march Unlimited cloud storage snsflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools boutiques-francophones Registry

Showing 1-10 of 146 reviews(5 star). Show all reviews
on November 27, 2012
I've been making bread in my Cuisinart Bread machine for my family until it broke down a few months ago. I have spent quite awhile doing research on various machines and was very impressed with the reviews that Zojirushi bread machines received. I decided on the Zojirushi Virtuoso because of the modification made with the heat element in the lid to help brown the top of the bread. I figured, that if I am going to invest this kind of money in a machine I want the one with updated features.
First, I am truly impressed with how quickly I received my purchase from Amazon. I bought the item on a Saturday and got free shipping (which was supposed to take 5-7 days) and it arrived two days later. The packaging was great, no damage to the box, padding inside to ensure that it didn't slide around.

When I unwrapped the machine I was immediately thrilled with the quality of the machine itself. Compared to my Cusinart bread machine you can tell you get what you pay for. The machine is solid and doesn't feel like tin like my previous machine. The bread pan is also impressive. I love the handles on each side (which is also a new feature on this Zojirushi model), the pan is also very solid with a good weight to it. Another big improvement from my previous machine is how the easy it is to insert and remove the pan into the machine (this is the one major thing I hated about the Cusinart bread machine).

The first bread I made was Challah (egg bread). This is used on the dough setting then braided by hand and finished in the oven. The dough setting worked perfectly. The double paddle made a big difference in the texture of the dough. I then made a bread machine recipe for oatmeal bread (my mom used to make this when I was a kid). I found the recipe online. It turned out great, it didn't rise as nicely as I would have liked, but it browned perfectly and it was yummy.

Tonight I decided to try the original recipe my mother used to make (not meant for the bread machine) and modified it slightly. The results were AMAZING!! You can take any bread recipe and modify it slightly for your bread machine.

Here is the recipe if you want to give it a try.

Wholesome Oatmeal Bread:
1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt
1/2 Quick Oats
2 3/4 cups of white bread flour
2 1/4 tsp of bread machine yeast
(I put the ingredients in the machine in this order making an indentation in the flour on top for the yeast to sit)

Put the machine on the Basic Regualr cycle. I like the medium crust setting.

Enjoy!!

I highly recommend this machine. If you are looking to invest in a quality machine this is worth every penny, I've had a cheaper machine and it only lasted a year before it completely died. This machine is also incredibly quiet and it's nice not to have to babysit it to make sure it doesn't bounce off the counter during the kneading cycle...LOL!!
on November 26, 2012
The best bread machine ever. Makes delicious loaves and I don't even use the extra vital wheat gluten the recipes call for. I live in Saskatchewan and the the flour I buy is excellent and so far all recipes have turned out perfect without the vital wheat gluten. The 100% whole wheat bread is the lightest I have ever made. I am extremely happy with this bread machine.
on April 5, 2012
This bread machine is quiet in operation and seems well-made, so far; we've had it for only a couple of weeks. The bread loaves are evenly browned and have a good texture. Before this, we had a Cuisinart which kept malfuncioning - we had to have it replaced three times and finally gave up. The one feature about the Cuisinart I liked was that it gave a signal for removing the paddle if you wanted to remove it; the Zojirushi doesn't offer that option, and I haven't yet figured out whether it's even possible take the paddles out before the final rise with this machine -- but on the other hand, the paddles don't seem to create much of a problem; just sometimes a bit of crust gets caught beneath one or another and makes it more difficult to release the loaf when it's done. Altogether this seems like a really good machine; I hope it lasts well.

The recipes that come with it seem to contain too much sugar and salt, so I've adjusted them so that they have half the salt called for, and decreased the sugar as well to achieve a good balance for the yeast. I also use olive oil instead of butter, and add it with the liquid.

Amazon did not package it well -- it just came in the rather flimsy, coloured Zojirushi carton, without even being taped closed -- anyone could open the carton in about 5 seconds.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon October 22, 2015
I'm posting this review to provide others info when comparing this unit (Virtuoso) with the other popular model from Zojirushi (Supreme).
I wasn't able to find a comparison on Amazon anywhere else, so hopefully this will help someone who is trying to decide between which of the 2 models they should purchase.

This link has information about the 2 models, and about halfway down the page there's a handy little comparison chart which displays the difference between the two units.

I think the main difference is the top heating coil in the Virtuoso, and the auto gluten-free setting.
on April 30, 2013
This was an upgrade to our previous bread maker. I was worried about the significant cost difference between this and other models, but I took caution to the wind and went for it. My family is glad I did because we love it! We use it all the time. No more store bought bread and buns for us anymore
on February 9, 2012
We bought this bread machine after a lot of researching. We have only used it three times so far but each time the finished product has been amazing. Nice and brown on top ...... as well as we used the timer and woke up to hot bread for breakfast and a great aroma too!!!
on March 21, 2014
Right up front an excellent product. Sturdy it's solid and heavy. And it is quiet. This my 3rd bread machine. First one was a Panasonic. It died decades ago. Next one and still is a work horse. An old my guess 10 plus years old Black and Decker.

The Zoj requires a little tweaking to the recipes. I looked at the B/D machine. It uses only BEST FOR BREAD YEAST not the slower Active Dry yeast. The difference is the size of the yeast grains. Instant are very fine compared to the standard active yeast. B/D whole wheat is a 4 hr 10 minute rise using quick yeast.

So I used the B/D recipe for whole wheat in the ZOJ with one small tweak. 1/2 the yeast was instant 1/2 was standard. Then used the regular setting not the quick rise.

PERFECTION !!! Just like the B/D loaf but horizontal not vertical.

The old B/D sounds like an old pickup truck rattling etc when it kneads . Not the ZOJIRUSHI !! VERY GLAD I bought this new machine.
on August 20, 2014
I originally bought the Zojirushi Home Bakery Supreme but found the tops of the loaves were always undercooked and crumbly so I sold that one and upgraded to this model because it has a heater in the lid. It really makes all the difference... loaves of bread come out perfect every time. If you're going to spend a few bucks on a good breadmaker I highly recommend you spend a few more bucks and get this one. It's very easy to use and clean up is simple plus it cooks traditional rectangular sized loaves. I'm not too fussy about a lot of bread recipes that Zojirushi provides, mainly because I don't think they are very well suited for Canadian flour products, so I use my own 2-lb. bread and dough recipes and they work great.
on June 3, 2014
I enjoy the fact that I am able to use recipes I developed for my previous breadmaker, a Black & Decker. THe Zojirushi is very well built. Seems like the only weak point might be the paddles but I see they can be bought separately for a reasonable cost. I use it approx 1ce a week and it seems like it will last for many years. The internal clock makes it easy to set the delay. All my recipes have some whole wheat and work well on the wheat setting. Haven't tried the home made setting yet. Amazon's free shipping arrived in less than a week on the day they said it would arrive. Well packaged and perfectly intact.
on April 25, 2013
I have had a B'n'D bread machine for over 10 years and have successfully baked wheat and other gluten breads. I now need to bake gluten free and was not satisfied with the end product in my usual machine.

I purchased this Zoji model because it includes the machine qualities I wanted for gluten free baking: memory for my own programmed options which means I can control the amount of time for each cycle - warm-up, knead, rise, bake, keep warm. This is key for successful gluten free baking which does not require the extra kneading and rising times that gluten flours need. The other quality I wanted was a pan within the 1 1/2 - 2 pound size which is recommended for many GF recipes. The larger pan, for example that the fabulous-looking Breville machine offers, is unfortunately too large as it can bake 3 pound loaves.

I have had this Zoji machine for 6 weeks so it's still new to me. However I have tried its regular bread cycle, programmed my own gluten free cycles for both baking a loaf of bread, and for mixing dough. I am so pleased with the results. I must add that I am baking from Donna Washburn and Heather Butt's 125 GF Bread Machine Recipes which focus on higher fibre and healthier grains. Very flavourful as well. The recipes included with the Zoji machine are not varied in flour content, nor do they offer much fibre.

The Zoji machine and parts are noticeably of good quality, especially the non-stick pan and paddles.

One concern I had was going from a single-paddle pan to the Zoji 2-paddle pan. That has not beenan issue at all because of the quality of non-stick finish which readily frees the baked loaf.

In my opinion, it's been money well-spent. I highly recommend this model, especially for the GF bakers out there.