5.0 out of 5 stars A fine 4:3 android tablet
Published on Jan. 18 2012 by Ken B

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Build Quality
Published on Feb. 2 2012 by PCrane

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine 4:3 android tablet, Jan. 18 2012
This review is from: Le Pan II 9.7-Inch Multi-Touch Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4 OS (Personal Computers)
This is a wonderful tablet, a very pleasant surprise given the rather unknown brand and very fair price. I actually didn't buy it as a bargain but rather as one of the best 4:3 tablets available today. Many of us android users quietly struggle with the 16:10/16:9 form factors. Great for video consumption but rather awkward to handle in the 10" range and not very useful in portrait mode. In my humble opinion, 4:3 is much more comfortable and natural for websites, magazines, kindle/nook app and pdf content. One of the only true advantages of the ipad. I am fussy about screens and was pleasantly surprised that the Le Pan II has a beautiful screen. I've held it side by side with an ipad and an ASUS transformer, it more than measures up. As other reviewers have noted, the build quality is also very good. Current firmware fixes the WIFI issue. You get excellent battery life and stock Honeycomb 3.2.1 with the promise of 4.0. Finally, the upgraded processor (Qualcomm APQ8060 Snapdragaon 1.2 GHz, Dual Core - same as HP touchpad and Galaxy S II phone) is immensely capable and a worthy upgrade from the 1st generation Le Pan. Yeah its a bargain but, in my opinion, this is one of the best overall current generation android tablets out there at any price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Le Pan II review, July 15 2012
Le Pan II was lets say, not an easy choice at first because lets face it the name of "Le Pan" is not widely known in the consumer market. After weeks of reviewing the on-line specs and the back and forth of should I buy a what looks to be the specs of an Ipad 2 at below half the price. The burning question was is this worth the risk... I am happy to report that this is WELL worth the money, even more so if your comparing to other Android tablets and even as far as the Ipad 2.

This great package has everything that should be in a tablet and then some. The extra surprises are the demo's I have with my work colleges as they come sporting they're Ipads, Galaxy tabs, transformer Prime etc. but all can't compete with the speed or have the same results as I have on the Le Pan, as the OS is stock honey comb everything works smooth and with out issues. The system is easy and the hardware is top notch. Lets not for get that even though its flying and smooth now the unit will be updating within a few weeks to the new ICS which builds on the already great Operating System. If you know much about Android this is really a big deal.

I dropped it the first week... yes I was devastated, However with the sad exception of minor scratches and some chips in the hard plastic the tablet is still running perfect to this day. Purchase date Jan 2012. A true t estimate to the solid construction of the unit, there really is a premium feel to the materials used.

Down falls, well after all that praise would you believe I have a down fault. The Camera, although the front camera is great for conference and video chats via Gtalk, and Skype it is only a 2mp camera. Now that isn't really bad as most tablets are of this price are the same, only issue is there is no rear facing camera, this is all you get. So if your planing on making this your all in one, think again as the camera is not as good as most phones but it does do the job for video chats and to get the picture across via emails just not as good as other tables with rear cameras of higher mega pixels.

After you consider the Specs, Operating System, and quality; you are left with one decision, is it worth the less money to take the risk on this newer company. The short answer is "ABSOLUTELY YES". After your left with some extra cash head over to the Google play store and spend some money and get rocking with cool software.

(I don't do reviews, I just honestly thought this was something worthy of my 2 cents.)

4.0 out of 5 stars LePan WiFi, Jan. 12 2012
StephenB - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The latest LePan firmware update (4626) of January 9, 2012 addresses WiFi and freeze issues some tablets are experiencing. Users may also wish to install the free Android WiFi Analyzer app in order to find the best channel on which to lock one's router rather than just accepting the router recommendation. LePan Tech Support has been very prompt and helpful. I'm really enjoying using my LePan tablet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Questionable Build Quality, Feb. 2 2012
Prior to buying I read many reviews on their initial tablet and waited patiently for LePan II to be available. Was thrilled when I received it and initially began using. As mentioned the screen quality was great, except for some bleeding at the edges. It was responsive. Had a few instances where it froze, but wasn't overly concerned. After 4 days my happiness was replaced by frustration. I went to power on the tablet and there was no response. This had happened one day previously and powering the unit overnight resolved it. In thinking it was once again just low on battery, I plugged it in overnight. The next morning, no change as I was still unable to power on. Thinking it might be the USB charger I plugged it into the PC again overnight. Tried the reset and many other combination to power the unit on to no avail.

I contacted support, although it took a day longer cause their site was down for a bit (never a good sign), and began receiving responses. They provided much of the same suggestions as the knowledgebase articles I had read. It became evident that it was beyond any resets and that the unit was most likely faulty. Prior to this they responded in the case with an order for a USB charger and cable, plus shipping at a cost of $19. I pointed out that I only had the unit for 3 days and I would think it would be warranty even for those components. They suggested that I return it to place of purchase, as the RMA process would be lengthy given their lack of stock for LePan IIs. Could be I just happened to get a dud unit, but feel grateful that it happened now, rather then when return was not possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my purchase, April 25 2012
This is my first tablet. I wanted a mid-size tablet, not a 7" nor a 10" that I could carry easily to my job where I have some wait period during which I can read or play games. I wanted a tablet with a battey that could last my 8 hours shift. After months of waiting for the Samsung 7.7" to be available in Canada, I decided to look for something much cheaper as a first buy. I don't regret buying the Le Pan II. It's perfect for my needs.

I received it a couple of weeks ago and have experience no major problems. True the wifi speed seems irregular at first, but they issue a new update (v.118) last friday and right now I get the same speed as my desktop. I have watch movies on the NFB without problems.

Most of the time, the wifi is off on my tablet as I mainly use it to read books or play a couple of games. Battery is very good and I can use my tablet at work without lacking juice. You can set the timeout mode to your needs. Plenty of choice as you can set it at 15 seconds, 30 seconds, 1, 2, 5, 10 or 30 minutes. Mine is set at 5 minutes and whenever I need it to close earlier I just touch my on/off button (again to extend battery life).

The screen is very nice but get very smudgy so I bought an anti-glare screen protector. Bought a model for Ipad and cut it to fit my Le Pan. Works like a charm.

Bought the Kroo Wrapper as carrying, standing case. No button covering with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet at a great price., Dec 26 2012
I purchased this product having never used a tablet, but I had been reading reviews and following them, especially this brand, for almost a year. Originally I was interested in the TC 970, but when the Black Friday sale came on, my husband convinced me I'd be happier with the II. So far I adore it. I have no problems with the wifi connectivity - it found and connected to my home network more smoothly than my laptop does. It does everything I've asked it to do and more. The power button must be held for several seconds to turn on if you've completely shut down - not sure if this is why people have issues. However, in standby the tablet is just a touch to power back on. I wasn't sure if I'd like or use an e-reader, being a staunch lover of books, but it's an absolute delight to use and comes loaded with several types, the Kindle, Adobe reader and Play Books. Loading anything is super easy, just drag and drop and the tablet figures out where to put it. I also purchased the 32gb micro card so I've loaded a bunch of movies, etc. Super easy to use, I love it! It also streams NetFlix flawlessly and the picture is amazingly clear. For the money, it's a hell of a deal!
The only negative things are so small that they barely merit mentioning but they are as follows: You need a 30pin connecter that is specific to LePan, the Ipad one looks the same but is a hair bigger. We found this out when looking for a 30 pin to hdmi cable, however Amazon also sells this at an excellent price. Also, the camera is forward facing only which would be great for Skype, but is impractical when taking pictures as you can't see what you're aiming at! However I didn't want it as a camera so I don't really care. The speakers aren't spectacular but they're okay and there is a headphone jack so exterior speakers are easily added. It has no usb ports, but again, I don't miss them. Anything I want or need I just grab off my computer with ease.
All in all, I use this so much more than I expected and love it so much! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Tablet for the price, March 9 2013
In last two years I have purchased about 8 Le Pan and Le Pan II tablets for my wife, son, sister, brother and some friends. They all love them and I do recommend it. In fact the price on Amazon is the cheapest And the delivery has been excellent. I am electronic geek and been Involved in designing Manufacturing of micro processors, circuit boards as well as development and certification of applications and games for desktops and mobile devices. I research and purchase quality items with reasonable prices so a word of advice don't throw away your hard earned cash on over priced brand devices just because of name. This device has as much or even more capabilities then many of them. Obviously you may find a defective device once in while but that should not take away from the capabilities of an electronic device, since they can be easily replaced or repaired.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good tablet, Feb. 16 2013
Great tablet for the price ($159 at the time of purchase in Feb 2013). Even better with the POSRUS antiglare screen protector that I ordered on eBay (specifically designed for the Le Pan). Wish that I could get the Bluerex case designed for this tablet - it's only available on Amazon.com. The case I got here is okay, but not perfect because it is designed for the HP Touchpad (which is taller than the Le Pan ii). When running apps on the tablet there is generally no lag, and scrolling is super smooth.

Compared to other cheap 9.7" tablets out there, this one has every sensor - G-sensor, ambient light sensor, GPS...I understand also that 64GB microSD cards work with the tablet, if you format the card on the tablet and then add at least one file from your PC (otherwise the size of the card doesn't show on the tablet). I will be ordering a 64GB card on Amazon, and the HDMI cable.

Note: You will see older negative reviews about this tablet here and on Amazon.com. Be aware that all of the negative reviews relating to the WiFi issues are no longer valid. The problem was fixed in a Honeycomb firmware update, and doesn't exist with tablets running Ice Cream Sandwich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet!, Jan. 20 2012
I received my Lepan II tablet several days ago. So far, the tablet has been performing flawlessly. Wifi connectivity is superb and the tablet is able to play any video file I throw at it smoothly using the BSPlayer app.

I own an Ipad 1 as well and comparing the two side by side, the Ipad feels more refined. Compared to the Lepan, the Ipad feels more substantial while the Lepan has a cheaper plastic feel.

The OS that ships with this tablet (Android 3.2.1) works well. My only concern is whether Lepan will be able to deliver an ICS update for this tablet. The reason for my concern is that an upgrade to honeycomb was promised for the Lepan I, but that update never happened (due to hardware limitations). This is not Lepan's fault since they have no control on what hardware is supported for different versions of android, but is something to be aware of nevertheless.

Overall, I am very happy with this purchase. The Lepan II is a great tablet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Price + Quality = Perfect, Jan. 25 2012
Just recieved my LePan tablet on yesterday. Already played with it for about 3 hours! This tablet works as decribed. Arrives with Android 3.2 ready for 4.0 ICS.

I read all the reviews on Amazon.ca and Amazon.com before buying. I was kind of afraid with the negative reviews. I first checked on the LePan TC 970 (First model), and decided to pay a little extra to have the LePan II. They were not a lot of negative reviews on this one. The WiFi problem a lot of person talks about is okay with the update. And the tablet now comes updated already, so no updates to do.

I am a usual Apple user and wanted an iPad. I'm new to Android and until now, I really love it. Just gotta keep discovering.

For the case, you can use any of the HP TouchPad cases because it is exacty the same size. Only thing you have to check when you buy one is to not cover the entire top of the tablet. This is where you have your buttons.

The screen is amazing. You can perfectly view the screen on a lot of angles. For the speakers, they're good. Of course, better use headphones.

I visited the LePan website before I buy because it is an unknown mark. The website is good, but couple of things still missing. If you write them, you can mae sure to have a response in the next 12 hours.

I am really hative that LePan get to work on a 30-pin plug to HDMI so I can plug it in my TV.

I highly recommend this tablet for everything you want to do. It perfect for work, perfect for playing games, perfect to watch youtube videos, show your friend some pictures. This thing is really great for travelling too. You can listen to movie in 1080p on this tablet.

Do not hesitate on an unknown mark. Just go for it!

ARRAY(0xb22b8fc0)