzanne Coleburn (Berlin, MD USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Paperback)
"Karen Blomain takes the controversial subject of bigamy and makes it into something poignant, thought provoking and compassionate with a very compelling plot and unforgettable characters. A TRICK OF LIGHT can't help but touch your heart in all the nooks and crannies as it explores the creativity of an extraordinarily talented author whose characters seem so real that they shatter you emotionally as you become involved in their lives. When you finish the book, you can't help but wonder what you would do if faced with the same set of circumstances. Yes, it certainly is food for some lengthy discussions isn't it when you think about bigamy, middle-aged sexuality, agoraphobia, and widowhood!"
A TRICK OF LIGHT is one heartbreaking eye-opener as to how something like this could ever happen. Ms. Blomain handles it with the finesse of a master storyteller. I know this reader cried her eyes out many a time while reading this emotional roller coaster of a novel. Karen Blomain delves into the deepest of human emotions as she takes a woman's love for her husband, her memories of their life together, his death and what it means to his two wives, and mixes it with the stark reality of facing the truth behind years of deception and lies that were the result of a man's love and compassion for the two women he loved. The twister is that Hattie finds herself caught in the same web that caught up her dear Ben, a man who experienced the dilemma of falling in love with two women and adjusted his life to accommodate the two families.
This is the first book in a trilogy spanning 40 years in the lives of three women in a small town. Look for A TRICK OF LIGHT as a CBS movie by Barbara Streisand's Barwood Films in the future!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trick of Light, Dec 14 2002
Jason M. Schossler (Oaks, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Paperback)
A Trick of Light is a beautifully accessible novel with specific characters and events shaped by the real world. They are touching and familiar, and the voice that tells of them is honest, respectful, and unpretentious. What is particularly impressive is the construction of the novel's chapters. In some cases, they are no longer than a prose poem, bringing our attention to the smallest nuances, pauses, gestures, that collectively bring a character to life. In a sense, one could argue that the book works cinematically in the way that it moves gracefully from scene to scene, but it is the poetry of the language that really shines through and makes each "scene" satisfying and moving. What is more? It's a page-turner, a piece of literature that is immediately engrossing and one I found very hard to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Trick of Light, Sept. 12 2003
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Paperback)
A Trick of Light took me away from my own experience to a place of more understanding and empathy. Karen Blomain is a storyteller in the tradition of the Irish seanchai. No pressure, but I'm looking for the second in her quartet.

5.0 out of 5 stars I felt love, confusion, Oct. 7 2014
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
I was thoroughly involved from chapter 1. I felt love, confusion, sympathy, anger, and a warm sense of family all while on something of an investigative journey. I couldn't put it down and it was over too soon. Everything a book should be!

4.0 out of 5 stars A TRICK OF LIGHT, April 11 2014
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
A wonderful read. I was held by the hand by the writer as she took me through the lives of two women. Very thought provoking and interesting story. Forgiveness was the essence.

1.0 out of 5 stars Quite terrible, Feb. 23 2014
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
I wish I had not purchased this book. I got drawn in by the storyline but quickly realized the major problems with the timeline and plausibility of the events. None of the characters were developed and by the time I gave up reading I couldn't have cared less if any one of them had lived or died. How a book like this gets published I will never understand.

2.0 out of 5 stars Boring, Aug. 2 2013
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
Did not like the main character, a boring, repressed, frumpy, conservative, old housewife. I could not relate to her in any way. The story dragged on till I abandoned it. couldn't finish it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pass, May 31 2013
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
The story started out well and I expected it to be an usual "female" oriented book but I was really disappointed that towards the end the writer tries to justify bigamy....and the protagonist is weak excuse for a woman and we certainly don't need characters who accept a husband's cheating ways! I'm sorry....but to me, there's no grey here! Hence the two stars and had I known the content before, I would have given it a pass even if available free of cost!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sloppy, April 27 2013
Amazon Customer (Ottawa, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
Too sentimental. Takes too long and to little action. Moves too slowly
I won't try any more of her books.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy read, March 26 2013
This review is from: A Trick of Light (Kindle Edition)
It was interesting and kept my interest.The ending was a let down and could lead to a second book . Overall I enjoyed it.

A Trick of Light