march boutiques-francophones Unlimited cloud storage vpcflyout Furniture Introducing Kindle Oasis Music Deals Store sports Tools Family

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on November 19, 2003
I've seen the film twice now, and it is dated. A classic stands the test of time: what had been called naturalistic acting in this film is today melodrama. Of course, this is a landmark film, but it does not hold up "suprisingly well." The second time I saw this film was in a film appreciation class, and people litteraly laughed at the movie and couldn't wait for it to end. It's a time capsule film and nothing more: it's important for the time it was made and the effect it had then, but it doesn't hold up. "Grand Illusion" is a classic war film and should be seen as the quintisential WWI film. The only reason to see "All Quiet..." now is for film history.
on September 19, 2002
I didn't think this was particularly well done... in comparison with the book it can't hold a candle. I was surprised at the good quality of the film, for being so old. I didn't think that most of the actors looked right for the parts, particularly Kat. And the movie dragged on and on and on....
I guess as I watched it I kept thinking of better ways this could have been filmed to coincide better with the powerful impact of the story.
See it if you like, but I really can't recommend it...
on April 21, 1999
Though this movie was undoubtedly a shocker in its time, its depiction of young Germans in the trenches of the Great War is rather too dated to be effective for an audience watching it for enjoyment. I have no doubt that as a historical piece, it is unsurpassed, but so it is with "Mein Kampf," which almost no one would wish to read as leisure. The sound and picture, even on this version, are quite poor. (Earned a sopt on AFI's 100 best American movies list.)