countdown boutiques-francophones Learn more vpcflyout Home All-New Kindle Music Deals Store sports Tools

TOP 50 REVIEWERon May 31, 2016
I purchased this item for a friend of mine, and I waited for a few weeks to get a her word on how this toaster performs. Personally, for myself, I have always bought the cheaper B&D brand, but you know how we are with our friends, right? Anyhow, she loves this unit for several reasons: it is very fast for heating up, the toasting and other cooking functions are very even; the buttons are super easy to figure out how to use, and there are all the bells and whistles that won't allow you to forget and burn whatever you put in it. Of course, the description on the product site says it all, but what matters is that this Breville model actually delivers what it promises on. I have seen it in action on the counter, and it is a very pretty or rather elegant appliance to have on the counter. The colours, the lights, and the accents are elegant. The handle is very large and round which makes it easy to pen and close. In a few words, this is a product with ergonomics in mind. Oh, cleaning is also a breeze as the entire bottom tray slides out.

Thank you from the Amazon community of reviewers for your thumbs up--helpful “YES” button. You can also click on “comment” below the helpful buttons to ask specific questions about this item.

I have fun writing in detail about each product. Even when these products are offered to us at a low or no cost--which is NOT the case for this particular product--I am equally very serious to provide the most accurate and unbiased feedback so that all of us, the consumers, can have the highest possible positive experience with our purchases.
on December 18, 2012
I needed to replace a broken Black & Decker convection toaster oven which I liked. I balked at paying so much for a toaster oven when you could get them for under $100. But our criteria were that it had to be electronic (my wife hates the ticking of the toaster timers on the non-electronic versions), it had to be compact (it shouldn't take up half the counter space), and it had to be convection (I compromised on this). This was the only one that met most of our criteria and looked good. Delivery was fast--2 days even though we expected a week to ten days. We have used many of the settings and find that it does a good job at cooking, reheating and toasting. We had to experiment a bit with the settings to get the toast just right, and it varies by the kind of bread you use. The feature where you can add 'a little bit more time' is nice. It heats to cooking temperature quickly. Broiling was fast to make quick open-faced grilled cheese. The tray that comes with it is heavy duty metal that is enamelled--not the flimsy aluminum ones you get with the cheaper ovens. The crumb tray is easily accessible and slides in and out easily, which facilitates keeping it clean. The overall quality of materials seems better on this one than on the cheaper ovens. The manual that comes with it is comprehensive and easy to understand. Well worth the price.
0Comment| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 15, 2016
Our old toaster oven was one it's last legs so we decided to get a new one and upgrade at the same time. Reviews for this one were very positive and I can see why. great oven. It actually toasts, broils, reheats and bakes etc... Due to it's size it also heats up very quickly. In the time it would take a normal over to get to 350 degrees this one will be there and the actual cooking process would be well on the way to being completed. Almost seems like a microwave oven it's so fast.

Easy to use and looks good in the kitchen. I was in a store recently and they has all the toaster ovens in this series and I am glad I bought this ones it is the perfect size. If I was in a small apartment I do think you could get away with one of the bigger models over a full size stove.
on February 4, 2016
I have been using this toaster oven for over two years, so I think I am now in a position to write a review on it. The following is my comments:

Price: I did considerable research before I made the purchase. At the time of my purchase, Amazon offered the best price which was at least CAD$20 cheaper than any online stores or retailers in Vancouver.

Design: It has a sleek and clean design in matt stainless steel which, I think, will go with any classic or contemporary kitchen design. The interior matt stainless steel and the sliding crumb tray make cleaning easy and convenient. The control panel has a user-friendly design, and the function dial, LCD screen and buttons for various settings are all large and easy to read and use. The LCD screen indicates if the oven is preheating, and when it reaches the pre-set temperature, the cooking time will start counting down automatically throughout the cooking cycle. It is almost a fool-proof design!

Functions: We use the Toast function almost every day. It can toast up to 4 slices of bread at a time and the browning settings range from 1 to 7 (the darkest). However, I have never made a toast with browning setting higher than 3 and it usually takes no more than 2 minutes to brown a toast to my desired crispiness. The Bagel function is good for toasting bagel, or reheating a pizza or open sandwich as it gives out higher temperature to the top without burning the bottom of the toast.

Before the Bake, Roast, Reheat and Pizza functions operate, it first starts at the pre-heating mode. This mini oven takes quite a short time to preheat and can reach a temperature of 425F within just 3 minutes. This saves a lot of energy compared to my conventional oven.

The Broil function does not require preheating and therefore makes it a great helper in my cooking. This is particular helpful when you do stir-frying and want to sear certain ingredients, such as fish or meat slices, before mixing them with other ingredients which require just quick stir-frying. I never use my conventional oven for searing because it will cost so much time and energy for preheating.

My limited experience with the Pizza function is not particularly good because it tends to make the pizza crust too dry and hard. Perhaps I just need more practice. This oven is large enough for a 10 inch pizza.

Special notes:

The 'A Bit More' button is a super design and we use it all the time! If the food is not yet cooked to our desired liking at the end of the cooking cycle, we press this button to add just a bit more time to continue the cooking cycle. For example, by pressing the button once, it adds 30 seconds to Toast, 2 minutes to Broil, and 5 minutes to Bake, etc. I can use this button anytime during the cooking cycle or immediately after.

This oven has three rack positions where you can place the wire rack. In the manual, it suggests the top position for Broil. I must say that I have never used the top position for any function because this will leave your food very close to the top heating element and you will get it burnt easily for whatever function you use. Similarly, when I use the bottom rack position for Bake or Roast, I sometimes find the bottom of the food a bit too dark. I cannot use the middle rack position for Bake or Roast because the overall interior height is just about 4.5 inches and there is not enough 'height' to move around some food, such as a medium-sized potato or yam. If I were to redesign it, I would just spread the interior height of the oven evenly into two rack positions so that in either rack position, the food will not be too close to the heating element.

This mini oven has quite a loud and sharp beeper and it sounds once every time you press any button and three times at the end of the preheating or cooking cycle. I find it a bit annoying, but over time have got used to it. I mentioned it because it might be a nuisance to other members of your household if your kitchen is near a study room or bedroom.

Finally, I need to mention that the top of the oven can get very hot during its operation and it sometimes warm up my upper kitchen cabinet a bit. Therefore you need to make sure that there is sufficient clearance between the top of the oven and your upper cabinets. Also, when I Bake or Roast, I would pull the oven a bit away from the backsplash so that the oven is not directly under the upper cabinets. I can also 're-direct' the heat by placing a plate or a cooked dish on the top of the oven and use it as a warming tray.

Conclusion: My husband and I both agreed that this was one of the best small appliances we had purchased. What we thought would be used primarily for making toasts or reheating leftovers has turned out to be a great helper in my everyday cooking. I gave it 5 stars even though there is room for improvement. If there was the choice, I would have given it four and a half stars. This Breville Mini Smart Oven is the smallest one in its series and it also comes in two other sizes. I highly recommend this mini oven to small households and would advise bigger households to consider the larger ones. By coincidence, my sister-in-law has been using the largest one for more than two years for her growing family.
on November 2, 2013
I bought this mini oven this summer, to avoid getting the kitchen heated up when temperatures reached 35 degrees!
I have been using it for 4 months now and am very happy with it. It delivers on all counts. I have made muffins, reheated meals, broiled gratin dishes, made toasts and bagels. It is reliable and does what it is supposed to do.
It also saves on electricity because I do not have to heat up my regular, large, oven. And produces results faster.
I also like it because it is not too big. I was able to fit it on a small countertop, an important consideration when has a small ktichen.
on February 26, 2016
I have been using this toaster-oven for a month now and I have to say this: AT LAST, a toaster-oven which is NOT bad science. I am saving a bundle on my electricity bill as I don't have to heat-up our big oven for small quantity meals, e.g. fish & chip, fries, bruschettas, veggies). Sure, it is on the expensive side... but what a cleverly thought-out appliance. I wanted a small appliance that would not take an awful lot of space on my counter: mission accomplished, and still it has enough space to cook an 11 inch pizza or four toasts. The positioning and labeling of the selector and buttons make the unit very easy to operate: in other words, the learning curve is short. The display is very clear and provides many indications on cooking parameters that you can fine tune. In a world of noise generated by devices surrounding us, you will come to appreciate that this unit's timer is electronic, contrary to cheap units that are ticking loudly. This Breville does its job, then alerts you that your dish is ready. Voilà! Cleaning is also very easy. This toaster-oven is worth every dollar I spent to acquire it.
on February 9, 2016
Really like the toaster, especially because we were looking for a decent quality unity that fit in a small space. One of the things that has started to become a problem is un-even toasting. It appears that the "logic" for the toast setting and the bagel setting are the same. The weird thing is that the problem is intermittent. I've looked for variables that we control, like clean crumb tray, but we haven't been able to sort the problem out. We've contacted Breville and are awaiting their response.
on August 8, 2015
The appearance and functions of the BOV450XL are great however I am on my second unit. The back of the first unit got so hot that it melted the insulation on the plug and wires, exposing them and creating in my opinion a fire hazard. I notified Breville and they sent a replacement unit, telling me it is not a "cool touch" oven. The second unit has the same problem. I understand that the exterior of the oven can get very hot to the touch but would not expect hot enough to melt the insulation on the plug wires. Secondly, I do not have a tendency to reach behind the oven to touch it when in operation so it is not my hands I am worried about. We have been careful to pull the unit away from the wall before using it but today someone forgot and it actually melted the cord insulation of our coffee maker that happens to be plugged into the same receptacle. I would caution anyone that is considering purchasing this unit to at least be aware of the problem. I would not recommend this unit as in my opinion it poses a fire hazard. For the record, I sent Breville temperature readings of the rear during a toast cycle - they were in excess of 325 degrees F. Personally I believe it's a design flaw but again, just my opinion.
on March 5, 2014
Convenient for small cooking tasks. The coating on the pan that came with it failed; it's not a high-glazed enamel finish. Front-removing crumb tray is easy to clean. The toast is usually disappointing. "A bit more" makes toast a bit harder, not necessarily a bit darker. It's better to set it to toast darker than you want, watch it and shut the oven off when you're satisfied with the colour. Having an auto-off on all cooking functions is a plus. Easy to program.

Update: my t.o. "died" after a bit more than 2 1/2 years. (No display, no heat, and this happened mid-toasting). I had it repaired at a local shop Breville customer service referred me to. Cost $40+tax because not under warranty; repair warranty is 3 months. I am, of course, hoping for another 2 1/2 years of use...
on September 7, 2015
Three stars since it worked well but only for 11 months of relatively light use for toast in a largely one person household. I was delighted though, that Amazon would accept a return after so many months and I have ordered a replacement since I think we just got a dud. I think I warranted a replacement, in part, because I purchase a lot of things through Amazon, hence a good will replacement. I have been pleased with the Amazon service. Five stars!