5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing machine!!!
Published 23 months ago by superkathygirl

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last as long as it should
Published 10 months ago by Vivian W

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing machine!!!, Nov. 27 2012
This review is from: Zojirushi BB-PAC20 Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker (Kitchen)
I've been making bread in my Cuisinart Bread machine for my family until it broke down a few months ago. I have spent quite awhile doing research on various machines and was very impressed with the reviews that Zojirushi bread machines received. I decided on the Zojirushi Virtuoso because of the modification made with the heat element in the lid to help brown the top of the bread. I figured, that if I am going to invest this kind of money in a machine I want the one with updated features.
First, I am truly impressed with how quickly I received my purchase from Amazon. I bought the item on a Saturday and got free shipping (which was supposed to take 5-7 days) and it arrived two days later. The packaging was great, no damage to the box, padding inside to ensure that it didn't slide around.

When I unwrapped the machine I was immediately thrilled with the quality of the machine itself. Compared to my Cusinart bread machine you can tell you get what you pay for. The machine is solid and doesn't feel like tin like my previous machine. The bread pan is also impressive. I love the handles on each side (which is also a new feature on this Zojirushi model), the pan is also very solid with a good weight to it. Another big improvement from my previous machine is how the easy it is to insert and remove the pan into the machine (this is the one major thing I hated about the Cusinart bread machine).

The first bread I made was Challah (egg bread). This is used on the dough setting then braided by hand and finished in the oven. The dough setting worked perfectly. The double paddle made a big difference in the texture of the dough. I then made a bread machine recipe for oatmeal bread (my mom used to make this when I was a kid). I found the recipe online. It turned out great, it didn't rise as nicely as I would have liked, but it browned perfectly and it was yummy.

Tonight I decided to try the original recipe my mother used to make (not meant for the bread machine) and modified it slightly. The results were AMAZING!! You can take any bread recipe and modify it slightly for your bread machine.

Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try.

Wholesome Oatmeal Bread:
1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/2 Quick Oats
2 3/4 cups of white bread flour
2 1/4 tsp of bread machine yeast
(I put the ingredients in the machine in this order making an indentation in the flour on top for the yeast to sit)

Put the machine on the Basic Regualr cycle. I like the medium crust setting.

Enjoy!!

I highly recommend this machine. If you are looking to invest in a quality machine this is worth every penny, I've had a cheaper machine and it only lasted a year before it completely died. This machine is also incredibly quiet and it's nice not to have to babysit it to make sure it doesn't bounce off the counter during the kneading cycle...LOL!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes a good loaf, April 5 2012
This bread machine is quiet in operation and seems well-made, so far; we've had it for only a couple of weeks. The bread loaves are evenly browned and have a good texture. Before this, we had a Cuisinart which kept malfuncioning - we had to have it replaced three times and finally gave up. The one feature about the Cuisinart I liked was that it gave a signal for removing the paddle if you wanted to remove it; the Zojirushi doesn't offer that option, and I haven't yet figured out whether it's even possible take the paddles out before the final rise with this machine -- but on the other hand, the paddles don't seem to create much of a problem; just sometimes a bit of crust gets caught beneath one or another and makes it more difficult to release the loaf when it's done. Altogether this seems like a really good machine; I hope it lasts well.

The recipes that come with it seem to contain too much sugar and salt, so I've adjusted them so that they have half the salt called for, and decreased the sugar as well to achieve a good balance for the yeast. I also use olive oil instead of butter, and add it with the liquid.

Amazon did not package it well -- it just came in the rather flimsy, coloured Zojirushi carton, without even being taped closed -- anyone could open the carton in about 5 seconds.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't last as long as it should, Dec 19 2013
I have had my Zojirushi breadmaker for about 2 years now. It started making an awful noise a few weeks back and I was told the belt was most likely coming off the pulley. The machine is impossible to get into to check ourselves, so we phoned Zojirushi and were told there was no service centre in our province. We have to ship it to another province. I make bread regularly and this is a great inconvenience. Would I buy this machine again...no! I had a Black and Decker before this machine and never had a problem. When I got my Zojirushi, I gave my other machine to my daughter. I am disappointed in this product, and will most likely buy a new breadmaker (different product) rather than ship is away for repair.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great machine but..., Nov. 11 2012
We've been using this machine fairly regularly for about 8 months and it has made fantastic bread - best of any machine we've had. Recently the socket on the stir bars stripped and they no longer stir so the bread isn't mixed properly. Would have been a 5-star rating if not for this issue. Waiting to hear about a replacement.

4.0 out of 5 stars 0 Star for UPS & Amazon Damaged packing.5 Star for Zojirushi!, Jan. 17 2012
Takeshi (British Columbia Canada) - See all my reviews
Received the unit via UPS in a very flimsy badly damaged factory type coloured carton. As you would see in a store.
Unit was NOT packed in a secondary carton for safe shipping by Amazon.ca as was my Zojirushi rice cooker.
This resulted in damage to all corners and severe punctures to side of carton. The unit was supported by 4 styro-foam supports which helped to keep unit centred in carton and the punctures did not strike unit,however unit must have had a severe drop as the lower styro-foam support was crushed by the force.
It was on the heavy motor side causing minor damage to the plastic surrounding one of the base feet on the back right side.
In view of all this ZERO STARS Awarded to UPS and Amazon.ca for all this.I have notified Amazon.ca by phone regards my concerns.
However an immediate unit test was in order. I chose to make the Gluten free course. The result I am pleased and relieved to report was a perfect loaf.
Next I tried the Jam course for Marmalade. It was a resounding flop.
I next tried the regular whole wheat course. The result again I am happy and relieved to report was a perfect loaf.
So I am relieved that after all the mistreatment at the hands of UPS the machine works very well.
Therefore I hereby award 5 STARS to Zojirushi for their Virtuoso BB-PAC20 machine.

March 1st 2012,
Going by new reviews see that I am not the only one with my comments about bad inadequate non-existant packing and carton damage by shipper UPS.
Box was just dumped on my doorstep unannounced. Per the tracking I was able to make myself available on the due delivery date,otherwise the item could be picked up by any passer-by seeing the highly attractive coloured factory carton.
I hope Amazon CA is taking note.
Bad move using UPS and I see that even my DVD order will be shipped by UPS. What ever happened to Canada Post I say???
I am not best pleased with Amazon and will be very leery ordering from them in the future.
Don't like UPS's "Brokerage Charges" for Amazon UK and DE,DVD purchases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, Feb. 9 2012
We bought this bread machine after a lot of researching. We have only used it three times so far but each time the finished product has been amazing. Nice and brown on top ...... as well as we used the timer and woke up to hot bread for breakfast and a great aroma too!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we were looking for!, April 30 2013
This was an upgrade to our previous bread maker. I was worried about the significant cost difference between this and other models, but I took caution to the wind and went for it. My family is glad I did because we love it! We use it all the time. No more store bought bread and buns for us anymore

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Machine, Nov. 26 2012
The best bread machine ever. Makes delicious loaves and I don't even use the extra vital wheat gluten the recipes call for. I live in Saskatchewan and the the flour I buy is excellent and so far all recipes have turned out perfect without the vital wheat gluten. The 100% whole wheat bread is the lightest I have ever made. I am extremely happy with this bread machine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zojirushi BB-PAC20, Jan. 17 2012
very good machine, makes good bread. big loaf also. will buy another one for my grand mother. 10/10 only one thing missing would be a trap for add on ingredient.

3.0 out of 5 stars Well bulit machine, but some concerns and shipping packing, Feb. 7 2012
Received this high end machine just like "sale as is" open box item. No
packing at all, only the Zojirushi box with damage to all corners and severe
punctures to side of carton just like downstair said. Zojirushi box is
unsealed (unsealed on my rice cooker box too)the manual almost dropped out.
This machine unit is well built. Improved by add the heater on the lid, but no
add dispenser. The interior of baking pan is PTFE coated (PTFE=Teflon), which
is very easy getting scratches, you better watching!

I read a review from .com, I'm concerned this issue too:
" The machine works well but after about a year of regular use I notice that
the holes in the paddle that insert onto the paddle axes eroded and hence the
paddle had to be replaced. My main concern was over that year, my family
injested the eroded paddle metal. When I contacted Zojirushi about this
concern, hoping they would send me a redesigned paddle they brushed me off. I
dont want to continue eating my Zoriuchi paddles. "

I guess the rotating shafts(Stainless steel)eroded the holes of kneading
paddle(Aluminum).