5.0 out of 5 stars All you need, Aug. 14 2011
L. Guilbault "L.G." (brooks, alberta Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
This is probably the most visually stunning and in depth look at everything within the universe. It covers 8 different areas and includes stunning real images.

1.Big Bang
2.Black Holes
3.Alien Galaxies
4.Stars
5.Supernovas
6.Extreme Planets
7.Solar Systems
8.Alien Moons

This series is perfect for those who are just learning and is extremely entertaining for those who have been in love with the universe all their life.

I highly recommend this series to anyone who is fascincated by what we see above us

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value for the price, Nov. 26 2011
John Thomas Anderson (Southern Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
This series is extremely good from both a visual, audio and technical perspective. It's also an outstanding value as you get eight separate 45 minute long documentaries on everything from Black Holes to Other Galaxies. It comes in a single sized keepcase with two discs (4 episodes on each) and a double sided cover that shows the episodes through the inside of the case.

I wish there was a version on Blue Ray, but even on this dvd the CGI is outstanding, the full 5.1 soundtrack will rattle your windows as you see close-ups of our sun and the commentaries are never boring.

This is one documentary series that can educate the whole family without them even realizing that they're being educated. It looks superb on my 61" screen and sounds superb as well. And all this for a mere $20.

If you're into astronomy, science and superb visuals, this is a no-brainer!

J. A.

EDITED - Nov. 19, 2012

This series is now available in a Blu ray edition for around the same price which should look even more spectacular than this dvd edition. You might want to consider it if you have a blu ray player. Everything else remains the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic production. Amazing narrative, Oct. 15 2011
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
I had the opportunity to watch several shows about astronomy but this one tops my list. It's very well produced, full of astonishing images, both real and virtual, that perfectly illustrate how and why things are the way they are in the universe. There are also entertained comments by famous astronomers you will likely recognize. The show is over 320 minutes long. Good enough to keep me entertained for several days. The narrative from Mike Rowe is also a key differentiator that makes the watching of this DVD very pleasant. His narrative has an element of mystery and fascination that keeps your eyes and ears on the TV from beginning to end.

The following is the structure of the DVD:

DVD 1:

1- Extreme Planets
2- Supernovas
3- Alien Solar Systems
4- Aliens Moons

I am looking forward to a continuation and hope to hear Mike Rowe there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!, Dec 8 2011
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
For everyone who is curious about our universe but has not much existing knowledge about the subject, this is an absolutely amazing DVD set! Understandable for everyone (even though I had to rewind certain passages once in a while to fully get it)! And if you can get the book of the same title with the DVD set, in order to deepen your understanding, the whole thing is even better! Fascinating, thrilling, amazing.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Some new topics, more depth., Oct. 2 2011
Andrew in Calgary - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
Tnis one has some new topics that I haven't seen in other videos about the cosmos. I especially liked the depiction of supernovas, not just Type 1A but others as well. I for one am ready for a video that educates us on supernovas in even greater detail.

The public is ready for deeper stuff, more speciailized stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought I knew it all and this would just be a refresher, Dec 3 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
Great scot someone changed the physics on me. Every time I turned around I had to unlearn something. This is well presented without too much redundancy. Most things are explained to may satisfaction. Occasionally they do make a leap and leave a whole in the logic. However they fill it in on a later episode.

I watched many parallel versions as Through the Wormhole and some older presentations from Steven Hawking. But none are quite as clear and compelling as this presentation. I watched an episode a night as let it mill around before the next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, Informative, Universal series, July 20 2013
This review is from: How The Universe Works (Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
Me and my son love this series. We have PVR'd and watched all of the series. Very informative and exciting to watch. A must see for anyone and everyone. In depth exploration of the universe that we live in from the very beginning, right from the Big Bang to the modern day, as well as how Astronomers and Physicists alike have discovered these fascinating explorations and findings. We are very excited and are looking forward to watching this series again on Blu-Ray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, Jan. 3 2013
This review is from: How The Universe Works (Blu-Ray) (Blu-ray)
I personnaly enjoyed immensely. I had previously recorded some episodes but finally decided to purchase the series and I did not regret it. I also previously purchased a few astronomy books and now I can verify more closely the information presented; not that I think it is inaccurate, but as a teacher, I can reinforced what I have learned by seeing different points of view or presentation.

4.0 out of 5 stars How the Universe works, March 12 2013
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
Enjoyed the DVD. Very informative and well presented. Sometimes repeats itself. Will consider other DVD's making an attempt to explain the Universe. Obviously a lot has been learned in the last 10 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars How The Universe Works, Dec 21 2012
This review is from: How The Universe Works (DVD)
Excellent video set. Very detailed explanation about our universe from the view of the modern science and latest discoveries. Was pleasure to watch. Amazing photography and digital effects.

ARRAY(0xa23353cc)

How The Universe Works (Blu-Ray)
CDN$ 22.99