5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality! Can't wait for final release!
The 5.1 surround sound and video quality are amazing. I'm not sure I like the reason for this small release, but I can't wait for the final.

I see complaints about the 4:3 aspect, but the show was filmed on 4:3 and to make it 16:9 would require trimming.

If you love the show you will love this.
Published on Feb. 5 2012 by TNGFan

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect!
The video quality was almost perfect, except few artifacts popping for a moment in few places. Hopefully it can be cleaned.
I'm not sure if it's me, but the intro audio of the first episode didn't sound good, but the audio for the episode itself was great. The music seems to be limited to front speakers only. I hope the mastering crew can expand music, during...
Published on Feb. 3 2012 by dimar

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality! Can't wait for final release!, Feb. 5 2012
This review is from: Star Trek: The Next Generation-The Next Level [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)

If you love the show you will love this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Release Perfect for any TNG Fan!, Feb. 7 2012
As most of you know the whole TNG series is being remastered for a Blu-Ray release. It is an exciting time to be a TNG fan. This series ran from 1987 to 1994 and was arguably the best Star Trek series ever produced. We all have our favorites though :)

Anyway the remastering I have seen on this disc is impressive. I have the original DVD releases and I have compared the two. The difference is substantial! Images are clear, colors are better and overall it just looks way better. Even the special effects have been updated and THEY LOOK WAY BETTER!!

Some people have the following concerns:
1) Why is the show being released in a 4:3 format and not 16:9.

Quite simply the show was not filmed for 16:9, from what I understand they did film in with 35mm film but all the scenes, the actor placement, EVERYTHING was setup with 4:3 in mind. According to Mike Okuda sometimes the outer parts of the film have film equipment, crew and other actors standing in them so creating a true 16:9 image is not possible without seriously changing the image or using a computer to remove actors, equipment on the 16:9 image. Anyone who watched this show growing up will understand that TV was just not filmed in 16:9 back in those days, NO ONE had a widescreen TV, they just didn't exist yet! So obviously TV studios did not bother with it. So get over it. This is how TNG was meant to be seen.

2) Why are they calling this HD when it is only 4:3.

Aspect ratio (i.e. 4:3, 16:9) does NOT indicate HD. The amount of resolution does. In essence the image is 1080p but the other edges of the screen are just black. Consider some of the big movies these days. The blu ray releases STILL have black bars on the top or bottom. Do you know why? Because the image does NOT fit your widescreen TV. Now that we have widescreens we can have the opportunity to see our favorite movies the way we saw then in the theatre (i.e. no cropping). Before widescreens companies would cut the sides and use a technique called Pan and Scan to fit it to your TV. However, since movie theater screens are STILL a bigger aspect ratio than our wide screen TVs we still have black bars on our movies. This TNG Blu Ray release is still HD even though it is 4:3.

Overall, This is a great sampler disc for any TNG fan and should help you weather the wait until the season 1 box set comes out later this yet. Great video, great audio!! Can't wait till season 1 comes out!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, Feb. 23 2012
Simply great. Hope that the complete seasons won't be too expensive.

The hd is remarkable. The old fx look great. Looking forward for seasons 3 and up !

5.0 out of 5 stars One giant leap towards perfection video, Feb. 8 2012
The gain in quality (video) is such that after having watched a single episode I can not imagine buying the DVD version. I will wait one day, I fear distant, where the price of the integral of the series will come down to an altitude accessible to my wallet.

Episodes on the Blu-ray:

(Episode 1, 2) - Encounter at Farpoint 1 and 2
(Episode 65) - Sins of the Father
(Episode 125) - The Inner Light

-------------------------------------------------------

Un bond de géant vers la perfection vidéo

Le gain en qualité (vidéo) est tel qu'après avoir visionné un seul épisode je ne peux concevoir acheter la version DVD. J'attendrai donc un jour, lointain je crains, où le prix de l'intégrale de la série descendra à une altitude accessible à mon portefeuille.

Épisodes sur le Blu-ray:

(Épisode 1, 2) - Rendez-vous à Farpoint - 1 et 2
(Épisode 65) - Les péchés du père
(Épisode 125) - Lumière intérieure

4.0 out of 5 stars ST:TNG Bluray, Feb. 1 2012
I am a fan of ST:TNG, never bought the full series on DVD but have seen a few episodes. The picture quality on this is substantially improved over the DVD version, not grainy in the least. The sound also seems well done though it was really the image quality that I noticed more.

My biggest complaint is that this is still 4:3 aspect ratio. Perhaps that is a limitation due to how it was originally filmed. I do not pretend to understand the process of remastering this to Bluray, but 16:9 would have been a nice touch.

For a teaser it was well done. 3 Episodes total (Encounter at Farpoint part 1 and 2 (first episode), Sins of the Father (Worf) and the one where Picard plays a flute or something). Based on this sample disc, I could see myself taking the plunge and purchasing the complete set when it is released to Bluray.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Star Trek movie., Jan. 26 2014
This is the sort of movie that you either like or dislike. If you do like it, like most people does, then there's really not much to say about it. You simply sit down with a beer and you enjoy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars great visuals, insanely good audio, May 1 2013
I don't know if I only watched TNG on a crappy old TV but The Next Level on my big tv with surround sound is worth the cost by itself. The sound of the engines of the ship is absolutely amazing. And the cleaned up/fixed up video was pretty good too. I'm not sure why they included some clunky episodes but overall, well worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars hd/blue ray star trek, Jan. 2 2013
Great transformation to blue ray on this disk. My favourite is the Inner Light, having seen it many times, but never like this. From the opening credits to the end, it was so clear!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly as described., March 8 2012
Item was received fast, was exactly as described, in perfect quality, and mostly at a lower price than elsewhere for the same thing in new condition.

4.0 out of 5 stars As promised and more, Feb. 17 2012
Sugith Varughese (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
This sample of 3 episodes of Star Trek: TNG delivers. I only wish they could have remade the show to wide screen! But seriously, the image and sound quality is exemplary and the update to the effects makes the entire experience of watching these 3 great episodes a huge upgrade from the originals on TV!

Star Trek: The Next Generation-The Next Level [Blu-ray]