march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage SmartSaver Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools ca_ty_gno

on December 18, 2012
I needed to replace a broken Black & Decker convection toaster oven which I liked. I balked at paying so much for a toaster oven when you could get them for under $100. But our criteria were that it had to be electronic (my wife hates the ticking of the toaster timers on the non-electronic versions), it had to be compact (it shouldn't take up half the counter space), and it had to be convection (I compromised on this). This was the only one that met most of our criteria and looked good. Delivery was fast--2 days even though we expected a week to ten days. We have used many of the settings and find that it does a good job at cooking, reheating and toasting. We had to experiment a bit with the settings to get the toast just right, and it varies by the kind of bread you use. The feature where you can add 'a little bit more time' is nice. It heats to cooking temperature quickly. Broiling was fast to make quick open-faced grilled cheese. The tray that comes with it is heavy duty metal that is enamelled--not the flimsy aluminum ones you get with the cheaper ovens. The crumb tray is easily accessible and slides in and out easily, which facilitates keeping it clean. The overall quality of materials seems better on this one than on the cheaper ovens. The manual that comes with it is comprehensive and easy to understand. Well worth the price.
0Comment|92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 2, 2013
I bought this mini oven this summer, to avoid getting the kitchen heated up when temperatures reached 35 degrees!
I have been using it for 4 months now and am very happy with it. It delivers on all counts. I have made muffins, reheated meals, broiled gratin dishes, made toasts and bagels. It is reliable and does what it is supposed to do.
It also saves on electricity because I do not have to heat up my regular, large, oven. And produces results faster.
I also like it because it is not too big. I was able to fit it on a small countertop, an important consideration when has a small ktichen.
on August 8, 2015
The appearance and functions of the BOV450XL are great however I am on my second unit. The back of the first unit got so hot that it melted the insulation on the plug and wires, exposing them and creating in my opinion a fire hazard. I notified Breville and they sent a replacement unit, telling me it is not a "cool touch" oven. The second unit has the same problem. I understand that the exterior of the oven can get very hot to the touch but would not expect hot enough to melt the insulation on the plug wires. Secondly, I do not have a tendency to reach behind the oven to touch it when in operation so it is not my hands I am worried about. We have been careful to pull the unit away from the wall before using it but today someone forgot and it actually melted the cord insulation of our coffee maker that happens to be plugged into the same receptacle. I would caution anyone that is considering purchasing this unit to at least be aware of the problem. I would not recommend this unit as in my opinion it poses a fire hazard. For the record, I sent Breville temperature readings of the rear during a toast cycle - they were in excess of 325 degrees F. Personally I believe it's a design flaw but again, just my opinion.
on October 29, 2014
After many cheap toaster ovens it's good to have one that really performs. Toaster works extremely well and toasts evenly on both sides. I like the "Bit More" function that adds some time if you;re not happy with the doneness. I like the oven as well and will use it rather than cranking up my gas oven for many uses. The size is also a plus as it fits in the same size as my "late" toaster. All in all - highly recommended. While the Breville costs considerably more than the "low price"models it's a case of "you get what you pay for".
on March 5, 2014
Convenient for small cooking tasks. The coating on the pan that came with it failed; it's not a high-glazed enamel finish. Front-removing crumb tray is easy to clean. The toast is usually disappointing. "A bit more" makes toast a bit harder, not necessarily a bit darker. It's better to set it to toast darker than you want, watch it and shut the oven off when you're satisfied with the colour. Having an auto-off on all cooking functions is a plus. Easy to program.

Update: my t.o. "died" after a bit more than 2 1/2 years. (No display, no heat, and this happened mid-toasting). I had it repaired at a local shop Breville customer service referred me to. Cost $40+tax because not under warranty; repair warranty is 3 months. I am, of course, hoping for another 2 1/2 years of use...
on September 13, 2012
This toaster is great. Digital timer for and special heat settings to cook just about anything. Well built and looks great without taking a lot of space on my counter top. I would recommend this to anyone.
on March 9, 2013
This is a quality product that I would recommend to anyone. The oven is small enough to fit easily on the countertop and looks clean and modern. One of the only toaster ovens I have found that does a fantastic job of making toast! There are no knobs or dials to twist - everything is a simple button setting. Did a great job baking potatoes, chicken strips and other small items you wouldn't want to heat up a large oven for. This oven is the perfect size for one or two people.
on March 20, 2014
The Breville mini smart oven is a good size in replacement of a typical microwave. it's efficient and effective. quiet too. the only downside to the design of this appliance is the door. The handle it chunky and the door doesnt really stay opened securely. other than that, it's great.
on May 19, 2013
I am very impressed with this toaster-oven. Over the years I have gone through several toaster-ovens, none of which really did what they are supposed to do. This one actually toasts the bread in record time & repeatedly produces consistent results. I give this product 5 stars, well done Breville!
on January 21, 2013
This works well as a toaster (my main use) and as an oven. It is easy to use and works better than any toaster oven that I have ever had. Well worth the extra cost.